- - - - -

Lotus regimen

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lotus

• 71 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 11:38 AM

Hi.

I've had problems with depression for years, and also other diffuse symptoms that I think are connected to the nervous system, like numbness, tiredness.
These are the supplements I take atm. I understand it's a bit different from many of the regimens here, I don't know. I've tried to read as much as I can on these supps and I've kept the ones that I feel have had positive effects on my health and well-being. I'd love to hear your comments.

Olive Leaf Extract, Swansons Herbs. Standardized to 15% oleuperin, 3-6 capsules of 500mg each day: Since I started taking it, i've never missed one day. I feel that the positive effects have been tremendous. I feel much better since starting on this extract. My headaches are all but gone, I feel much less tired, it feels easier to breathe. This is what motivated me to go further and investigate supplements and to start training and try to become as healthy as possible.

A type of multi called "Haircontrol", designed to improve skin and hair, containing:
vitC 60mg
L-metionin 60 mg
L-lysin 36mg
Niacin 30mg
Pantotenacid 15mg
Iositol 12mg
L-Cystin 10mg
Zink 7mg
Iron 5mg
Vit E 3mg
PABA 1mg
Copper 100mcg
Vit a 400mcg
Manganese 0,8 mg
Folic Acid 200mcg
Biotin 100mcg
Selenium 20mcg

And some herbs that i can't find the english translation for :/

Grape Seed Extract, standardized to 90% Polyphenols, from Now. 100 mg each day.

Well, that's it. I also

- drink a lot of green tea and roibos each day
- try drinking yerba mate instead of coffee
- eat a lot of fish and shrimp (axanthacin source?) and veggies
- don't eat meat except for seafood
- eat berries and pomegranates as often as I can find them, (thanks to the posts i've read here)
- occassionally eat spirulina and chlorella
- exercise every two days, one day more cardio, one day more strength

I feel better, but I'm still learning and I think I have some way to go before I regain my full strength.
I've been on a skiing trip recently and I loved it.

Things I'm considering:

-Turmeric/Curcumin
-more vit C
- Some type of sun lamp. I live in Scandinavia so lack of sunlight might have a negative effect on mood and hormone levels, but I dont know enough about this yet.
Also, the discussions about sun rays being bad for the immune system is confusing me a bit. I already know it's not good for the skin, but i've had very little sun exposure during my life and doctors are recommending the lamps here for dystymia/depression.

I'd love to hear your comments, especially on the yerba mate, sun lamp and olive leaf.

Ciao for now!

Edited by Lotus, 09 February 2008 - 01:44 PM.

#2 spaceistheplace

• 397 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:15 PM

- Some type of sun lamp. I live in Scandinavia so lack of sunlight might have a negative effect on mood and hormone levels, but I dont know enough about this yet.
Also, the discussions about sun rays being bad for the immune system is confusing me a bit. I already know it's not good for the skin, but i've had very little sun exposure during my life and doctors are recommending the lamps here for dystymia/depression.

You could replace all your lights with full spectrum bulbs.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 07:48 PM

Have you had your vitamin D levels checked? It's probably a good idea to get it tested, due to the lack of sunlight + depression + fatigue.

#4 Alien65

• 115 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:56 PM

Please research Sam-e. Here's a start http://www.raysahelian.com/sam-e.html

#5 Lotus

• Topic Starter
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 03:17 PM

Thank you for your suggestions. I will do some more research and maybe change some things. Nameless, I want to get my vit D levels checked but i'm not sure how to go about it. I'm afraid the medical system in my country is abit complicated. But I will try have it done.

#6 nootrope

• 88 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 04:03 PM

Some studies have related yerba mate to cancer of the head and neck. From Wikipedia:

Yerba mate consumption has been associated with increased incidence of bladder, esophageal, oral, squamous cell of the head and neck, and lung cancer.

#7 lynx

• 643 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:17 AM

Take an SSRI, seriously, why mess around when there are so many good ones out there that work.
  • Ill informed x 1

#8 Lotus

• Topic Starter
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:46 AM

Take an SSRI, seriously, why mess around when there are so many good ones out there that work.

I do take an SSRI, I'm sorry, I should have mentioned it in the post. My long term goal is to get my health back up to such a level that I can eventually start phazing out the SSRI's. I don't gamble with my health, so I take antidepressants, at the same time I don't want to have to take them forever.

#9 jinxd

• 1 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:13 PM

And some herbs that i can't find the english translation for :/

I'd love to hear your comments, especially on the yerba mate, sun lamp and olive leaf.

Ciao for now!

Jag kan översätta.

You should really consider supplementing D as I see no dairy in your regimen. I've been using a very conservative supplement dosage of about 6100IUs a week (4000IU "wet" D3 +2100IU "dry" D2) for ~2 years now & the improvements in mood & energy are tremendous! I've also lost alot of weight.

Regarding Mate; from what I gathered (& this was several years ago), the problem is that it's a hot drink (thus sharing any carcinogenic properties with eg coffee, tea etc).

I've tried "light therapy" & melatonin (in pretty much every dosage increment between 0.1mg-9mg) to no avail.

& btw, we're on the same latitude..

/jinxd

#10 Lotus

• Topic Starter
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 11:05 AM

Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions. Jinxd, I have made some research and I agree that I need to get som Vit D into my regimen.

About mate, I also agree that I think it has to do with the tempeature. The risk of getting cancer in the esophagus was found to be elevated for heavy consumers in South America. Mate is traditionally consumed with a straw from a rounded cup with a lid, so the hot liquid comes in direct contact with the esophagus. Still, there is some risk that this might be wrong and that there's actually something in the mate that causes this, and not the temperature.

I do hope they will do more studies on it though. I'm hoping they will find it harmless if consumed with a lower temperature, so that I can eventually replace coffee with mate. Anybody that knows more about reliable research/studies about mate, please share.

I need to update my regimen, next post.

Edited by Lotus, 19 October 2008 - 11:06 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#11 Lotus

• Topic Starter
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 11:29 AM

These are the supplements I have been taking daily, consistently. They are the ones that I think are the most important ones for me so far.
I take them all in the morning which seems to have an energy boosting effect. These four are the ones that I feel I need to have at home at all times. Trying to keep it simple.

Olive Leaf Extract (Swanson) 500mg containing 75mg oleuropein / Olive Leaf Extract Super Strength (Swanson) 750mg containing 20% oleuropein
Grape Seed Extract (NOW) 100mg GSE containing 90% polyphenols, 320mg Vit C, 36mg Calcium
Alpha Lipoic Acid (Swanson) 100mg
CoEnzymeq10 (Swanson) 100 mg

Planning on adding these supps:
Vit D3 - dose? Exact dose seem important.
Benfotiamine

Considering adding:
Astaxanthin
Pomegranate
Acetyl-l-carnitine - synergistic with ALA, but what does it do exactly? Need to research more. Worried about sideffects.

I would also get Omega 3 oils and Green Tea Extract, only I do consume quite a bit of fish and drink green tea, so I'm hoping I get enough of these through my diet.

Edited by Lotus, 19 October 2008 - 11:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users