• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Methuselahs Mouse Prize - Tote Board

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#31 Da55id

• 436 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 November 2003 - 04:36 PM

Aaron, Could you please modify the front page of our website to put BJ's more riveting prose as our "here's who we are and what you should do" intro to replace the text there now - the very first text a user sees when entering our site. Please save the text that's there now...I'm thinking we should frequently change this intro text section to keep interest up and the text timely...doyou agree?

Can aging be cured in your lifetime? - Yes!

Can you do something to help now? - Yes!

Just as Polio was cured by the March of Dimes, the Methuselah Mouse Prize aims to eliminate the disease of aging from the face of the earth.

People like you have already started to contribute toward this cause. However, we need your help in order to support researchers and to save more lives

Help us win this fight!

If not for yourself, consider your family and future generations.

#32 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 08:24 PM

A quick question.. and one that has probably been thought of..

If a new version of the toteboard is available.. could an autodownload/install notify the user?

#33 Da55id

• 436 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 November 2003 - 08:41 PM

kevin, all code is autoupdated every time they board is activated (unless there's a change in the installer - which of course if you've already installed it, you don't need)

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 reason

• Guardian Reason
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 03:35 AM

When I rebooted my dial up based win2k system, the toteboard autostarted, but I can't start my dial up until win is fully finished booting up. Thus, the tote board tried to start but complained that it couldn't find the server and exited. When I tried to restart it using the desktop icon, the toteboard wouldn't start at all until I went into the TASK MANAGER and found the tote board memory image, killed it and then clicked the icon (not something a typical user would ever know to do). So, does having the toteboard autostart create a problem with dial up systems in general? or is it just me.

Hmm. That is going to be a problem. The quick solution (from a time to code perspective) is probably to have it sit there and check every so often (every few seconds, say) for the ability to make a connection if it can't find one. What do you think Aaron?

Reason
Founder, Longevity Meme
reason@longevitymeme.org
http://www.longevitymeme.org

#35 FutureQ

• 57 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 10:07 PM

Hello Peeps,

James Swayze here aka FutureQ (get it?) ;) just got re-signed up so I could post. Hey, no option for unemployed sluggo! :) Anyway I like the app, especially being able to hit the website URLs for those donors that included one and see who they are, what drives them.

Ok, bugs first, wants next. Oops, maybe sysinfo first.

AMD Athlon XP1800
512 mb ddr ram
Asus MB w/ 8 drive ports
3 WD 7200 40gb hd's
ASUS 16x max DVD player
Matsushita DVD-RAM SW-9571 (cause of many problems) Located on extra port
250mb Zip drive
Creative xgamer live! soundcard
Winblows ME (NO WINBLOWS XP, nooope not gown doit. Linux next time.)

Bugs:
I have Norton System Works 2003. I run Clean Sweep amongst that suite of apps. Everytime I click on a something that opens a new window like the news links or the url's mentioned above Clean Sweep thinks I am installing new software.

Next not a bug but not sure what good the calculate button is on the lifeline calulator. Just changing info in boxes recalc's the whole thing immediately without needing to hit the button.

Wants:
I notice that my donations made in July are listed as 'name & amount' for one type of prize then simply again exactly the same 'name & amount' for the other prize type, with no clue which is which. When donating then I wished to support them both but the website makes you do them separately. Could we add R and P behind the amounts for when someone donates to Reversal and Postpone?

Then I began donating monthly yesterday and again it was listed as above but separately, probably owing to date difference, from the July donations. If this keeps up each month and does not add them all together I am going to be listed 24 times for a years worth. Is there an answer for this? Can there be a separate page for date specific and another for total?

Thanks, and BTW Dave, please say hello to Aubrey for me.

James

P.S. Just checked the calulator again to be sure about the button as mentioned, still the same. Put in my mother's birth year. The fund needs to reach $2,147,483,647.00 to save her. Very depressing.

#36 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 10:28 PM

Yo James.. welcome aboard mate!

Sorry we don't have another signup slot for slackers like yourself.. ;) maybe we can cut you a deal if help with the trash or something.

Also Aaron, if you're listening.. can you change ImmInst rss feed to link to http://imminst.org/archive/index.xml as i nixed the old for a newer feed software.

#37 FutureQ

• 57 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 12:08 AM

Slacker!? I resemble those words! ;) It's hard work being as slack as I. Hehe

Take out the trash eh? Can I keep the tasty bits?

James

#38 FutureQ

• 57 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 12:30 AM

New uploaded personal avatar test for FutureQ.

#39 Da55id

• 436 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 November 2003 - 01:18 AM

James - Thanks for the feedback and the donations!

I too enjoy finding out about the amazing folks who have the vision and faith to make a 20 year bet. In fact I've been thinking about adding a "what kind of person donates to the prize" page to the website. Do you think you could do a one or two paragraph "why I donated" piece for us?

thanks,
Dave

#40 FutureQ

• 57 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 01:26 AM

Dave,

I'd be happy to. When do you need it?

James

#41 reason

• Guardian Reason
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 01:51 AM

P.S. Just checked the calulator again to be sure about the button as mentioned, still the same. Put in my mother's birth year. The fund needs to reach $2,147,483,647.00  to save her. Very depressing.

This would be why we need, ethically, to have working cryonic suspension and reliable providers for those who want it and have no other realistic options.

Reason
Founder, Longevity Meme
reason@longevitymeme.org

#42 Da55id

• 436 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 November 2003 - 01:57 AM

sometime in the next two weeks ok?

#43 Da55id

• 436 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 November 2003 - 02:05 AM

James re:the $2+ billion number. We decided to put the calculator in there to make the concept of life extension concrete in a way people can very clearly relate to. What depressed you gave me great joy when I noted that it'll only take $250k to save my daughter...and that such knowledge should make grandparents eventually decide that in addition to helping fund college, they should save their grandchildren's live by donating...and of course every donation helps everybody eh?

If we can get enough donations and teams committed from enough different countries we can jump start the "pride of nations" to win the prize, and therefore the funding streams that only gov'ts can afford.

And of course there is always the odd billionaire out there...who knows?

dg

#44 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 02:11 AM

maybe it might be something to color code the amounts being donated 'monthly' different from single donations so that people can get the idea that this person is an 'ongoing' supporter.. ?

#45 Da55id

• 436 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 November 2003 - 02:18 AM

I like that kev

#46 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 04:10 AM

Here's a blurb I put together for Haseltines donations..

http://www.healthext...t/MouseNews.asp

any comments?

#47 reason

• Guardian Reason
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 05:07 AM

That looks good. Can we get it on the mouse site? And are you going to tell us what you're going to be doing with healthextension.net? ;)

Reason
Founder, Longevity Meme
reason@longevitymeme.org

#48 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 06:42 AM

I can't load it onto the MMP site at this point but from when Dave e-mail

If you could see your way clear to doing this, then we could give longevitymeme, imminst and other websites something to link to if they want, along with a nice link on the Methuselah main page.

it appears he wasn't too concerned about it being on the site.. I would prefer to have it on methuselah.org myself.. I didn't want to use 'kevsplace.net' for obvious reasons.. hence healthextension.net.. which was to be used it as a showcase for the most interesting information being posted on sci.life-extension. The more I get involved here however, and with the MMP, the more I can see that it will take a little longer than I thought to get developed.. heh.

#49 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 08:17 AM

KEVIN: The more I get involved here however, and with the MMP, the more I can see that it will take a little longer than I thought to get developed.. heh.

Let me know if you'd like help installing a blogger for healthextension.net. Might make updates a bit easier and archivable.

JAMES: Take out the trash eh? Can I keep the tasty bits

Actually with the quality of posts in the past month or so.. you may go a bit hungry.

JAMES: New uploaded personal avatar test for FutureQ.

Cool. Says it all.

#50 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 08:28 AM

A closer look...

Attached Files

#51 FutureQ

• 57 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 09:15 AM

Regarding the Anti Reaper Anti Death graphic

Ahh, thanks for the credit on the image. One caveat though. This was actually intended as a proof of concept draft only and so it's not entirely my own work.

I removed the head and arm with up turned sickle from the robed body of an existing reaper drawing I found on the net. Then I added in the forward facing head and down turned right arm and a sickle that looked more balanced as it faced downward and curved to match the anti symbol as well as hook under the Reaper's body.

I then blended all these and colored where necessary, one was black and white while the other was colored. I then added the left arm, hand and latern which are my own work. Oh, and so is the anti symbol but that's quite insignifacant especially as it is widely used in public domain. I cannot take full credit for this graphic, never planned to, and so I would never try to copyright it. I can only take credit for the concept of mating the two themes, really.

One problem is I don't know the artists names of the graphics I borrowed from in order to give them credit. I just casually threw this together in an afternoon several months ago intending to use it as visual stimulation/guide for a hand drawn and painted version which I would then scan into the computer. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten around to that yet... too busy writing and seeing doctors.

The bottom line is I don't mind taking credit for piecing it together and a tiny bit of original artwork of my own but I think if it is to be displayed it should be mentioned that unkown artists helped contribute. I doubt the artists could recognize their own work but if they ever did I'd want them to know this was not ever meant as an attempt at plagerism.

Thanks,

James

P.S. Hmm, I suppose I should mention what the graphic is named so this is on record and related to it. It's named, "Anti-Death Symbol Avatar.jpg".

#52 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 09:22 AM

No problem.. I've removed the 'By James Swayze' line.. and you're post above should suffice for disclosure and disclaimer... now if you go and start a wet t-shirt competition with the images... you may need to change things ;)

#53 FutureQ

• 57 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 09:23 AM

Oops. I said lantern as I had that in mind for my next draft or finished graphic but this was actually an hour glass with the sands of time running out not a lantern. I've seen lanterns in Reaper's hands before somewhere I guess. Just needed to clarify. Will try not to clutter with mistakes in future. ;) More trash for taking out and no tasty bits?! No fair.

James

#54 FutureQ

• 57 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 09:24 AM

Hey, night owl, what you doing awake?

#55 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 09:26 AM

Afraid so... much more quite at night. What ya doing up?

#56 FutureQ

• 57 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 09:28 AM

Maybe it could say "Edited by James Swayze"? Or better yet maybe "Concept by James Swayze"? I don't know, you know the legalities you must deal with for publishing a website. Thanks again, get some sleep! ;)

James

#57 FutureQ

• 57 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 09:30 AM

Same here quieter at night. I'm a night person. Have been since childhood so says my mother. About to hit it though, but I'm on Pacific time, how about you?

James

#58 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 09:34 AM

I'm here in Central.. 3.25 AM - put me some Enya and I can work for hours - I've changed it to Concept/Edited by James Swayze.. sleep well!

#59 reason

• Guardian Reason
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 09:37 AM

Another new windows installer, this time without the startup shortcut that seems to have been causing problems. Annoyingly, InstallBase doesn't seem to have an option for allowing or disallowing a shortcut within the install dialog without a lot more custom work.

http://www.exratio.c...no-ss-setup.exe

Try it out and see if it works on your win32 machine - extra eyeballs good.

Reason
Founder, Longevity Meme
reason@longevitymeme.org

#60 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 10:38 AM

Works great for me.. Windows XP - no problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users