Photo
- - - - -

every conceivable means to reduce glycemic index in rice

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 InquilineKea

• 773 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:58 AM

So basically my parents are Asian and I have to visit grandparents in Taiwan next summer. This means, of course, that I'll have to eat *a lot* of white rice, which has a glycemic index almost equal to that of sugar. As a result, I'll have to find all sorts of ways to lower the glycemic index of it.

I think I'll take http://www.scienceda...loss_weapon.htm with me. I know that starch blockers have very little efficacy - but this is more of a starch "delayer" than a starch blocker. I'll also take vinegar and cinnamon - both lower food glycemic index. Mixing it with vegetables would also help lower the glycemic index (at least asians *do* eat lots of vegetables). Does anyone have any other suggestions that might drive it low? Yes exercise is another suggestion although unfortunately it'll be over the summer so it'll be too hot to exercise comfortably and I'd like to exhaust all non-exercise related options first.

#2 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:31 PM

unless youre eating plain rice on an empty stomach this wont be an issue. have a little fat and protein with the rice and GI is basically thrown out the window.

i personally think you shouldn't worry too much if its just a short visit. just enjoy yourself.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 04:58 AM

unless youre eating plain rice on an empty stomach this wont be an issue. have a little fat and protein with the rice and GI is basically thrown out the window.

Is this generally true? Like is white bread bad, but white bread with butter good? That would sure be awesome, if that were the case, though I suspect "good" would be overstating it alot. I'm really trying to cut out the fast carbs, but that can be hard when you're eating with friends or you just happen to like some things that aren't totally good for you...

#4 advancedatheist

• 1,419 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:03 AM

The way the rice market looks this year, you may have to smuggle in your own rice to Taiwan for your grandparents.

#5 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:21 AM

Is this generally true? Like is white bread bad, but white bread with butter good?

Posted Image

You've got to know the good Calories from the bad Calories.

Generally speaking, one would expect a mixed diet to be a completely different animal than the laboratory setting as far as GI and II are concerned. For most meals, you're not going to be in the fasted state, you are going to consume various macronutrients (some mixed data, everything from alcohol to chili has been examined), and you've got activity patterns to consider.

I don't think this is really an area to fret over that much for a short period of time, and any type of exercise around the eating will pretty much take care of any worries you may have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users