Photo
- - - - -

Vegetarian supplementation

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 meursault

• 370 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:46 PM

I am interested in providing a thread about essential supplements for vegetarians (like me).

I currently take omega-3 fish oil capsules and a multivitamin that has a lot of vitamin b's. I am interested in purchasing carnosine and alcar because I've read some product websites that say they are necessary, but, I'm trying to avoid advice from a website trying to tell me something :p

Any suggestions? I want to go beyond general vitamin/mineral supplementation, since this knowledge is widely available. Let's also put other general supplementation aside, such as antioxidants, ginkgo, etc., unless you think these are necessary for a deficiency specific to vegetarianism.

Thanks!

Edited by AntonW, 13 March 2008 - 02:48 PM.

#2 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 03:11 PM

Vegetarian crew holler!

These come to mind immediately: quality b-complex, taurine, creatine, carnosine.

I am interested in providing a thread about essential supplements for vegetarians (like me).

I currently take omega-3 fish oil capsules and a multivitamin that has a lot of vitamin b's. I am interested in purchasing carnosine and alcar because I've read some product websites that say they are necessary, but, I'm trying to avoid advice from a website trying to tell me something :p

Any suggestions? I want to go beyond general vitamin/mineral supplementation, since this knowledge is widely available. Let's also put other general supplementation aside, such as antioxidants, ginkgo, etc., unless you think these are necessary for a deficiency specific to vegetarianism.

Thanks!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:09 PM

vegetarian crew holler

there is no vegetarian specific deficiencies... anyone who tells you that you, as a vegetarian, NEED to supplement something you are incapable of getting in your diet is misinformed.

if you are a VEGAN... than a b12 & calcium supplement would be prudent.

and btw, taking fishoil would negate your status as a vegetarian :p

#4 meursault

• Topic Starter
  • 370 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:16 PM

Vegetarian crew holler!

These come to mind immediately: quality b-complex, taurine, creatine, carnosine.

Can you give me a suggested dosage and reasons for taurine, creatine, and carnosine? Thanks!

#5 meursault

• Topic Starter
  • 370 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:18 PM

vegetarian crew holler

there is no vegetarian specific deficiencies... anyone who tells you that you, as a vegetarian, NEED to supplement something you are incapable of getting in your diet is misinformed.

if you are a VEGAN... than a b12 & calcium supplement would be prudent.

and btw, taking fishoil would negate your status as a vegetarian :p

So is there something as good as a fish oil supplement for omega-3? Talk about it instead of negating my status, foo!

#6 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:23 PM

[/font]

i use hempseed oil... flax oil is just as good.

the idea that a healthy person wont adequately convert ala & sda into epa & dha is a FALLACY

#7 meursault

• Topic Starter
  • 370 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:27 PM

[/font]

i use hempseed oil... flax oil is just as good.

the idea that a healthy person wont adequately convert ala & sda into epa & dha is a FALLACY

Wow. I'll immediately switch. But, then why has that myth been so successfully propagated? I'd seen that conversion argument ALL over the place.

Edited by AntonW, 13 March 2008 - 04:28 PM.

#8 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:37 PM

Wow. I'll immediately switch. But, then why has that myth been so successfully propagated? I'd seen that conversion argument ALL over the place.

ive seen that argument posted MOSTLY by fish oil companies...

ive seen conversion rates anywhere from 2-10%, with no controls being kept for diet (trans fat intake etc) or nutritional status... both of which drastically effect proper conversion. the average TBSP of flax oil has around 8grams of ALA, so if we use a conservative 5% conversion... thats still 400mg EPA/DHA per tablespoon.

#9 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:02 PM

Most of these items are found in animal tissues, and imho the only reasons to eat meat (besides fish, which has EFA). Dosing on creatine is varied - many people here opt for a loading phase, involving taking steady amounts with some sugars/carbs...have a looksie around the board. Taurine currently I take about 5 grams a day distributed. Carnosine, there was a thread by Funkodyssey addressing carnosenia (?) in higher doses...I recall it not being a serious threat. All the same, I take 500mg a day. This seems fairly conservative to me!

There are many, many, shit b complexes out there. I like the AOR one out now, however the Pure Encapsulations B complex looks good too, although lacking benfotiamine.

Vegetarian crew holler!

Can you give me a suggested dosage and reasons for taurine, creatine, and carnosine? Thanks!

#10 Harvey Newstrom

• Guest, Advisor
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:21 AM

It is very easy to have a healthy vegetarian diet if you pay attention. It is also very easy to become seriously deficient in something if you don't pay attention. There is no superiority or inferiority of a vegetarian diet, because there can be good vegetarian diets and bad vegetarian diets. Veggie diets can be low or high in fat, sugar, fiber, etc.

- Make sure you get enough protein. If you do that, I'm not sure any specific aminos need to be added.
- Flaxseed oil for omega's
- Vitamin B12
- Calcium

It is true that fishoil is not vegetarian. But also, most gelatin capsules are made with beef gelatin and are not vegetarian. But this is not always certain, and it depends how concerned you want to get. (For example, most veggie burgers get grilled on the same grill that has cooked meat burgers. So, one can get really strict or more casual depending on your goals and preferences.)

Also be aware that there are ZERO sources of vitamin B-12 from purely vegan sources. I know people will disagree because books and labels often claim vitamin B-12 content. But there are analogs of B12 that humans can't use, which used to be counted and no longer are. There also used to be B12 produced by bacteria in fermented foods that is no longer present in modern sterilized production facilities. So previously cited sources of vegan B12 no longer exist or are known to be faulty. B12 can be synthesized in the laboratory, so that B12 pills are vegan, and must be taken by pure vegans to avoid deficiency. Also, be aware that B12 deficiency symptoms can take years to develop, so don't assume you are fine just because you haven't had problems.

#11 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:37 AM

Taurine currently I take about 5 grams a day distributed

i remember krillin saying something about taurine impeding the secretion of adrenaline, or something along those lines... you should drop him a pm

• Lurker

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:11 PM

It is true that fishoil is not vegetarian. But also, most gelatin capsules are made with beef gelatin and are not vegetarian.

I am a vegetarian too and realized that almost all omega-3 supplements use gelatin capsules. V-Pure(http://www.water4.net/products.htm) is the only omega-3 product that I found that is truly vegan. They claim to make their capsules from potato starch. I wonder why other companies are not using a similar technology.

Slightly offtopic: Anyone know of any test to measure your plasma EPA/DHA levels? I take 3-4g of ALA in the form of Perilla oil and I wonder how much of it is really converted to EPA and DHA.

#13 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:49 PM

It is true that fishoil is not vegetarian. But also, most gelatin capsules are made with beef gelatin and are not vegetarian.

I am a vegetarian too and realized that almost all omega-3 supplements use gelatin capsules. V-Pure(http://www.water4.net/products.htm) is the only omega-3 product that I found that is truly vegan. They claim to make their capsules from potato starch. I wonder why other companies are not using a similar technology.

Slightly offtopic: Anyone know of any test to measure your plasma EPA/DHA levels? I take 3-4g of ALA in the form of Perilla oil and I wonder how much of it is really converted to EPA and DHA.

v-pure is cool, but way expensive and not enough EPA imo...

i've also never heard of such a test... 3-4grams of ALA is not gonna cut it as far as omega-3 needs, intake should be closer to 8-10.

why are you using perilla instead of flax or hemp?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

• Lurker

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:45 PM

why are you using perilla instead of flax or hemp?

Primarily because Perilla seems to be relatively less prone to oxidation/rancidity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users