Photo

The Dark Knight

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 04:15 AM

Anyone else kinda looking forward to seeing it?

#2 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 04:37 AM

Heath Ledger looks supremely evil as the Joker, which is one of the reasons I am drawn to seeing it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:26 AM

Replace 'kinda' with 'fully'. This looks like the dirty, insane joker from the 80's and not the "Clown prince of crime" a la the original Batman movie. Which is going to be awesome.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:40 AM

Replace 'kinda' with 'fully'. This looks like the dirty, insane joker from the 80's and not the "Clown prince of crime" a la the original Batman movie. Which is going to be awesome.

I cant wait!!
Favourite trailer part so far

Joker: little fight in you I like that
Batman: Then youll love me

Awesome. Totally

#5 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:57 PM

I've got a serious case of man-crush on Heath Ledger as the Joker. When I first saw the trailer, it was the same as when I saw the trailer for Revenge of the Sith. Full-on geek emerged from his dark hiding place and left me with a slack-jawed grin in the middle of the theater. This is definitely the type of Joker deserving of the Dark Knight period w/ Frank Miller.

#6 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 05:04 PM

Was the movie already finished when Heath died or did they have to use some special effects for the Joker?

#7 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 05:12 PM

Was the movie already finished when Heath died or did they have to use some special effects for the Joker?

I believe all of it was already in the can when he died. I have heard some people say that he got so deep into character for the movie that it messed him up (started having nightmares and stuff) which is why he started abusing his meds (sleeping pills and whatnot) which led to his death. It is just pure speculation, I am sure, but evidently he took the role seriously.

#8 Ben Simon

• 352 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 08:41 PM

I have heard some people say that he got so deep into character for the movie that it messed him up (started having nightmares and stuff) which is why he started abusing his meds (sleeping pills and whatnot) which led to his death.

None of that stuff is true. Heath had the time of his life playing this role. That's the sort of mythology that people like to invent after the death of a celebrity... but it has no basis in fact. In fact I heard Gary Oldman do an interview where he treated that idea with total contempt.

Very much looking forward to the film. I love the anarchic philosophy behind this kind of a joker, but I do also worry that Heath won't pull it off. I seem to be in the minority who think his talents were never more than mediocre. I'm far more excited to see Eckhart playing Dent. I think he'll do a great job with the subtleties of that character... really winning us over before things go bad.

#9 JMorgan

• 645 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:38 PM

The film was done filming, but they had more editing to do. My only hope is that whatever death scene they originally intended for the Joker isn't watered down in the editing process due to Heath's passing.

#10 Ben Simon

• 352 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:48 AM

The film was done filming, but they had more editing to do. My only hope is that whatever death scene they originally intended for the Joker isn't watered down in the editing process due to Heath's passing.

I suspect that the Joker will survive. Chris Nolan is building a real rogues gallery here, and a franchise that could literally last decades if handled correctly.

It would be a terrible shame to dispatch Batman's arch villain so soon after he has arrived on the scene.

The question then becomes, who will take on the role next? Will they symbollically hire a new actor every time, in keeping with the anarchic, nobody and everybody spirit of the character? Or will they hire a new face in a permanent capacity? ...Daniel Day Lewis? Adrien Brody?

I just don't know.

#11 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 04:36 AM

It looks too dark for me, and when I see him in make-up I remember how he was quoted as saying how the role stressed him out, and I'm sad that his little daughter will grow up and have this role as his last, and a way to 'know him'. He didn't seem to like playing it much, I'll wait to hear reviews (from people here, and rotten tomatoes :) before I'd watch it).

#12 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 05:30 AM

I'm sad that his little daughter will grow up and have this role as his last, and a way to 'know him'.

Actually, he is going to be in one more which should be out in 2009 called "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus". Evidently it is a fantasy kind of a movie, and he had completed all his filming parts for the "real" world in the movie. The rest of the parts for his character were recast for Johnny Depp, Jude Law and Colin Farrell who will be portraying physically changed transformations of Ledger's character as he travels through multiple dimensions. I have seen other movies like this where the same character is played by different actors. (2 spring immediately to mind, another Ledger movie from last year called "I'm Not There" about the many sides of Bob Dylan and a Todd Solondz movie called "Palindromes") Hopefully it will be done well, as it will be the last chance to remember him.

It actually appears to draw on some immortalist related themes if you read the description of it, so maybe it will be interesting.
http://en.wikipedia....f_Dr._Parnassus

Edited by Live Forever, 15 May 2008 - 05:32 AM.

#13 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 11:21 PM

Actually, he is going to be in one more which should be out in 2009 called "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus". Evidently it is a fantasy kind of a movie, and he had completed all his filming parts for the "real" world in the movie.

Considering the trouble Gilliam has had with actually making flicks recently, I wonder if this will ever see the screen.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users