• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

GOD is not great

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 lancelot1700

• 31 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:28 AM

I attended a debate between Hitchens and D'souza (whats so great about Christianity). Hitchens easily won the room with his manner. I was really surprised at how many supporters Hitchens has here in deep south Mississippi. I find many people I speak with are not Christians by choice , but through social pressure here It was also sad to see during the public question and answer phase , the people who only came to try and convert Hitchens and get in the limelight for two minutes. He was told he is going to hell at least twice . This was at an honors society event . I really enjoyed the whole event and D'souza was very good. There was a book signing afterwards but alas I didnt have a copy of the book with me.

Edited by lancelot1700, 22 April 2009 - 11:29 AM.

#32 heidee12

• 7 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 02:28 AM

Christopher Hitchens??

He certainly tells it like HE thinks it is. Quite the pessimist really. You can always count on him to find the crass, base and just plain depressing side of whatever is being discussed.

He has interesting ideas, but frankly, because everything that he says is so negative I'm beginning to take what he says with a slightly bigger grain of salt. Its beginning to look as though he knows perfectly well that people come to him for the negative slant to whatever is being thrown at various talking heads to yammer on about. And that maybe he has other things to say but says only what he knows he'll be paid the most to say.

Not that this makes him any different from anyone else, but you always kinda hoped for better from him.

Edited by heidee12, 26 April 2009 - 02:29 AM.

#33 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:16 AM

Just wondering.. but why is this pinned?
It will just annoy religious people who do like to come here (or new ones) and do want to take part of imminst's goals and scare them away because it will give an impression that we are close minded religious hating people.

#34 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:54 PM

I'm not sure if we need them if they're already scared away by Hitchens. But you're right that there's no real reason to pin that thread (looks more like an endorsement, which it shouldn't be even though most of our members are critical of religion).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users