- - - - -

GABA - Best Supplments to Boost Levels

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bghead8che

• 147 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:08 PM

Hi Guys,

What is the best way to increase GABA levels in the brain? Many say that GABA in supplement form has trouble crossing the blood-brain barrier and as such may require very high levels of GABA.

I know that inositol, B6, niacin, and others can help increase levels but what Amino Acids would be most beneficial? I've read that Taurine would be helpful and boost levels.

Basically, what supplements would you take to naturally boots GABA levels other than GABA itself.

Thanks!

-Brian

Edited by Bghead8che, 13 March 2008 - 05:14 PM.

#2 gashinshotan

• 443 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:23 PM

Im just wondering why you would take GABA? It's an inhibiting neurotransmitter for most systems.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 stephen_b

• 1,736 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:40 PM

From this site:

If your GABA deficiency is mild to moderate you should be able to balance it with diet, supplements, exercise and lifestyle modifications. The amino acid glutamine is necessary for the production of GABA. Start with adding foods that are rich in glutamine (Mgs. Per 6-8 oz. serving) such as: almonds 10.3 g., bananas 220 mg., beef liver 6.5 g., brown rice 940 mg., halibut 7.9 g., oats 7.4 g., walnuts 5.4 g., spinach 680 mg..

Additional nutrients to add to your program include: inositol in doses of up to 2-12 grams per day, thiamine 400 mg. per day, niacinamide 100 mg. per day and Pyridoxine 10 mg. per day. Also taking either the herb valerian root or passionflower will boost GABA levels. GABA itself is generally not well absorbed; however, I have found a brand that is easily absorbed.

I can't vouch for its accuracy though. Quote from site: "Acetylcholine is a lubricant which keeps the cells moist so that energy and information passes easily between cells." Hmmm, moist cells...

Stephen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users