Photo
- - - - -

Resveratrol vs. reduced estrogen level - possibly eczema

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:07 PM

Purely anecdotal, but I think there is a possible connection between my use of hi dose resveratrol
and the development of eczema/angioedema. I think this would be a specific problem for women rather than men.
My experience follows:
I am 62. female. Prior to taking Resveratrol, I took pregnenolone orally for 8 years, on and off, between
50 to 100 mg a day. My skin was flawless and not dry at all. Great elasticity etc. When I started
taking Resveratrol in Nov, 2007, I stopped taking Pregnenolone (my big mistake AFAIC) thinking
I didn't need to and I should stop for a while anyway.
As my Res dose increased (between 2 to 4 g a day) I noticed my skin was drier. Subsequently, I posted about it
here and after a few replies, realized that resveratrol does reduce estrogen and by stopping pregnenolone I reduced my estrogen level
even further. The increased doses of Resveratrol just added insult to injury.
At the same time, under tremendous stress from personal issues, I developed a rash that finally got diagnosed as severe eczema last week. It just occurred to me, since I never had allergies or eczema before, that the resveratrol and diminished estrogen might be responsible for the eczema flourishing. I just stopped taking resveratrol yesterday when I realized this. I had been taking it all along to reduce inflammation from the eczema, but now realize that it was also probably the reason I developed eczema to begin with.

Making the situation even worse, I didn't resume pregnenolone during the two months I was dealing with the rash because the dermatologist said not to take it and I foolishly followed her direction. I am now under the care of an allergist/immunolgist who has me on a 12 day gradually reduced dose of prednisone, 180 mg of fexofenadine and topical cortisone creme. The condition of my skin is frightening as a result of two months battle with angioedema/eczema. I managed to save my face with copious amounts of La Mer moisturizer - it really does work and is worth every penny, in case you ever wondered - but my arms and legs are basically scorched. I don't even have any hair on them anymore. I am using tons of moisturizer etc, and hopefully I will recover.
I am now re-introducing pregnenolone transdermally with DMSO to try to restore my estrogen level.
I checked with a drug interaction checker, and it said there was no conflict between the two drugs or the fexofenadine.

Does anyone here know what the transdermal dose of pregnenolone is in relation to how much actually gets in the blood stream transdermally as opposed to orally? If I was taking 50 mg orally, what would that be transdermally?

When my skin is restored I would like to take resveratrol again, since I do love every other aspect of it, and it is saving my dogs life and enhancing my fathers, but I was wondering if there was some way to figure an equation for how much resveratrol to pregnenolone to keep my estrogen levels balanced. I know that's a difficult question but anyone have any idea?
I am also awaiting blood work results that should show, among other things, my pregnenolone level.

#2 wydell

• 503 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 04:02 PM

I get eczema on my fingers sometimes (since my early twenties), but usually only in the winter. Last week, I had some bouts of it in 60 degree weather and I thought that res might be connected to it. My eczema reactions have stopped for the time being though and I am still taking res. I will keep you posted if I notice anything.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 04:08 PM

Nothing definite, but resveratrol activates estrogen receptors. Eczema can be caused or exacerbated by estrogen or estrogen-like compounds; some women become allergic to their own estrogen.

Environ Toxicol Chem. 2008 Feb;27(2):442-51.Links
Interaction of stilbene compounds with human and rainbow trout estrogen receptors.Simmons DB, Trudeau VL, Marlatt VL, Moon TW, Sherry JP, Metcalfe CD.
Watershed Ecosystems Graduate Program, Trent University, Peterborough, ON, Canada.

Compounds with stilbene structures are widely used as pharmaceuticals and personal care products (PPCPs) and are present in plants. A suite of stilbene-related compounds, including PPCPs and plant-derived compounds were tested in vitro for interactions with the human and rainbow trout estrogen receptors and in vivo with rainbow trout using vitellogenin levels as a biomarker. Among the compounds with antagonistic activity, the common structural similarity was (in addition to the stilbene backbone) the presence of 4-hydroxy substitution. Stilbene-related compounds found to act as inhibitors at the estrogen receptor included the plant-derived compound resveratrol and two formulations of fluorescent whitening agents used in detergents, 4,4'-bis(2-sulfostyryl)biphenyl and diaminostilbene-1. In the yeast estrogenicity screening assay, the concentrations which caused a 50% inhibition in estrogenic response (IC50s) with the human estrogen receptor ranged from 2.56 x 10(-6) to 2.56 x 10(-6) M. In the rainbow trout estrogen receptor assay, the IC50s ranged from 7.75 x 10(-8) to 1.11 x 10(-5) M. However, in the in vivo rainbow trout vitellogenin assay, tamoxifen was the only stilbene of the compounds tested to have a significant effect as an inhibitor of estrogenicity.

PMID: 18348622 [PubMed

Shock. 2008 Feb 14 [Epub ahead of print]Links
RESVERATROL ATTENUATES HEPATIC INJURY AFTER TRAUMA-HEMORRHAGE VIA ESTROGEN RECEPTOR-RELATED PATHWAY.Yu HP, Hsu JC, Hwang TL, Yen CH, Lau YT.
*Department of Anesthesiology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, †College of Medicine, ‡Center for Healthy Aging Research, and §Department of Surgery, Chang Gung University, Taoyuan; ∥Department of Life Science, National Pingtung University of Science and Technology, Pingtung; and ¶Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Chang Gung University, Taoyuan, Taiwan.

Resveratrol administration after adverse circulatory conditions is known to be protective, however, the mechanism by which resveratrol produces the salutary effects remains unknown. Recently, it was shown that resveratrol activates estrogen receptor (ER) in endothelial cells. We hypothesized that resveratrol administration in males after trauma-hemorrhage decreases cytokine production and protects against hepatic injury through an ER-dependent pathway. To study this, male Sprague-Dawley rats were subjected to trauma-hemorrhage (mean blood pressure, 40 mmHg for 90 min) then resuscitation. A single dose of resveratrol (30 mg/kg of body weight) with or without an ER antagonist (ICI 182,780), ICI 182,780, or vehicle was administered i.v. during resuscitation. Tissue myeloperoxidase activity (a marker of neutrophil sequestration), cytokine-induced neutrophil chemoattractant 1 (CINC-1), CINC-3, intercellular adhesion molecule 1, and interleukin 6 (IL-6) levels in the liver and plasma aspartate aminotransferase and alanine aminotransferase concentrations were measured at 2 and 24 h postresuscitation (n = 6 rats per group). One-way ANOVA and Tukey test were used for statistical analysis. Results showed that trauma-hemorrhage increased hepatic myeloperoxidase activity, CINC-1, CINC-3, intercellular adhesion molecule 1, and IL-6 levels and plasma aspartate aminotransferase and alanine aminotransferase concentrations. These parameters were significantly improved in the resveratrol-treated rats at both 2 and 24 h postresuscitation. Coadministration of the ER antagonist ICI 182,780 prevented the beneficial effects of resveratrol administration on postresuscitation proinflammatory responses and hepatic injury. Thus, resveratrol administration after trauma-hemorrhage attenuated hepatic injury, likely through reduction of proinflammatory mediators. Resveratrol-mediated hepatic preservation seemed to progress via an ER-related pathway.

PMID: 18277952

Shock. 2008 Feb 14 [Epub ahead of print]Links
RESVERATROL ATTENUATES HEPATIC INJURY AFTER TRAUMA-HEMORRHAGE VIA ESTROGEN RECEPTOR-RELATED PATHWAY.Yu HP, Hsu JC, Hwang TL, Yen CH, Lau YT.
*Department of Anesthesiology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, †College of Medicine, ‡Center for Healthy Aging Research, and §Department of Surgery, Chang Gung University, Taoyuan; ∥Department of Life Science, National Pingtung University of Science and Technology, Pingtung; and ¶Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Chang Gung University, Taoyuan, Taiwan.

Resveratrol administration after adverse circulatory conditions is known to be protective, however, the mechanism by which resveratrol produces the salutary effects remains unknown. Recently, it was shown that resveratrol activates estrogen receptor (ER) in endothelial cells. We hypothesized that resveratrol administration in males after trauma-hemorrhage decreases cytokine production and protects against hepatic injury through an ER-dependent pathway. To study this, male Sprague-Dawley rats were subjected to trauma-hemorrhage (mean blood pressure, 40 mmHg for 90 min) then resuscitation. A single dose of resveratrol (30 mg/kg of body weight) with or without an ER antagonist (ICI 182,780), ICI 182,780, or vehicle was administered i.v. during resuscitation. Tissue myeloperoxidase activity (a marker of neutrophil sequestration), cytokine-induced neutrophil chemoattractant 1 (CINC-1), CINC-3, intercellular adhesion molecule 1, and interleukin 6 (IL-6) levels in the liver and plasma aspartate aminotransferase and alanine aminotransferase concentrations were measured at 2 and 24 h postresuscitation (n = 6 rats per group). One-way ANOVA and Tukey test were used for statistical analysis. Results showed that trauma-hemorrhage increased hepatic myeloperoxidase activity, CINC-1, CINC-3, intercellular adhesion molecule 1, and IL-6 levels and plasma aspartate aminotransferase and alanine aminotransferase concentrations. These parameters were significantly improved in the resveratrol-treated rats at both 2 and 24 h postresuscitation. Coadministration of the ER antagonist ICI 182,780 prevented the beneficial effects of resveratrol administration on postresuscitation proinflammatory responses and hepatic injury. Thus, resveratrol administration after trauma-hemorrhage attenuated hepatic injury, likely through reduction of proinflammatory mediators. Resveratrol-mediated hepatic preservation seemed to progress via an ER-related pathway.

PMID: 18277952

J Reprod Med. 2002 Jun;47(6):507-9.Links
Allergic contact dermatitis from transdermal estradiol and systemic contact dermatitis from oral estradiol. A case report.Corazza M, Mantovani L, Montanari A, Virgili A.
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Ferrara, Via Savonarola 9, 44100 Ferrara, Italy. czm@unife.it

BACKGROUND: About 20% of patients using transdermal estradiol complain of adverse local side effects. CASE: A 47-year-old, postmenopausal woman developed eczematous lesions at the sites of application of a estradiol therapeutic transdermal system and successively at the sites of application of a gel containing estradiol. Due to the topical intolerance, the therapy was switched to oral estrogen, which caused a systemic pruritic rash. Positive patch tests with estradiol led to the diagnosis of type IV allergic dermatitis due to transdermal estradiol and to a gel containing estradiol. Systemic contact dermatitis due to oral estradiol was also diagnosed. CONCLUSION: Even though allergic contact dermatitis from estradiol is extremely rare, local side effects from estradiol systems must be kept in mind and correctly diagnosed. Patch tests allow identification of the causative agent. In the case of primary sensitization to topical estradiol, oral estrogens must be prescribed cautiously to avoid systemic reactions.

PMID: 12092023

J Am Acad Dermatol. 1995 Jan;32(1):25-31. Links
Estrogen dermatitis.Shelley WB, Shelley ED, Talanin NY, Santoso-Pham J.
Department of Medicine, Medical College of Ohio, Toledo 43699.

BACKGROUND: Autoimmune progesterone dermatitis includes pruritus, urticaria, papulovesicular eruptions, and bullous erythema multiforme. Sensitivity to estrogen has not been described, although it was probably first recognized almost 50 years ago. OBJECTIVE: Our purpose was to assess sensitization to selected hormones in women with a significant premenstrual flare of skin lesions. METHODS: Intradermal skin tests to 18 hormones and control substances were performed in seven patients and four control subjects and read for immediate urticarial and delayed type reactions. Six other control subjects had only estrone and progesterone skin tests. The effect of the antiestrogen tamoxifen on the course of the dermatosis was studied. RESULTS: Seven women exhibiting severe premenstrual exacerbations of papulovesicular eruptions, urticaria, eczema, or generalized pruritus proved to have an unrecognized sensitivity to estrogen. Five patients had a positive delayed tuberculin-type skin test to estrogen. Two patients with generalized chronic urticaria had only an urticarial reaction to intradermal estrogens. Antiestrogen therapy with tamoxifen proved effective in all five patients, whereas elimination of oral estrogen therapy cured the other two patients. CONCLUSION: Women can become sensitized to their own estrogens; the major clue is worsening of the skin problem premenstrually. Positive intradermal skin tests to estrogens are diagnostic. Tamoxifen is a specific therapy. We have named this disorder estrogen dermatitis.

PMID: 7822514

#4 missminni

• Topic Starter
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 04:51 PM

Nothing definite, but resveratrol activates estrogen receptors. Eczema can be caused or exacerbated by estrogen or estrogen-like compounds; some women become allergic to their own estrogen.

Thanks. How interesting. I knew there was some connection but in my case I wasn't taking estrogen. Just pregnenolone and that was prior to taking Resveratrol so I don't think I had an allergic reaction to estrogen. Pregnenolone will regulate estrogen and in the past I never had eczema or dry skin so I figure my estrogen level was okay. The dry skin didn't occur until after I took resveratrol and stopped pregnenolone. I know that dry skin is eczema's battlefield, and my skin was very dry, if you recall I mentioned that a few times. Same was true of of my female friends one who was post menapausal, and one who was in her 30's.
I am thinking this might be significant in women hi-dosing Res. I recall a female poster here,
I think Illumious (? forgive me I am to lazy to look it up)mentioned that she was taking hi dose res and was also on ERT and she had no problem at all. Said her skin was fine and supple and the Res didn't affect it negatively at all. In fact, her post made
me aware that I had stopped taking pregnenolone and that combined with Resveratrol, might have been the cause of the dry skin. By the time I realized this, eczema struck and I was told not to take any supplements at all by the doctor. What a vicious cycle that was.
Any idea about the transdermal pregnenolone dose that would equal a 50 mg oral dose?

#5 missminni

• Topic Starter
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 04:57 PM

I get eczema on my fingers sometimes (since my early twenties), but usually only in the winter. Last week, I had some bouts of it in 60 degree weather and I thought that res might be connected to it. My eczema reactions have stopped for the time being though and I am still taking res. I will keep you posted if I notice anything.

okay. are you male or female? I think that eczema is triggered by stress and exacerbated by dry skin. I never
had it before, but I never had dry skin before taking resveratrol. My eczema experience was unbelievable...swelling and pain like I never
experienced before. Very frightening. The damage is extensive. I am just hoping I can get my estrogen level back with the pregnenolone.
Any advice would be welcome.

#6 rhc124

• 62 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 09:14 PM

I too have been having a rash on both hands for about the last 4 months. Its on top of the hands in the area between the thumb and index finger. First noticed it the day after gathering some fire wood. It now pops up anytime I work in the yard. Its not really bad and is hardly noticaeble but does itch. First thought is was some type of posion ivy/oak but that would not be the case since it has lasted so long and comes and goes. I have not stopped taking resv during this period so there is no way that I can link the rash to it. For years I have had some eczema on two fingernails but I have never ever had anytype of rash other than posion ivy/oak.

#7 missminni

• Topic Starter
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 09:30 PM

I too have been having a rash on both hands for about the last 4 months. Its on top of the hands in the area between the thumb and index finger. First noticed it the day after gathering some fire wood. It now pops up anytime I work in the yard. Its not really bad and is hardly noticaeble but does itch. First thought is was some type of posion ivy/oak but that would not be the case since it has lasted so long and comes and goes. I have not stopped taking resv during this period so there is no way that I can link the rash to it. For years I have had some eczema on two fingernails but I have never ever had anytype of rash other than posion ivy/oak.

It might not be due to the Resveratrol, but at this point, stopping won't necessarily make the rash go away. The rash has taken root. Does it swell or blister and weep? if not you are not very advanced and you should be able to manage it with topical cortisone cream and heavy moisturizing....vitamin E etc. Anti histamine can help too. For eczema, I think the most effective one is fexofenadine @ 180 mg which is prescription and expensive. The OTC stuff has to be taken in huge quantitites to be effective. Like ten times the recommended dosage. There is a great natural ingredient cream called Eygptian Magic that I have found most helpful. It can be found for anywhere from $25 (ebay) to $37 at the prodcuts website (go figure) but it is wonderful and I recommend it for anyone with eczema. If you are having swelling and/or weeping I suggest you go to an allergist and get it under control before it takes over. It has a way of doing that, and just when you think you are getting rid of it too. Oh, and wear gloves in the yard. Don't aggravate it. It sounds like you are allergic to something in the yard.

#8 rhc124

• 62 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 04:35 AM

It might not be due to the Resveratrol, but at this point, stopping won't necessarily make the rash go away. The rash has taken root. Does it swell or blister and weep? if not you are not very advanced and you should be able to manage it with topical cortisone cream and heavy moisturizing....vitamin E etc. Anti histamine can help too. For eczema, I think the most effective one is fexofenadine @ 180 mg which is prescription and expensive. The OTC stuff has to be taken in huge quantitites to be effective. Like ten times the recommended dosage. There is a great natural ingredient cream called Eygptian Magic that I have found most helpful. It can be found for anywhere from $25 (ebay) to $37 at the prodcuts website (go figure) but it is wonderful and I recommend it for anyone with eczema. If you are having swelling and/or weeping I suggest you go to an allergist and get it under control before it takes over. It has a way of doing that, and just when you think you are getting rid of it too. Oh, and wear gloves in the yard. Don't aggravate it. It sounds like you are allergic to something in the yard.

About four weeks after I starting getting this, one spot did swell up and weep like a posion ivy outbreak but only lasted about a couple of days. The outbreaks since have been minor but consistant anytime I work outside. As for allergies, I have them big time, but they have always been in my sinuses (mostly due to dust mites according to the two tests I have had done), even had to have another hole drilled in one for drainage. Cortisone does seem to help the hands. I am only guessing but it could be that the resveratrol is helping to kick in my already over active immune system. But that is only a wild guess. If I stopped the resv then I could tell you more but my issues are very manageable right now so I see not reason to stop.

#9 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 04:56 AM

Missminni, why do you want to go the transdermal route with pregnenolone? Wouldn't it make more sense to use it as you did before, orally? You could always experiment with it after you get the eczema under control... I have eczema on my hands, and have not really noticed a resveratrol effect. (I'm a guy.) I use moisturizer regularly, and a mid-range steroid (synalar generic) cream as needed. One thing I've found is that if I slowly taper off the steroid, I can go longer without needing it again. I foolishly worked in the yard without gloves the other day, and aggravated it. It's a pain. I hope that you get it sorted out.

#10 wydell

• 503 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 01:54 PM

okay. are you male or female? I think that eczema is triggered by stress and exacerbated by dry skin. I never
had it before, but I never had dry skin before taking resveratrol. My eczema experience was unbelievable...swelling and pain like I never
experienced before. Very frightening. The damage is extensive. I am just hoping I can get my estrogen level back with the pregnenolone.
Any advice would be welcome.

I am male. Unfortunately, I don't have any advice here.

#11 missminni

• Topic Starter
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:00 PM

About four weeks after I starting getting this, one spot did swell up and weep like a posion ivy outbreak but only lasted about a couple of days. The outbreaks since have been minor but consistant anytime I work outside. As for allergies, I have them big time, but they have always been in my sinuses (mostly due to dust mites according to the two tests I have had done), even had to have another hole drilled in one for drainage. Cortisone does seem to help the hands. I am only guessing but it could be that the resveratrol is helping to kick in my already over active immune system. But that is only a wild guess. If I stopped the resv then I could tell you more but my issues are very manageable right now so I see not reason to stop.

Yeah, that's eczema. Wear gloves. I do believe there is a cumulative effect with each exposure to
the irritant. Also, moisturize every day morning and night. I am not convinced that it is caused by the Resveratrol in your case, since
you are a man and prone to allergies. It probably would be a good idea to take supplements that have anti-histamine effect. Vit C
2000mg or more a day would help and I believe B12 at 2000mcg a day are recommended for allergy control. Also quercitin 200 mg
a day, D3 2000 mg and niacinamide (not sure of dosage on this) also help to control it. Make sure when it weeps you keep it
from getting infected. That's often a problem with eczema.

Edited by missminni, 04 May 2008 - 02:01 PM.

#12 missminni

• Topic Starter
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:29 PM

Hi Niner, I am answering within your quote:

Missminni, why do you want to go the transdermal route with pregnenolone?
Because I was trying cover all bases. Actually, I've heard it is very available that way, but after doing it that way yesterday, I found the DMSO was slightly irritating to my skin so I am eliminating that method.
Wouldn't it make more sense to use it as you did before, orally?
Yes and I am. I took about 500 mg orally yesterday and within a few hours, I had the most amazing improvement not only in my skin appearance, but my mood and frame of mind. I really think that stopping Pregnenolone when I started Resveratrol is where my problem began. The Resveratrol isn't really the culprit here, it just exacerbated the situation. After so many years of taking Pregnenolone, to stop it so suddenly was not very smart on my part. Pregnenolone is known to relieve stress and strengthen adrenals. Eczema is caused by stress and consequently weakened adrenals. I finally did the math. I am going to take 300 mg of pregnenolone a day. The 500 mg was a jump start. When I first started to use it for menopause, I had to take 180 mg to mitigate symptoms. Then I reduced it to 100 mg for maintenance.
It really is only effective in high doses and has no adverse side effects as far as anyone knows. That's after 60 plus years of study.

You could always experiment with it after you get the eczema under control...
Interestingly, and you might want to try this too, I mixed a few grams of Pregnenolone in with a couple of ounces of vitamin E oil and applied it to my skin and it was very effective. Felt soothing and visibly improved the skin quality. Much more so than the cortisone creme.
I am doing that twice a day, in addition to the cortisone creme.

I have eczema on my hands, and have not really noticed a resveratrol effect. (I'm a guy.) I use moisturizer regularly, and a mid-range steroid (synalar generic) cream as needed. One thing I've found is that if I slowly taper off the steroid, I can go longer without needing it again. I foolishly worked in the yard without gloves the other day, and aggravated it. It's a pain. I hope that you get it sorted out.
Thanks, I think I am on the other side of it now. I feel so much better today and it is actually the first day I do not have any of the tingling
sensation that often accompanies eczema. I believe the Pregnenolone made a big difference. I do have 5 more days on prednisone
in reduced dosage (I started at 60 mg a day on Monday and today I am at 30mg) and the 180 mg fexofenadine so I guess this isn't a very
scientific observation, but the difference I feel since taking Pregnenolone again is so major, I cannot help but believe it's absence from
my regimen was part of the reason I got eczema in the first place.

Edited by missminni, 04 May 2008 - 02:33 PM.

#13 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:13 PM

I'm sorry for the pedantic mode, but I would be very careful with DMSO, since it will literally soak in almost any (chemical) substance that comes in contact. In fact, I would not use it. Never.

Edited by brainbox, 04 May 2008 - 03:14 PM.

#14 missminni

• Topic Starter
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:55 PM

I'm sorry for the pedantic mode, but I would be very careful with DMSO, since it will literally soak in almost any (chemical) substance that comes in contact. In fact, I would not use it. Never.

Thanks for your concern. I always clean the area where I use it with alcohol first. I'm not going to use
it in this case since I found the DMSO irritating to my already overstressed skin.

#15 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:32 PM

Kalawalla/Heliocare may be worth a try.

Pregnenolone could be too stimulating if overdosed. Browser got insomnia from less than 100 mg.

Przegl Lek. 2005;62(11):1287-92.
[The role of neurosteroids in the central nervous system function]
[Article in Polish]
Basta-Kaim A, Leśkiewicz M, Budziszewska B, Lasoń W.
Zakład Neuroendokrynologii Doświadczalnej, Instytut Farmakologii Polskiej Akademii Nauk, Kraków.

Neurosteroids--important modulators of the central nervous system activity--have been biochemically and functionally well characterized in recent years. Inhibitory neurosteroids are positive allosteric modulators of GABAA receptors which show anxiolytic and anticonvulsant properties, whereas negative modulators of GABAA receptors facilitate memory processes and at high doses show proconvulsant activity. Allopregnanolone is the most potent inhibitory neurosteroid, and the reduced metabolites of deoxycorticosterone and androgens have similar though weaker action. Pregnenolone, dehydroepiandrosterone and their sulfate derivatives, belong to stimulating neurosteroids, that besides the inhibitory effect on GABAA receptors enhance activity of glutamatergic NMDA receptors and sigma1 receptors which leads to an increase in acetylcholine release, in consequence, strengthening cognitive processes. Neurosteroids seem to be also involved in neuronal cell regeneration, regulation of hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis activity and in the mechanism of drug dependence and depression. In contrast to well-documented beneficial effects of some neurosteroids on animal brain function, scarce clinical data do not allow to draw final conclusions about potential usefulness of these compounds in diagnosis or treatment of neurological and psychiatric disorders.

PMID: 16512622

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#16 missminni

• Topic Starter
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:06 AM

Kalawalla/Heliocare may be worth a try.

Pregnenolone could be too stimulating if overdosed. Browser got insomnia from less than 100 mg.

I've been taking Preg for many years. It was never too stimulating.
I took 500 mg yesterday and slept like a baby and felt great. I guess it responds differently to different
body chemistry.
For me it is the best thing that I ever took. I am just so sorry I quit it when I started Res.
I've stopped Res and resumed Preg. As soon as I feel back to normal and my skin is better I will attempt to
re-introduce Res while continuing pregnenolone. Hopefully that will mitigate the reduced estrogen/dry skin problem I
had with Res. Are there any other women here, aside from Luminous who is on ERT, who use Resveratrol?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users