• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Nanotechnology could cause asbestos

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Reno

• 584 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 06:34 AM

It's ignorant to think that any technology as revolutionary as nanotechnology would be 100% childproof. What surprises me is how many reports about the health risks that could occur if someone comes in close contact with its "processing." We're not talking about the finished product. We're talking about its creation. It would be nice to see this amount of reaction when a new process is created or innovation realized.

Two studies published in the past month have shown what many corporate-backed scientists said would never happen, but what most public health authorities have dreaded: the almost invisible world of nanotechnology can cause asbestos-like disease.
Picture
Andrew Maynard holding multi-walled carbon nanotubes

Today's study, published in Nature Nanotechnolog, suggests some forms of carbon nanotubes – the very heart of most NT research - could be as harmful as asbestos if inhaled in sufficient quantities, says Andrew Maynard, chief science advisor to the Project on Emerging Nanotechnologies and a co-author of the paper.

Researchers, led by Professor Kenneth Donaldson at the University of Edinburgh, examined the potential for long and short carbon nanotubes, long and short asbestos fibers, and carbon black to cause pathological responses known to be precursors of mesothelioma, Maynard explained.

Material was injected into the abdominal cavity of mice -- a sensitive predictor of long fiber response in the lung lining.

"The results were clear," says Donaldson. "Long, thin carbon nanotubes showed the same effects as long, thin asbestos fibers."

Asbestos fibers can penetrate so deeply into the lungs that lungs' built-in clearance mechanisms for getting rid of particles is thwarted.

"This study . . .looks at a specific nanoscale material expected to have widespread commercial applications and asks specific questions about a specific health hazard," said Maynard.

The Japanese study, published last month, showed a similar link to mesothelioma.

Public health advocates are increasing their efforts to get the government to be more responsive to the potential hazards accompanying nanotechnology. On May 2, I posted a report in a coalition of consumer, health, and environmental groups demanding that the EPA use its pesticide regulation authority to stop the sale of numerous consumer products now using nano-sized versions of silver, called nano-silver.

"This is a wakeup call for nanotechnology in general and carbon nanotubes in particular," says Maynard. "As a society, we cannot afford not to exploit this incredible material, but neither can we afford to get it wrong--as we did with asbestos."

For more information on nanotechnology, I again point you to the blog of Dr. Jennifer Sass, who has been studying the health effects of NT for years.

source

Edited by bobscrachy, 25 May 2008 - 06:35 AM.

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,080 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 01:10 PM

I usually cringe at stories like this because I envision hundreds of thousands of trial lawyers swarming every courtroom in the U.S. suing everyone who ever had an idea to develop or use carbon nanotubes.

However, in today's world, even if lawyers sued U.S. companies back into the stone age, there are other countries that will keep moving the technology along.

Safety is a concern, of course, but many lawsuits in the U.S. overcompensate and become a detriment to progress.

#3 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 03:20 PM

Very silly article.
"Greatest fear", no, not greatest fear but speculated possibility which will be dealt with and fixed.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 04:36 PM

First i had to search wtf is asbestos... then i understood what the article was about :)

I think this is silly too. People get too concerned with new things and technologies, like those demanding that the scientists at the LHC do more tests before putting the thing to work. If anything we should be running even faster at developing these new technologies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users