'Humans could live for hundreds of years'

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 celindra

• 43 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 10:49 PM

Click the link for the rest of the article --

'Humans could live for hundreds of years'

Scientists say people could live active lives for hundreds of years if humans follow the same biological rules as laboratory worms.

By carefully tweaking genes and hormones, scientists extended the lifespan of the tiny roundworm Caenorhabditis elegans six times. In human terms, the worms stayed healthy and active for 500 years.

The researchers pointed out that the chief mechanism they tampered with - a signalling pathway involving insulin - was common in many species, including mammals.

#2 LifeMirage

• Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 02:35 AM

Further genetic interference of mutation-carrying worms, plus the removal of their reproductive systems, produced lifespans six times longer than normal.

I happen to like my reproductive system.

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#3 Aegist

• Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 03:59 PM

You like your reproductive system? or do you like having sex...?
(there is a difference these days...)

#4 LifeMirage

• Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 21 November 2003 - 01:35 AM

Hmm, you had to go there.

For clarification purposes having sex with women, but basically I want all my systems working optimally.

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#5 tobithus

• 14 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 12:21 PM

I don't think it'll have to be as drastic as having our reproductive systems removed!

Probably part of the treatment will involve mimicking the effect of removing the reproductive system!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users