Photo
- - - - -

Study suggests l-carnitine may stimulate hair growth

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 tedsez

• 74 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 07:49 AM

German researchers have found that hair follicles treated with l-carnitine in the lab demonstrated increased growth.

They encourage the exploration of "topical and nutraceutical administration of l-carnitine as a well-tolerated, relatively safe adjuvant treatment in the management of androgenetic alopecia and other forms of hair loss." (Although there's no information about what dosage might be useful for either method.)

Abstract:

The trimethylated amino acid l-carnitine plays a key role in the intramitochondrial transport of fatty acids for β-oxidation and thus serves important functions in energy metabolism. Here, we have tested the hypothesis that l-carnitine, a frequently employed dietary supplement, may also stimulate hair growth by increasing energy supply to the massively proliferating and energy-consuming anagen hair matrix. Hair follicles (HFs) in the anagen VI stage of the hair cycle were cultured in the presence of 0.5–50 μm of l-carnitine–l-tartrate (CT) for 9 days. At day 9, HFs treated with 5 μm or 0.5 μm of CT showed a moderate, but significant stimulation of hair shaft elongation compared with vehicle-treated controls (P < 0.05). Also, CT prolonged the duration of anagen VI, down regulated apoptosis (as measured by TUNEL assay) and up regulated proliferation (as measured by Ki67 immunohistology) of hair matrix keratinocytes (P < 0.5). By immunohistology, intrafollicular immunoreactivity for TGFβ2, a key catagen-promoting growth factor, in the dermal papilla and TGF-β II receptor protein in the outer root sheath and dermal papilla was down regulated. As shown by caspase activity assay, caspase 3 and 7, which are known to initiate apoptosis, are down regulated at day 2 and day 4 after treatment of HFs with CT compared with vehicle-treated control indicating that CT has an immediate protective effect on HFs to undergo programmed cell death. Our findings suggest that l-carnitine stimulates human scalp hair growth by up regulation of proliferation and down regulation of apoptosis in follicular keratinocytes in vitro. They further encourage one to explore topical and nutraceutical administration of l-carnitine as a well-tolerated, relatively safe adjuvant treatment in the management of androgenetic alopecia and other forms of hair loss.
  • Informative x 1

#2 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:46 AM

Now to use this information to grow myself a mean beard!

Edited by caston, 10 February 2008 - 09:40 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 HaloTeK

• 254 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:41 PM

Interesting, but i've always seemed to notice a little thinning of the hair on Glycine Propionyl-L-Carnitine HCI. Which always seemed to grow back after stopage. (I take the supplement for a week per month and notice this). Positive effects are so many that i still don't feel like stopping its use. Remember, hair growth in rats isn't like that of humans. I can see carnitine causing hair growth in unwanted areas of the body - because of its effects on growth hormones. And not growth in areas you would want it - ie. your head.

Edited by HaloTeK, 10 February 2008 - 10:44 PM.

#4 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 04:10 PM

Interesting, but i've always seemed to notice a little thinning of the hair on Glycine Propionyl-L-Carnitine HCI. Which always seemed to grow back after stopage. (I take the supplement for a week per month and notice this). Positive effects are so many that i still don't feel like stopping its use. Remember, hair growth in rats isn't like that of humans. I can see carnitine causing hair growth in unwanted areas of the body - because of its effects on growth hormones. And not growth in areas you would want it - ie. your head.

What positive effects are you noticing? Thanks!

#5 spaceistheplace

• 397 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 04:14 PM

wonder if the same applies for acetyl-l-carnitine?

#6 vermeer

• 1 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:18 PM

I've been using Dr. Sinatra's Omega Q Plus lately, and have noticed a definite increase in hair at the front of my scalp, a benefit of which I'd never heard. It has to be the carnitine---I've been taking fish oil for years now, seeing no such results.

#7 pro-d

• 117 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:28 PM

My head is still packed with hair, but is there anything that will safely inhibit back and shoulder hair? :(

#8 yoyo

• 582 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:41 AM

My head is still packed with hair, but is there anything that will safely inhibit back and shoulder hair? :(

topical antiandrogens. peppermint, lavender, etc.. probably easier to get laser.

#9 Harvey Newstrom

• Guest, Advisor
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:05 PM

I wish I knew how much "moderate" was. One tenth of one percent difference could be statistically "significant" if it is consistently achieved. But a human couldn't really see the difference. I know taking L-carnitine internally doesn't prevent hair loss, because I've been taking it for years....

#10 dannov

• 317 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 06:23 PM

I wish I knew how much "moderate" was. One tenth of one percent difference could be statistically "significant" if it is consistently achieved. But a human couldn't really see the difference. I know taking L-carnitine internally doesn't prevent hair loss, because I've been taking it for years....

There are a lot of things that cause hair loss. It's not very scientific to say that just because you were supplementing on one thing, and continued to lose hair, that it hasn't helped your hair in any way, shape, or form. Your hair loss may be attributed to DHT, which is not something that L-Carnitine could help to block.

#11 Harvey Newstrom

• Guest, Advisor
  • 102 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:33 PM

There are a lot of things that cause hair loss. It's not very scientific to say that just because you were supplementing on one thing, and continued to lose hair, that it hasn't helped your hair in any way, shape, or form. Your hair loss may be attributed to DHT, which is not something that L-Carnitine could help to block.

You are absolutely correct. I can't assume that L-carnitine won't work for someone else. My point was that you can't assume that it will either. But my bigger point was that it might "work" and still not produce results that someone would recognize or be satisfied with.

#12 dannov

• 317 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 10:54 PM

You are absolutely correct. I can't assume that L-carnitine won't work for someone else. My point was that you can't assume that it will either. But my bigger point was that it might "work" and still not produce results that someone would recognize or be satisfied with.

Oh ya, I agree. What I'm taking from this study is that it would be most beneficial topically. Unfortunately, it seems there hasn't been enough research to really guide us on whether we should bother or not, what sort of L-Carnitine would be optimal, nor the quantity to take. :(

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#13 wanderlust

• 92 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 04:45 PM

i have noticed that since i started my noot stack my pubic hair has grown quite abit

its normally about the same length all the time but its now about 3 times that and would make a very big mushtash 

if it keeps growing I will be dread locking it for the lolz

its hard to tell if my head hair has grown as i have very long hair anyway

i currently take

l-carnitine and galantamine at night

along with a daily stack of

nsi-189, prl-8-53, sodium valporite , alpha gpc ,piracetam ,pregnenolone,cats claw , lion mane,  coq10 ,and  vinpocetine

i cycle the nsi-189 two weeks on one week off

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users