• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Aubrey de Grey on Colbert Report!

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#31 Aegist

• Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 12:43 AM

BTW, I stumbled the youtube page as well as dugg it. However I doubt the video will last long - Viacom aren't letting any comedy central videos stay up there for long last time I heard...

Yeah, that's disappointingly. I'd never even heard of the Colbert Report, the Daily Show or Jon Stewart until I found them on Youtube.

Same. And since they were all completely removed from youtube, I hardly ever watch it anymore. I try to watch it on the comedy central website (like they would obviously want) but the setup is crap. You can't link to specific clips easily, you can't easily search for clips that you want, they only put up some bits and not others, the commercials are annoying (but thats how they make money, fine for them) and the whole system stinks.

Watch the colbert report and the daily show is now a painful task.

#32 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:44 AM

This would be a good clip to send around as an email to your friends that aren't necessarily into the life extension movement, but are fans of Colbert. (who isn't right?)

#33 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 02:57 PM

Watch the colbert report and the daily show is now a painful task.

Now that the WGA strike is over, it should get a little less painful.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:15 PM

Yep. Aubrey did incredibly well. So many people get broken on the COlbert Show - they don't understand how the program works (ie: Colbert's extreme satirical positions) and take it too seriously and he destroys them and makes them look like fools (seen it many times on the show.) As a few people have commented though, Aubrey actually made COlbert laugh - that is as good a result as you can get on the Colbert Report.

Awesome work.

BTW, I stumbled the youtube page as well as dugg it. However I doubt the video will last long - Viacom aren't letting any comedy central videos stay up there for long last time I heard...

Yeah, I agree, everything Aubrey said was pretty clever. Great interview.

Shoot, man. Some day I'm gonna break down and get cable like all the other kids.

You don't need it. All the good stuff ends up on the Internet anyways. Save the money for SENS.

#35 Unregistered

• 406 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 10:49 PM

That was a nice interview. Both Aubrey De Grey and Colbert caused me to get a smirk from time to time during the interview because of their witty remarks.

#36 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:16 PM

Most excellent. Colbert is wonderful; watching it makes me wonder whether Colbert might be an immortalist, I could imagine him getting a run down from De Gray after the show.

#37 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 12:58 AM

just made boingboing:
http://www.boingboin...grey-on-co.html

#38 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 02:39 AM

I like the comments at Boing Boing!

I had fun at my church dinner, was talking with some friends and mentioned this and my friend pulled out her iphone, looked up the clip on youtube and we watched it! too cool! :) yay for iphone, and youtube--and then we had a nice life extension discussion... :~

#39 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 04:58 AM

just made boingboing:
http://www.boingboin...grey-on-co.html

Sweet!

#40 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:02 AM

It looks like the YouTube clip was indeed taken down. Boo to Viacom for being so dumb.

#41 Aegist

• Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:41 AM

Yeah, I noticed that. Luckily the Boing Boing one at least works. (even though the comedy central direct video is CRAP compared to youtube videos)

Good work Viacom - keeping up the hate. The last thing you want people doing is liking you!

#42 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:36 AM

I added the Google videos version to the first post embedded. Hopefully it stays up longer than the YouTube one. (luckily they sometimes do)

Edited by Live Forever, 14 February 2008 - 06:36 AM.

#43 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:40 AM

Yeah we were joking about YouTube possibly having it pulled when watching the clip on iphone earlier--funny that it is now, so now if you have interested people and an iphone is around you can look up google video (not sure if it plays on an iphone haven't tested it, too bad it is off you-tube)

#44 Aegist

• Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:43 AM

I was silly enough to have stumbled the video on the youtube page originally. Since that is now dead, I directly Stumbled this thread this time. If the Google video is pulled, then maybe we can directly embed the comedy central clip like Boing Boing has.

#45 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:49 AM

I was silly enough to have stumbled the video on the youtube page originally. Since that is now dead, I directly Stumbled this thread this time. If the Google video is pulled, then maybe we can directly embed the comedy central clip like Boing Boing has.

The bad thing about comedy central clips embedded is that they expire automatically after a set amount of time. (one week?)

#46 Aegist

• Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:50 AM

The bad thing about comedy central clips embedded is that they expire automatically after a set amount of time. (one week?)

LOL, Typical.

Really disliking Viacom.

#47 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 07:29 PM

Aubrey said Colbert's people contacted him out of the blue, it was like a whirlwind and the rapidfire interview seemed to last 30 secs and he had no time to think. He sure does well under pressure! 'Ending Aging' did receive a respectable spike in sales on Amazon. :~

#48 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:49 PM

I thought that was awesome :~ Aubrey did very well in that interview. Just a shame it was so short!

#49 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:44 PM

Aubrey said Colbert's people contacted him out of the blue, it was like a whirlwind and the rapidfire interview seemed to last 30 secs and he had no time to think. He sure does well under pressure! 'Ending Aging' did receive a respectable spike in sales on Amazon. :~

I'm glad that he could make it on such short notice. He is a bona fide real celebrity now that he has been on Colbert.

BTW, I resubmitted it to digg with the link to the new video, which should stay up longer than the YouTube one: http://digg.com/gene..._Aubrey_de_Grey

I changed the wording too since the last one only got 10 diggs.

#50 chestnut

• 152 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:03 PM

Hi Shannon,
I just joined MF as the Director of Development and one thing we'll be working on is the website, keeping Aubrey's media exposure fresh on the site, etc.... We're also already in full swing planning SENS-West Conference this June 27-29 at UCLA. (More info forthcoming).

I know we'll have continued great collaboration w/ ImmInst so I look forward to it :)

-Susan
a/k/a Chestnut

PS: congrats on becoming a "Director"

Indeed!

I just checked out the Methuselah Foundation forum, and they didn't have discussion of the Colbert piece yet:

http://www.methusela...?referrerid=299

I'm sure someone there will be putting the story up soon of how they got the interview :~ I signed up there, I noticed that some ImmInst Mprize people aren't around here as much anymore, since they are there--I figure it will be good to be a member there too so we can collaborate in the future. Perhaps 08 will be the year extreme life extension gets attention in the press!

#51 Aegist

• Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:51 PM

BTW, I resubmitted it to digg with the link to the new video, which should stay up longer than the YouTube one: http://digg.com/gene..._Aubrey_de_Grey

Arg, you should have Dugg this thread. That way people can see the video, and get the discussion (and see ImmInst - context!), and we can do our best to keep the video live by finding it on different resources...

BTW, I did stumble the first page of this thread, so everyone with stumbleupon should stumble it too, and everyone without stumbleupon really should get it (it's worth it).

#52 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:57 PM

Arg, you should have Dugg this thread. That way people can see the video, and get the discussion (and see ImmInst - context!), and we can do our best to keep the video live by finding it on different resources...

BTW, I did stumble the first page of this thread, so everyone with stumbleupon should stumble it too, and everyone without stumbleupon really should get it (it's worth it).

I wanted it to make the front page if possible, though. If I had linked to the thread, not many people would have dugg it, and the auto screen capture that they use for videos wouldn't have worked. (plus the ability to play it from the digg site itself)

#53 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:20 AM

Wonderful news Susan, you will be an excellent spokesperson and will be able to bring in a lot of large donations--please let us know of any collaboration we can do--I'd like to see ImmInst harness the energy of its members. ImmInst has grown over the past few years and has the potential now to be more effective now.

I 're-dug' the Aubrey/Colbert interview. I'm checking out Stumbleupon, I'll see what promotion I can do with it.

Here is a set of great video interviews with Aubrey, that we may want to feature more predominately.

http://www.videojug....-with-science-2

#54 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:35 AM

Here is a set of great video interviews with Aubrey, that we may want to feature more predominately.

http://www.videojug....-with-science-2

That is an excellent set of "FAQ" questions that Aubrey answers there back to back. Thanks for the link, Shannon.

#55 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,055 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:14 PM

Just got around to watching it. Very funny.

#56 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 01:34 AM

oh, man cool--it should be on-line soon so we can put the link on! sweet--I was jumping up and down with excitement, and was this so quick that no advance word got out? awesome, its still on--I'm going to watch it :)

YAY!!

#57 sentrysnipe

• 491 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:57 AM

less decrepit. :D His beard is sexy :p

#58 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:42 PM

<embed FlashVars="videoId=156276" src='http://www.comedycen...fault/swf.jhtml' quality='high' bgcolor='#cccccc' width='332' height='316' name='comedy_central_player' align='middle' allowScriptAccess='always' allownetworking='external' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer'></embed>

http://www.comedycen...?videoId=156276

This is a great video for new members and anybody who hasnt seen it. Im not sure if this will embed, but it is still active. If somebody can edit it in to the topic of then please do.

#59 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 03:02 AM

Now if we could only get Aubrey on SNL, we could make a huge impact!

#60 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:02 AM

Now if we could only get Aubrey on SNL, we could make a huge impact!

He was mentioned on the "Weekend Update" part of SNL when his book first came out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users