Photo
- - - - -

NAC -> Kidney Stones?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 happy

• 103 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:27 PM

My mom just came back from getting lab work done and they found she developed kidney stones, but has never had a history of stones. I began searching the forum for supplements that may cause kidney stones and found NAC may be have caused her stones since I gave her a bottle of Jarrow NAC Sustain about two months ago. I also doubt she diluted the NAC by drinking a lot of water. Nevertheless, I instructed her to cut the NAC and she has received Rx's for Soma and Vicodin for the pain.

Could any other supplements be the cause?

Jarrow Neuro Optimizer
Jarrow Sam-E
New Chapter Rhodiola
Doctor's Best Ubiquinol

Breakfast:

Ortho-Core
Jarrow Ultra Bone-Up
2-6k IU NOW Vitamin D
Jarrow BioSil
Milk Thistle
Vitamin C / Dihydroquercetin
Quercetin
Grape Seed Extract
Resveratrol
5mg Sublingual B12
TurmericForce
GingerForce
LEF Fish Oil
MagnesiumCitrate Optimizer
Pomegranate
Taurine
I3C
Aged Garlic Extract
Probiotics
Baby Aspirin
BlueberryExtract w. Cacao

I read that blueberries and chocolate are high in oxalates, is the LEF Blueberry supplement something to worry about?

I've also had her stop drinking green|black tea since I see it's also high in oxalates. However, she's drank black tea for years and has never developed kidney stones so I'm suspicious about NAC more than anything in her regimen since she's been taking the above mentioned supps for quite a long time and has only had positive lab results.

Edited by happy, 04 April 2008 - 07:49 PM.

#2 snake

• 38 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 08:25 PM

thats a lot of Vitamin D?

#3 happy

• Topic Starter
  • 103 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 08:48 PM

thats a lot of Vitamin D?

She's in her mid 50's and sits in an office all day and doesn't really get adequate D IMO.

In addition, I know a lot of people take large doses in their regimen ... but I did read that excess vitamin d does tend to be related to kidney stones so I'll definitely tell her to reduce her intake [1-3k] until this is resolved.

#4 Jacovis

• 247 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 06:58 AM

I wonder would a Pyridoxamine supplement be a good addition for this problem...

1: Urol Res. 2005 Nov;33(5):368-71. Epub 2005 Nov 15. Links

Erratum in:
Urol Res. 2006 Feb;34(1):67.
Pyridoxamine lowers oxalate excretion and kidney crystals in experimental hyperoxaluria: a potential therapy for primary hyperoxaluria.Scheinman JI, Voziyan PA, Belmont JM, Chetyrkin SV, Kim D, Hudson BG.
Department of Pediatrics, University of Kansas Medical Center, 3901 Rainbow Blvd, Room G-019 Miller Bldg, Kansas City, KS 66160-7330, USA. jscheinman@kumc.edu

In order to prevent kidney stones and nephrolithiasis in hyperoxaluria, a new treatment that specifically reduces oxalate production and therefore urinary oxalate excretion would be extremely valuable. Pyridoxamine(PM) could react with the carbonyl intermediates of oxalate biosynthesis, glycolaldehyde and glyoxylate, and prevent their metabolism to oxalate. In PM treated rats, endogenous urinary oxalate levels were consistently lower and became statistically different from controls after 12 days of experiment. In ethylene glycol-induced hyperoxaluria, PM treatment resulted in significantly lower (by ~50%) levels of urinary glycolate and oxalate excretion compared to untreated hyperoxaluric animals, as well as in a significant reduction in calcium oxalate crystal formation in papillary and medullary areas of the kidney. These results, coupled with favorable toxicity profiles of PM in humans, show promise for the therapeutic use of PM in primary hyperoxaluria and other kidney stone diseases.

PMID: 16292584 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

• Lurker

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:27 PM

I understood that low b6 levels can cause kidney stones. I don't know how much b6 she was taking. She was taking cysteine and taurine which usually requires more b6 to process those amino acids.

http://lpi.oregonsta...mins/vitaminB6/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users