Photo
- - - - -

Gunman stopped taking his meds

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cmorera

• 168 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 01:52 AM

(MODS: Although this isn't specifically 'nootropic' related, it may be non directly 'supplement' related, and I didn't notice a dedicated 'pharmaceutical' forum, so it may be appropriate to leave it here or move to better location)

http://news.yahoo.co...us/niu_shooting

Im my continuing journey to ask the question "do prescription meds for depression, ADHD, ______ (fill in the blank for psychiatric condition here)" 1) help at all? 2) not help at all? 3) not help and possibly cause worse outcomes

Now, it could be very easily said that the medications were 'working fine,' and point to this gunmans cessation of taking his meds leading to his condition, however, in the past of my memory, ALL SCHOOL shootings have been done be gunmen either on meds, or who had recently been on meds.

In fact, I would be relieved to see no bulliten whatsoever that this gunman was on meds at all, no mention of it at all, since that would give me some relief in the current medical system for 'psychiatric' treatment. Add them up, Omaha shooting, Columbine, Virginia Tech now this one ... not to mention Andria YAtes methodically drowning her 4 children in the bathtub, 43 yr old man executing his entire family in his home ... all these haneous crimes committed in my option, by the improper treatment of prescribing pharmaceuticals for mental conditions.

The lacking of any school shooting and other 'outrageous' crimes of this new breed type of killings we are seeing done by people who are NOT or have not recently been on any medication treatment can really disprove the argument that its the lack of medication that is causing these people to act, or that these people were crazy anyways and would have committed the crime anyways.

In summary, Tom Cruise was right?

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:09 AM

(MODS: Although this isn't specifically 'nootropic' related, it may be non directly 'supplement' related, and I didn't notice a dedicated 'pharmaceutical' forum, so it may be appropriate to leave it here or move to better location)

http://news.yahoo.co...us/niu_shooting

Im my continuing journey to ask the question "do prescription meds for depression, ADHD, ______ (fill in the blank for psychiatric condition here)" 1) help at all? 2) not help at all? 3) not help and possibly cause worse outcomes

Now, it could be very easily said that the medications were 'working fine,' and point to this gunmans cessation of taking his meds leading to his condition, however, in the past of my memory, ALL SCHOOL shootings have been done be gunmen either on meds, or who had recently been on meds.

In fact, I would be relieved to see no bulliten whatsoever that this gunman was on meds at all, no mention of it at all, since that would give me some relief in the current medical system for 'psychiatric' treatment. Add them up, Omaha shooting, Columbine, Virginia Tech now this one ... not to mention Andria YAtes methodically drowning her 4 children in the bathtub, 43 yr old man executing his entire family in his home ... all these haneous crimes committed in my option, by the improper treatment of prescribing pharmaceuticals for mental conditions.

The lacking of any school shooting and other 'outrageous' crimes of this new breed type of killings we are seeing done by people who are NOT or have not recently been on any medication treatment can really disprove the argument that its the lack of medication that is causing these people to act, or that these people were crazy anyways and would have committed the crime anyways.

You seem to be starting from a position of bias because you left out the choice: 0) help a lot?

The people that you are discussing here are, by and large, certifiably nuts. These days, crazy people are usually treated with drugs, because that is usually more effective, more humane, and cheaper than the previous option of locking them up in an asylum. To try to make a causal link between drugs they may or may not have been taking and their acts of violence is faulty logic.

I'm not familiar with the Tom Cruise reference but I wouldn't take advice of any kind from that fruitcake.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 mystery

• 117 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 07:47 AM

I believe you have a valid concern, but you've just made some wild assumptions with no substantial evidence. Grantide, I'd agree that certain pharmaceuticals are overperscribed but this doesn't prove anything about shootings and killings.

Edited by mystery, 16 February 2008 - 07:49 AM.

#4 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 07:52 AM

Tom Cruise is wrong about just about everything. Scientologists are such wackos.

#5 marcopolo

• 128 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 08:20 AM

Tom Cruise is wrong about just about everything. Scientologists are such wackos.

After watching that video(the biggest waste of 10 minutes of my life BTW), it is apparent that Tom Cruise has also stopped taking his meds.

#6 Rags847

• 362 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:42 PM

After watching that video(the biggest waste of 10 minutes of my life BTW), it is apparent that Tom Cruise has also stopped taking his meds.

Man, I don't know know wha' that boy is sayin', but I sure do likes the ways he sez it!

Wow! Little Tommy Boy sure does feel guilty about all the Hollywood $$$ he has made.
It's too bad he doesn't put his desire to help people into more constructive pathways.
He could be the 21st Century's biggest philanthropist.
He could go around and help Bono save the world.
He could drop a few million into Life Extension (he made Vanilla Sky).
Instead, he gets all worked up over this Scientology drivel.
Go read something of high intellectual quality, Tom.
You think you understand people's true inner psychology and psyche?
Ever crack open one book on psychoanalysis?
Aim higher, Tom.
Conquering the world with Scientology is truly [dunt-dunt-du-nunt] ... Mission Impossible!

Edited by Rags847, 16 February 2008 - 03:02 PM.

#7 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:59 PM

Tom, the fruitcake.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 February 2008 - 11:23 PM

ALL SCHOOL shootings have been done be gunmen either on meds, or who had recently been on meds.

It may be the lead poisoning that's the culprit here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users