• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Rallying the World for Emortalism

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 02:36 AM

Does anybody have a propaganda ad campaign in the works or know the ins and outs of it?
What I mean is a campaign to spread the word about Emortalism.

Here are some basics of what I see as the best way,

Motivational statistics that show the people this maze we need to navigate to get to the cures, from above. I have an idea of what those statistics are but need help discussing the list.

And

A list of all the jobs needed to cure diseases to the level we decide would work. (ie, what 900,000,000 people would do if we got them recruited)

And

Taking these statistics and misc propaganda to the world on an unprecedented scale. Tv movie, song, speeches, conventions, novelty etc…

Please give me all your ideas on this.

There are some really rough draft elaborations on this way of motivating and bringing this to light at http://geocities.com...ive01/jobslist1

#2 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 05:22 AM

Tossing a wide net I see.. ;) Your plans ar quite ambitious but your certainly one right path to make positive change.

Right now we're so few in number that we're still finding each other. So, our current focus in to use the power of the internet to network and learn... in the process we can prepare and make mistakes in cyberspace before going into TV and other mass media.

You may wish to download one of the following to help with public education:

Posted Image
http://www.imminst.o...Inst_Single.doc
One page print out with ImmInst's Mission and Invitation to Join

Posted Image
http://www.imminst.o...mInst_Flyer.doc
Flyer with tags at bottom with ImmInst web address

Posted Image
http://www.imminst.o...nst_Trifold.doc
One page trifold brochure with Basic ImmInst Mission and Contact Info

#3 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 05:04 AM

I will be printing this literature endlessly and distributing it. Great job getting that together.

My net is wide but I need to discuss it with you all here to narrow down the ranges, plug in the rest of the details. The thoughts I have provided are just to get the ball rolling for discussion on creating it in full.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 05:18 AM

Letter to send as a negotiation to politicians: (I dont know what to write exactly so critisize me so I can learn.)

Extended Life Spans; This Gordian Knot Has Been Cut

This glorious existence weve been thrust into has long been throwing its milieu of challenges at us. Plagues, the challenge of industrializing, world conflict, the dream of getting to that ever soul enchanting moon, mechanization, technology and economic balancing to name a few. With each step up we have come to have the chance at new and exciting goals, Like gun powder to rockets, rockets to flight and flight, up to that luminous orb that had for so long been unreachable. We stand now at the door steps of ever more wonderous dreams that have so long seemed as equally unreachable. Like world peace, reaching the limits of space, and most importantly, why I’m writing today, to push back the eternal wall of obliteration that is our deaths. Tokeep our one and only glorious, incredible and opportunity filled, dream chasing souls alive longer, indefinently.

How long? I don’t know, but with the plan of action to mobilize the world that we have to present to you, the possibility leaves the mind in eager anticipation. For with out cellular break down through carcinogen, aging, viral attack, etc.. what would kill us? Save for accidents, our lives would seem to be indefinite. And there is nothing wrong with this my good people. Though it has been tradition to die at given ages for so long, up until the landing on the moon it had been tradition to not go to the moon too.

We the people of the world need you to accept a plan for aid to jump start this historic change in the face of existence. We need you to embrace it fully and take on any activities deemed necessary to make this happen. The world and resources are here, dying to get this done, all that’s left to do is set up the structure and let we the world turn the cogs, and produce the desired outcomes. To do this we have a three step plan of action.

The plan is so simple that its entirely inconceivable that we don’t go forth with it. In some lights the conundrum of extending life spans can appear to be a complex knot, but this Gordian knot has been cut. I say this with no light sentiments on my heart. The time is now. Its time we claim our existence and slow the slaughter indefinently. We simply

A. Work with knowledgeable people to get the statistics that paint out where we are, how far we have to go, what we have to do, who has to do what and when it needs to be done.
B. Work with knowledgeable professionals to work out the amount and names of jobs that the world will fill.
C. Work with the top advertising agencies to blanket the world with this list of jobs along with the sentiment that “nobody acts until everything on this list is signed up for. So sign up for what you can do. When the list is complete you simply fulfill what you have indicated you can do and the cures will manifest themselves.”

So make it happen. Give us the money to get this list under way. Its happening, we just need you to hand us the sword to cut this next knot.

Here is a break down of the basic steps (still being sorted through, critiscized, thought on and revised at http://geocities.com...ive01/jobslist1 )

Very Truly Yours,
Yada yada yada
Associate of
EXLS Campaign
Extending life spans

(Or something like that)

#5 randolfe

• 439 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 04:03 AM

The idea of "holding back" so we make mistakes in cyberspace instead of the mass media is ill advised.
We have to smash down the doors of accepted social philosophical thought. The current debates revolving around cryonics--everything from preserving Ted Williams to setting up new facilities in Florida--raises the "unthinkable" issue of possible physical resurrection after death.
Our ideas will never be discussed or accepted until they are included in today's debates. I'd love to see some confrontations with Leon Kass in which those who believe in longer healthier lives label him for what he is, an apostle of death!

#6 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 04:06 AM

randolfe.. ImmInst will be holding a conference in Atlanta Jan 2005... we will be looking for pro and anti immortality speakers.. of which Kass is on the list.

I would really like to see Kass vs Authur Caplan.

#7 reason

• Guardian Reason
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 03:26 AM

The idea of "holding back" so we make mistakes in cyberspace instead of the mass media is ill advised.

How does one go about breaking into mass media? This is a large, looming problem in many of our minds; it's not for lack of wanting, trust me :) Outlining strategies and the results on experience on that would be very valuable.

Reason
Founder, Longevity Meme
reason@longevitymeme.org
http://www.longevitymeme.org

#8 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 04:53 AM

I have a feeling there's a lot of pavement pounding and handshaking and back slapping involved... at least at the start.

#9 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 05:42 PM

I've posted some of the flyers around Boston on polls and windows and such and I've emailed local Reps and the idiot president. so I guess that's good for now, but yeah if we had higher up connections or people who are good at business that would be great to. I talked to my friend Adam who is a doctor if he wanted to spread the word about life extension to his fellow doctors, don't know if that would do anything but i'd imagine if we got people more aware and angry at the concept of involuntary death that could go a long way.

#10 Da55id

• 436 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 November 2003 - 08:22 PM

One: Create a central focal point "with legs" as a populist carrier of the message - that's one of the central purposes of the Prize. As you can see, it is working out of all proportion to the cash amount in the prize.

Two: Use the media and initial willing "credibility generators" to create a shell of an organization. This is the business/scientific advisors/people with significant track records (can't make this up -- it's gotta be real) and the "newspapers and media outlets of record" Making superb progress.

Three: Use the prize as an armature around which to build and align academic and popular support. Demonstrate staying power (nobody getting paid helps :-) fast growth and very very clever people saying it's good and cool.

Four: Create a "persistent presense" to generate consistent mind share and growing personal / internalized commitments among those somewhat inclined but looking for an outlet for action. That's the websites and toteboard and perhaps a documentary, and this board's desire to write a book. Create pdfs, banners, and other collateral material that can be downloaded, printed, folded and distributed.

Five: Generate reasons for press releases that are credible and newsworthy and put 'em out there. Go to conference - put on conferences (IABG).

Six: Create alliances and production deals so you can "draft" behind them like a bicycle can get sucked along on the borrowed energy of a truck. Create National "Chapters" that organize national grass roots efforts accretive to the overall sum of forward progress and success.

focus focus focus
persist persist persist
welcome welcome welcome all comers

and other stuff
Dave

#11 Da55id

• 436 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 November 2003 - 08:54 PM

Oh - and one other thing - really powerful movements work with what people already believe - with a powerful reframing. For instance the first people to be benefitted by the prize will be our grandchildren...the next group will be our young children...we owe this bright future to our children. We were cured of Polio - now let's give our children a legacy of long uninterrupted flourishing and vibrancy - and if we're lucky, and we deserve it enough by hard work and focus - maybe we'll be there still to share it with them.

dg

#12 randolfe

• 439 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 04:05 AM

randolfe.. ImmInst will be holding a conference in Atlanta Jan 2005... we will be looking for pro and anti immortality speakers.. of which Kass is on the list.

I would really like to see Kass vs Authur Caplan.

Well, I wouldn't hold my breath about Arthur Caplan. He is an ethical cameleon. When talking to the Christian publications, he will dodge the real issues regarding reproductive cloning and argue that "it will probably never happen".

I have debated Caplan twice. Once he won (in front of an audience of bioethicists at Princeton) and once I won (Fox News during the 2002 Academy of Science hearings).

He has created a rare niche in the our society. He is a member of the Pennsylvania School of Medicine although he has no medical degree. He picks and chooses his appearances. He no longer does local interviews.

I have a debate I had with him on-line which puts him in a very bad light. He ends up calling me a "terrorist" and says he will never answer another of my emails. I wonder if he will sue me if I use it in the book I am writing?

I would suggest you get someone like Dr. Gregory Pence from the University of Alabama for this debate. Arthur Caplan is just a master of media manipulation whose reputation far exceeds his real credentials. He is not a free thinker. His is just an establishmentarian exploiter.

#13 randolfe

• 439 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 04:19 AM

How does one go about breaking into mass media? This is a large, looming problem in many of our minds; it's not for lack of wanting, trust me :) Outlining strategies and the results on experience on that would be very valuable.

Reason
Founder, Longevity Meme
reason@longevitymeme.org
http://www.longevitymeme.org

As someone who has become an internationally recognized "expert" on human cloning even though I didn't even know the meaning of the term before the birth of Dolly, I can assure you that all it takes is imagination, promotion and dedication.

I proposed an attack on Leon Kass earlier. I would arrange to confront this man and perhaps throw human ashes on him (with alerted media there to film it all) calling him "an apostle of death".

Media manipulation requires ingenuitity. How about some small demonstration at a crematorium saying "Don't leave us! You can have another life through cryonics!" A few buckets of water on the searing flames might be appropriate here.

Every action won't be a sure-fire success. However, you have to be agressive. You have to be willing to be "outrageous" and "courageous" for what you believe in. I know because I have been active in two socially condemned movements, homosexual civil rights and reproductive human cloning. Actually, the first has become mainstream but it wasn't when I became involved in the early 1960s.

I think the ideas involved in cryonics and life extension are revolutionay. We need people fighting for these ideas on the front lines of our society.

#14 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 06:45 AM

I would suggest you get someone like Dr. Gregory Pence from the University of Alabama for this debate. Arthur Caplan is just a master of media manipulation whose reputation far exceeds his real credentials. He is not a free thinker. His is just an establishmentarian exploiter.

Thanks for the ideas and wisdom.

How clearly has Pence stated his position on the possibility and desirability of human physical immortality? I don't recall this from the speeches and writings thus far from him.

By the way, I've contacted Pence briefly.. to post the following information here at ImmInst.

#15 randolfe

• 439 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 12:03 AM

Congratulations BJKlein on putting this link in. I posted my rave beneath the page that opens when you click "following information" above and then click on the discussion at Northwestern University.
Just thought I would encourage those interested to watch Dr. Pence, Lori Andrews and the discussion panels in that discussion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users