Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Blood Pressure Vaccine: CYT006-AngQb

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:07 AM

Hypertension Vaccine CYT006-AngQb Achieves Strong Blood Pressure Reduction During Important Early Morning Period When Most Adverse Cardiovascular Events Occur
- Blood pressure reduction achieved at 8 am versus placebo: - 25 / - 13 mm Hg (systolic / diastolic, p<0.0001 / p=0.0035)
- Blood pressure reduction dependent on vaccine dose and induced antiangiotensin II antibody levels
- Detailed results presented today at the Seventeenth European Meeting on Hypertension in Milan, Italy

SCHLIEREN (Zurich), Switzerland and MILAN, Italy, June 17, 2007 - Cytos Biotechnology AG (SWX:CYTN) presented today new clinical data on its hypertension vaccine CYT006-AngQb at the Seventeenth European Meeting on Hypertension in Milan, Italy. The vaccine candidate was tested in a placebocontrolled, double-blind phase IIa clinical trial in 72 patients with mild to moderate hypertension.

On January 26, 2007, Cytos Biotechnology reported top-line data from this study, which showed that the 300 ?g dose of the vaccine was safe, very well tolerated and efficacious in lowering day-time ambulatory blood pressure. The new data presented today show a particularly strong efficacy of the vaccine in early morning hours, a critical time period when serious cardiovascular events frequently occur. The graph below shows the mean ambulatory blood pressure during the 24-hour measurement period 14 weeks after the first injection of the vaccine or of placebo. The early morning rise of blood pressure starting at 5 am was significantly suppressed by the vaccine, leading at 8 am to a change from baseline of the blood pressure of - 25 / - 13 mm Hg compared to placebo (SBP / DBP, p<0.0001 / p=0.0035).

http://www.drugs.com...early-1317.html

Pretty sweet. You have to love immunotherapy.

#2 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:55 PM

Thought I would finally reply to this... I read about this in some science magazine awhile back and had some mixed feelings, if it works as it says and there is a need for a booster shot every "4 to 6 months" then this is great stuff for certain populations, kind of like super extended release medication. From my experience though (limited to a couple of clinical rotations), many people with high blood pressure (even severe high blood pressure) can at times have normal to low blood pressures depending on activity, diet, current situation (hospitalization, blood loss, etc.) and in these cases regularly prescribed blood pressure medication is often withheld to prevent them from going into shock, coma etc., if these same people were treated with a BP vaccine such as this there would be no way to withhold or alter the dose so you better be right before you give that vaccine or its 4 to 6 months until it wears off... Furthermore I'd like to see what the effects are over many years (i.e. do the periods of time before a booster is needed begin to get larger, if so then the risks get bigger especially if there are some permanent alterations. I suspect that if this treatment is ever approved it will carry some heavy precautions and restrictions.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 lucid

• Topic Starter
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:03 PM

Thought I would finally reply to this... I read about this in some science magazine awhile back and had some mixed feelings, if it works as it says and there is a need for a booster shot every "4 to 6 months" then this is great stuff for certain populations, kind of like super extended release medication. From my experience though (limited to a couple of clinical rotations), many people with high blood pressure (even severe high blood pressure) can at times have normal to low blood pressures depending on activity, diet, current situation (hospitalization, blood loss, etc.) and in these cases regularly prescribed blood pressure medication is often withheld to prevent them from going into shock, coma etc., if these same people were treated with a BP vaccine such as this there would be no way to withhold or alter the dose so you better be right before you give that vaccine or its 4 to 6 months until it wears off... Furthermore I'd like to see what the effects are over many years (i.e. do the periods of time before a booster is needed begin to get larger, if so then the risks get bigger especially if there are some permanent alterations. I suspect that if this treatment is ever approved it will carry some heavy precautions and restrictions.

Interesting concern. From the graphs on this page:
http://www.cytos.com...ss_E_070617.pdf
It appears that the bloodpressue drug is doing most during times of the day when blood pressure is at its highest: meaning it has only a very modest effect when blood pressure is low to start with. Perhaps it might be an issue though.

I find it amazing that the immune system trained to help with blood pressure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users