- - - - -

Fish Oil Supplements

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:40 AM

I read through a lot of the previous topics on fish oils just now and it seems a lot of people recommend taking a "high quality" supplement. I currently take NOW Ultra Omega-3. Currently I take these twice a day. Does anyone have any recommendations for a better oil (if I need a better one)? What do you guys take?

#2 inawe

• 653 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:49 PM

There is a lot of information on this. Just have to resort to the search engine.
You can find instructions on the whole process. Where to go fishing, fishing lures, what to use for bait. Best type of oily fish. How to fool them into getting caught, etc.
Then, after you got the fish, search for how to extract the oil without getting the fish too upset (that would get cortisol into the oil).

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 February 2008 - 01:11 AM

There is a lot of information on this. Just have to resort to the search engine.
You can find instructions on the whole process. Where to go fishing, fishing lures, what to use for bait. Best type of oily fish. How to fool them into getting caught, etc.
Then, after you got the fish, search for how to extract the oil without getting the fish too upset (that would get cortisol into the oil).

I just did a search and apparently my stab-with-a-pointy-stick method isn't very effective.

P.S. I meant to say in my first post that I take two pills twice a day. That's 4g of oil, 1.5g of EPA and .75g of DHA. Should I go with something else?

Edited by OneScrewLoose, 23 February 2008 - 01:44 AM.

#4 dachshund

• 98 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 01:22 AM

I have been ordering 16 ounce bottles of Nature's Answer brand distilled fish oil from iHerb.com, great price at $ 9.99 ea, and I can attest to excellent taste. I have purchased the 16 oz. bottles of fish oil from NSI and was quite disappointed in the taste. The NOW brand liquid fish oil is also excellent.

#5 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:25 AM

I was wondering if anyone has any comments on the NOW pills I currently take. And I got the numbers wrong. For 4 pills a day (2 2x/day) it's a total of 4g of oil, which contains 2g EPA and 1g DHA. Is there a consensus on the best brand of "high quality" fish oil.

#6 Christopher5

• 4 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:44 PM

Fish oil is recommended for a healthy diet because it contains the omega-3 fatty acids eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and
docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), precursors to eicosanoids that reduce inflammation throughout the body.Medical usages of
fish oil can be found in details at www.aSiteIunsuccessfullyTriedToSpamYouWith.com

Edited by FunkOdyssey, 03 March 2008 - 03:28 PM.

#7 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:16 PM

Fish oil is recommended for a healthy diet because it contains the omega-3 fatty acids eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and
docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), precursors to eicosanoids that reduce inflammation throughout the body.Medical usages of
fish oil can be found in details at www.aSiteIunsuccessfullyTriedToSpamYouWith.com

For real posts like this, it makes me wonder. They keep doing it, so it has to work for some people...

#8 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:40 AM

For real posts like this, it makes me wonder. They keep doing it, so it has to work for some people...

Yeah, it does work on some people. That's the problem. Why do you think junk mail / junk e-mail / telemarketing works? There are enough suckers to support it.

Anyway, I too am looking for the best possible fish oil supplement.

#9 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:29 PM

I read a while ago that just buying from someplace like Costco or Sams, ensures you get fresh fish oil because they cost less, and have a high turn over.

I also find I can not sometimes take all my capsules before they start to smell fishy, and oxidize--so for capsules, it seems to be true--you want a high turn over, they do 'go bad' quickly. (I've also purchased capsules when traveling, from small vitamin shoppes and found they were already fishy)

For a high quality non capsule, oil, I've always liked Carlson's lemon flavored, my kids even love it, the problem with it is it does cost a lot more--than capsules from a wholesaler.

#10 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:46 PM

EPA Brite from AOR looks good, but very expensive: http://www.cureself....-EPA-Bright.pdf. They claim less than 0.1 mg DHA per capsule and over 300 mg EPA. So if you want a high DHA to EPA ratio, that's it. The Costco stuff that I currently use has 200 / 300 DHA / EPA.

#11 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 02:55 AM

While I'd love to have the best of everything, I'm not in the "money is no object" category, so I try to get good values. I'm another user of Costco fish oil. The only problem I've ever had out of literally thousands of caps is that a cap leaked in the bottle once. Other than that, it's cheap and fresh. I could spend ten times as much, but I'd rather put that money to other supplements or fun.

#12 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:20 AM

EPA Brite from AOR looks good, but very expensive: http://www.cureself....-EPA-Bright.pdf. They claim less than 0.1 mg DHA per capsule and over 300 mg EPA. So if you want a high DHA to EPA ratio, that's it. The Costco stuff that I currently use has 200 / 300 DHA / EPA.

Actually, after reading the PDF a second time, I don't see why anyone would pay a premium for minimal DHA content -- I am not convinced that the DHA is worth removing. Their claim is that the brain produces enough DHA on its own and that it is not needed as a supplement, even though it has beneficial effects to the cardiovascular system.

#13 Spiral Architect

• 79 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:48 AM

I've been using Optimum Nutrition's Fish Oil for a long while. It's very cheap and seems effective... ON is supposedly a good brand. 3.25$ for 100 1g 120/180 softgels.
http://www.bulknutri...?products_id=44
This allows me to take at least 2 grams a day (240/360 DHA/EPA), though I try to take one with every meal, so it's still very affordable even if I take 5-6 a day. Omega-3 and DHA/EPA seem like very important supplements and I've been taking them for 3+ years now, so I hope this specific brand is fulfilling my needs.

I'm quite limited to a selection from BN (which is a good store, but doesn't carry everything)
http://www.bulknutri...r...amp;x=0&y=0

Edited by Spiral Architect, 06 March 2008 - 10:51 AM.

#14 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:05 AM

When is the best time to take fish oil?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#15 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:35 AM

When is the best time to take fish oil?

I've been told by my doctor (and have read) that it's best to break it up into 3 daily doses. So I suppose morning, afternoon, evening might be best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users