Photo
- - - - -

Sipping on my B vitamins

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:49 PM

I take most of my supplements in a big with 28oz of water and 4oz of pomegranate juice and sip on it throughout the day (aiming to take it in small even increments). I've emptied one cap of b vitamins in the mix and it really doesn't taste bad. Anyone else try this? It should be good for getting a constant dose of water soluble b vitamins throughout the day (and avoid the problems of taking too much at once).

#2 Time Traveller

• 10 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:55 PM

Or you could do as I do, and take a timed release B complex pill in the morning.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:10 PM

Some B vitamins have narrow absorption windows, so a time release pill might release them in the wrong place and they won't get absorbed.

Once B vitamins get coenzymated, they stick around in the body for a long time so there's no need to steadily dribble them into the system. I just take them in one dose like I would a fat-soluble vitamin.

We also know that the liver prefers to get niacin in an isolated chunk. Time release niacin is more toxic.

#4 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:53 PM

Some B vitamins have narrow absorption windows, so a time release pill might release them in the wrong place and they won't get absorbed.

Once B vitamins get coenzymated, they stick around in the body for a long time so there's no need to steadily dribble them into the system. I just take them in one dose like I would a fat-soluble vitamin.

We also know that the liver prefers to get niacin in an isolated chunk. Time release niacin is more toxic.

Interesting.

Do you think the time release niacin is more toxic because the liver is getting a steady dose of niacin or do you think it is how the time release is done. I always assumed the latter, but it is just an assumption.

#5 Time Traveller

• 10 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:11 PM

Interesting indeed, Krillin.

When you say that some of the B vitamins have narrow absorption windows, do you mean that the body will only absorb them at specific times of the day?
Or do you mean that these vitamins are only absorbed at specific points along the digestive tract?

Also, when you refer to the toxicity of niacin, do you mean the side effects of taking large doses of this vitamin (e.g. blushing, headaches, itching and cramp)?
What is the daily dose of niacin that you would advocate, and why?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 09:20 PM

Narrow absorption window in this context means that the substance can only be absorbed in a certain place in the GI tract. Riboflavin seems to be a model compound for this phenomenon.

When I said toxicity I was just referring to the liver toxicity when you take gram quantities. I don't think anyone knows the mechanism.

I don't know what an ideal dose would be. 50-100 mg a day seems reasonable. More if you're treating some condition. It depletes methyl groups so watch your homocysteine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users