Sunday Evening Update - March 30th

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:04 PM

Lets Talk Nanotech!

Tune in to the Immortality Institute's Sunday evening news and interview program The Immortality Update on Sunday March 30th, 5pm CDT (22:00 GMT) for an interview with Christine Peterson - President of Foresight. http://www.foresight.org/

Ustream Immortality Update channel found here

Foresight is the leading think tank and public interest institute on nanotechnology. Founded in 1986, Foresight was the first organization to educate society about the benefits and risks of nanotechnology. At that time, nanotechnology was a little-known concept.

Today, with the basic framework of public understanding in place, we are refocusing our efforts on guiding nanotechnology research, public policy and education to address the critical challenges facing humanity.

Foresight’s new mission is to ensure the beneficial implementation of nanotechnology.

Foresight is accomplishing this by providing balanced, accurate and timely information to help society understand and utilize nanotechnology through public policy activities, publications, guidelines, networking events, tutorials, conferences, roadmaps and prizes.

Christine Peterson:

Christine Peterson writes, lectures, and briefs the media on coming powerful technologies, especially nanotechnology. She is Founder and Vice President, Public Policy, of Foresight Nanotech Institute, the leading nanotech public interest group. Foresight educates the public, technical community, and policymakers on nanotechnology and its long-term effects.

She serves on the Advisory Board of the International Council on Nanotechnology, the Editorial Advisory Board of NASA's Nanotech Briefs, and on California's Blue Ribbon Task Force on Nanotechnology.

Attached Files

#2 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:25 AM

This will be a great interview, I'm excited that Foresight will be at our upcoming Convergence Unconference. I listened to Christine talk at a Accelerated Change conference in San Francisco 03, she was quite inspirational, I learned a lot about nanotech :-D.

#3 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:43 PM

Christine has been watching the development of nanotech for a couple of decades and thus should have some very interesting long term insight.

If you cannot attend, please list any questions you have here in this forum.

#4 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:16 PM

And of course, after the official broadcast, news and interview, we will have some fun just "shootin' the breeze".

#5 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:33 PM

No questions about nanotech for our guest tonight? What's next? What is the greatest danger? What are the companies to keep an eye on for big developments? Ms. Peterson is "in the know" about these things. It is a great opportunity to ask questions of someone at the forefront of a new technology revolution.

#6 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:01 PM

I will attend, but I will go ahead and ask a question here in advance (if it doesn't get brought up I will ask it again there).

What do you see as the most promising thing associated with nanotech that will be coming in the short term (5 years), medium term (10-20 years), and long term (more than 30 years)? How confident are you about these predictions based on the developments you have witnessed up to this point?

#7 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:45 PM

Rather than ask the usual question about when we will see an assembler or which area of nanotech will provide the best results the soonest; I would like to know when we can expect a comprehensive theory of intelligent matter making all forms of autonomous molecular assembly possible?

I should add that I expect genetics to be a subcategory to that unified theory of matter and it might also require the larger question of a truly unified theory of physics in general.

I also think we are already seeing remarkable synergy already between genetics and nanotech in respect to how computer technology is going to advance over the next five years. I think the medical aspects of nanotech are already being felt and are going to be felt considerably more in the near and long term. Soooo....

What do you think will be the immediate NEXT BIG THING in nanotech?

(just to make a very small oxymoronic joke).

#8 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 10:19 PM

I don't get any view of the corollary chat even though I am *signed in* and hear the audio.

#9 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 10:26 PM

Again, the chat box is not working for me at the ustream site is it running somewhere else?

#10 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 10:34 PM

Again, the chat box is not working for me at the ustream site is it running somewhere else?

I've been having issues the entire time, as well. I have to reload the page every minute or so to keep up with the audio. But, I'm not known for my internet skills.

#11 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 10:35 PM

OK that was annoying. The chat doesn't work in Firefox but it does when I opened up IE7.

#12 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:12 PM

Not sure what was up with the text chat. Some people were able to participate. Someone mentioned that it was a problem with the Ustream server.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users