Photo
- - - - -

What the World Eats

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 trance

• 335 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:21 AM

I ran across this on another forum, and thought the photo essay might be interesting here as well:

Time Magazine's "What the World Eats"

Originally from a book entitled "Hungry Planet" by Peter Menzel.

Though probably a bit biased, it is interesting to see what a week's worth of food looks like across the globe, and the associated cost spent on it.

Trance

#2 rhodan

• 76 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:33 AM

Very interesting. And you see the sheer volume of packaging of convenient food in First World.

I have not a precise idea of the cost of one week food for my family (3). A part of the cost is external (enterprise restaurant and school cantine). Next time I go to the market, I will try to take a picture.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 trance

• Topic Starter
  • 335 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:08 PM

The big thing that stands out when I look at the photos is that the majority of the leaner groups have more fruits and vegetables as a major portion of their diet. Even the group from Sicily with a large portion of their diet in bread, the other large portion is mostly vegetables and fruits.

I know, I know ... "Duh." ... but it is more apparent actually seeing it in photographic terms.

#4 rhodan

• 76 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:16 PM

The big thing that stands out when I look at the photos is that the majority of the leaner groups have more fruits and vegetables as a major portion of their diet. Even the group from Sicily with a large portion of their diet in bread, the other large portion is mostly vegetables and fruits.

I know, I know ... "Duh." ... but it is more apparent actually seeing it in photographic terms.

Hum ... The tables with more fruits and vegetables are the mexican and the egyptian ones. Yet, both family appear a bit chubby. For the mexican family it is clearly the heap of non-diet soda in the rear.

Physically, the british family seems quite lean. But, their food :p ... It is the worst, even crappier than the two american and the german.

#5 Chiggy

• 47 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 02:12 AM

Hum ... The tables with more fruits and vegetables are the mexican and the egyptian ones. Yet, both family appear a bit chubby. For the mexican family it is clearly the heap of non-diet soda in the rear.

Physically, the british family seems quite lean. But, their food :p ... It is the worst, even crappier than the two american and the german.

That British family is not the norm, and that food was a lot less sugar dense than the 2 American familys, probably why they are leaner.

Chiggy.

#6 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 08:14 PM

If it comes in a box, a wrapper, a package and has more than a few ingredients then its probably not good for you... ie the vast majority of what the developed world eats on a regular basis...

As I think Jack LaLane has been saying since the 50's.... if man made it don't eat it! Truer words have never been spoken on the subject of basic nutrition, I'll go so far and say things like grains of any sort are by default man made, in nature, especially before the selective cultivation of various strains, grains were inedible... lets see what else, fruits were smaller and more nutrient dense crab apples vs. plump modern apples, etc etc. But you don't have to go that far if you dont want to just ditch the obviously processed foods

#7 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 08:33 PM

And to think that those living with a few dollars worth of food (mostly vegetables, maybe even doing natural CR since they prolly don't eat much) eat way better than those spending hundreds of dollars in food... human race at it's best.

#8 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 08:41 PM

And to think that those living with a few dollars worth of food (mostly vegetables, maybe even doing natural CR since they prolly don't eat much) eat way better than those spending hundreds of dollars in food... human race at it's best.

True, sadly though most of these people have some nutrient deficiencies unless they are true hunter gatherers and include meat or fish in their diet, thus perhaps negating some of their CR benefits.

#9 solbanger

• 215 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 08:49 PM

That British family is not the norm, and that food was a lot less sugar dense than the 2 American familys, probably why they are leaner.

Chiggy.

Talk about sugary candy food. What strikes me as odd was how bright and florescent the American food packaging was compared to other countries. It's like the marketers have specialized in selling cheap, pre-rendered, imitation cornstarch sold as cartoon food. Instead of buying out of hunger food is bought as chemically crafted emotional pills.

Edited by solbanger, 22 May 2008 - 08:50 PM.

#10 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 08:56 PM

So which family do you think eats the healthiest diet overall.(don't judge by how healthy the family members looks from the outside,just look at the food)

#11 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:04 PM

s I think Jack LaLane has been saying since the 50's.... if man made it don't eat it! Truer words have never been spoken on the subject of basic nutrition, I'll go so far and say things like grains of any sort are by default man made, in nature, especially before the selective cultivation of various strains, grains were inedible... lets see what else, fruits were smaller and more nutrient dense crab apples vs. plump modern apples, etc etc. But you don't have to go that far if you dont want to just ditch the obviously processed foods

I understand your point here, and it is good advice for sound nutrition (from LaLane), however, it is kind-of sentimental, and is not a recipe for future progress. If the entire current human race turned to a paleo diet the natural world would be ravaged in a manner of days. Modern agricultural practices and even GM foods (including everything that has been bred, hybridized, and domesticated for the last few thousand years) are needed to sustain the current population. Also, lifespan has been increasing over the last century in spite of all the processed (unnatural) foods. Even the expected lifespan after 50 has increased by 9 years.

I am not saying people should be eating more processed foods, large fruit, and high-glycemic grains, just that this component is needed to avoid mass starvation.

#12 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:37 PM

s I think Jack LaLane has been saying since the 50's.... if man made it don't eat it! Truer words have never been spoken on the subject of basic nutrition, I'll go so far and say things like grains of any sort are by default man made, in nature, especially before the selective cultivation of various strains, grains were inedible... lets see what else, fruits were smaller and more nutrient dense crab apples vs. plump modern apples, etc etc. But you don't have to go that far if you dont want to just ditch the obviously processed foods

I understand your point here, and it is good advice for sound nutrition (from LaLane), however, it is kind-of sentimental, and is not a recipe for future progress. If the entire current human race turned to a paleo diet the natural world would be ravaged in a manner of days. Modern agricultural practices and even GM foods (including everything that has been bred, hybridized, and domesticated for the last few thousand years) are needed to sustain the current population. Also, lifespan has been increasing over the last century in spite of all the processed (unnatural) foods. Even the expected lifespan after 50 has increased by 9 years.

I am not saying people should be eating more processed foods, large fruit, and high-glycemic grains, just that this component is needed to avoid mass starvation.

Yes I understand this point, there aren't enough paleo foods to go around, mass production of easily stored cheap grains is at present the only way much of the world can avoid starvation. Yes this is true. I personally gave up on trying to solve mass problems a long time ago. This is probably insensitive, narrow minded, naive or just plain mean but I am not interested in the best way to feed the most people. I am interested in the best way to feed me and my family. "What the World Eats" is interesting to me when comparing rates of various diseases, lifespans etc. to diet not from a perspective of feeding the world. This is Imminst not Greenpeace. Immortality or rather Maximum Lifespans in itself could potentially cause world hunger, population problems...if we want to open up that can of worms.

#13 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:23 PM

Of course ending aging in the respect of ending the disease associated with aging might free up enough resources (medical expenses saved) to tackle other problems...

Along the same lines, if until then the whole world begins to eat the typical "Western" diet (which seems to be what happens once a country becomes developed), well they may be far away from starvation but think about the cost to the planet in terms of medical care will be enormous...

#14 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:54 AM

When this article came out, I laminated printed the color pictures, laminated them and took them to the kids in my class at our church. (We have 385 kids enrolled in our R.E. program--at that time I presented that lesson to grades K-5 for two sessions, around 60 kids). The pictures stimulated much discussion and insight for the children.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users