Photo
- - - - -

Deprenyl treatment attenuates long-term pre- and post-synaptic changes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:08 AM

Eur J Pharmacol. 2007 Nov 14;573(1-3):100-10. Epub 2007 Jul 4.
Deprenyl treatment attenuates long-term pre- and post-synaptic changes evoked by chronic methamphetamine.
Davidson C, Chen Q, Zhang X, Xiong X, Lazarus C, Lee TH, Ellinwood EH. Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Box 3870, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA. colda@duke.edu

Deprenyl, used clinically in Parkinson's disease, has multiple pharmacological effects which make it a good candidate to treat neurotoxicity. Thus, we investigated deprenyl's ability to attenuate methamphetamine-induced dopamine neurotoxicity. We also examined deprenyl's effect in changing markers associated with psychostimulant sensitization. A potential therapeutic effect on either pathological domain would be a boon in developing novel treatments for methamphetamine abuse. Adult male Sprague-Dawley rats were split into 6 groups. Three groups received a 7-day saline minipump with saline, 0.05 or 0.25 mg/kg SC deprenyl injections given for 10 days before, during and 5 days after the 7-day saline minipump implant. Similarly, 3 groups received methamphetamine pumps (25 mg/kg/day) with escalating daily injections of methamphetamine (0-6 mg/kg) in addition to the minipump treatment. These rats also received saline, 0.05 or 0.25 mg/kg deprenyl injections given before, during and the 7-day minipump treatment. Rats were killed on day 28 of withdrawal and brain samples taken. HPLC analysis for dopamine and 3,4-Dihydroxy-Phenylacetic Acid (DOPAC) revealed a loss of dopamine in the caudate and accumbens which was partially reversed by high dose deprenyl. Tyrosine hydroxylase immunostaining in the midbrain was unaffected by methamphetamine, suggesting that dopamine neurotoxicity was localized to the caudate. Western blot analysis of the caudate after methamphetamine revealed little change in Alpha-Amino-3-Hydroxy-5-Methyl-4-Isoxazole Propionic Acid (AMPA) GluR1 or N-Methyl-d-Aspartate (NMDA) NR2B subunits, or their phosphorylation state. However, methamphetamine increased levels of GluR1 and its phosphorylation state in the prefrontal cortex (PFC), and these increases were attenuated by deprenyl. Methamphetamine also increased levels of PFC NR2B subunit, but these increases were not attenuated by deprenyl. We suggest that deprenyl may be effective in reducing the neurotoxic effects of methamphetamine and may also attenuate changes in prefrontal AMPA receptor function, presumably more associated with addiction rather than neurotoxicity.

PMID: 17651730 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

• like x 1

#2 Rags847

• 362 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 01:07 PM

Eur J Pharmacol. 2007 Nov 14;573(1-3):100-10. Epub 2007 Jul 4.
Deprenyl treatment attenuates long-term pre- and post-synaptic changes evoked by chronic methamphetamine.
Davidson C, Chen Q, Zhang X, Xiong X, Lazarus C, Lee TH, Ellinwood EH. Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Box 3870, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA. colda@duke.edu

Interesting study.
Would deprenyl be a good substance to take when on a drug break from ADHD medications? Or is deprenyl a good alternative to ADHD meds? What's the difference between deprenyl and adderall/ritalin, etc? They both raise dopamine levels, right? They're developing a deprenyl patch to treat ADHD I read? I need to read up on and understand the pros and cons of deprenyl more.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 leonine77

• 17 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:36 AM

I'm currently strongly considereing buying some liquid depreneyl. I have major ADD plus a host of other crap, and amphetamines always made me edgy, so I'm hoping Deprenyl wi;; help me where AMps didn't. Don't want to put it on a pedastel, but I hope it will help strengthen my libido as well.
After I've taken it for a while, I'll post on it.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:35 AM

People should note that deprenyl can cause anxiety for some. If you have been placed on medications by a doctor an are thinking of self prescribing deprenyl I recommend you do 1) speak with your doctor first and, 2) get a home blood pressure (BP) monitor and map your BP daily

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users