- - - - -

How did they test this ?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 drmz

• 574 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 04:41 PM

Miami - 01/17/2008
Tests Show RevGenetics Resveratrol Health Supplements are Top SIRT1 Activator Among Other Commercial Herbal Supplements.

SIRT1 activation tests performed by BIOMOL Research Laboratories demonstrate the benefits of RevGenetics resveratrol health supplements.

Miami, FL – RevGenetics announced today that tests performed by BIOMOL Laboratories demonstrate that RevGenetics resveratrol health supplements activate SIRT1 better than any other commercially available herbal supplements tested in the last five years. BIOMOL tests show that RevGenetics herbal resveratrol in its X1000 capsule has the ability to activate the Sirtuin 1 gene and was at times better than research-grade resveratrol.

As read on RevGntics Site

How did they test this SIRT1 activation ? Is there more information available then shown on the page ?

I see the article underwent the seo routine of adding it to several sites, just to spread the word. Funny pages :-D :p

http://www.instadump...e.cfm/id/251948
http://www.1363.com/...e.cfm/id/251948
http://www.pr-inside.../date-2008-1-17
http://www.elrob.com...nother_herb.php

Edited by Mind, 03 April 2008 - 04:38 PM.

#2 Hedgehog

• 462 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:16 PM

Miami - 01/17/2008
Tests Show RevGenetics Resveratrol Health Supplements are Top SIRT1 Activator Among Other Commercial Herbal Supplements.

SIRT1 activation tests performed by BIOMOL Research Laboratories demonstrate the benefits of RevGenetics resveratrol health supplements.

Miami, FL – RevGenetics announced today that tests performed by BIOMOL Laboratories demonstrate that RevGenetics resveratrol health supplements activate SIRT1 better than any other commercially available herbal supplements tested in the last five years. BIOMOL tests show that RevGenetics herbal resveratrol in its X1000 capsule has the ability to activate the Sirtuin 1 gene and was at times better than research-grade resveratrol.

As read on RevGntics Site

How did they test this SIRT1 activation ? Is there more information available then shown on the page ?

I see the article underwent the seo routine of adding it to several sites, just to spread the word. Funny pages :-D :p

http://www.instadump...e.cfm/id/251948
http://www.1363.com/...e.cfm/id/251948
http://www.pr-inside.../date-2008-1-17
http://www.elrob.com...nother_herb.php

well considering they only tested a control vs a thier own product...

was at times better than research-grade resveratrol

and it is NOT times better. Take a look at the error bars.

Posted Image

RevGenetics announced today that tests performed by BIOMOL Laboratories demonstrate that RevGenetics resveratrol health supplements activate SIRT1 better than any other commercially available herbal supplements tested in the last five years.

The company that reported these values stated:
"In summary, your resveratrol performed as good or better than ours in stimulating the activity of SIRT1."

IMO it shows that it is as pure as the research grade resveratrol. To say it activates it times better is not correct to say.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:24 PM

I don't think they are saying it was "many times" better than research grade resv, just that it was "at times" better than research grade. Which I assume means that some of their samples were better at SIRT1 activation, but not all.

#4 Hedgehog

• 462 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:40 PM

Well I think they only tested it once or at least one lot. Yes you are right at times it was better, but not statistically significant.

I popped open one of the X1000 bottles from our inventory, and sent them some capsules. I knew we sell a pretty good product, might as well check the SIRT1 gene activation on it. It's the one test we opted to do, instead of the consumer labs testing which doesn't measure the trans-resveratrol content...

#5 inawe

• 653 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 06:10 PM

I

Excellent question. Maybe Dr. Biomol can explain it (are you here?).
I might be completely wrong, but I think SIRT1 is just an enzyme for some processes. RSV does not increase the concentration of SIRT1. What RSV does is to modify the Michaelis constant for the process to make it go faster.
Guess the test was done in vitro and not in vivo. On what type of cells? Or was it on yeast? The rate of what process was measured?

#6 Hedgehog

• 462 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 06:32 PM

The SIRT1 Fluorescent Activity Assay is based on the unique Fluor de Lys-SIRT1 Substrate/Developer II combination. The Fluor de Lys-SIRT1 Substrate is a unique peptide comprising amino acids 379-382 of human p53 (Arg-His-Lys-Lys(Ac)). The assay's fluorescence signal is generated in proportion to the amount of deacetylation of the lysine corresponding to Lys-382, a known in vivo target7-9 of SIRT1 activity. Fluor de Lys-SIRT1 was the substrate deacetylated most efficiently by SIRT1 from among a panel of substrates patterned on p53, histone H3 and histone H4 acetylation sites (see Fig. 2)10

Its basically used to help screen for NCE's. A quick fast in vitro test

#7 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:52 PM

See links below:
( I believe this was posted before in January in another post...)

http://www.revgeneti...iomol/ak555.doc

Here is the Data

A

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 26 March 2008 - 07:54 PM.

#8 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:59 PM

See links below:

Here is the Data

The press release got picked up by content networks, which other sites are subscribed to and generate new content. We just made a press release, if it got copied to various websites, it's is simply because of the content networks picking this up.

Basically, it was a standard press release that got picked up by folks.

A

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 26 March 2008 - 08:03 PM.

#9 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:24 PM

The SIRT1 Fluorescent Activity Assay is based on the unique Fluor de Lys-SIRT1 Substrate/Developer II combination. The Fluor de Lys-SIRT1 Substrate is a unique peptide comprising amino acids 379-382 of human p53 (Arg-His-Lys-Lys(Ac)). The assay's fluorescence signal is generated in proportion to the amount of deacetylation of the lysine corresponding to Lys-382, a known in vivo target7-9 of SIRT1 activity. Fluor de Lys-SIRT1 was the substrate deacetylated most efficiently by SIRT1 from among a panel of substrates patterned on p53, histone H3 and histone H4 acetylation sites (see Fig. 2)10

Hedge,
would you say the following is a correct statement?

"It is a quick fast in vitro test, by the folks that know more about testing SIRT1 activation than most research labs."

I believe Sirtris uses the same test as well, using Orchid Bioscience Resveratrol.
If I am wrong, please correct me, and point me to who they are now using as it would be nice to test the X1000 powder against their standard tests as well...

A

#10 inawe

• 653 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:38 PM

Reading your post it becomes obvious you pulled it up from somewhere. Don't you think it'll be helpful if you tell us where you got it from? We might learn something.
If this Fluor de Lys thing is so much easier and faster, why do they bother to do experiments with mice and rats? Auwerx could have put a bunch of Fluor de Lys, with and without RSV, on treadmills and record how fast they run.

#11 Hedgehog

• 462 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:46 PM

Hedge,
would you say the following is a correct statement?

"It is a quick fast in vitro test, by the folks that know more about testing SIRT1 activation than most research labs."

I believe Sirtris uses the same test as well, using Orchid Bioscience Resveratrol.
If I am wrong, please correct me, and point me to who they are now using as it would be nice to test the X1000 powder against their standard tests as well...

A

Yes for the FDA they want to understand how res acts in the body. You can use a test like this to show that Molecules X,Y,Z activate or inhibit SIRT1. For example maybe one of the quercetin metabolites inhibit SIRT1. You would add Resveratrol + a quercetin metabolite and compare the activation against SIRT1 kit. Or SIRT NCE's show more potent activation of SIRT1 in-vitro because of a test like this.

#12 Hedgehog

• 462 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:50 PM

Reading your post it becomes obvious you pulled it up from somewhere. Don't you think it'll be helpful if you tell us where you got it from? We might learn something.
If this Fluor de Lys thing is so much easier and faster, why do they bother to do experiments with mice and rats? Auwerx could have put a bunch of Fluor de Lys, with and without RSV, on treadmills and record how fast they run.

Well see my post above... It is still an in-vitro test. But it basically lets you know what molecules inhibit or activate SIRT1. After you find the molecules then you can do studies like mice and rats. Because you already know from the in-vitro test that it activates SIRT1 you can assume a lot of things based on this gene and your experimental results...

Res---activates-->SIRT1 SIRT1-->is important because x.y,z

Res + Mice ---> mice live longer because we know that SIRT1 is being activated.

If you didn't do the invitro test you have no idea why res is really causing the mice to live longer.

Google "BIOMOL SIRT1"

Edited by Hedgehog, 26 March 2008 - 09:51 PM.

#13 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:51 PM

Inawe,

The fleur de lys assay is a fairly well known in vitro biochemical assay. Just because a compound exhibits a great in vitro activity does not mean it will work the same way in whole animal (in vivo) studies. An in vitro test is merely a way to simplify the system you are studying and try to understand it better. You still need in vivo animal studies and clinical trials, especially if you are trying to get FDA approval.

#14 drmz

• Topic Starter
  • 574 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:49 AM

See links below:

Here is the Data

A

Thanks for the answer. I tried to find that document but didn't find it.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#15 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:03 PM

No problem,

let me know if there is anything else.
A

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users