Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

my 2008 $2.50/day HIV regimen

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 tlm884

• 597 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:54 AM

There are two types of immunity in the body. Humoral immunity and cellular mediated immunity. After HIV infection the body primarily uses cellular mediated immunity. When you seroconvert and start showing antibodies to HIV humoral immunity takes over and starts fighting the infection. However, it has been shown that cellular mediated immunity is more effective in containing the infection. Some interleukins supress humoral immunity and promote cellular mediated immunity.

I cannot find the specifics at the moment but I believe it is IL-2.

If you were to find something that specfically increases IL-2 production I feel you would be better off. However this is just a stipulation

#62 PhoenixBrad

• 5 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 10:48 PM

also why not take one of the better colloidal silver stuff? probably doesn't work but i don't see a downside.

Sorry, but I see a downside to that one. See "toxicity", under http://en.wikipedia....olloidal_silver . So I'll skip it.

you have aids and you dismiss it because a handful of "nuts" who ran a current through a silver dollar in water turned blue?
pretty sure the new commercial stuff doesn't have any side effects, unlike if you make it at home.

anyway, just a thought. saw sometihng on naturalnews.com or something.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#63 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:17 AM

I am a 31 year old male and was diagnosed HIV+ in november 2006 and infected shortly before then. My doctor is keeping me off HIV medications right now due to slow/no evidence of disease progression. I want to keep my progression slow, so I started supplements in 2007. Here is my current supplement regimen for this year. Almost all of them are from NOW foods. The daily cost is about $2.50.

- NOW adam superior multi (2 tabs)
- NOW l-glutamine 500mg (2 caps)
- NOW omega-3 (2 softgels)
- NOW acetyl l-carnitine 500mg (1 cap)
- NOW super enzymes (2 caps)
- NOW melatonin 3mg (1 cap)
- NOW C 500 (2 tabs)
- NOW EGCG green tea extract 400 mg (2 caps)
- NOW vitamin D 2000 IU (2 gels)
- NOW probiotics gr8-dophilus (2 caps)
- NOW B6 50mg (1 tab)
- NOW magnesium citrate 200 mg (1 tab)
- NOW alpha lipoic acid 250mg (2 caps)
- NOW vitamin E 400 natural d-alpha tocopheryl (1 gel)
- NOW vitamin B-12 1000 mcg (1 lozenge)
- Nature made calcium 750 mg/D400/K50 (1 tab)
- Jarrow n-acetyl cysteine 600mg (2 caps)

I split the above in 2 daily doses, with food each time.

My other long-term problems include bipolar disorder (mostly depression), sleep issues, heartburn, slow/frequent urination, and vitamin D deficiency. My physician has vetted all the supplements I take (he actually wrote me prescriptions for them, so I can buy them tax-free in my FSA, and he is not against the others). But he is not an authority on supplements, so I'm pretty much left on my own doing research on them. I chose most of the above for their anti-HIV activity based on studies I found. I have had levels taken for calcium, magnesium, selenium, B12 and D. I am on a high dose of D (about 5000 IU total per day) because my bipolar med (tegretol) depletes it.

Is there any other supplement you would add to the list if you were in my shoes ?
Obviously with the HIV I'm at a slight disadvantage for reaching immortality. But I still wouldn't mind taking other things that could benefit me. In particular anything that can give me more energy would be good. I tend to have a lot more fatigue than I used to, though I'm not sure if it's caused by the HIV, depression, or a little of both.
Cost is not the biggest issue. I could go to a $10/day regimen if I was convinced it was worth it.

I think it’s great that you haven’t started the HIV medications:

from Encarta: To decrease the toxic effects of drugs and to defer costly therapy, in 2001 United States federal health officials recommended delaying drug treatment for HIV infection in people showing no symptoms and who have been infected with HIV for more than six months. The new guidelines call for delaying treatment until an infected person’s CD4 cells fall below 350 cells per microliter of blood or the HIV viral load exceeds 30,000 per microliter of blood. Evidence suggests that delaying treatment poses no harm to infected people and, in fact, benefits them by deferring the toxic side effects of the drugs.

Anyway, about your supplements, Vitamin E should not be taken at that high dose especially if it’s only one form. There was a recent study that showed 400 IU of natural E increased mortality if used long term, you should try something that has all 8 forms of Vitamin E. I’ve searched all through Iherb and vitacost and it appears that only 2 brands have all 8 forms. Jarrows FamilE and GNC isomer E, but everyone here hates GNC and claim their low quality so Jarrow would likely be a better choice.

#64 madbrain

• Topic Starter
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:34 AM

you have aids and you dismiss it because a handful of "nuts" who ran a current through a silver dollar in water turned blue?
pretty sure the new commercial stuff doesn't have any side effects, unlike if you make it at home.

anyway, just a thought. saw sometihng on naturalnews.com or something.

I don't have AIDS actually, I have HIV. That is not the same thing, it is a different clinical stage. Most people progress from HIV to AIDS over time, and lab tests can show that progression. In my case the tests show no progression in 26 months. They are actually getting better. I am not really sure what's causing the lack of progression, whether it's due to my good genes - which the scientists are studying now, since my lack of progression is statistically exceptional - or the supplements I have been taking.

Regardless, I am not going to take something that is unproven and with potential serious documented side effects. There are a lot of supplements on the market to choose from that I should be picky. On sunday I refilled all my bottles for the next month - I counted 28 different supplements, and 58 capsules/tablets/softgels. I haven't ordered any refill for 2009 yet but my goal will be more likely to reduce some of what I take rather than add I think.

#65 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:55 PM

Madbrain: I'm keen for another update to see how are things going now. I hope your kicking HIV's ass.

#66 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:21 PM

fyi - there was some research done on HIV and GliSODin supplementation. GliSODin seems ideal for boosting an immune system, since SOD lies at the core of protecting the body from oxidative stress. I'm not sure whether it is appropriate to integrate into your current regimen or whether it is appropriate for you at this time, but something to consider. It is one of the first line anti-oxidants I would think of when considering solutions for an immuno-compromised individual.

Please note that this research data/note seems very sparse.

http://research.glis...ients-on-haart/

#67 Pablo M

• 636 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:38 PM

Madbrain, I'm not sure what blood test you got to determine "too high" selenium levels. It's quite safe given the right form. There are a few trials you could google with regard to selenium and CD4 levels.

Also, have you read Harold Foster's book at all? Never does he deny that HIV causes AIDS. Perhaps you should give it a read; after all, you started this thread (i assume) to gain new insight and perspective.

#68 tham

• 1,406 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:57 AM

How do you manage to keep it to such a low cost
with that extensive a regimen of supplements ?

Over here in Malaysia, it would be costing me at
least M$500 to M$600 a month if I took that many.

Lactoferrin.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....st_uids=7622881

You are already on the right track with EGCG - it inhibits gP120.
Throw in olive leaf extract and selenium. Perhaps rosemary too.

http://www.imminst.o...showtopic=19527

Hedgehog is correct. HIV continues to mutate in the presence
of low viral load knocked down by HAART regmiens.

http://www.imminst.o...showtopic=20151

#69 tham

• 1,406 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:57 PM

I noted you that you found your selenium blood levels
"too high" on just 275 mcg ?

Selenium is critical in HIV and quite a few other RNA
viruses, as the others have mentioned.

It's largely due to falling selenium levels in our soil that
several viruses have mutated in recent years - Ebola,
Nipah, Hantaan, Coxsackie B3, polio, HBV, HIV, H5N1
- and very likely H1N1 as well.

I corresponded with Dr Will Taylor several years ago, phoned
him too. He did much of the research on selenium in HIV.

If I were you, I'd take at least 600 mcg as sodium selenite.

I've posted the rest in my old HIV thread.

#70 tham

• 1,406 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:29 PM

There are two types of immunity in the body. Humoral
immunity and cellular mediated immunity. After HIV
infection the body primarily uses cellular mediated
immunity. When you seroconvert and start showing
antibodies to HIV humoral immunity takes over and
starts fighting the infection. However, it has been
shown that cellular mediated immunity is more
effective in containing the infection. Some
interleukins suppress humoral immunity and
promote cellular mediated immunity.

I cannot find the specifics at the moment but I
believe it is IL-2.

If you were to find something that specfically increases
IL-2 production I feel you would be better off. However
this is just a stipulation.

Selenium upregulates IL-2.

http://www.journals..../10.1086/315911

http://www.ncbi.nlm....l=pubmed_docsum

http://www.ncbi.nlm....9?dopt=Abstract

sponsored ad

• Advert

#71 Johann

• 372 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:56 PM

Eating a couple of Brazil nuts every day will supply just the right amount of selenium. Selenium is a critical trace mineral used by the body to regenerate the natural antioxidants that it makes. Don't take the pill form of selenium as it is not safe.

PS. Just because two Brazil nuts helps doesn't mean to eat 50 a day. Selenium is so powerful that one only needs a few hundred micrograms a day.

Edited by Johann, 02 July 2009 - 01:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users