Photo
- - - - -

Resveratrol for 16 y/o

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 DeGenisis

• 13 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:54 PM

I bought AOR's Acta-Resveratrol for its effects on mood and testosterone. I want more a little for aggression and confidence, since the SSRI's(Zoloft) I've taken for over 8 years for OCD seem to have killed it. Will it be okay for someone my age? I should also point out that one reason for trying this is that the SSRI's have basically flat lined my emotions, and many people say it gives a mood boost.

Edited by DeGenisis, 07 March 2008 - 11:57 PM.

#2 DeGenisis

• Topic Starter
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:32 AM

And also, is this a good brand? I see RevGenetics thrown around a lot but I have this now anyway.

Heres the link to it http://www.aor.ca/in...resveratrol.php

SUPPLEMENT FACTS:
Serving Size: 1 Capsule
Quercetin ...................................................... 51 mg
Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) .................................. 40 mg
Piper Nigrum ................................................... 20 mg

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:19 AM

And also, is this a good brand? I see RevGenetics thrown around a lot but I have this now anyway.

Heres the link to it http://www.aor.ca/in...resveratrol.php

SUPPLEMENT FACTS:
Serving Size: 1 Capsule
Quercetin ...................................................... 51 mg
Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) .................................. 40 mg
Piper Nigrum ................................................... 20 mg

This is a pretty sophisticated formulation for reasons that go beyond the ingredients listed here. The quercetin and "piper nigrum", which we normally call piperine, are compounds that inhibit sulfation and glucuronidation, respectively. Those are processes that your body uses to detoxify and eliminate various agents that you might ingest. Some people are not entirely comfortable with this approach to bioavailability enhancement. I can't tell from anything they say on the web site whether they are using a low or high purity extract. If it's high purity, then I would not expect any psych effects from it. For that, you should just pick up some cheap Country Life or whatever brand. It's not really the resveratrol that you want, but the other stuff that's in the extract. I kind of doubt that you are going to get the effect you're looking for, or if you do, that it will last very long.

#4 DeGenisis

• Topic Starter
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 05:00 PM

How would this one be?

http://www.nowfoods....l&item_id=92129

Its the only other one I've seen in the health food store and I'd have to take a lot of it to get a decent amount of resveratrol, which would give me a ton of the other ingredients and I don't know if thats good...

#5 spaceistheplace

• 397 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 05:44 PM

my god, your parents have had you on SSRI's since you were 8?

#6 DeGenisis

• Topic Starter
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 06:00 PM

my god, your parents have had you on SSRI's since you were 8?

The OCD was intolerable, and my quality of life was serverely impacted. At one point I was up to 200mg of Zoloft, and I couldn't even cry, despite wanting to. But I feel that the SSRI's have procured several long-term changes in my brain, for the better. I've progressively lowered my dosage from 200mg to 100mg (presently trying to go to 50), while my OCD has actually gotten better. I'm at the point now where I feel like I can move on, to finally drop the SSRI, to start to live again.

About the resveratrol, I live in Canada and our customs is a bitch, I've had things stopped at the border for months (digestive enzymes ffs), so I'm apprehensive about ordering from the US.

Edited by DeGenisis, 08 March 2008 - 06:03 PM.

#7 luminous

• 269 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:01 PM

I'm interested in what people here who are knowledgeable in resveratrol think of a 15/16-year-old taking it. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks.

#8 scorpe

• 33 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:17 PM

I'm interested in what people here who are knowledgeable in resveratrol think of a 15/16-year-old taking it. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks.

I don't give my just 17 y. old son resv. (soccer player on prof. level) until the (long term) effects (for young people) are known. I just give him a good multi, fish oil, pomegranate, acai and a few other things.

#9 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:20 PM

I agree with scorpe, I simply don't recommend it for anyone that young.
A

#10 luminous

• 269 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:06 PM

I agree with scorpe, I simply don't recommend it for anyone that young.
A

I understand and appreciate this way of thinking--that it's wise to be cautious with young brains. But is there anything specific that you know about resveratrol and/or teenagers that would make you think that the two should not mix? I really appreciate any thoughts on this, even if it's just speculation. Thanks.

#11 balance

• 449 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:12 AM

"I understand and appreciate this way of thinking--that it's wise to be cautious with young brains. But is there anything specific that you know about resveratrol and/or teenagers that would make you think that the two should not mix? I really appreciate any thoughts on this, even if it's just speculation. Thanks."

How about that it might interfere with physical growth/maturation? It's has a potent effect in lowering circulating IGF-1 levels.. If you're 15-17 you still have potential growth in you.. I wouldn't screw around with that.

#12 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:16 AM

Judging by the amount of red wine they feed their kids in Italy, I'd say resveratrol doesn't have a discernible negative effect. :|o

Seriously, no one has published anything I can find on the effects of chronic treatment in the young. I find it hard to believe it can be any worse than what they give routinely for ADHD.

A single dose in 7-day old rats was neuroprotective:

Neurosci Lett. 2007 Jun 13;420(2):133-7. Epub 2007 May 6.
Neuroprotective effects of resveratrol against traumatic brain injury in immature rats.Sönmez U, Sönmez A, Erbil G, Tekmen I, Baykara B.
Department of Histology and Embryology, School of Medicine, Dokuz Eylul University Inciralti, TR-35340 Izmir, Turkey. atac.sonmez@deu.edu.tr

Childhood trauma resulting in traumatic brain injury (TBI) due to accidents and abuse is the major cause of death and dysfunction in the young. Since there are no approved specific pharmacological agents that block the progression of the secondary injury, the current management of TBI is mainly supportive. We aimed to determine the effect of resveratrol on hippocampal damage and behavioral deficits in 7-day-old rat pups subjected to contusion injury. Resveratrol was injected intraperitoneally at the doses of 100 mg/kg of body weight immediately after induction of traumatic injury. Hippocampal damage was examined by cresyl violet staining and behavioral alterations were evaluated using open field and novel object recognition tests 2 weeks after trauma. Histopathological evaluation showed that treatment with a single dose of 100 mg/kg resveratrol (i.p.) after the trauma significantly ameliorated the trauma induced hippocampal neuron loss at ipsilateral and contralateral hippocampal brain regions of rats. Additionally, treatment with resveratrol decreased anxiety and increased cortex/hippocampus dependent memory of animals subjected to blunt head trauma. These results show that acute treatment of resveratrol has a neuroprotective role against trauma induced hippocampal neuron loss and associated cognitive impairment in rats.

PMID: 17531385

#13 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 04:13 AM

"I understand and appreciate this way of thinking--that it's wise to be cautious with young brains. But is there anything specific that you know about resveratrol and/or teenagers that would make you think that the two should not mix? I really appreciate any thoughts on this, even if it's just speculation. Thanks."

How about that it might interfere with physical growth/maturation? It's has a potent effect in lowering circulating IGF-1 levels.. If you're 15-17 you still have potential growth in you.. I wouldn't screw around with that.

I couldn't find a citation for lowering IGF levels with a scan of pub med. Do you have a citation?

#14 DeGenisis

• Topic Starter
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:09 AM

I'm going to be taking this product here instead of the AOR I said I was.. http://www.nutraplan...ons/stoked.html

Lets hope it doesn't screw me up too bad.

#15 sUper GeNius

• 1,501 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:23 AM

I'm going to be taking this product here instead of the AOR I said I was.. http://www.nutraplan...ons/stoked.html

Lets hope it doesn't screw me up too bad.

To much quercitin. More of it than resveratrol. I personally wouldn't take more than 50 mg Q at a time. I take one AOR cap, an 81mg aspirin, some curcumin w/ piperine, all that along with 4 g of 98% t-res.

• Lurker

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:47 AM

They say reservatrol mimics some of the effects of CR, correct?

Rats fed a CR diet from a young age end up maturing to become ~50% smaller than their ad libitum counterparts.

Something you may want to take into consideration.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#17 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 02:57 PM

They say reservatrol mimics some of the effects of CR, correct?

Rats fed a CR diet from a young age end up maturing to become ~50% smaller than their ad libitum counterparts.

Something you may want to take into consideration.

The CR rats were smaller because they did not get enough food during a critical growth period. This is one effect CR mimetics do not duplicate, so it won't be a factor with resveratrol for adolescents.

Resveratrol has been fed to adolescent rats, and as far as I know their physical maturation was normal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users