89 replies to this topic

#61 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:17 PM

Finally....

A sample that worked out!

http://www.RevGeneti...ia_09152008.pdf

I am actually waiting on another ingredient for the final formula, so this may take a bit, but at least I nailed down a decent supplier. I am going along with the fourth sample to see if I actually have 2 decent suppliers....

Cheers
A

#62 HighDesertWizard

• 830 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:27 AM

Finally....

A sample that worked out!

http://www.RevGeneti...ia_09152008.pdf

I am actually waiting on another ingredient for the final formula, so this may take a bit, but at least I nailed down a decent supplier. I am going along with the fourth sample to see if I actually have 2 decent suppliers....

Cheers
A

WHOA !!

This is terrific news Anthony... So, can you spill the beans and tell us what might be mixed in as another ingredient? Another 5-Lipoxygenase inhibitor? What?

Congratulations on this achievement!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 meat250

• 66 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:16 AM

i just find it fishy that that product claimed 35% AKBA, and it tested out to be 47%??? i mean im not mad at all and thin k its great, but why not advertise as 50% ...just seems weird, almost like they are short changing themselves...

Meat

#64 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:08 PM

I have the email from the supplier,

they did mention that it would test that high, but having been testing a couple that failed, I was very skeptical and would have been happy if it simply tested at 35%.

Seeing the results from the lab, confirms the higher purity.

A

#65 malbecman

• Topic Starter
  • 733 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:01 PM

Uhhh.... arsenic at 405ppb and lead at 283ppb? Anyone else concerned about that??

#66 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:30 AM

Uhhh.... arsenic at 405ppb and lead at 283ppb? Anyone else concerned about that??

thats pretty normal, actually. i would be wiling to bet that if you tested everything you ate today for arsenic and lead it would mostly test in this range or higher. apples, carrots, wheat, rice, meat, etc, nearly all test for trace amounts of heavy metals. i only worry at the 1 or 2 ppm. anything higher than that is worrisome to me.

you do have mechanisms in your body to eliminate trace amounts of heavy metals you might consume.

#67 HereInTheHole

• 105 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:36 AM

Not saying it's acceptable or not, but aren't both at less than 1 ppm?

Arsenic .4047 ppm
Lead .2827 ppm

Edit: I didn't notice that it's ppb(illion). I'd say that's acceptable.

Edited by NarrativiumX, 17 September 2008 - 12:49 AM.

#68 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:45 AM

Not saying it's acceptable or not, but aren't both at less than 1 ppm?

Arsenic .4047 ppm
Lead .2827 ppm

yes, 'malbecman' converted those numbers from ppm, to ppb. i personally wouldn't have a problem with .4 ppm content of arsenic.

here is something i just found. turns out rice bran, which is in literally thoussands of products, typically contains 1 mg/kg of arsenic, thats the same as 1 ppm. also, since the US has NO arsenic level of food regulations for all we know we have been eating food high in arsenic routinely.

http://www.nutraingr...ic-levels-study
The findings revealed that rice bran and rice bran solubles contain inorganic arsenic levels of around 1mg/kg dry weight, which is around 10-20 times the concentration found in bulk grain.

Currently, China is the only country to have modern levels of how much arsenic is permitted in food, and has set the limit at 0.15mg of inorganic arsenic per kg of food.

The US and EU have no standards for arsenic levels in food, but the US has a 0.01mg/liter limit in drinking water. The World Health Organization (WHO) has also placed a provisional level of 0.01mg/l in drinking water. The UK has standards that date back to 1959, and that set the limit of 1mg/kg total arsenic in foodstuffs.

Edited by Phoebus, 17 September 2008 - 12:45 AM.

#69 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:16 AM

I believe both numbers are commonly acceptable by the FDA, and are in many of the supplements you buy already. Having said that, the numbers are actually smaller as most will not take 1000mg (1 gram) of Boswelia a day. These numbers are for a gram of powder (1000mg).

What I am showing you here serves as a reminder that the supplements you find in your local chain store/ wallgreens or Wallmart have suggested dosages for a reason. Unless you get a COA from the company, you have to assume that the suggested daily dosage for your favorite supplement, is probably the maximum you can take before getting more than acceptable levels of these heavy metals.

Basically you are assured acceptable levels of these items, at the suggested dosage. If you take more than the suggested dose without a COA, you maybe on your own. (Ok, mybe I am making it overly dramatic...) but just keep it in mind for safety.

As an example, we know that some folks will take multiple grams of resveratrol, so we make sure it is very clean.

A

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 17 September 2008 - 02:21 AM.

#70 malbecman

• Topic Starter
  • 733 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:13 PM

Yes, I see now and stand corrected. I did a little lit searching on my own as well on arsenic levels in foodstuffs. I had no idea it was so prevalent. I did find this study about a woman who was taking multiple supplements and
starting showing hair loss and memory loss. It turns out one of her supplements, a kelp supplement, tested at 8.5ppm and she showed elevated blood levels as well. When she stopped taking them, her symptoms resolved.

So the levels in her supplements were approx. 20X higher than those in the Boswellia test results. I also found the Food and Drug Administration has a tolerance level of 0.5 to 2 ppm for certain food products so we are just below the lower limit on those.
Still, I think there is a lesson to be learned (if only I could remember it). ;-)

Case report: potential arsenic toxicosis secondary to herbal kelp supplement.
Amster E, Tiwary A, Schenker MB.
School of Medicine, University of California-Davis, One Shields Avenue, Davis, CA 95616, USA.
CONTEXT: Medicinal use of dietary herbal supplements can cause inadvertent arsenic toxicosis. CASE PRESENTATION: A 54-year-old woman was referred to the University of California, Davis, Occupational Medicine Clinic with a 2-year history of worsening alopecia and memory loss. She also reported having a rash, increasing fatigue, nausea, and vomiting, disabling her to the point where she could no longer work full-time. A thorough exposure history revealed that she took daily kelp supplements. A urine sample showed an arsenic level of 83.6 microg/g creatinine (normal < 50 microg/g creatinine). A sample from her kelp supplements contained 8.5 mg/kg (ppm) arsenic. Within weeks of discontinuing the supplements, her symptoms resolved and arsenic blood and urine levels were undetectable. DISCUSSION: To evaluate the extent of arsenic contamination in commercially available kelp, we analyzed nine samples randomly obtained from local health food stores. Eight of the nine samples showed detectable levels of arsenic higher than the Food and Drug Administration tolerance level of 0.5 to 2 ppm for certain food products. None of the supplements contained information regarding the possibility of contamination with arsenic or other heavy metals. The 1994 Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA) has changed the way dietary herbal therapies are marketed and regulated in the United States. Less regulation of dietary herbal therapies will make inadvertent toxicities a more frequent occurrence. RELEVANCE TO CLINICAL PRACTICE: Clinicians should be aware of the potential for heavy metal toxicity due to chronic use of dietary herbal supplements. Inquiring about use of dietary supplements is an important element of the medical history.

PMID: 17450231

#71 malbecman

• Topic Starter
  • 733 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:34 PM

I just thought it was also worth noting that in the recent study which showed the big improvements in osteoarthritis and decrease in MMP from Boswellia, improvements in the patients were noted at just 100 mg total 5-Loxin per day (50 mg 2X daily) and 250 mg per day (125 mg 2X daily).
So we shouldnt be needing to take large gram quantities of this stuff anyways.......

http://arthritis-res...ontent/10/4/R85

#72 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:06 PM

Yes,

I agree with you Malbecman, I think smaller doses of Boswelia will be more than sufficient for the benefits.

Cheers
A

#73 HighDesertWizard

• 830 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:18 PM

I just thought it was also worth noting that in the recent study which showed the big improvements in osteoarthritis and decrease in MMP from Boswellia, improvements in the patients were noted at just 100 mg total 5-Loxin per day (50 mg 2X daily) and 250 mg per day (125 mg 2X daily).
So we shouldnt be needing to take large gram quantities of this stuff anyways.......

http://arthritis-res...ontent/10/4/R85

Here's the graphic from the above study showing 5-Loxin dosage and MMP reduction. My comments on the graphic and the implications for dosage appear below it.

Attached File  BoswelliaArthritisMMPl.jpg   49.82KB   25 downloads

What's clear from the graphic is that we have no idea what dose of Boswellia (with high percentage AKBA) to take to reduce MMPs. MMPs are CRITICAL elements in the pathology of multiple serious diseases including Coronary Artery Disease, which I have. If I can reduce my MMP levels to close to zero, then, THAT would truly be an incredible thing. My risk related to my CAD would be dramatically reduced, virtually eliminated.

I agree that for purposes of prevention, it isn't necessary to use large doses of Boswellia. But for those with serious disease conditions (like 1st Immortal?) higher doses are worth thinking about.

#74 malbecman

• Topic Starter
  • 733 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:59 PM

I"m not so sure you want to reduce your MMPs close to zero, wccaguy. They are implicated in the pathology of many serious diseases like you said but they also have normal roles to carry out in your body as well. To quote a text "MMPs are important in many normal biological processes including embryonic development, angiogenesis, and wound healing, as well as in pathological processes such as inflammation, cancer, and tissue destruction. MMPs collectively cleave most, if not all, of the constituents of the extracellular matrix (ECM) and are involved in the breakdown and remodeling of many tissues and organs."

I"m sure if someone made a MMP-3 knockout mouse, for instance, it would not be a very healthy animal. Here is a PNAS study looking at some double knockouts, for instance:

http://www.pnas.org/.../15575.abstract

What's clear from the graphic is that we have no idea what dose of Boswellia (with high percentage AKBA) to take to reduce MMPs. MMPs are CRITICAL elements in the pathology of multiple serious diseases including Coronary Artery Disease, which I have. If I can reduce my MMP levels to close to zero, then, THAT would truly be an incredible thing. My risk related to my CAD would be dramatically reduced, virtually eliminated.

I agree that for purposes of prevention, it isn't necessary to use large doses of Boswellia. But for those with serious disease conditions (like 1st Immortal?) higher doses are worth thinking about.

#75 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 01:57 AM

I just thought I'd let everyone know that within the next 6 weeks, I will be selling 99.99% Pharmaceutical Grade AKBA (acetyl-11-keto-beta-boswellic acid)....

Cheers

As of right now, I can only get 90%.

Until then ;)

#76 Ketty

• 3 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 06:17 AM

Boswellia (the resin is also known as Indian frankincense) is a moderate to large branching tree found in the dry, hilly areas of India. When the tree trunk is tapped, a gummy oleoresin is exuded. A purified extract of this resin is used in modern herbal preparations. Boswellia may promote joint health, mobility and comfort, and enhance blood flow to the joint region and may contribute to comfort in the lower back.

(edited by Matthias: spam link removed)

Edited by Matthias, 01 October 2008 - 03:46 PM.

#77 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:04 PM

I don't know if someone mentioned this but there is a lot of buzz about boswellia (frankincense) having antidepressant/antianxiety components (the main one has been named incensole acetate, get it "incense") and no they are not working by the the usual serotonin et al. pathways but by activating proteins such as TRPV3 and poorly understood ion channels.

http://www.thinkgene...d-the-ceremony/
http://www.scienceda...80520110415.htm
http://personalitymo...ease_depression

edit: problem being though you would need standardized extracts for incensole, so possibly extracts standardized for anti-inflammatory components may be tossing the incensole, one would have to look at solubility and how the extraction and concentration was done (solvents filters whatever), until then anyone wanting to experiment with this for depression/anxiety might be better off trying a simple concentrated whole herb like product.

Edited by edward, 30 September 2008 - 04:09 PM.

#78 HighDesertWizard

• 830 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:04 PM

I don't know if someone mentioned this but there is a lot of buzz about boswellia (frankincense) having antidepressant/antianxiety components (the main one has been named incensole acetate, get it "incense") and no they are not working by the the usual serotonin et al. pathways but by activating proteins such as TRPV3 and poorly understood ion channels.

http://www.thinkgene...d-the-ceremony/
http://www.scienceda...80520110415.htm
http://personalitymo...ease_depression

edit: problem being though you would need standardized extracts for incensole, so possibly extracts standardized for anti-inflammatory components may be tossing the incensole, one would have to look at solubility and how the extraction and concentration was done (solvents filters whatever), until then anyone wanting to experiment with this for depression/anxiety might be better off trying a simple concentrated whole herb like product.

I can testify to the positive, anti-depressant effects of Boswellia. For the first time in my life, due to extremely pressing personal and professional stress that happened at once, I tried a serotonin reuptake inhibitor (prozac). I didn't feel depressed but I didn't feel anything any longer. I felt numb. Tragedy could be occuring in my life and I would have felt nothing.

I stopped that crap cold turkey and immediately switched to high dose Boswellia along with Rhodiola and Ashwagandha. Within a week, I felt better and no longer numb. Within 10 days, my long present EARLY STAGE carpal tunnel symptoms vanished. (I have had periods where I stopped the Boswellia and my carpal tunnel comes right back.)

I had tried Rhodiola and Ashwagandha before and there is no way the recent effect I've had was triggered by those two alone. It's clear to me that Boswellia made the difference.

I've tried Modafinil and Adrafinil... Those are pretty nifty drugs but can they really be used long term? I think not.... For me, Boswellia is enough.

AND MOST RECENTLY.... get this..... I've had green/brown eyes my whole life.... they have been a mushy sort of brown.... But the outer edges of my eyes are now turning blue.... Really... Loved ones have confirmed the eye color change. I'm not just imagining it.

Well, I did a bit of googling..... turns out that eye color is driven by melanin and through some association with 5-LO and Leukotrienes and inflammation, something happens.... i'm not clear from the literature yet what is really going on... BUT MY EYES are changing color... Sheeshhh.....

It's going to be a bit longer than I had hoped to determine if Boswellia will have an impact on my cardiac related numbers that I am hoping for. When I have the results I'll posts them here....

Ohhh.... one last thing... over at the TrackYourPlaque forum where I do most of my posting about Boswellia, "Greenie" provided an update on an unexpected result of his taking Boswellia as follows:

I am thrilled to report that the intense itching in my leg due to nerve impingement/inflammation in L3-4 is still gone. With each passing day I realize that the itching nightmare may finally be over for me. After 18 months of this you have no idea what a relief this has been to me!

EDIT... I should say that, as I've written above, I'm using 5-Loxin Boswellia. The reports about metals appearing in some of these products make me nervous. I will only use 5-Loxin until Anthony comes out with his product...

Edited by wccaguy, 30 September 2008 - 05:10 PM.

• like x 1

#79 HighDesertWizard

• 830 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:07 PM

Regarding 5-Loxin Boswellia powder bioavailability and solubility...

I've moved to taking the powder to reduce the cost... As someone reported above, Boswellia should be taken with fat. I've tried to mix the powder with water, low fat milk, no fat milk, whole milk, heavy cream, and olive oil. Clearly the more fat you mix it in the better. I'm currently using whole milk. Heavy cream has more calories than I prefer to take.

If anyone has any additional ideas I should try, I'd love to hear them and I'll report back.

Edited by wccaguy, 30 September 2008 - 06:11 PM.

#80 malbecman

• Topic Starter
  • 733 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:59 PM

How about with some nice dark (real) chocolate? Melted gently? Then you would get the double benefit of having your cocoa phenolics.......

Regarding 5-Loxin Boswellia powder bioavailability and solubility...

I've moved to taking the powder to reduce the cost... As somehow reported above, Boswellia should be taken with fat. I've tried to mix the powder with water, low fat milk, no fat milk, whole milk, heavy cream, and olive oil. Clearly the more fat you mix it in the better. I'm currently using whole milk. Heavy cream has more calories than I prefer to take.

If anyone has any additional ideas I should try, I'd love to hear them and I'll report back.

#81 HighDesertWizard

• 830 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:24 AM

Hi Anthony,

Any news on the Boswellia product front from Revgenetics?

Thanks.

#82 tomnook

• Life Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 06:28 PM

I just thought I'd let everyone know that within the next 6 weeks, I will be selling 99.99% Pharmaceutical Grade AKBA (acetyl-11-keto-beta-boswellic acid)....

Hi luv2increase

Any news on your 99.99% grade? I'm very interested in buying some from you.

I've been giving my 100lb 9-year old bullmastiff dog 150mg a day of 30% grade in his morning meal for the past month. Today, after missing a couple of his bi-weekly underwater treadmill sessions, his physiotherapist couldn't believe the improvement in his movement. She commented that he was moving better than at any time she'd seen him over the past two years with him almost running in the water at 4mph. Normally he manages 2.5-3mph.

He has degenerative disc disease and spondylosis in his spine.

My dog's physio. would like some too .... for osteoarethritis in one of her knees!

Thanks for any info.

#83 malbecman

• Topic Starter
  • 733 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:54 PM

Regarding the anti-depressant effects, there was also this recent tidbit from John Hopkins in FASEB about frankincense preparations. Note that these effects are not from AKBA which is the primary component in 5-Loxin (>30% AKBA), for instance, but are from incensole acetate and could be found in 5-Loxin at low concentrations or in other frankincense preparations.

This is from the Wikipedia entry on frankincense. It's the best I can do now, I can't get on the FASEB web site right now:

As of May 2008 FASEB Journal announced that Johns Hopkins University and the Hebrew University of Jerusalem have determined that frankincense smoke is a psychoactive drug that relieves depression and anxiety in mice.[3] The researchers found that the chemical compound incensole acetate is responsible for the effects.[3]

Here is the abstract of the paper as well:

FASEB J. 2008 Aug;22(8):3024-34. Epub 2008 May 20.
Incensole acetate, an incense component, elicits psychoactivity by activating TRPV3 channels in the brain.
Moussaieff A, Rimmerman N, Bregman T, Straiker A, Felder CC, Shoham S, Kashman Y, Huang SM, Lee H, Shohami E, Mackie K, Caterina MJ, Walker JM, Fride E, Mechoulam R.

Burning of Boswellia resin as incense has been part of religious and cultural ceremonies for millennia and is believed to contribute to the spiritual exaltation associated with such events. Transient receptor potential vanilloid (TRPV) 3 is an ion channel implicated in the perception of warmth in the skin. TRPV3 mRNA has also been found in neurons throughout the brain; however, the role of TRPV3 channels there remains unknown. Here we show that incensole acetate (IA), a Boswellia resin constituent, is a potent TRPV3 agonist that causes anxiolytic-like and antidepressive-like behavioral effects in wild-type (WT) mice with concomitant changes in c-Fos activation in the brain. These behavioral effects were not noted in TRPV3(-/-) mice, suggesting that they are mediated via TRPV3 channels. IA activated TRPV3 channels stably expressed in HEK293 cells and in keratinocytes from TRPV3(+/+) mice. It had no effect on keratinocytes from TRPV3(-/-) mice and showed modest or no effect on TRPV1, TRPV2, and TRPV4, as well as on 24 other receptors, ion channels, and transport proteins. Our results imply that TRPV3 channels in the brain may play a role in emotional regulation. Furthermore, the biochemical and pharmacological effects of IA may provide a biological basis for deeply rooted cultural and religious traditions.

PMID: 18492727

#84 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:11 AM

We may have to weigh the risks and benefits of 5-LOX inhibitors just like we do with COX inhibitors.

Chem Biol. 2006 Nov;13(11):1121-2.
Targeting lipoxygenases with care.
de Souza PM, Newson J, Gilroy DW.
Airway Disease Section, National Heart & Lung Institute, Imperial College of Medicine, Dovehouse Street, London, SW3 6LY, United Kingdom.

Though fish oils possess cardio-protective, anti-inflammatory, and anti-cancer properties, their molecular and biochemical mechanism of action is lacking. In this issue of Chemistry & Biology, Tjonahen and colleagues identify a new metabolite of eicosapentanoic acid, resolvin E2, produced by 5-lipoxygenase.

PMID: 17113992

Chem Biol. 2006 Nov;13(11):1193-202.
Resolvin E2: identification and anti-inflammatory actions: pivotal role of human 5-lipoxygenase in resolvin E series biosynthesis.
Tjonahen E, Oh SF, Siegelman J, Elangovan S, Percarpio KB, Hong S, Arita M, Serhan CN.
Center for Experimental Therapeutics and Reperfusion Injury, Department of Anesthesiology, Perioperative, and Pain Medicine, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA.

The family of resolvins consists of omega-3 fatty acid-derived mediators, including E series resolvins generated from eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), and carry potent anti-inflammatory properties. Here, we report the isolation, identification, and bioactions of resolvin E2 (RvE2), which is 5S,18-dihydroxy-eicosapentaenoic acid. RvE2 stopped zymosan-induced polymorphonuclear (PMN) leukocyte infiltration and displayed potent anti-inflammatory properties in murine peritonitis. We also demonstrate that human recombinant 5-lipoxygenase generates RvE2 from a common precursor of E series resolvins, namely, 18-hydroxyeicosapentaenoate (18-HEPE). Furthermore, the initial 5-hydroperoxide intermediate was also converted to a 5(6)-epoxide intermediate in RvE1 formation. These results demonstrate that RvE2, together with RvE1, may contribute to the beneficial actions of omega-3 fatty acids in human diseases. Moreover, they indicate that the 5-lipoxygenase in human leukocytes is a pivotal enzyme that can produce both pro- and anti-inflammatory chemical mediators.

PMID: 17114001

#85 malbecman

• Topic Starter
  • 733 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:48 PM

It's never easy, is it???? :)

Thanks for the find, Krillin......

We may have to weigh the risks and benefits of 5-LOX inhibitors just like we do with COX inhibitors.

Chem Biol. 2006 Nov;13(11):1121-2.
Targeting lipoxygenases with care.
de Souza PM, Newson J, Gilroy DW.
Airway Disease Section, National Heart & Lung Institute, Imperial College of Medicine, Dovehouse Street, London, SW3 6LY, United Kingdom.

Though fish oils possess cardio-protective, anti-inflammatory, and anti-cancer properties, their molecular and biochemical mechanism of action is lacking. In this issue of Chemistry & Biology, Tjonahen and colleagues identify a new metabolite of eicosapentanoic acid, resolvin E2, produced by 5-lipoxygenase.

PMID: 17113992

Chem Biol. 2006 Nov;13(11):1193-202.
Resolvin E2: identification and anti-inflammatory actions: pivotal role of human 5-lipoxygenase in resolvin E series biosynthesis.
Tjonahen E, Oh SF, Siegelman J, Elangovan S, Percarpio KB, Hong S, Arita M, Serhan CN.
Center for Experimental Therapeutics and Reperfusion Injury, Department of Anesthesiology, Perioperative, and Pain Medicine, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA.

The family of resolvins consists of omega-3 fatty acid-derived mediators, including E series resolvins generated from eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), and carry potent anti-inflammatory properties. Here, we report the isolation, identification, and bioactions of resolvin E2 (RvE2), which is 5S,18-dihydroxy-eicosapentaenoic acid. RvE2 stopped zymosan-induced polymorphonuclear (PMN) leukocyte infiltration and displayed potent anti-inflammatory properties in murine peritonitis. We also demonstrate that human recombinant 5-lipoxygenase generates RvE2 from a common precursor of E series resolvins, namely, 18-hydroxyeicosapentaenoate (18-HEPE). Furthermore, the initial 5-hydroperoxide intermediate was also converted to a 5(6)-epoxide intermediate in RvE1 formation. These results demonstrate that RvE2, together with RvE1, may contribute to the beneficial actions of omega-3 fatty acids in human diseases. Moreover, they indicate that the 5-lipoxygenase in human leukocytes is a pivotal enzyme that can produce both pro- and anti-inflammatory chemical mediators.

PMID: 17114001

#86 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:56 AM

Is anyone out there having positive results with a quality organic boswellia extract like Himalaya's? Does using 5 Loxin really make that much of a difference?

#87 BieraK

• 275 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:12 AM

I will post this here because of all of the boswellia threads this is the larger

Boswellia has some interesting effects on collagen, I was trying to find out an alternative to centella asiatica, because the later has some side effects on testicles according to some studies, I think that more research is needed for centella asiatica. Centella also has good effects on dendrite branching and elogation, effects that are similar to Bacopa, was sad to me when I look the studies showing side effects in vivo on rats testicles :/.

Boswellia effects on skin according to examine:

Mechanistically, Boswellic acids may act to inhibit hyaluronidase (an enzyme that degrades hyaluronic acid),[141][142] Leukocyte elastase,[87] and via the anti-inflammatory effects can inhibit expression of a variety of Metalloproteinases (MMP1, 3, 10, and 12) in endothelial cells.[22] These pro-inflammatory enzymes are known to have roles in degradation of the extracellular matrix, collagen, and elastic fibers of skin cells.

A skin cream containing 0.5% Boswellic acids appeared to enhance skin elasticity, reduce sebum excretions, and confer photoprotective in female participants using the cream for a period of 30 days both at the end of treatment as well as during one month followup, in 15 women applying the cream to half their face (other half used as control for reference) with a mean age of 44.4;[142] this study is duplicated in Medline,[143] and other improvements that were noted to occur with 0.5% Boswellic acid cream are less roughness (26% reduction cream side, 11% control side), less 'fine smooth lines'(20% reduction on cream side, 3% control side) and nonsignificant trends to improve erythema and wrinkles, and all benefits were maximally effective within 30 days (with no added benefit at day 60).[142][143]

Has demonstrated efficacy in improving skin quality and elasticity when applied to human faces, possibly mediated by anti-inflammatory effects

Boswellia shares similar mechanism to Centella Asiatica on dendrite projection and elongation
https://www.ncbi.nlm...ubmed/20217445/
https://www.ncbi.nlm...es/PMC4877965/ 

And here is the good part, Boswellia in comparison with other cognitive enhancing herbs, with the great exception of Ashgawhanda and Ginseng, protects Testicles and increases sperm production

https://www.research..._Adult_Male_Rat

So if you want an herb with anti-inflammatory effects, sperm and testicle enhancing, cognitive function and skin effects, Boswellia looks like a good candidate... I think that Centella Asiatiaca is better for skin and cognitive function, and for cardiovascular system, however due to the not very well studied side effects of the later in the male reproductive system, Boswellia looks better for now. 

Edited by BieraK, 14 July 2017 - 04:13 AM.

• like x 1

#88 blind12

• 77 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 01:25 AM

The "sperm and testicle enhancing" study you linked was Boswellia thurifera, not Boswellia serrata though, not sure how different they are:

Effect of Frankincense (Boswellia thurifera) on reproductive system in adult male rat
Journal of Health Science 53(4):365-370. July 2007. DOI: 10.1248/jhs.53.365
"A significant increase of spermatogenesis in testes due to increase in the number of primary, secondary spermatocytes and spermatids in the treatment groups was attributed to a significant increase in testosterone and Follicle stimulating hormone (FSH)."
doi: 10.1248/jhs.53.365

Edited by blind12, 30 April 2018 - 01:27 AM.

#89 blind12

• 77 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 01:29 AM

Reliably contaminant-free Boswellia serrata extract powders do not seem to be sold anywhere any more, what happened and can anyone recommend sources?
Last one I used was Super Boswellin® and I loved the leather smell of it. Would like more

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#90 DaveX

• 84 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 12:06 AM

It's possible to find powder, but then there is usually no information on boswellic acid content as in "extract" capsules which are richly advertised in boswellic acid content of generally around 75% or higher. Any idea what the bosellic acid (or extract content) content could be in common powder?
Edit: Wikipedia says the ordinary substance has about 15%. I guess it's better to buy pills and grind or just chew them, no? Along with something fatty.
Edit2: Actually just found a good offer of 100g with 65% acids on amazon where I live. Beats all other offers there, strange.

Edited by DaveX, 02 September 2019 - 12:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users