• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

If you could augment your intelligence, how far would you go?

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

Poll: If you could augment your intelligence, how far would you go? (239 member(s) have cast votes)

How much would you augment your intelligence?

1. Actually, I want to reduce my intelligence. Knowledge is a burden (1 votes [0.42%])

Percentage of vote: 0.42%

2. No thanks, I'm smart enough as it is (5 votes [2.09%])

Percentage of vote: 2.09%

3. I'd make myself as smart as Einstein (9 votes [3.77%])

Percentage of vote: 3.77%

4. I'd give myself super human intelligence but I'd keep some limitations so I could still be challenged (29 votes [12.13%])

Percentage of vote: 12.13%

5. I'd become smart enough to understand every concept that can be understood (176 votes [73.64%])

Percentage of vote: 73.64%

6. other (explain) (19 votes [7.95%])

Percentage of vote: 7.95%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#91 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:00 AM

Intresting answer DemiDao. What is Your race?
  • dislike x 1

#92 DemiDao

• 3 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:36 AM

<p>

Intresting answer DemiDao. What is Your race?

Sadly still a human.

Edited by DemiDao, 06 November 2011 - 07:48 AM.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#93 Shoe

• Guest, F@H
  • 135 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:18 PM

I'd go balls to the wall, baby. Most likely it will be possible to make oneself dumber again if it sucks being too intelligent, so I don't see much risk in maximizing my intelligence.

Edited by Shoe, 28 January 2012 - 01:21 PM.

#94 Nicolas Dante Foster

• 6 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:41 AM

Simple answer i would wish to become as smart as possible and then some.

#95 Nimbus

• 23 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:59 PM

Smart enough to get myself off this planet and away from the threat that it is. Spend long enough in the safety of that distance to figure out a way to safely reconnect with human society on Earth and elsewhere where others like me would have gone.

It doesn't matter how smart you are if you die to those with the bigger guns before you can reap the fruits of those extra smarts.

#96 DAMABO

• 181 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:08 PM

I think it's somewhat silly to say that we want unlimited intelligence. We cannot, by definition, understand how being that intelligent would feel. Without challenges, life would be terribly boring. It would be impossible to keep our current personnality because our personnality is in part defined or influenced by our knowledge and our intelligence.

Scott Adams develop an interesting theory in his book "God's debris". Since God was able predict the future, he was very bored. So, he decided to blow itself up to see what will happen next. That was the Big Bang. It's not a concept I believe in but it's quite interesting.

I will let Marvin have the final word:
"Here I am, brain the size of a planet, and they get me to take you down to the bridge. Call that job satisfaction? 'Cos I don't."

Then the intelligent being (here called god) still has more options doesn't he?

#97 DAMABO

• 181 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

Intelligence could also be based in collective consciousness and in the collective memories of the human race as a whole. So you having perfect neurones may not be enough to attain perfect intelligence.

I've always had troubles believing the notion of some "over level" of human consciousnes, I try to be open, but really - what's the rationale here ? How can this be tested empirically ? Jung had some ideas that may be appealing but he wasn't the most intelectually disciplined scholar, sort of half - mystic actually.

One example here is the internet. You put knowledge into it and you draw knowledge from it. It is a collective thing. Is it intelligent? Maybe it is. It can predict my actions, knows my preferences, can learn from my past experiences and usage, etc. It is a small and crude example, but I am sure it will become much more powerful in the near future. I can see the time when it would be difficult to know where human (personal) intelligence stops and Artificiial Intelligence starts.

The internet would still follow the laws of computational power... I don't see why you invoke something else than neurones, or its silicon equivalent. Sure you need some intellectual peers, but those will always be around, it's not like one person gets chosen to do an 'extreme intelligence experiment', while all the others wait patiently in their stupidity.

#98 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:28 AM

I was always the smartest person in any school that I went to. People idolize intelligence and think that it means they will have no problems and unlimited power. That wasn't my experience. Colleges are generally aimed at people who are average to somewhat smarter than average. They aren't really aimed at the person who sees through everything and deconstructs it. Social structures are not made for the smartest people. You may have useful information but that doesn't mean it will be heard. Your insights may be inconvenient to the powers that be. If you look at the political structure or the financial, mortgage, banking or commodities industries many things are happening that should not be. People who see what should be done are being ignored, at best. If you were, for instance, a financial reporter at CNN who was reporting incisively on Bank of America you might be inconvenient to the advertising department and find your contract was not renewed. On the other hand, if you were perky, attractive and smart enough not to embarrass the network, but not smart enough to ask incisive questions, you could get your own show.

#99 mikerossiter

• 7 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:18 AM

I would augment myself slightly, and since I'm smarter, then see how I feel about further augmentation.
As I become more and more intelligent, I'd have a clearer and clearer view of whether going further was a good idea or not....
  • like x 1

#100 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:47 AM

I was always the smartest person in any school that I went to.

There's this saying that if you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room. Going to a world-class university usually helps with this problem.
  • like x 1

#101 Connor MacLeod

• 619 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:46 PM

They aren't really aimed at the person who sees through everything and deconstructs it.

Deconstructing things is a child's game; it is simple enough. To build something truly useful or beautiful, however, requires some skill or genius.

Social structures are not made for the smartest people.

Nor for the stupid rich. But regardless for whom they were made, I'm pretty sure social structures dramatically reduce the chances of getting your (very abundant) grey matter bashed in by a hulking semi-moron.

#102 treonsverdery

• 1,312 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:09 PM

well as kind of a joke you could use quantum radar to augment intelligence. (how far would you go) Wikipedia says a large aerospace company has a Quantum radar patent. basically they send out groups of quantum linked photons at a shape to make a better detector, something like the way a multiantenna radio telescope uses a number of receivers to better image distant objects.

If you quantum link the distributed quantum radar to a human brain you could do remote sensing at a distance. One approach to quantum linking photons at neurons are optically activated neurotransmitters or peptides. fascinatingly, many cytes have crystalline structures away from liquid, these could contain biological quantum linkable photosensors yet modify the surface charge of their crystal to effect a peptide.

here is an article on how mitochondria have crystalline areas http://jcb.rupress.o.../3/511.full.pdf modify the mitochondrial genome to modify the crystals.

with remote sensing at a distance, as well as a regular crystal modification protocol, two entities could read each others mind data. If they were really nifty they could use radiographic photons that pass through minerals. If you liked you could engineer the soil bacteria to be a huge neutral data or processor resource then just quantum radar bus at will. Its kind of a now tech approach to computronium.

among the way to increase intelligence that people here have heard of might be the genetics of the glia to neuron ratio. Wikipedia says that the 20th century human brain is10 pct neurons, 90 pct glia. just going to 40 pct neurons might more than triple intelligence. The mouse popularly referred to as "doogy mouse" was genetically modified to produce more nerve growth factor, it had approximately double ntelligence. combining those two technologies at one human could create people seven times more intelligent with the same form factor as well as minimal change.

Edited by treonsverdery, 18 May 2012 - 10:34 PM.

#103 Dr. Bond

• 5 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

Intelligence has no tangable connection with 'being smart' or 'abnormally aware. However, the concept of that question is quite paradoxical because our current 'intellect' does not have the capacity to answer it with any reasonable clarity. The human brain has 11 billion neurons; just neurologically and logistically we will never be able to understand our own brains. The Universe has no 'size' as we conceive it. Not in a million years could we ever dream to even understand a small percentage of what it all means. And here's the kicker: we, as modern humans have only been here for about 100 thousand years. That is less time than any other creature who ever concieved on earth was born, developed to adult hood and died. And it is believed by most scientists in the field that we have been such bad caretakers we will never see another 100 thousand years. In fact, the heavy money is on a max of 100 more years being a long shot.
Nature concieved an experiement and sadly it has failed miserably.

PS: on another topic, I.Q is mentioned also - Intellegence and actually knowing anything of value is very rare. Just think of the concept, there is actually a club, 'Mensa' they are very exclusive and you cannot be a menber if your I.Q. is not in the genius level. They meet alot and have dinners and talk about how smart they are, have badges and plaques hanging all over their offices and walls at home stating how 'smart' they are. Such self serving behavior is indicative of many things but being smart or aware or insightful is not one of them. On the other hand, Einstein, now considered to have been the greatest mind ever to have graced our world, had an I.Q. in the160s. If it were me; I'd kinda put that 'Mensa' stuff in the garbage can where it belongs.

#104 Dr. Bond

• 5 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:51 PM

Intelligence has no tangable connection with 'being smart' or 'abnormally aware. However, the concept of that question is quite paradoxical because our current 'intellect' does not have the capacity to answer it with any reasonable clarity. The human brain has 11 billion neurons; just neurologically and logistically we will never be able to understand our own brains. The Universe has no 'size' as we conceive it. Not in a million years could we ever dream to even understand a small percentage of what it all means. And here's the kicker: we, as modern humans have only been here for about 100 thousand years. That is less time than any other creature who ever concieved on earth was born, developed to adult hood and died. And it is believed by most scientists in the field that we have been such bad caretakers we will never see another 100 thousand years. In fact, the heavy money is on a max of 100 more years being a long shot. The most successful [intellent] beasts who ever lived were the dinosours who ruled exclusively for 160 million years. With us, nature concieved an experiement and sadly it has failed miserably.

PS: on another topic, I.Q is mentioned also - Intelligence and actually knowing anything of value is very rare. Just think of the concept, there is actually a club, 'Mensa' they are very exclusive and you cannot be a menber if your I.Q. is not in the genius level. They meet alot and have dinners and talk about how smart they are, have badges and plaques hanging all over their offices and walls at home stating how 'smart' they are. Such self serving behavior is indicative of many things but being smart or aware or insightful is not one of them. On the other hand, Einstein, now considered to have been the greatest mind ever to have graced our world, had an I.Q. in the160s. If it were me; I'd kinda put that 'Mensa' stuff in the garbage can where it belongs.

#105 YOLF

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

I'm in all the way :) At a certain point, understanding things becomes a form of hedonist entertainment. I see no reason to have a challenge.

#106 Prismira Vex

• 41 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:43 PM

As smart as possible. I wish to become the singularity. Exponential free fall into an eternal, kaleidoscopic vortex of existential knowing. Now and forever

#107 MangekyōPeter

• 171 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:07 PM

As smart as possible. I wish to become the singularity. Exponential free fall into an eternal, kaleidoscopic vortex of existential knowing. Now and forever

yep, would kinda want to be at the same level as well, more or less.

/lol

#108 etizsupplyusa.com

• 33 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:18 AM

I would love a chance to fully understand the universe, from the lowest level up to the highest level- imagine having that kind of knowledge. The problem is, if you have that knowledge, what do you do with it? I think I would want a glimpse into that knowledge, then have my intelligent modified to a level where I still have the ability to learn knew information, as I love learning. I wouldn't mind the ability to switch between states, that could really help solve humanities many problems.

Regardless I would love to modfiy my intelligence and would have no problem modifying my genome as well, or merging with non-biological computational matter, I love exploring different states of consciousness and would like to sample the ones we do not have the tech for yet.

Great poll!

Bill at etizusasupply.com

#109 Ekaterinya Vladinakova

• 28 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:51 PM

As much intelligence as possible. There are probably limits caused by the laws of physics, but the limits are not all that limiting.

#110 Ames

• 361 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:01 PM

If able to comprehend the choice, would a bug choose to have the intelligence of a human or keep the intelligence of a bug?

Any truly rational person would choose risk-free augmentation.

Although, I'm dubious as to whether the current evolved state of the "wetware" could keep up. How would the increased intelligence be executed in the brain, even if much of the work is being performed by machine? There will be an interface and work will be done by the brain to process the increase in per second information. How will that translate into oxidative stress? I can make the jump to believing in the possibility of future intelligence augmentation, but I have trouble resolving how increased physical demands on the brain's architecture will be handled. Perhaps something akin to a CPU fan or water cooling system? :-) What is the qualitative and quantitative difference between our brain matter and the brain matter of a hamster, cat, and monkey (increasing up-the-line in measurable intelligence)? Perhaps that will hint at an answer. Brain size/weight is the first obvious observation.

Hypothetically, even if the machine does the entirety of the processing and is just feeding your brain information (which is not true intelligence augmentation and is more akin to a simple computer uplink) your brain still has to be able to comprehend the information and at the rate of speed that it is delivered. I don't see a work-around to the wetware processing issue that will almost certainly increase stress past the capacity of the architecture.

Edited by golgi1, 16 April 2014 - 05:04 PM.

#111 Jeoshua

• 662 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:13 PM

If possible, I would like to become part of a hypermind. Linked minds across a wireless network. Basically imagine a social media network where instead of posts, thoughts themselves could be shared, and particularly hard computations could be outsourced to as many minds as possible, the result being stored in the hypermind for future reference. Google for your brain. Facebook for neurons.

It would be a glorious future.

We are the hypermind. Resistance is probably futile.

#112 ADVANCESSSS

• 353 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:18 PM

Once gods, you can go from knowing all and or super brain to not knowing nothing really and or normal brain and would be fun for "love", also knowing all or super brain doesn't take any fun or anything out of anything.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#113 Lobotomy

• 110 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:44 AM

Hyperminds are stupid, unless you want to throw personal liberty, privacy and all sense of adventure by the wayside.

In a perfectly ideal setting I'd go for the "I'd give myself super human intelligence but I'd keep some limitations so I could still be challenged " option, but after a few hundred years have passed so technology catches up with human intelligence. I want FTL, I want supernootropics, I want genomic enhancement, I want cyborg augmentation, but I also want to be wrong every now and again. Life is no fun when you're right all of the time.

Edited by Lobotomy, 06 July 2014 - 11:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users