- - - - -

The Secret To Long Life May Not Be In The Genes

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 May 2008 - 12:20 PM

I'm quite confident that how much we eat, and the quality of our food (and a bit of chance/luck) can get us to very old ages and we don't need 'super genes'. The genes that are thought to be protecting certain centenarians are genes involved in 'disease risks' which can also be effectively minimized by a CR diet. We have much control over our lifespans I think. The era of personal genome might bring worry as it's quite well known in experimental studies on animals that disease risk can be altered, even with not so good genes.

The Secret To Long Life May Not Be In The Genes

A research on the bone health of one of the oldest persons in the world, who recently died at the age of 114, reveals that there were no genetic modifications which could have contributed to this longevity. The research team, directed by Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona professor Adolfo Díez Pérez, pointed out a healthy lifestyle, a Mediterranean diet, a temperate climate and regular physical activity as the reasons for his excellent health.

Full article here:
http://www.scienceda...80505120818.htm

#2 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 12:49 PM

That person was Joan Riudavets and he died 4 years ago remaining very spry until his death of a flu.He had a typical mediterranean diet and probably a healthy lifestyle.However many of the people in his area must have lived similar lifestyles without reaching extremely old age.

#3 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 12:52 PM

They should look at people having comparabel lifestyles in the area and see if it is disproportionally many centenarians instead of looking at his brothers which also must enjoy the benefit of "super genes" if there exists any

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 01:17 PM

http://biomed.geront...t/full/62/7/794

#5 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 06:22 PM

Posted Image

Nearly 114 years old in the picture

Edited by shepard, 06 May 2008 - 11:17 PM.

#6 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 06:50 PM

Have the genes of Calment been studied?

#7 rhodan

• 76 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 10:06 PM

Nearly 114 years old in the picture

What is this album (other pictures) ???? :) :)

Edited by shepard, 06 May 2008 - 11:17 PM.

#8 Zans Mihejevs

• 45 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 10:09 PM

What is this album (other pictures) ???? ohmy.gif biggrin.gif

Part of me regrets investigating further.

#9 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 10:15 PM

i tend to agree with Matt here. i think nurture eventually will outweight nature . Genes still play a big role, but may not be as huge as we thought??

#10 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 10:21 PM

OMG,I didn't notice the other pictures when linking to the picture of Joan Riudavets. :)

Curious people,be warned

#11 rhodan

• 76 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 10:33 PM

Have the genes of Calment been studied?

Did not find anything on that. I read that she explicitly refused to leave her body to medical science.

#12 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 10:36 PM

who's the sick person creating web albums like this....

#13 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 11:17 PM

Okay, picture linked directly. Picasa link is gone.

#14 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 May 2008 - 11:24 PM

Wearing blue ties is the secret.

#15 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 11:45 PM

The most mysterious thing about calment is that noone seems to know what she died of.There are no records of her having any disease or being ill either.

#16 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 11:55 PM

The most mysterious thing about calment is that noone seems to know what she died of.There are no records of her having any disease or being ill either.

very mysterious. What does her DEATH certificate say??? Is it confidential or public info? someone dig it up please! dare i suggest tired of living? old age? "natural death" ? suicide? euthanasia?

calment 's famous quote and lament was " God has forgotten about me" I wish God eventually forgets about me (of course, i dont believe in a god though) , otherwise, that'd be cool , don't set a 120 year age limit!!! God my Heavenly Father just forget me and let me be , okay?? If U do exist and heaven is real, forget what i said, i love you and jesus christ, but i'm afraid You can see through fake things like that. If U don't exist, then it may be a bit crazy of me talking to a powerful imaginary friend, lthen it eaves to us humans to achieve immortality in this dimension of the universe.

Edited by HYP86, 07 May 2008 - 12:08 AM.

#17 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 02:37 PM

Why isn't there comparable interest in finding people in fantastic condition for their age and studying them?

For instance if we found a 30 year old with the body of a 20 year old wouldn't that be just as or even more interesting than an 120 year old?

Edited by caston, 08 May 2008 - 02:50 PM.

#18 abolitionist

• 720 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 06:37 AM

Who wants to live a relatively long life within the norms of current genetic design?

With better genes we could easily live to be 1k.

#19 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 12:29 PM

Currently the supercentenarians are the people that gives us most hope to the fact that human life extension is possible.They are not just senile elderly,the seem to age slower at every decade of their life except possible childhood and their health at 110-115 is similar to many people in the 80-85 group at nursing hopes.When the supercentenarians themselves were 80-85 they were usually EXTREMELY spry compared to other in their age group.

#20 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 03:25 PM

Currently the supercentenarians are the people that gives us most hope to the fact that human life extension is possible.They are not just senile elderly,the seem to age slower at every decade of their life except possible childhood and their health at 110-115 is similar to many people in the 80-85 group at nursing hopes.When the supercentenarians themselves were 80-85 they were usually EXTREMELY spry compared to other in their age group.

So who are the would-be supercentenarians amongst the baby boomers and generation X, Y?

#21 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 12:31 AM

So who are the would-be supercentenarians amongst the baby boomers and generation X, Y?

They may lurk among us..I don't think they have any particular appearance in early and middle age although they may appear healthy.Maybe in the CR society?Hopefully we will all get access to the right to live to supercentenarian status and beyond in a reasonable future.....

#22 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 12:35 AM

not everyone's created equal, some of us have genetic advantages but i'd like to live to 120 , or possibly 150 at least or beyond! no supercentenarians exist in my family but i do have two greatgrandparents living to 85 -88, tho also had 2 grandparents die in their 70's!

#23 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 12:45 AM

I'm a bit surprised that there are no really old people living in the world right now.When looking at the grg list only 6 have reached 113 and the rest is between 110-113.It is quite extreme to live to 122 considering that almost noone lives past 114 and the current recordholder is only 115.

#24 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 12:56 AM

I'm a bit surprised that there are no really old people living in the world right now.When looking at the grg list only 6 have reached 113 and the rest is between 110-113.It is quite extreme to live to 122 considering that almost noone lives past 114 and the current recordholder is only 115.

weren't there rumors that some mountainous areas of the world have ppl living to 150 or more. There was also a not-validated case of a Chinese guy who reportedly live to be over 200. THE PROBLEM is they're just rumors

must be someone out there who lived above 122 and got slipped through the media , Calment was only noticed b/c she said oh yeah i remember selling Vincent some colored pencils

Edited by HYP86, 11 May 2008 - 12:56 AM.

#25 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 09:39 AM

Well it turned out my biological dad was also my grandad on my mums side. I don't know if he would have become a super-centenerian or not but he died when he was hit by a motor cycle in Thailand. He regularly went there for sex tourism even though he was in his 70s.

#26 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 01:36 PM

While aging may not be in the genes per-se, the lack of longevity certainly is. We can CR, excercise, eat well, load up on supps and live a stress free life all we like. With today's therapies and medicine, it's unlikely anyone following such a regimen would see > 110, which, IMO isn't very old in regards to what is possible. Environmental changes can only slow the rate of intrinsic damage as the genes only provide a limited number of layers of damage repair pathways to mitigate declining functionality.

For instance if we found a 30 year old with the body of a 20 year old wouldn't that be just as or even more interesting than an 120 year old?

Astute observation caston. Taken further you could even evaluate organs systems, tissues and cell lineages within individuals and measure their relative health vs. age and then try to understand why they are declining at various rates. These are the types of questions we need researchers to explore to systematically bring our level of understanding aging down to the molecular level.

#27 Matt

• Topic Starter
  • 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 May 2008 - 01:55 PM

While aging may not be in the genes per-se, the lack of longevity certainly is. We can CR, excercise, eat well, load up on supps and live a stress free life all we like. With today's therapies and medicine, it's unlikely anyone following such a regimen would see > 110, which, IMO isn't very old in regards to what is possible. Environmental changes can only slow the rate of intrinsic damage as the genes only provide a limited number of layers of damage repair pathways to mitigate declining functionality.

But going back to the mice studies right, you get a long lived mouse put it on 50% CR and you get another 50% of mean and max life extension... Yet the genes are 'identical' to the mouse fed a normal ad lib diet (now usually restricted a bit and not true ad lib). But doesn't this really answer our question that how much an organism eats has a massive effect on how long it lives, and equivalent of better than even some cases than genetic interventions used to make them live longer. It's not like these studies are getting mice to live equivalent to 100 years, the restricted group of mice will mostly out live all of the ad lib group, even the longest lived ones in the group. Plus have an extension of max lifespan which is something like equivalent to 150-180 years depending on the level of restriction imposed... which isn't exactly within the natural lifespan...

I accept that humans would not likely get anywhere near the level of life extension as is demonstrated in the rodents, however I don't think it would be entirely out of the question that humans on CR, starting at age 20-30 or so could get extremely close to the current max human lifespan of about 110-120 years (Calment was an extreme out lier)... with a few occasional outliers like Calment, or do a bit better. The fact that humans do sometimes live to 110 in my opinion points out that under the right conditions a lot of people could live to that age. The right condition IS Calorie Restriction I believe. But if I didn't believe this I wouldn't have been on CR for over 3 years at age 20 would I ? All males in my family live to age 85 despite bad habits, smoking, drinking etc... would I really improve upon this now that I'm CR'd.

If genes had the biggest factor, wouldn't we see a negligible effect on rodent lifespan?

We really do need biomarkers of aging, the proposed ones aren't very good at the moment, we really need to get at the molecular level as suggested and combine a number of data to confirm age. For example, when people go on CR it seems to have a rejuvenation effect on the diastolic function of the heart by making it work like a persons heart who is 15-20 years younger, yet they only been on CR say 6 years. I think there is every indication right now that most people on CR will live a long healthy life.

Edited by Matt, 11 May 2008 - 01:59 PM.

#28 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 02:04 PM

I think it is largely genetic but there is gene/diet/environment interplay. The reponse to diet and environement for example leukotriene production is controlled by genes and there are genetic defects that can increase leukotriene numbers and thus athloscerosis.

For instance:

http://www.forbes.co...0621/152_2.html

The question is do we attempt to fix the genes or do we just clean up the garbage?

#29 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 03:07 PM

What is the major arguments that Cr wouldn't work in humans as well as in mice?

#30 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 06:49 PM

agree with shonghow, if we can radically extend mice life, we should be able to with human life. but does CR really work that work in mice? what % of its life did CR extend? made mice live, 30, 40, 50% longer?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users