Photo
- - - - -

Anything to shorten need for sleep? Make it more efficient

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 sgreory

• 8 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:00 PM

Trying to see if I can get by with less sleep. Anything to make my need for sleep less. As in, the body recharges faster because it is healthier.

Trying to cut back time spent sleeping without it having any adverse affects. Any herbs, supplements, ect that can make the need for sleep less? Or make me more healthy so that my sleep is more efficient. I've read that the healthier you are, the better your sleep is and maybe you will need less sleep. Any ideas?

Edited by sgreory, 14 February 2008 - 08:50 PM.

#2 unbreakable

• 313 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:12 PM

GHB or its precursors, but I wouldn't suggest taking them unless you have narcolepsy. If you're from the US, just forget about these substances.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 speda1

• Guest, F@H
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:23 PM

Rhodiola appears to improve sleep quality by increasing stage 3 and 4 sleep and decreasing stage 1 and 2 sleep.

See Pubmed: 12423559, 17292596

Edited by speda1, 14 February 2008 - 11:24 PM.

#4 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 12:29 AM

Rhodiola appears to improve sleep quality by increasing stage 3 and 4 sleep and decreasing stage 1 and 2 sleep.

See Pubmed: 12423559, 17292596

These studies were for Rhodiola sachalinensis where the common supplement is Rhodiola rosea. Are these the same thing? I would guess not, but I really don't know.

#5 speda1

• Guest, F@H
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 01:37 AM

These studies were for Rhodiola sachalinensis where the common supplement is Rhodiola rosea. Are these the same thing? I would guess not, but I really don't know.

Yeah, not the same plant. But they both contain rosavins.

Edited by speda1, 15 February 2008 - 01:39 AM.

#6 shuffleup

• 160 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 03:03 AM

Trying to see if I can get by with less sleep. Anything to make my need for sleep less. As in, the body recharges faster because it is healthier.

Trying to cut back time spent sleeping without it having any adverse affects. Any herbs, supplements, ect that can make the need for sleep less? Or make me more healthy so that my sleep is more efficient. I've read that the healthier you are, the better your sleep is and maybe you will need less sleep. Any ideas?

http://www.avantlabs...hp/t3815-0.html

#7 ikaros

• 334 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:03 AM

Any herbs, supplements, ect that can make the need for sleep less?

No.

#8 Rags847

• 362 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:45 PM

People have mentioned small Melatonin doses before bed to ensure a deep, rewarding sleep.
Melatonin is a hormone, though.
Much good happens during sleep - consolidation of memories and learning, etc.
Sleep is worth the time it takes.
Look to enhance it's quality.
But don't deprive yourself of it.

#9 technico

• 46 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:27 PM

I have naturally gotten by on 5-6 hours a day and I thought I was ok - until around age 35 I was starting to have serious sleep deficiency and was diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea (due to weight gain). It was cited by my cardiologist as a factor in the myocardial infarction I had about a year later. So be careful not to "force it" too much.

I started taking Melatonin about a year ago and it has definitely improved my sleep quality and as a bonus, better quality dreams and even started having lucid dreams again.

#10 HaloTeK

• 254 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:09 PM

I remember something on LEF's site talking about people using b12(methyl form) and less sleep.

#11 Harvey Newstrom

• Guest, Advisor
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:22 AM

I have looked around for ways to reduce sleep in the past. But nothing really seemed to work. Lately, I have been taking the opposite approach. Instead of trying to minimize sleep, I am trying to maximize it. I want to sleep a full 8 or 9 hours per day. Although this gives me less hours of consciousness, the quality of those hours is greatly improved. Consider the following differences:

- You wake up refreshed and ready to jump out of bed and face the world, rather than burying your head under the pillow and groping around for the snooze alarm.
- You feel like you have lots of energy instead of needing a caffeine boost to wake you up.
- Your memory works better and you can think clearer. Creativity is greatly enhanced.
- You are more relaxed and calm. Things that drive you crazy at work seem trivial or humorous for you to handle.
- Impositions that would seem like a burden to your sleep-deprived state, seem effortless now.
- Your immune system is boosted and you don't have as many sick days.
- You aren't sleep deprived, so an interrupted night's sleep doesn't hit you as hard.
- Your body feels better and performs better for exercise, sex, and physical labor.
- You don't feel like vegging out after work, but crave physical exercise instead of resenting it.
- Other people can clearly see the difference between the well-rested you and the sleep-deprived you.

The proven benefits of getting enough sleep far outweigh the gains in waking hours. 15 hours of very productive time beats 18 hours of spinning your wheels in a brain fog. I literally get more work done in a well-rested day than in two sleep-deprived days. I would gladly trade these hours for these benefits.

My theory now is that if I don't wake up naturally before my alarm clock goes off, I am not getting enough sleep. I schedule 9 hours for sleep each night, and usually wake up before the alarm, after about eight hours. If I ever need to catch up on a little sleep, I can sleep 9 hours and have the alarm wake me up. This serves as a warning that I am not getting enough sleep. I also don't use an alarm on the weekends, and still wake up after 8 or 9 hours. I sleep more soundly at night and feel more aware and alert during the day.

Now, I would never trade that last hour or two of sleep for an extra hour or two awake.

#12 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 03:13 AM

An hour of vigorous exercise a day reduced my need for sleep by an hour.

A twenty minute nap in the afternoon reduced my need for overnight sleep.

Some of the medicines for narcolepsy let you keep going without sleep quite a long time with no loss of alertness. Good for cramming for exams.

#13 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:01 AM

I have looked around for ways to reduce sleep in the past. But nothing really seemed to work. Lately, I have been taking the opposite approach. Instead of trying to minimize sleep, I am trying to maximize it. I want to sleep a full 8 or 9 hours per day. Although this gives me less hours of consciousness, the quality of those hours is greatly improved. Consider the following differences:

- You wake up refreshed and ready to jump out of bed and face the world, rather than burying your head under the pillow and groping around for the snooze alarm.
- You feel like you have lots of energy instead of needing a caffeine boost to wake you up.
- Your memory works better and you can think clearer. Creativity is greatly enhanced.
- You are more relaxed and calm. Things that drive you crazy at work seem trivial or humorous for you to handle.
- Impositions that would seem like a burden to your sleep-deprived state, seem effortless now.
- You aren't sleep deprived, so an interrupted night's sleep doesn't hit you as hard.
- Your body feels better and performs better for exercise, sex, and physical labor.
- You don't feel like vegging out after work, but crave physical exercise instead of resenting it.
- Other people can clearly see the difference between the well-rested you and the sleep-deprived you.

The proven benefits of getting enough sleep far outweigh the gains in waking hours. 15 hours of very productive time beats 18 hours of spinning your wheels in a brain fog. I literally get more work done in a well-rested day than in two sleep-deprived days. I would gladly trade these hours for these benefits.

My theory now is that if I don't wake up naturally before my alarm clock goes off, I am not getting enough sleep. I schedule 9 hours for sleep each night, and usually wake up before the alarm, after about eight hours. If I ever need to catch up on a little sleep, I can sleep 9 hours and have the alarm wake me up. This serves as a warning that I am not getting enough sleep. I also don't use an alarm on the weekends, and still wake up after 8 or 9 hours. I sleep more soundly at night and feel more aware and alert during the day.

Now, I would never trade that last hour or two of sleep for an extra hour or two awake.

Good stuff, I like it :~ Completely agree, sleep is critical

http://www.imminst.o...ABA-t16103.html

Edited by edward, 19 February 2008 - 04:03 AM.

#14 shermhead

• 13 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 03:34 AM

Eat some fried chicken or any other fattening food before hitting the rack.

#15 speedlet

• 20 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:25 AM

A guy I read about tried to do this and was able to cut his sleep down to about 4 hours/night.

He did it by cutting out all stimulants -- coffee, sugar, refined starches -- as well as alcohol, tobacco, etc. He also got into excellent physical condition.

It's all about efficiency. Any chemical you take that helps you go to sleep or wake up is ultimately going to be self-defeating.

#16 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 07:22 AM

A guy I read about tried to do this and was able to cut his sleep down to about 4 hours/night.

He did it by cutting out all stimulants -- coffee, sugar, refined starches -- as well as alcohol, tobacco, etc. He also got into excellent physical condition.

It's all about efficiency. Any chemical you take that helps you go to sleep or wake up is ultimately going to be self-defeating.

Well, I avoid caffeine, alcohol, tobacco, and try to reduce my intake of sugar as much as possible. I exercise daily (biking) although usually only 30 minutes a day...although hilly. I can get no where near 4 or even 6 hours a night. I can do maybe 7, but the performance would be comparable to the experience of running a sports car on E85 fuel, works, not not optimal. One thing I really hate is that I hit my peak energy right before bed and my low energy in the morning. It's not this way on the weekends because I can sleep as long as I like. But I seem to get my deepest sleep right before I wake up. I guess I am a sleep procrastinator.

#17 speda1

• Guest, F@H
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:32 PM

Perhaps using binaural therapy might reduce the need for sleep somewhat. Theta and delta waves are generated during sleep.

#18 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:46 PM

Perhaps using binaural therapy might reduce the need for sleep somewhat. Theta and delta waves are generated during sleep.

Some who meditate regularly have reported decreased need for sleep. I do use binaural recordings nightly, to help me fall asleep, and I meditate whenever possible, but usually for short periods. I tend to get about 5 hours of sleep/night, but I'd rather get 7 or 8, if my schedule allowed.

#19 Rags847

• 362 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 06:41 AM

I put one of Dr. Jeffrey Thompson's audio cds (based on acoustic brainwave entrainment theory) on repeat and sleep all night to it. I feel it enhances the quality and depth of my sleep and it also masks over any street noise during the night and early morning hours. I notice not being as refreshed on a night when I fall asleep without putting the ambient/entrainment cd on. So I feel it is a big help.
I'm also thinking of getting a sleeping mask to totally blacken out any incoming light and thereby, hopefully, deepen the sleeping state.

#20 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 01:59 PM

I put one of Dr. Jeffrey Thompson's audio cds (based on acoustic brainwave entrainment theory) on repeat and sleep all night to it. I feel it enhances the quality and depth of my sleep and it also masks over any street noise during the night and early morning hours. I notice not being as refreshed on a night when I fall asleep without putting the ambient/entrainment cd on. So I feel it is a big help.
I'm also thinking of getting a sleeping mask to totally blacken out any incoming light and thereby, hopefully, deepen the sleeping state.

I've also used Dr. Thompson's soundtracks, although lately I've been listening to Master Charles' soundtrack for sleep. I usually listen only at the initiation of sleep and play through once, with headphones. Are you using headphones or listening to it as ambient sound?

#21 Rags847

• 362 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:41 AM

I've also used Dr. Thompson's soundtracks, although lately I've been listening to Master Charles' soundtrack for sleep. I usually listen only at the initiation of sleep and play through once, with headphones. Are you using headphones or listening to it as ambient sound?

Yea, I have read that listening with headphones on and in stereo enhances the effect of properly recorded brainwave entrainment audio. But overnight, as I sleep, I just put it on the stereo and let it bathe the room on repeat as I sleep deeply in a soundwave cocoon.
I'll have to checkout Master Charles.
His OM cd looks interesting.
http://www.amazon.co...;pf_rd_i=507846

Edited by Rags847, 03 March 2008 - 02:45 AM.

#22 Rags847

• 362 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:20 AM

Also, learned on the Immortalist Sunday Chat this week that snoring can interfere with the quality of one's sleep. So, I ordered these Breathe Right Strips (cuts down or eliminates snoring) as yet another way to enhance and deepen the all-important sleep.
http://www.amazon.co...sim_hpc_title_5

Edited by Rags847, 03 March 2008 - 07:20 AM.

#23 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:53 PM

Yea, I have read that listening with headphones on and in stereo enhances the effect of properly recorded brainwave entrainment audio. But overnight, as I sleep, I just put it on the stereo and let it bathe the room on repeat as I sleep deeply in a soundwave cocoon.
I'll have to checkout Master Charles.
His OM cd looks interesting.
http://www.amazon.co...;pf_rd_i=507846

I always found Master Charles' recordings immediately soothing and agreeable, especially those based upon simple chant, natural sounds, and chimes. You can get a download version of OM for $7.95 here.

• Lurker

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:03 PM

Is there anything I can get for free?

#25 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:18 PM

Is there anything I can get for free?

Close eyes, breath in (diphragmatically, of course!)...hold for a moment....chant "OM" as you breath out.... Repeat as necessary. ;)

#26 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:30 PM

This topic seems quite interesting. Giraffes for some reason sleep less than 1 hour a day and horses sleep 3.
It is quite unfair because someone needing less sleep get's much more life and can work and enjoy hobbies for a larger part of their life.

I get along just fine on 5-6 hours a day but I know many people that needs nearly twice as much.

If your physical condition is good you shouldn't need more than 8 hours of sleep.

Most obese people suffering from sleep apnea actually may actually "sleep" only 1 hour per night just because of the unconscious awakening due to oxygen imbalances.

#27 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 06:19 PM

Agree- there seems to be a wide variation in individual to individual sleep requirements. I sleep about 5 hours/night, although I likely would sleep 7 or so, perhaps, with a different lifestyle. I have a colleague who sleeps as little as 2 hours a night on a regular basis. He often holds 3 jobs at a time, and exercises in the middle of the night. Another colleague claims she needs at least 8 hours a night of sleep or feels exhausted....

#28 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:18 PM

Tintinet, do you take melatonin nightly, or just occasionally? Dose?

#29 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:45 AM

Agree- there seems to be a wide variation in individual to individual sleep requirements. I sleep about 5 hours/night, although I likely would sleep 7 or so, perhaps, with a different lifestyle. I have a colleague who sleeps as little as 2 hours a night on a regular basis. He often holds 3 jobs at a time, and exercises in the middle of the night. Another colleague claims she needs at least 8 hours a night of sleep or feels exhausted....

I don't understand how anyone could go off of 2 hours of sleep a night. I know that I am on the opposite side of the spectrum, but that's not much sleep. Hopefully the guy is ok with that as it would be foolish to work 3 jobs and sacrifice one's health.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 brotherx

• 313 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:34 PM

Hi Harvey,

I really like your answer - and it is absolutely the same for me!
After a full nights sleep 8 - 8.5 hours sleep - I am a lot more productive than after 6.5 hours sleep!
And I think that reducing those 8 hours of needed sleep would harm the body and the soul - at least after the long run.

Cheers

Alex

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users