Photo
- - - - -

Alpha Lipoic Acid

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 greeneyed

• 8 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 03:34 PM

Alpha lipoic acid, I've heard much about it, used it myself. Ffirst couple days it was a total energy kick which either wore down, or leveled out with my reduced sugar intake, probably the latter cause if I eat sugar anymore I'm very energetic yet burn it all off instantly more or less, not the point. wondering if anyone knows if it is good to prevent glycosylation, or crosslinking of protiens, and if it actually is both fat and water soluble. thanks

#2 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 01:03 AM

When using alpha lipoic acid remember that the 'R' enatiomer is the one which research suggests is biologically active. Most health food store formulations include both the 'S' and 'R' enationmers in a 50/50 split.. so you are really paying for half of what your body actually uses. It's even been suggested that the "S" enationmer might affect the benefical aspects of the "R". I recommend finding a good source of the "R".

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 shpongled

• 176 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 09:41 AM

Alpha lipoic acid, ive heard much about it, used it myself.  first couple days it was a total energy kick which either wore down, or leveled out with my reduced sugar intake, probably the latter cause if i eat sugar anymore im very energetic yet burn it all off instantly more or less, not the point.  wondering if anyone knows if it is good to prevent glycosylation, or crosslinking of protiens, and if it actually is both fat and water soluble. thanks

Dihydrolipoic acid, a metabolite, is fat soluble.

Here's an article I wrote on ALA a while ago, with references: http://www.bulknutri...ngredients_id=2

#4 shpongled

• 176 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 09:44 AM

When using alpha lipoic acid remember that the 'R' enatiomer is the one which research suggests is biologically active.  Most health food store formulations include both the 'S' and 'R' enationmers in a 50/50 split.. so you are really paying for half of what your body actually uses.  It's even been suggested that the "S" enationmer might affect the benefical aspects of the "R".  I recommend finding a good source of the "R".

I disagree... the S isomer is biologically active as well, just not as much so. When you consider the price difference, getting ALA is more than twice as cheap as R-ALA so you still save money that way. The only reason to prefer the R isomer alone I think is if you have diabetes or are at high risk of diabetes, but if using it as an antioxidant I would go with regular ALA. Also pure R-ALA is harder to find and degrades more easily

#5 ex_banana_eater

• Guest, F@H
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 06:35 AM

I disagree... the S isomer is biologically active as well, just not as much so. When you consider the price difference, getting ALA is more than twice as cheap as R-ALA so you still save money that way. The only reason to prefer the R isomer alone I think is if you have diabetes or are at high risk of diabetes, but if using it as an antioxidant I would go with regular ALA. Also pure R-ALA is harder to find and degrades more easily

Check out Layne's article references, IIRC there was a study that showed both the S and R isomers had exactly equal antioxidant effects on rats (or mice, whichever). As far as purely antioxidant purposes go I wouldn't worry about the isomers. Then again there is a study with increased mortality in rats fed only the S Isomer I believe. Whether this is related to the lessened risk of preventing diabetes I do not know, nor do I think all avenues were examined in the literature. You've probably encountered both of those studies preparing for your article.

#6 pSimonKey

• 158 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 07:49 AM

I've read somewhere about ALA decreasing biotin, has anyone any info about this?

#7 shpongled

• 176 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 07:54 AM

I've read somewhere about ALA decreasing biotin, has anyone any info about this?

Yeah there is a chance of competitive inhibition. Then again biotin deficiency in those without a specific condition is pretty much unheard of. 1 mg biotin is recommended per 100 mg ALA.

#8 shpongled

• 176 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 07:57 AM

Check out Layne's article references, IIRC there was a study that showed both the S and R isomers had exactly equal antioxidant effects on rats (or mice, whichever). As far as purely antioxidant purposes go I wouldn't worry about the isomers. Then again there is a study with increased mortality in rats fed only the S Isomer I believe. Whether this is related to the lessened risk of preventing diabetes I do not know, nor do I think all avenues were examined in the literature. You've probably encountered both of those studies preparing for your article.

I don't recall coming across that, although I did the research quite some time ago. A possible explanation would be, if they gave rats high amounts of S-ALA, maybe it displaced the naturally occuring R isomer leading to some sort of negative effect. I don't know how sound this theory is. Either way I doubt this effect is of any consequence at supplemental doses of racemic ALA.

#9 pSimonKey

• 158 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 08:07 AM

What about ALA saturation? What is the dose per lb? Any idea shpongled?

#10 shpongled

• 176 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 08:35 AM

What about ALA saturation? What is the dose per lb? Any idea shpongled?

Well as far as "saturation" you can take craploads of the stuff I'm sure; the primary metabolite is fat soluble. As to the question of what is optimal, it depends on how well you can tolerate the two primary side effects (at least, in the experience of myself and others I know) - hypoglycemia and a sulfur body odor. If you are diabetic, 500-2000 mg may be a good dose. If you are normoglycemic, more in the range of 300-1000 mg.

#11 pSimonKey

• 158 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 02:09 PM

Cheers for that shpongled. I am not a diabetic and I am normoglycemic. I take 500mg per day in 100mg divided dosses withthe rest of my anti-Os.

#12 AORsupport

• 84 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 09:56 PM

Kevin wrote:
When using alpha lipoic acid remember that the 'R' enatiomer is the one which research suggests is biologically active. Most health food store formulations include both the 'S' and 'R' enationmers in a 50/50 split.. so you are really paying for half of what your body actually uses. It's even been suggested that the "S" enationmer might affect the benefical aspects of the "R". I recommend finding a good source of the "R".

shpongled replied:
I disagree... the S isomer is biologically active as well, just not as much so. When you consider the price difference, getting ALA is more than twice as cheap as R-ALA so you still save money that way. The only reason to prefer the R isomer alone I think is if you have diabetes or are at high risk of diabetes, but if using it as an antioxidant I would go with regular ALA. Also pure R-ALA is harder to find and degrades more easily.

The S isomer is biologically active in the sense that a xenobiotic drug is biologically active -- ie, it has effects on the organism. However, only the R(+) enantiomer is physiologically active. It is the orthomolecular form -- the form for which the body's DNA is coded and for which the body is designed to work.

The effects of the different forms of "lipoic acid" have varying antioxidant potency, depending on the exact nature of the free radical challenge (some examples are discussed beginning here: http://www.r-lipoic....nt_Activity.htm ). But after all, even cyanide has antioxidant activity :) . From the perspective of the radical life extensionist, the key issues are mitochondrial function and insulin signaling, both of which are emerging as key factors in the effects of caloric restriction and in genetically-modified model organisms. For these effects, it is clear that the orthomolecular R(+)-form is superior, and that in fact the S(-) enantiomer found in common (racemic) "alpha-lipoic acid" supplements is actively counterproductive. See:

http://www.r-lipoic....tochondrion.htm

http://www.r-lipoic...._metabolism.htm

Therefore, while conventional "alpha lipoic acid" supplements may be satisfactory in persons who already have a shortened life expectancy (for instance, in diabetics, for whom the benefits in symptomatic neuropathy may themselves be preferrable to most of the alternatives), healthy life extensionists wishing to gain maximum benefit should choose R(+)-lipoic acid over the racemic compound.

ex_banana_eater wrote:

Then again there is a study with increased mortality in rats fed only the S Isomer I believe. Whether this is related to the lessened risk of preventing diabetes I do not know, nor do I think all avenues were examined in the literature. You've probably encountered both of those studies preparing for your article.

shpongled replied:
I don't recall coming across that, although I did the research quite some time ago. A possible explanation would be, if they gave rats high amounts of S-ALA, maybe it displaced the naturally occuring R isomer leading to some sort of negative effect. I don't know how sound this theory is. Either way I doubt this effect is of any consequence at supplemental doses of racemic ALA.

I think that the study to which the Musa apostate refers is:

Freisleben HJ, Neeb A, Lehr F, Ackermann H. Influence of selegiline or lipoic acid on the life expectancy of immunosuppressed mice. Arzneimittelforschung. 1997 Jun;47(6):776-80

This study is discussed here (note the graph):

http://www.r-lipoic....xir_of_life.htm

The effects of the racemic, R(+), and S(-) forms of lipoic acid on 50% survival were similar. But whereas R(+)-lipoic acid extended maximum lifespan, there was no statistically significant effect of the racemate (common "alpha lipoic acid") or of the S(-)-enantiomer on this parameter. I think that Ex Banana Eater was thinking of the apparent reduction in maximum lifespan induced by the racemate. And the dosages were

The problem was not the dosage, as the researchers fed the animals supplements at a concentration which, in a human, would only be about 630 mg - not at all out of line with what human users are taking. However, because this result was observed in a very short-lived strain of mouse, it cannot be considered definitive. More recently, Weindruch et al have reported no effect of racemic lipoic acid on survival in a longevous strain:

Lee CK, Pugh TD, Klopp RG, Edwards J, Allison DB, Weindruch R, Prolla TA. The impact of alpha-lipoic acid, coenzyme Q(10) and caloric restriction on life span and gene expression patterns in mice. Free Radic Biol Med. 2004 Apr 15;36(8):1043-57.

"[Racemic] LA ... had no impact on longevity or tumor patterns compared with control mice fed the same number of calories, whereas CR increased maximum life span by 13% (p <.0001) and reduced tumor incidence. ... [Racemic] LA ... inhibited age-related alterations in the expression of genes involved in the extracellular matrix, cellular structure, and protein turnover. However, unlike CR, [Racemic] LA ... did not prevent age-related transcriptional alterations associated with energy metabolism. [Racemic] LA supplementation lowered the expression of genes encoding major histocompatibility complex components and of genes involved in protein turnover and folding."

It is worth noting that all of the exciting studies of Drs Tory Hagen and Bruce Ames, showing mitochondrial rejuvenation and reversal of age-related cognitive and cardiovascular deficits, resulted from the use of R(+)-lipoic acid. For their reasons for preferring R(+)-lipoic acid over the readily-available racemate, see the "Discussion" in their first FASEB Journal report on this subject, available for free in full text here:

http://www.fasebj.or...t/full/13/2/411

"The ®-form of lipoic acid used in this study is the naturally occurring enantiomer in mammalian cells (24) . Only the ®-form is used by mitochondrial -keto acid dehydrogenases and specifically reduced to dihydrolipoic acid, a powerful antioxidant, via mitochondrial lipoamide dehydrogenase. There is evidence that ®-lipoic acid supplementation may be more potent than either the racemic mixture (the form sold commercially as alpha-lipoic acid) or (S)-enantiomer, and thus a more relevant supplement for this study. Addition of ®-lipoic acid increases ATP synthesis and aortic blood flow during reoxygenation after hypoxia in a working heart model (25) . The (S)-enantiomer had no effect on ATP synthesis and improved blood flow at only 10-fold the effective dose of ®-lipoic acid. Packer and colleagues (26) also showed that ®-lipoic acid significantly reduced buthionine-S,R-sulfoximine-induced cataract formation, but (S)-lipoic acid had little effect at the same concentration. ®-Lipoic acid increased glucose uptake and the number of glucose transporters in muscle tissue much more effectively than (S)-lipoic acid (27) . The ®-enantiomer more effectively chelated copper and prevented copper-induced lipid peroxidation (28) ."

See also some of their later reports:

"Memory loss in old rats is associated with brain mitochondrial decay and RNA/DNA oxidation: Partial reversal by feeding acetyl-L-carnitine and/or R-alpha-lipoic acid"
http://www.pnas.org/.../full/99/4/2356

"Age-associated mitochondrial oxidative decay: Improvement of carnitine acetyltransferase substrate-binding affinity and activity in brain by feeding old rats acetyl-L- carnitine and/or R-alpha-lipoic acid"
http://www.pnas.org/.../full/99/4/1876

"Feeding acetyl-L-carnitine and [R-alpha]-lipoic acid to old rats significantly improves metabolic function while decreasing oxidative stress."
http://www.pnas.org/.../full/99/4/1870

It's unfortunate that many companies use these studies, for which Hagen and Ames very consciously chose the orthomolecular R(+)-enantiomer, to promote the use of racemic "lipoic acid" supplements.

Here are some comments by other prominent lipoic acid research scientists:

"We're finding - and others are, too - that the R(+)-form - the natural form - is much more powerful than the racemic mixture ... Hopefully ... companies are going to be producing on more of a clinical scale the R(+)-form of lipoic acid, because we're finding very significant effects using this, as opposed to the racemic mixture."
Dr. Tory Hagen, in Mitochondrial Decay in Aging.

"We have presented in this study new information indicating that this enhancement of glucose metabolism is sterospecific, with the R(+)-enantiomer being much more effective than the S(-)- enantiomer."
Dr. Ryan Streeper and colleagues, in The American Journal of Physiology.

"Lipoic acid sold in a health food store is a synthetic mixture, a racemic mixture. And R[+]- is the natural form and S[-]- is an unnatural one ... And in our hands R[+]- works and S[-]- doesn't."
Dr. Bruce Ames, in Strategies for Engineered Negligible Senescence.

"R[+]-LA [that is, R(+)-lipoic acid], and not a racemic mixture of R[+]-and S[-]- LA, should be considered a choice for therapeutic applications."
Dr. Lester Packer and colleagues, in Free Radical Biology and Medicine.

"The S[-]-enantiomer … part of the racemate, which is present as about a 50% impurity, needs to be eliminated."
Dr. Guido Zimmer and colleagues, in Methods in Enzymoogy.

AOR was proud to be the first supplement company in the world to make R(+)-lipoic acid available as a pharmaceutical-gradde dietary supplement (as opposed to as a research chemical), for the use of the life extension community.

To your health!

AOR

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#13 shpongled

• 176 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 03:17 AM

I just posted on the other thread discussing ALA without reading this one. I'll respond more to your points within a few days but I've been procrastinating on the forums way too long for today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users