Photo
- - - - -

Supplements for acid reflux

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:48 PM

It seems that I may have acid reflux, although it's the silent variety. I never get heartburn, but I am having throat problems that my doctor thinks is related to acid reflux. What supplements would be considered beneficial? I am considering digestive enzymes, a probiotic (kyolic or jarrow) and maybe ginger (new chapter). I have no idea what is considered a good brand for digestive enzymes, or if they would even really help.

I'm also curious if anything I currently take could be making the problem worse. Here is a quick rundown:

AOR multi, Ubiquinol/CoQ10, fish oil (carlson's), red wine extract, zinc balance (jarrow), mag glycinate, mag malate, aged garlic (kyolic), vitamin D (gel), Vitamin D + K2 dots (twinlab), niacin (niaspan), and several other medications I have to take regardless of acid problems.

I've also been drinking a small amount of pomegranate juice, eating 2 pieces of dark chocolate, and occasionally been drinking rooibos tea. I eat frozen berries several times weekly + lots of spinach/greens.

Previously, I had been taking a gram of vitamin C, but I believe that was causing me some stomach problems. In the past I have also tried Magnesium Taurate, which I figured would have benefits, but it made me feel worse for some reason. Now I suspect it was the taurine raising stomach acid.

From the above list of stuff, the chocolate, spinach and aged garlic look like bad ideas to me. Not sure if any of the others cause acid problems or not.

And as for beneficial supplements, anything else recommended? I know there are folk remedies, like apple cider vinegar (sounds like it'd irritate my esophagus), but I'd prefer to go with supplements with some studies behind them.

Thanks.

#2 lynx

• 643 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:27 PM

d-limonene has solved this problem for some people, it is a natural citrus oil. It is available from enzymatic therapy, however, you can get CoQ10 that has it in it from LEF which is more cost effective if you already take CoQ10.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 nameless

• Topic Starter
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:37 PM

d-limonene has solved this problem for some people, it is a natural citrus oil. It is available from enzymatic therapy, however, you can get CoQ10 that has it in it from LEF which is more cost effective if you already take CoQ10.

Ooh... thanks, I forgot about d-limonene. I think Now has an ubiquinol with limonene too, but I'm not sure how much is in each pill. I currently take 100mg CoQ10 (dry, with fish oil) + 150mg Ubiquinol daily, so it probably would be easiest to just take one of those with limonene in it already.

I just checked iherb and Jarrow has some new CoQ10 out with limonene too. Their QH ultra has 300mg limonene/per 100mg CoQ10. Is there an upper safety limit to limonene? Okay to take 300/600mg daily for long periods of time?

#4 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:38 PM

>>> d-limonene has solved this problem for some people

I second this recommendation. LEF sells it, and I'm sure it's available elsewhere, too.

#5 tham

• 1,406 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:07 PM

D-limonene does look like a miracle.

http://www.dirtdocto...arch.php?id=113

It also says here to try a low carb diet.

http://www.wisdomsed...h...5&Itemid=31

#6 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:54 PM

Is there really any evidence, beyond the claims of those selling it, that limonene really has significant benefits for those with GERD? Published clinical studies or just hearsay and propaganda?

#7 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:42 PM

Manuka Honey

Worked for me in just 3 days ;) I found out I had acid reflux because I couldn't swallow properly and got a cough after eating.

Take it 3 times per day in between meals, one before bed. This should not only help the inflammation from the acid but promote healing of the tissues. I have recommended this to other people and they have had good success with this product. Let me know if it works for you too!

see; http://www.manukahoney.co.uk/

make sure it's MANUKA HONEY not just regular.

Edited by Matt, 28 April 2008 - 06:46 PM.

#8 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:43 PM

Is there really any evidence, beyond the claims of those selling it, that limonene really has significant benefits for those with GERD? Published clinical studies or just hearsay and propaganda?

No papers, just a patent.

http://www.google.co...EBAJ&dq=6420435

#9 lynx

• 643 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:59 PM

No, there haven't been any trials, but the connections, though tenuous, exist.

http://www.patentsto...escription.html

Inhibition of farnesyl protein transferase and P21ras memebrane association by d-limonene in human pancreas tumor cells in vitro.Chen X, Yano Y, Hasuma T, Yoshimata T, Yinna W, Otani S.
Department of Pharmacology, Institute of Materia Medica, CAMS & PUMC, Beijing 100050.

The monoterpene d-limonene inhibit the plasma-membrane associated P21ras expression and the post-translational isoprenylation of P21ras, a mechanism that may contribute to its efficacy in the chemoprevention and therapy of chemically induced rodent cancers and some human solid tumor cells. In the present study, the relative abilities of d-limonene to inhibit membrane associated P21ras expression in pancreas tumor cell (PaCa) was carried out with Western blotting, and the inhibition of farnesyl protein transferase (FTPase) activity during the Ras protein isoprenylation and cell proliferation were determined. Concomitantly, the effects of d-limonene on P21ras localization by immunohistochemistry and H-ras oncogene expression in PaCa tumor cell line by Northern blotting were observed. The results showed that d-limonene inhibited FPTase activity, thus to reduce P21H-ras isoprenylation. d-limonene could decrease P21ras membrane association and increase cytosolic accumulation of P21ras. This phenomenon was also noted when d-limonene-treated PaCa cells were stained immunohistochemically with anti-P21ras antibody. It is suggested that the inhibition of FPTase activity was closely related with the inhibiton of P21ras membrane association and the alteration of P21ras localization. Inhibition of farnesylation of P21ras altered their intracellular localization and, hence, disrupted their biological activity, but no relationship with H-ras oncogene expression was found.

PMID: 12903812 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

(Am J Gastroenterol 2008;103:825–837)

Statins Inhibit Proliferation and Induce Apoptosis in Barrett's Esophageal Adenocarcinoma Cells

OBJECTIVES: The incidence and mortality rates from esophageal adenocarcinoma (EAC) are rapidly increasing in the western world. Chemoprevention is being advocated to reduce the burden of disease. Statins are used clinically to treat hypercholesterolemia, and have an excellent safety profile. Statins reduce the intracellular availability of several biosynthetic intermediates important in intracellular signaling. We hypothesized that statins may effect EAC proliferation or apoptosis.

METHODS: The OE33 and BIC-1 EAC cell lines and simvastatin, lovastatin, and pravastatin were studied. Proliferation was quantified by thiazoyl blue colormetric and bromodeoxyuridine incorporation assays. Apoptosis was determined using assays for intracellular nucleosomes and caspase-3 activity. Detection of phosphorylated kinases, affinity precipitation, immunoblotting, and reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) were used to determine the effects on intracellular signaling.

RESULTS: All three statins reduced viable cell number and inhibited proliferation in a similar dose-dependent manner. Statins induced apoptosis and enhanced the antiproliferative effect of NS-398, a selective cyclooxygenase (COX)-2 inhibitor. The effects were dependent on farnesylation, but not geranylgeranylation, of intracellular targets, and statins reduced serum-stimulated Ras activity . Simvastatin inhibited activation of extracellular signal-regulated kinase (ERK) and protein kinase B (Akt) but not c-Jun NH2-terminal kinase or p38 mitogen-activated protein (MAP) kinase. Statin treatment increased messenger RNA (mRNA) and protein expression of the proapoptotic proteins Bax and Bad, but protein levels of the antiapoptotic proteins B-cell lymphoma (Bcl)-2 and Bcl-XL were unchanged.

CONCLUSIONS: Statins inhibit proliferation and induce apoptosis in EAC cells via inhibition of Ras farnesylation and inhibition of the ERK and Akt signaling pathways. Statins may have some potential as chemopreventative and adjuvant chemotherapeutic agents in EAC.

Edited by lynx, 28 April 2008 - 11:00 PM.

#10 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 03:40 PM

Thanks for the info, guys.

I have some limonene and reflux also, so I'll give it a whirl. I also have a jar of Manuka honey in my cabinet, and I'll try that if the limonene fails to do the trick. I'll also keep you all updated upon my anecdotal course.

#11 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:54 PM

Day 1 Update. Took one o' deeze this AM. Ain't noticed any reflux symptoms today. Coincidence?

#12 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:11 PM

I forgot to mention that taking a fistfull of pills at the end of a meal gives me reflux, but taking them at the beginning or in the middle does not.

#13 nameless

• Topic Starter
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:44 PM

Manuka Honey

Worked for me in just 3 days ;) I found out I had acid reflux because I couldn't swallow properly and got a cough after eating.

Thanks for the info about the honey. If I can find it somewhere locally, I'll give it a try. I think I'm going to also try ginger + d-limonene too, and see how it goes.

I'm currently taking Pepcid, which seems to be helping some, but I prefer not to take it long-term if I can help it. Although even if I do have to take it long-term, it's better than a burned up esophagus/throat/lungs.

I also read that niacin can increase stomach acid, due to it increasing histamine levels. Sorta makes sense now as to why I've felt like I've been sleeping pretty poorly ever since I started it. Maybe if I move it to mornings instead of right before bedtime, I'll sleep better. A combination of aged garlic + chocolate + lots of spinach/broccoli + niacin probably wasn't the best for my poor esophagus.

#14 tham

• 1,406 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:13 AM

http://www.ncbi.nlm....l=pubmed_docsum

#15 lynx

• 643 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:31 PM

Day 1 Update. Took one o' deeze this AM. Ain't noticed any reflux symptoms today. Coincidence?

Excellent, keep us posted.

#16 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 02:14 PM

Excellent, keep us posted.

Well, it does help quite a bit, but for me, not a cure. Maybe if I took it daily for an extended period, but 2 weeks EOD hasn't done it.

On to Manuka Honey!

#17 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 04:21 PM

Supplements for acid reflux, What is recommended?

Prilosec OTC

#18 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 04:25 PM

When there is a relatively cheap, pretty benign, now over the counter, proven treatment, at one pill a day, why mess around with questionable supplements?

#19 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 08:50 PM

When there is a relatively cheap, pretty benign, now over the counter, proven treatment, at one pill a day, why mess around with questionable supplements?

Ever heard of "adverse drug reaction?" Last year, I had a really nasty bout of what I suspect may have been a reaction to Prilosec. I may go with a PPI, but likely one other than omeprazole.

#20 nameless

• Topic Starter
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:41 PM

Ever heard of "adverse drug reaction?" Last year, I had a really nasty bout of what I suspect may have been a reaction to Prilosec. I may go with a PPI, but likely one other than omeprazole.

Exactly. There are a lot of potential side effects with prilosec, not even counting that it might interact with P450 drugs.

And I had a bad reaction to Pepcid and Zantac (tried both, as originally thought side effects were due to particular drug, not class of drugs). Started off as a stomach ache... led to what felt like a vibrating stomach, then I started getting some heart palpitations. Spoke to my family doctor and discontinued the medicines. He said it wasn't that uncommon, as he's seen it happen before.

#21 senseix

• 250 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:15 PM

Just my opinion, from what i've read over the years, the older we get the less acid we produce, and that lack of acid is the cause for acid reflux in more people than having to much acid. Not sure if thats the case with you, but you can do more testing either with a doc or if you want to be bold, go get some good digestive enzymes that also have Betaine Hydrochloride or get plain old Betaine Hydrochloride. Try taking that with each meal and see if it helps ya.

Edited by senseix, 15 May 2008 - 10:15 PM.

#22 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:52 PM

http://www.iherb.com...614299608705201

This Co-Q10 product from Jarrow might be a more economical way to obtain limonene than the d-limonene heartburn supplements if you also use Co-Q10.

#23 Opelousas Cajun

• 15 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 02:07 PM

Drinking a mix of 3-4 oz of Bragg's ACV w/~26oz of water has given me about 20+ years of NO acid reflux or issues of indigestion (you have to have the 'Mother' if you want the full benefits of ACV)....keep breath fresheners on hand for conversation/Meetings' purposes :p .

#24 inawe

• 653 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 05:06 PM

Drinking a mix of 3-4 oz of Bragg's ACV w/~26oz of water has given me about 20+ years of NO acid reflux or issues of indigestion (you have to have the 'Mother' if you want the full benefits of ACV)....keep breath fresheners on hand for conversation/Meetings' purposes :p .

When do you drink the ACV? Once a day? Before meals?
Thanks

#25 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 06:41 PM

What's the 'Mother'?

#26 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 12:45 PM

This Co-Q10 product from Jarrow might be a more economical way to obtain limonene than the d-limonene heartburn supplements if you also use Co-Q10.

I can report after taking this 3x daily with meals that all of your burps will smell pleasantly of orange peel. :p

#27 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 02:46 PM

I can report after taking this 3x daily with meals that all of your burps will smell pleasantly of orange peel. :p

did it help with reflux or heartburn though.

#28 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:29 PM

Ya. The straight limonene capsules also do that- for hours after ingestion.

#29 Opelousas Cajun

• 15 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:16 PM

Thanks

I drink the ACV/water mixture from 8am to 5pm....if I run out, I replenish it... equivalent to someone drinking coffee at the office all day (which I don't)...I've done some searching for different brands of ACV, but find that for the $$, Braggs is as good as you can get. I've inserted some info from their site; you can also find more information by doing a search for 'braggs vinegar' for additional benefits.. Just remember; your first drink of a vinegar mixture is similar to your first drink of Scotch...it'll make the face pucker :p Also vinegar is antiseptic and antibiotic...searches on the web will disclose many other benefits of ACV...
The 'Mother' (explained below) is akin to the 'needed starter' in making Sour Dough bread...

"Ingredients:
Certified Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar is unfiltered, unheated, unpasteurized and 5% acidity. Contains the amazing Mother of Vinegar which occurs naturally as strand-like enzymes of connected protein molecules.

Information:
Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar is made from delicious, healthy, organically grown apples. Processed and bottled in accordance with USDA guidelines, it is Certified Organic by Organic Certifiers and Oregon Tilth; and is Kosher Certified. Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar is full of zesty Posted Imagenatural goodness. It’s a wholesome way to add delicious flavor to salads, veggies, most foods, and even sprinkle over popcorn.
Apple Cider Vinegar has been highly regarded throughout history. In 400 B.C. the great Hippocrates, Father of Medicine, used it for its amazing health qualities.

INTERNAL BENEFITS:

EXTERNAL BENEFITS:

• Rich in enzymes & potassium
  • Naturally support a healthy immune system
  • Helps control weight
  • Promotes digestion & ph Balance
  • Helps soothe dry throats
  • Helps remove body sludge toxins "
  • Helps maintain healthy skin
  • Helps promote youthful, healthy bodies
  • Soothes irritated skin
  • Relieves muscle pain from

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:07 AM

Thanks

I drink the ACV/water mixture from 8am to 5pm....if I run out, I replenish it... equivalent to someone drinking coffee at the office all day (which I don't)...I've done some searching for different brands of ACV, but find that for the $$, Braggs is as good as you can get. I've inserted some info from their site; you can also find more information by doing a search for 'braggs vinegar' for additional benefits.. Just remember; your first drink of a vinegar mixture is similar to your first drink of Scotch...it'll make the face pucker :p Also vinegar is antiseptic and antibiotic...searches on the web will disclose many other benefits of ACV...
The 'Mother' (explained below) is akin to the 'needed starter' in making Sour Dough bread...

"Ingredients:
Certified Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar is unfiltered, unheated, unpasteurized and 5% acidity. Contains the amazing Mother of Vinegar which occurs naturally as strand-like enzymes of connected protein molecules.

Information:
Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar is made from delicious, healthy, organically grown apples. Processed and bottled in accordance with USDA guidelines, it is Certified Organic by Organic Certifiers and Oregon Tilth; and is Kosher Certified. Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar is full of zesty Posted Imagenatural goodness. It’s a wholesome way to add delicious flavor to salads, veggies, most foods, and even sprinkle over popcorn.
Apple Cider Vinegar has been highly regarded throughout history. In 400 B.C. the great Hippocrates, Father of Medicine, used it for its amazing health qualities.

INTERNAL BENEFITS:

EXTERNAL BENEFITS:

• Rich in enzymes & potassium
  • Naturally support a healthy immune system
  • Helps control weight
  • Promotes digestion & ph Balance
  • Helps soothe dry throats
  • Helps remove body sludge toxins "
  • Helps maintain healthy skin
  • Helps promote youthful, healthy bodies
  • Soothes irritated skin
  • Relieves muscle pain from

I wonder what it'd taste like with miraculin?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users