• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

SENS Scientific Conference

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Michael

• Advisor, Moderator
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 06:18 PM

All:

I can't believe this hasn't been posted ...

****** JUST TWO WEEKS TO GO BEFORE KEY DEADLINES *******

****** PLEASE FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO ANY COLLEAGUES WHO MAY BE INTERESTED *******

I am writing to remind you that the early registration and abstract submission deadlines for the conference "Understanding Aging: Biomedical and Bioengineering Approaches" are coming up on May 15th. This conference, to be held at UCLA, Los Angeles, California, USA on June 27th-29th 2008, is organised jointly by [Dr. Aubrey de Grey], [stem cell researcher] Irina Conboy of UC Berkeley, and Amy Wagers of Harvard [Stem Cell Institute]. All details, including forms for abstract submission and online registration, are at the conference website:

http://www.methusela...tion.org/UABBA/

Please note that standard registration fees are fully inclusive of three nights' accommodation and all meals. However, there is also a deeply discounted non-residential rate of just $150 for students and $300 for others. Registration is by credit card at this page:

http://www.methusela.../UABBA/tickets/

Journalists wishing to obtain press passes are asked to contact me by email (aubrey@sens.org).

The program has over two dozen confirmed speakers, all of them world leaders in their field. As for previous conferences I have [co-]organised, the emphasis of this meeting is on "applied biogerontology" -- the design and implementation of biomedical interventions that may, jointly, constitute a comprehensive panel of rejuvenation therapies, sufficient to restore middle-aged or older laboratory animals (and, in due course, humans) to a youthful degree of physiological robustness. The list of scientific sessions and confirmed speakers is as follows:

-- DNA damage, telomeres, cancer --
Adam Arkin, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory; Jan Vijg, Buck Institute for Age Research; Jerry Shay, U. Texas Southwestern; Bill Andrews, Sierra Sciences; Claudia Gravekamp, Pacific Medical Center Research Institute; Zheng Cui, Wake Forest University School of Medicine; Rita Effros, UCLA

-- The cell niche --
Irina Conboy, U. California Berkeley; Judith Campisi, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and Buck Institute; Leanne Jones, Salk Institute; Ken Muneoka, Tulane University; Kevin Healy, Stanford University

-- Accumulation of damaged molecules --
Bruce Rittmann, Arizona State University; Ana Maria Cuervo, Albert Einstein University; Christiaan Leeuwenburgh, Uniersity of Florida; Marisol Corral-Debrinski, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie; Richard Hanson, Case Western Reserve University

-- Tissue engineering and regenerative medicine --
Shoukhrat Mitalipov, Oregon National Primate Research Center; Stephen Badylak, McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine; Doris Taylor, University of Minnesota; Matthias Stelzner, VA Greater Los Angeles Health Care System & UCLA; Amy Wagers, Joslin Diabetes Center; David Schaffer, U. California Berkeley; Tony De Tomaso, Stanford University School of Medicine

In addition, there will be short talks selected from submitted abstracts, as well as poster sessions each evening. To submit an abstract for oral or poster presentation, please go here:

http://www.methusela...esenting/absub/

The provisional agenda is here:

http://www.methusela...g/UABBA/agenda/

Furthermore, registration for the conference includes preferential admission to the free public preconference "Aging: the disease, the cure, the implications" which will be held in the 1800-seater Royce Hall, UCLA, on the evening of Friday June 27th, and free admission to the dinner and reception following (which costs $30 for others). This preconference will put the postponement of aging more firmly on the political and social map than ever before. It will consist of presentations by numerous illustrious speakers, including:

William Haseltine, Haseltine Global Health, founder of Human Genome Sciences
Bruce Ames, Children's Hospital Oakland Research Institute, National Medal of Science awardee
Michael West, Biotime Inc., founder of Geron and Advanced Cell Technology
Daniel Perry, Director of the Alliance for Aging Research
Gregory Stock, UCLA Program on Medicine, Technology and Society and Signum Biosciences
Steve Burrill, Founder and Chairman, Burrill and Company
Bernard Siegel, Executive Director, Genetics Policy Institute

I hope to welcome you to Los Angeles in June!

Aubrey de Grey
Co-Chair, "Understanding Aging: Biomedical and Bioengineering Approaches"
Chairman and Chief Science Officer, Methuselah Foundation
Editor-in-Chief, Rejuvenation Research (impact factor 8.353)

#2 JonesGuy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:20 AM

Holy Crap, this is good news.
This really is an acceleration in getting these ideas mainstream.

#3 Michael

• Topic Starter
  • Advisor, Moderator
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:24 AM

All:

PS: please blog about this! In addition to the great value it'd be for prolongevists themselves, it's very important to get turnout to the event, and while there would be a certain a certain danger of merely preaching to the choir, it would also be useful to have a crowd seeded with quite a few of you, to interact with the researchers (to wake them up: many scientists doing key work really don't think about the implications of their work, either for aging, or even for biomedicine: there's a lot of "will do anything challenging for food" in biogerontology) and also the general public who are interested, but still somewhat in the grips of the "pro-aging trance."

-Michael

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 JonesGuy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:47 AM

Anybody have an idea why Clarium is willing to be such a big sponsor?

#5 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 05:33 AM

Clarium Capital is a hedge fund run by Peter Thiel. He's a serious supporter of anti-aging work. He made a huge donation to the MF.

Edited by niner, 02 May 2008 - 05:34 AM.

#6 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 06:02 AM

Clarium Capital is a hedge fund run by Peter Thiel. He's a serious supporter of anti-aging work. He made a huge donation to the MF.

Well I guess that Clars that up...

:)

#7 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 07:40 AM

Thanks Michael.

Does anyone know whether videos/slides will be published afterwards?

#8 Michael

• Topic Starter
  • Advisor, Moderator
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:53 PM

All:

Does anyone know whether videos/slides will be published afterwards?

Anticipated, but still being worked out, both logistically and in terms of presenter permissions & possible security/access limitations.

-Michael

#9 Dr Martha A Castro N MD

• 7 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:56 AM

I'm happy to tell you that I just blogged about this amazing scientific conference in my blog with a direct link to the ImnInst.org

http://livingstronga...ng-at-aclu.html

Looking forward to go.

#10 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,095 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:59 AM

Thanks for the promotion livingstrong!

#11 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:40 PM

Dear Friends,

Will there be a video of this conference somewhere? Youtube perhaps?

Thank you

#12 Mind

• 19,095 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:14 PM

I have heard that videos will be available on DVD soon after the conference. As far as being freely available on the Internet, that might take some time. You would have talk to the organizers/volunteers from the Methuselah Foundation.

#13 JMorgan

• 645 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:57 AM

The conference is definitely being recorded and I will be there to help in that process. What happens to the footage will be up to the Methuselah Foundation but I dont believe their plans have been finalized. I know it will *not* be webcast live, which was a choice to ensure people actually show up in person.

By the way, I only know of a few of us who will be attending. Anyone else?

I'll be at a hotel a few blocks from UCLA starting Tuesday 6/24 and will be staying at UCLA from 6/26 to 6/30. Perhaps we can get together?

- Joel

#14 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:17 AM

Joel, Mind.. seya soon at UCLA.

For video, plans are for Drew Reynolds, creator of http://www.accelerat...ture.com/people, to upload all videos w/in about three-four months after the conf via Google video... similar to his work for AGI-08 here: http://www.agi-08.org/conference

-B

#15 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:26 AM

If anybody is in the digg news and blog sharing web site then "digg" the ucla aging conference entries to bump them up in ranking for more visibility there.

Spread the digg concept to people to and get them to join up. Its a great way to get publicity for stuff. Mind and, Assinomov I think it was, told me about it.

#16 Mind

• 19,095 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:09 PM

I'll be at a hotel a few blocks from UCLA starting Tuesday 6/24 and will be staying at UCLA from 6/26 to 6/30. Perhaps we can get together?

Yo Mr. Morgan!

See this thread.

#17 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:41 PM

I submitted this to boingboing who have a lot of california representation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users