Photo
- - - - -

Social Phobia

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Miracle

• 15 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:39 AM

What are some good vitamins and combinations for Social Phobia i want to treat this problem i developt.

#2 balance

• 449 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:21 AM

The best vitamin is called psychotherapy...

There's no easy cure for mental issues, don't always look for one. If you got social phobia, what makes you think a certain vitamin will all of a sudden make you a new man?

I'm sorry, but it's just that I see plenty of people do this, and I think it's a mistake to treat a mental/spiritual problem with a chemical solution when we're talking about personality issues. There's some people for whom it works, but most people could just use some therapy.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 drmz

• 574 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:35 AM

What are some good vitamins and combinations for Social Phobia i want to treat this problem i developt.

How did it develop ? I had a social phobia before and i knew the reason, stopping the reason eventually led to less anxiety (after some years). Bacopa made me more outgoing as well. It made me go out more to meet other people.

#4 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:54 AM

How did it develop ? I had a social phobia before and i knew the reason, stopping the reason eventually led to less anxiety (after some years). Bacopa made me more outgoing as well. It made me go out more to meet other people.

I hear a lot about Bacopa, I just started taking it. Never did anything for me the first time I tired it. Trying a different brand.

#5 gashinshotan

• 443 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:17 AM

Marijuana

#6 drmz

• 574 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:22 AM

Marijuana

Sure !? Marijuana is not really recommended for people with social phobia.

I start to notice benefical effects of bacopa in the 4th week taking it.

#7 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 March 2008 - 12:10 PM

yes

Marijuana

haha the worst thing for high anxiety people to take!

Edited by ajnast4r, 20 March 2008 - 12:11 PM.

#8 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:50 PM

St. John's Wort helped my friend a lot with this.

#9 gashinshotan

• 443 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:02 AM

yes

Marijuana

haha the worst thing for high anxiety people to take!

I used to be strung up, with bad social anxiety. Marijuana significantly improved it to where I don't really care usually even speaking in front of a crowd. It works as an anti-depressant and increases hippocampal cell survival and number which are critical for normal mental health.

#10 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:25 AM

I used to be strung up, with bad social anxiety. Marijuana significantly improved it to where I don't really care usually even speaking in front of a crowd. It works as an anti-depressant and increases hippocampal cell survival and number which are critical for normal mental health.

i would say your experience is the minority... marijuana tends to increase anxiety and paranoia in most people.

#11 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:36 AM

I used to have social phobia, it got worse than I thought it would a few years ago. However the solution was very simple, exposing yourself to the environment you feel uncomfortable in. For me I noticed the problem and I fixed it, you can do the same. No supplements needed! I can now go on stage in front of hundreds of people and feel totally fine! Lots of other situations don't bother me now either.

#12 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 02:38 AM

I used to have social phobia, it got worse than I thought it would a few years ago. However the solution was very simple, exposing yourself to the environment you feel uncomfortable in. For me I noticed the problem and I fixed it, you can do the same. No supplements needed! I can now go on stage in front of hundreds of people and feel totally fine! Lots of other situations don't bother me now either.

I think social phobia and stage fright may be two different things. I used to be terrified of public speaking, but with practice I not only got comfortable with it but even started to like it. I can give a presentation to hundreds of people, yet I still get apprehensive if I'm going to a party where I don't know people. I don't think that counts as a phobia, exactly, but public speaking didn't erase it.

Pot is not a good plan, imho. Psychotherapy might help. SSRIs would probably help too.

#13 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:19 AM

Public speaking: Try Toastmasters.
Small group issues: Go out of your way each day to go a little further in conversation with a stranger than you did the day before. You could start out with smiling and saying "Hey" to a cashier or "Have a nice day", "How's it going?". Whatever.

Couldn't hurt, and I'd bet a good bit it's a much better long-term solution than anything pharmaceutical.

And, just so I've covered the typical Shepard response: get your ass in a gym.

#14 gashinshotan

• 443 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:44 AM

i would say your experience is the minority... marijuana tends to increase anxiety and paranoia in most people.

That's initially. Even hardcore potheads experience that at times, but after the first few times, even most new users come to enjoy it.

#15 gashinshotan

• 443 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:49 AM

I think social phobia and stage fright may be two different things. I used to be terrified of public speaking, but with practice I not only got comfortable with it but even started to like it. I can give a presentation to hundreds of people, yet I still get apprehensive if I'm going to a party where I don't know people. I don't think that counts as a phobia, exactly, but public speaking didn't erase it.

Pot is not a good plan, imho. Psychotherapy might help. SSRIs would probably help too.

Marijuana isn't harmful beyond the bronchitis caused by smoking... you can ingest it and avoid this only risk while it has been shown to promote neurogenesis and is effective in treating depression through hippoccampal neurogenesis. It doesn't affect memory either; I've been a lot to moderate user over the past couple years and it hasn't affected my grades much and I can memorize more now than before I used it at all.

Edited by gashinshotan, 21 March 2008 - 03:50 AM.

#16 drmz

• 574 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:38 AM

Effects of Heavy Marijuana Use on Learning and Social Behavior

Research clearly demonstrates that marijuana has the potential to cause problems in daily life or make a person's existing problems worse. Depression17, anxiety17, and personality disturbances18 have been associated with chronic marijuana use. Because marijuana compromises the ability to learn and remember information, the more a person uses marijuana the more he or she is likely to fall behind in accumulating intellectual, job, or social skills. Moreover, research has shown that marijuana’s adverse impact on memory and learning can last for days or weeks after the acute effects of the drug wear off19,20,25.

Students who smoke marijuana get lower grades and are less likely to graduate from high school, compared with their nonsmoking peers21,22,23,24. A study of 129 college students found that, among those who smoked the drug at least 27 of the 30 days prior to being surveyed, critical skills related to attention, memory, and learning were significantly impaired, even after the students had not taken the drug for at least 24 hours20. These "heavy" marijuana abusers had more trouble sustaining and shifting their attention and in registering, organizing, and using information than did the study participants who had abused marijuana no more than 3 of the previous 30 days. As a result, someone who smokes marijuana every day may be functioning at a reduced intellectual level all of the time.

More recently, the same researchers showed that the ability of a group of long-term heavy marijuana abusers to recall words from a list remained impaired for a week after quitting, but returned to normal within 4 weeks25. Thus, some cognitive abilities may be restored in individuals who quit smoking marijuana, even after long-term heavy use.

Workers who smoke marijuana are more likely than their coworkers to have problems on the job. Several studies associate workers' marijuana smoking with increased absences, tardiness, accidents, workers' compensation claims, and job turnover. A study among postal workers found that employees who tested positive for marijuana on a pre-employment urine drug test had 55 percent more industrial accidents, 85 percent more injuries, and a 75-percent increase in absenteeism compared with those who tested negative for marijuana use26. In another study, heavy marijuana abusers reported that the drug impaired several important measures of life achievement including cognitive abilities, career status, social life, and physical and mental health27.

Maybe it's different when you're 100% healthy. I also know some people who seem to absorp more information when being stoned. But most people i know can only bing eat and play video games when they smoke. I have seen alot of students smoking during the week and i also saw how they made their exams and how well they learned. Usually pot smoking leads to "abnormal"social behaviour. There are always exceptions ofcourse.

Edited by drmz, 21 March 2008 - 07:41 AM.

#17 gashinshotan

• 443 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:08 AM

Effects of Heavy Marijuana Use on Learning and Social Behavior

Research clearly demonstrates that marijuana has the potential to cause problems in daily life or make a person's existing problems worse. Depression17, anxiety17, and personality disturbances18 have been associated with chronic marijuana use. Because marijuana compromises the ability to learn and remember information, the more a person uses marijuana the more he or she is likely to fall behind in accumulating intellectual, job, or social skills. Moreover, research has shown that marijuana’s adverse impact on memory and learning can last for days or weeks after the acute effects of the drug wear off19,20,25.

Students who smoke marijuana get lower grades and are less likely to graduate from high school, compared with their nonsmoking peers21,22,23,24. A study of 129 college students found that, among those who smoked the drug at least 27 of the 30 days prior to being surveyed, critical skills related to attention, memory, and learning were significantly impaired, even after the students had not taken the drug for at least 24 hours20. These "heavy" marijuana abusers had more trouble sustaining and shifting their attention and in registering, organizing, and using information than did the study participants who had abused marijuana no more than 3 of the previous 30 days. As a result, someone who smokes marijuana every day may be functioning at a reduced intellectual level all of the time.

More recently, the same researchers showed that the ability of a group of long-term heavy marijuana abusers to recall words from a list remained impaired for a week after quitting, but returned to normal within 4 weeks25. Thus, some cognitive abilities may be restored in individuals who quit smoking marijuana, even after long-term heavy use.

Workers who smoke marijuana are more likely than their coworkers to have problems on the job. Several studies associate workers' marijuana smoking with increased absences, tardiness, accidents, workers' compensation claims, and job turnover. A study among postal workers found that employees who tested positive for marijuana on a pre-employment urine drug test had 55 percent more industrial accidents, 85 percent more injuries, and a 75-percent increase in absenteeism compared with those who tested negative for marijuana use26. In another study, heavy marijuana abusers reported that the drug impaired several important measures of life achievement including cognitive abilities, career status, social life, and physical and mental health27.

Maybe it's different when you're 100% healthy. I also know some people who seem to absorp more information when being stoned. But most people i know can only bing eat and play video games when they smoke. I have seen alot of students smoking during the week and i also saw how they made their exams and how well they learned. Usually pot smoking leads to "abnormal"social behaviour. There are always exceptions ofcourse.

Marijuana just amplifies who you are. When I smoke weed, I smoke it with people who have been in rehab, failed out of college, and who are obvious idiots. Yet I did not follow their example, and I usually wipe the floor with straight-edge nerds (upperclass asians with strict parents and manly pre-med women) who haven't even tried marijuana in most of the large memorization courses' exams (biochem and microbio), without going to class by simply cramming in all that info in the few days before the final, despite the claims of the teachers that it was impossible to do so in even a week - and I did it despite regularly smoking throughout school! I also know of a medical student stoner.

#18 Miracle

• Topic Starter
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:53 AM

introvert is very close but not exactly it.

Im a deep thinker and get lost in my own world of talking while other people are talking about a conversion, i usually think its un important and talk to myself about something i find more amusing.
I used to do this very little of the time, but ever since moving to another province i seem to do it alot.
Ive become very self conscious and im not really shy person, except in very specific situations.

Although the thing i am aiming for is to become Extroverted person, this may be hard because of me having some charatericsts as a introvert but maybe some medication or mood boosters would help.

So i dont think i have OCD or Social Phobia, Im just Introverted and i know something else is missing but right now i want to change that, introverted has been with me for such a long time i want to let it go and become extroverted, anyone want to give me suggestions for my first steps?

Heres a great article on Introverts and Extroverts:

http://www.azcentral...a...html?

#19 gashinshotan

• 443 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:57 AM

Im a deep thinker and get lost in my own world of talking while other people are talking about a conversion, i usually think its un important and talk to myself about something i find more amusing.
I used to do this very little of the time, but ever since moving to another province i seem to do it alot.
Ive become very self conscious and im not really shy person, except in very specific situations.

Although the thing i am aiming for is to become Extroverted person, this may be hard because of me having some charatericsts as a introvert but maybe some medication or mood boosters would help.

So i dont think i have OCD or Social Phobia, Im just Introverted and i know something else is missing but right now i want to change that, introverted has been with me for such a long time i want to let it go and become extroverted, anyone want to give me suggestions for my first steps?

Watch Hitler speeches - he was very introverted even until the end of his life while his speeches only reveal this inherent narcissism. His speeches show how he used his deep inner thoughts as tools for gaining power over others with verbal word.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#20 drmz

• 574 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:19 AM

Maybe search a social rol with a extrovert norm. The norm will slowly change to you being more extravert in other social roles as well. I notice i'm more extrovert when my social role during work or study demands it more. When i have a vacation for longer then two weeks, i tend to get more introvert again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users