Photo
- - - - -

NADH pro-aging?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 03:14 AM

I started supplementing with NADH and between NADH and ALCAR, my energy levels have been pretty high. I feel like I have a lot less "cognitive fatigue". So I would like to keep taking both NADH and ALCAR. For ALCAR, the solution to the enhanced free-radical production is to supplement with ALA. Although does ALA completely block the pro-aging effects of ALCAR? And are some aspects of ALCAR anti-aging while some aspects are pro-aging? I never understood that, but it seems to be regarded as an anti-aging drug. I just want to ensure that it is anti-aging in the sense that it makes one live longer as well as feel younger and more energetic. Anyway, back to the NADH. Surprisingly, there has been very little talk of NADH on these forums. However, if you go to the supplier's website where I got the NADH, they have posted many PDFs about the benefits of NADH:

http://www.enadh.com/case_show.html

Those studies cover everything from ADHD to Sleep Depreviation to CFS and Cancer. On the box, they make what sounds like some very strong claims including DNA repair and potent antioxidant. So the stuff sounds really good, but as Funk pointed out below, won't it lower the NAD+/NADH ratio which goes against the common trait of anti-aging therapies?

So is NADH safe to take or will it accelerate aging?

NADH is definitely going to be stimulating but wouldn't that reduce the NAD+/NADH ratio which would be pro-aging?

I did not read anything about NADH being pro-aging. Can you explain how having a higher NAD+/NADH ratio is anti-aging? Does this come down to creating free-radicals? If so, ALA should help fight that off and I can boost my intake of anti-oxidants such as green tea.

My understanding of this is embarassingly rudimentary. Every promising intervention in the aging process boosts the NAD+/NADH ratio, including calorie restriction, resveratrol, exercise -- if r-lipoic acid works, its for the same reason. I think it results in a reduction of ROS production by Complex I. I hope someone with a better understanding of biology will expand on this.

Humm...that seems to go against their product marketing...yeah, I know, they are trying to sell the product. The referenced some links that show it has anti-aging properties:

http://www.enadh.com/case_show.html

On the box and website, they claim:
-Improves Cellular energy and elevates mental clarity
-Cell regeneration
-DNA repair
-Boosts Immune System
-A potent antioxidant

Those all seem like pretty strong anti-aging properities -- aside from how it makes one feel. I am not going to comment on the effectiveness as I only started taking it today in combination with a few other supps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users