Photo

cold hands

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 05:40 AM

Hello,

It seems that I've always had cold hands even when I was really young. It's really at the point where I don't want to touch anyone because my hands are cold. They don't go blue or anything like that and if I went to doctor about it I feel the doctor would dismiss it as nothing. Recently I have started wearing gloves because it's actually winter here and they were getting really cold.

One thing I notice is that I often sleep with my hands under my pillow. I guess this is to keep them warm but I'm wondering if this is actually cutting of circulation and causing further nerve damage.

Has anyone here succesfully treated cold hands what did you do about or what would you suggest I do?

I do a lot of walking and go the gym regularly.

thanks,

Chris

Edited by caston, 19 May 2008 - 05:41 AM.

#2 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 05:45 AM

I used to have chronically cold hands and my current regimen fixed it. Unfortunately, I can't tell you whether it was the ketogenic diet or one of the twenty things I'm taking that did the trick. I think the cold hands coincided with periods of hypoglycemia so it might have been the diet. I honestly have no idea. Among medical disorders, cold hands are probably associated most often with hypothyroidism.

Edited by FunkOdyssey, 19 May 2008 - 05:48 AM.

#3 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 07:55 AM

There is also Raynaud's syndrome

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 12:22 PM

With raynaud's the skin on the affected area turns a different color, so you would definitely know something was up. Hypothyroidism often flies below the radar. Also, I forgot anemia can cause cold hands / feet.

Edited by FunkOdyssey, 19 May 2008 - 12:24 PM.

#5 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 01:43 PM

Caston,

I've had cold hands and feet all my life, bad circulation period. I have been referred to as "ice block feet" by an individual who was forced to rub their feet with my ungodly sub-zero hooves whilst sleeping. Yeah, they were cold. My feet also went purple in the shower, weird circulation. Anyways, not trying to hijack your thread as I feel extremity circulation can be affected by a number of factors.

Are you getting enough B vitamins? Enough exercise? My coldness problems have disappeared AFAIK, greatly lessening over the past number of years, but like Funk, I don't know what to contribute it to specifically. I'm going to say healthy b vitamin intake, increasing flexibility and general exercise.

#6 affinity

• 44 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:01 PM

My wife has hellishly cold hands; just keep your hands active and a healthy diet. Wear mittens in the fall,winter, and early spring if it is still cold out. Learn Italian, they use a ton of hand gestures.
  • like x 1

#7 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:31 PM

Wouldn't it be a good idea to open a general health forum here on Imminst to discuss everything that has to do with health.

Regarding cold hands,I've noticed that lack of sleep as well as having low blood sugar are the most contributing factors causing cold hands...

#8 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 12:50 AM

I always had cold hands but never bothered much about it. I think you shouldn't make a big deal out of it, people that shake your hands or touch them will understand. I mean, everyone has had cold hands in their lives...

#9 David

• 618 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 03:10 AM

Definitely get yourself checked for hypothyroidism. I did, I am, I take the (midically prescribed) suppliment and have toasty hands and feet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users