Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Best form of supplemental magnesium?

• Please log in to reply
302 replies to this topic

#91 Cappa

• 66 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 06:45 AM

I'm taking "Jamieson" cal/mag. I found it at the pharmacy and decided to buy it because I remember reading that getting it in a wide variety of forms is best for absorption. One tablet contains:

Elemental Calcium 333 mg (from a microbound formula of carbonate and Krebs cycle sources of citrate, fumarate, malate, succinate and glutamate).
Elemental Magnesium 167 mg (from oxide and Krebs cycle sources of citrate, fumarate, malate, succinate and glutamate).

It doesn't break down how much comes from each source, though.. I might switch if I can't get this info. Any thoughts?

#92 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 06:55 AM

I've switched to magnesium chloride. It's simple and ionic.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#93 VespeneGas

• 600 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 07:10 PM

I'm taking "Jamieson" cal/mag. I found it at the pharmacy and decided to buy it because I remember reading that getting it in a wide variety of forms is best for absorption. One tablet contains:

Elemental Calcium 333 mg (from a microbound formula of carbonate and Krebs cycle sources of citrate, fumarate, malate, succinate and glutamate).
Elemental Magnesium 167 mg (from oxide and Krebs cycle sources of citrate, fumarate, malate, succinate and glutamate).

It doesn't break down how much comes from each source, though.. I might switch if I can't get this info. Any thoughts?

It's almost certainly 95% MgO, since they don't break down the quantities, use fancy biochem terminology to woo you, and the oxide is much cheaper. I'd switch to taurate, malate, glycinate, chloride, or aspartate if I were you.

#94 cougar

• 114 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:41 PM

I run a mild Mg deficiency and I used to work at a supplement store so I've tried lots of different Mg supplements. The one that produced the most notable difference was malate. The difference I noticed was much more energy and a better mood. I noticed no significant diarrhea on glycinate and malate but did on oxide and especially citrate.

Agreed, I got the most relaxation feeling from Magnesium Malate.

I was taking the Source Naturals brand but now I'm taking the Bluebonnet Nutrition brand of magnesium glycinate (Albion).

How do you compare this form of magnesium to others in regards to causing diarrhea/loose bowel movement?

#95 cougar

• 114 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:58 PM

I use bulk Magnesium Orotate from here , (I'm in the UK) it doesn't seem too expensive. But I cannot vouch for the quality, subjectively I sleep a lot better with it. I've tried AOR's Cardio-Mag-2.0 and subjectively felt less of an effect.

Similar to Yoyo, I have used high does of Natural Calm (Mag Citrate) before and never experienced a laxative effect.

Hi quarter,
I couldn't find the magnesium ororate from the site you posted, I got magnesium citrate instead.
I'm taking Magnesium Ororate from AOR, 4 capsule a day giving me 200mg elemental magnesium, however, I feel almost nothing from it either. I bought it from cureself by the way. I'm a little wondering wether this source is reliable because I'm not feeling much response on AOR B complex from this source as well. I'll try the same thing from Relentless Improvement which is also much cheaper than Cureself.

Edited by cougar, 02 January 2010 - 10:00 PM.

#96 cougar

• 114 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:02 PM

Another type of magnesium is good, if you can find it. It's magnesium taurate, a combination of the amino acid taurine and magnesium. It stabilizes cell membranes and calms the nervous system. According to The Magnesium Miracle, page 245, "Magnesium taurate does not have a laxative effect and is the recommended form of magnesium for people with heart problems."

In The Magnesium Miracle, Dr. Dean notes on page 245 that, "In a series of studies published since the early 1970s, it appears that the amino acid taurine is important for heart health and may prevent arrythmias and protect the heart against the damaged caused by hear attacks."

Meat

Hi Meat,

I'm so excited by the claim "Magnesium taurate does not have a laxative effect" that I immediately ordered this book from amazon. May I ask about which brand of magnesium taurate you are using and from where you bought it? Thanks

#97 VespeneGas

• 600 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 12:22 AM

I'm so excited by the claim "Magnesium taurate does not have a laxative effect" that I immediately ordered this book from amazon. May I ask about which brand of magnesium taurate you are using and from where you bought it? Thanks

Hate to be a buzzkill, but magnesium taurate (cardiovascular research brand) has a stool softening effect like citrate (at least for me).

#98 cougar

• 114 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:49 AM

Hate to be a buzzkill, but magnesium taurate (cardiovascular research brand) has a stool softening effect like citrate (at least for me).

A little disappointed on hearing that. Thanks.

#99 zorba990

• 1,602 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:26 AM

A little disappointed on hearing that. Thanks.

I've tried many magnesium forms and only stuck with Magnesium Lactate.
For me, it not so much taking the one that is most absorbed, rather taking
one that is non irritating (meaning what is NOT absorbed is not irritating).

#100 Peregrine777

• 18 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:59 AM

The only Magnesium I've found with the least stool-softening properties is Ionic Fizz Magnesium, perhaps because most of it is absorbed in the gut, instead of making it to the colon where the osmotic effects occur.

#101 svidri2

• 3 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:17 PM

Thanks everyone for a helpful thread. I was browsing the various supplement forms and have a couple of questions concerning magnesium aspartate...

In their product description under "Research" AOR write: "The real thing assays at 7.5% elemental magnesium and 22.5% potassium by mass (or about 19 and 55 milligrams per 250 mg of the respective chelate ingredients)." (1) They also claim some manufacturers mix forms to reduce serving size.

iHerb carry a Now product called "Magnesium & Potassium Aspartate with Taurine" where the 300 mg of magnesium is described as being "from aspartate". (2) In this case the serving size is only two medium-ish capsules. What's the deal here? Is it really a mix of magnesium forms or is there a way of getting a "high" dosage in this size?

(1) http://www.aor.ca/ht...ucts.php?id=154
(2) http://www.iherb.com...psules/701?at=0

#102 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:18 PM

Now Foods just released a new magnesium product in softgel form

Magnesium (from Magnesium Citrate, Magnesium Glycinate and Magnesium Malate)

http://www.iherb.com...gels/22552?at=0

Edited by pycnogenol, 13 January 2010 - 04:19 PM.

#103 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:22 PM

Thanks for the heads up, that looks kinda awesome.

#104 Apchi

• 34 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:35 PM

I've been using Now Foods, Magnesium Ascorbate
It comes in a powder form
http://www.iherb.com...-227-g/676?at=0

Just add some to a tea pitcher whenever I make one.
Supposed to have synergism effect as the vit C ascorbate protects the active elements in tea.

http://inhumanexperi...-catechins.html
"The addition of ascorbic acid significantly increased the stability of all four derivatives, particularly EGC and EGCG. The present results, although not directly transferable to in vivo conditions, may suggest that the presence of ascorbic acid may stabilize the GTCs in the intestine where the pH is neutral or alkaline before absorption."

The Mg is buffered and you get it throughout the day as you go through the pitcher

#105 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:15 PM

Now Foods just released a new magnesium product in softgel form

Magnesium (from Magnesium Citrate, Magnesium Glycinate and Magnesium Malate)

http://www.iherb.com...gels/22552?at=0

Is there any advantage to it being in a softgel form as far as bioavailability? I wasn't aware fats made a difference as far as absorbing magnesium. Interesting product though for those interested in a mix of forms, assuming it isn't almost all citrate with tiny amounts of glycinate/malate. But just wondering why a softgel (easier on stomachs, absorbed better)?

#106 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:21 PM

Interesting product though for those interested in a mix of forms, assuming it isn't almost all citrate with tiny amounts of glycinate/malate.

I emailed them about the percentage breakdown and this is the 'response" I got back.

"The product is listed in order of dominance and is mostly the citrate form. The actual percentages are proprietary."

Thank you for your inquiry,
NOW Science & Nutrition Group

"...mostly the citrate form..."

I will NOT be buying this product. I do not buy any "proprietary" supplements.

Edited by pycnogenol, 14 January 2010 - 12:02 AM.

#107 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:46 PM

I'm sticking to Bluebonnet Nutrition brand of Magnesium Glycinate.

http://www.iherb.com...Caps/21160?at=0

#108 pmcglothin

• 111 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:13 AM

Good discussion!

I have discussed the best form of magnesium supplements with our doctors who help us manage our CR Way lifestyle. They approach it quite methodically. First take a 24/hr urine collection to measure among other things, oxalate levels ( great nutrient-dense foods like nuts and many green veggies are high in oxalates), which lead to kidney stone formation. The oxalates may also be involved in plaque formation. MG Citrate keeps these in solution, helping the dangerous molecules be expelled in urine. Given that magnesium citrate is well absorbed and has this extra benefit. it is an excellent choice.

Wishing all extraordinary health,

Paul McGlothin

#109 adamh

• 1,035 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:11 PM

I was taking some mag but only about 600 or 700mg of mag glycinate. I didn't notice a lot of effect. When I upped it to a couple grams per day I got excellent effects. I noticed a calming effect and I slept better. I don't know if I got to sleep any faster but I definitely slept better. I wake up refreshed in the morning. I haven't felt like that in years.

The mag glycinate tasted so nasty I went with tabs of mag citrate which seems to work fine. I take 4 tabs a day. The bottle says each tab has 224mg of mag. I started taking so much because someone said it helped his neuropathy taking large doses and I've heard nothing about bad effects from too much except diarrhoea from large doses. I only got that when I went to about 4gm per day.

#110 J_o_L

• 25 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:32 PM

I'm sticking to Bluebonnet Nutrition brand of Magnesium Glycinate.

http://www.iherb.com...Caps/21160?at=0

Me too.

#111 nfkb

• 10 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:34 AM

Hi everybody !

this talk is quite interesting and it shows that nearly anybody knows what's the best way to supplement with magnesium... maybe because we do not know how to measure in routine magnesium deficit... like potassium it's a major intracellular cation making it hard to measure the total body magnesium...

nobody has discussed about magnesium glycerophosphate... i've only found it in pills manufactured by a french lab (http://www.synergias...2-d-stress.html) but i do not find a lot of information about it. A french doctor called JP Curtay who has probably received grants from synergia...is very emphatic with glycerophosphate magnesium...

do you have more information ?

nfkb

#112 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:35 PM

I think I'll switch to magnesium taurate after my bottle of citrate is finished. Just started two weeks ago, and it's been causing loose stool for about half that time. Only one person on the board that I've found has mentioned any GI trouble with the taurate; is it better in this regard for the vast majority?

#113 KimberCT

• 472 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:52 PM

I think I'll switch to magnesium taurate after my bottle of citrate is finished. Just started two weeks ago, and it's been causing loose stool for about half that time. Only one person on the board that I've found has mentioned any GI trouble with the taurate; is it better in this regard for the vast majority?

Citrate always gave me that problem too... never had any problems with taurate, orotate, glycinate, or malate.

Edited by KimberCT, 28 January 2010 - 08:52 PM.

#114 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:22 PM

malate seems to be a bit better than citrate for the same dose of elemental magnesium.

#115 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:25 PM

Nutrient Carriers (i.e., Hans Nieper) has a product called Magnesium 2-AEP. Anyone tried this Mag product?

Here is the product:

http://www.iherb.com...Caps/18065?at=0

Just tried this product. It's pretty good. There's definitely more to this. Is there really 500 mg elemental Mg per capsule?

#116 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:49 PM

2-AEP (2-aminoethylphosphate) is an "active mineral transporter." Couldn't find much info on pubmed, but there are lots of Hans Nieper fansites around.

2-AEP is a substance which plays a role as a component in the cell membrane and at the same time has the property to form a complex with minerals. This mineral transporter goes into the outer layer of the outer cell membrane where it releases its associated mineral and is itself metabolized with the structure of the cell membrane. The effect here is an increase of the electrical condenser function of cell membranes to resist toxins and viruses which may otherwise enter the cell and cause cellular degeneration. Calcium 2-AEP is especially effective for repairing cell membrane damage. In Germany, calcium, potassium and magnesium 2-AEP are officially declared as the only active substances for the treatment of multiple sclerosis.

In 1939-41, the world-famous biochemist, Erwin Chargaff reported on 2-aminoethyl phosphoric acid (2-AEP), the primary component in Longevity®. He identified it as an important component in the structure of the cell membrane. In accordance with the cell membrane model of the Swiss scientist Buchi in 1952, Longevity® is integrated into the cell membrane in a way that it is localized on the outside of the external cell membrane. Longevity® mainly integrates at the entrance spots into the free lipid pore sites. From the studies done by Dr. Pressman, New York, we know today that Longevity® is also part of the neurotransmitters, which are substances necessary for conducting an electrical charge to and within biological structures, such as the myelin sheath membrane. Therefore, not only is the 2-AEP primary ingredient in Longevity® a bio-chemical component of all cell membranes, it also has the ability to form a complex with minerals and transport them to the cell wall.

The 2-AEP found in Longevity® functions as an electrolyte carrier. It also transports minerals such as calcium, magnesium and potassium into the cells where it may be metabolized. Longevity® introduced into the blood stream produces a specific calcium, magnesium and potassium hydrolysis of the lipid AEP peptide complex since AEP exists only at the intracellular level, and is directed from the blood stream toward the membrane and intracellular space.

In what way did this compound impress you? It sounds like it could be a fairly effective counterion, but I'd like to see some more science to back up some of these theoretical claims.

Edited by chrono, 04 June 2010 - 10:50 PM.

#117 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:15 PM

Sorry I wasn't more expressive. It has a bit of a stimulant effect. That was with just one pill. I went ahead and took another one and the effect multiplied. It could all be placebo, ofcourse but I felt like it helped me focus more than it relaxed my body, as other forms do. Definitely 1 pill at a time is enough.

#118 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:22 PM

Interesting. Maybe it can get into the brain better, as we've been discussing in the threonate thread? Just a wild guess on my part, obviously.

I'll be curious to hear your observations once you've had some more time with it.

#119 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:43 PM

I think it does penetrate the CNS better. I read a study about a compound called SB-73. I was invented by a group of guys in Brazil if I remember right.

SB-73 is a mixture of magnesium, phosphate, fatty acids extracted from Aspergillus sp. which has anti-herpes virus properties.

PMID: 18410585

I found the full study and it showed to be very effective agaisnt herpes type I and II. I would say, even quite possibly a cure. To get to the virus, this compound had to penetrate the CNS. Adding a phophate group to magneium seems to allow for better penetration. If SB-73 can do this, maybe Mg-AEP can do the same.

Regression of herpes viral infection symptoms using melatonin and SB-73: comparison with Acyclovir.
Nunes Oda S, Pereira Rde S.

Universidade Federal de São Carlos, Departamento de Fisioterapia, Dr. Nivaldo's laboratory, Rod. Washington Luís, São Carlos, SP, Brazil.

Abstract
Infection with Herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) typically causes lesions of the mouth, face, skin, esophagus, or brain. Herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2) usually causes infections of the genitals, rectum, skin, hands, or meninges. The herpes viruses are a major cause of blindness from keratitis. The usual drugs used for herpes are Vidarabine, Acyclovir, Penciclovir and Ganciclovir; they are associated with several complications. The aim of this study was to investigate if a formulation containing 2.5 mg melatonin and 100 mg SB-73 would help patients with herpes, and to compare the preparation with 200 mg Acyclovir. SB-73 is a mixture of magnesium, phosphate, fatty acids extracted from Aspergillus sp. which has anti-herpes virus properties. A single blind randomized study was performed in which 70 patients underwent treatment using the supplement cited above (group A) and 75 received treatment of 200 mg Acyclovir (group B). Sixty-seven patients of the group A (95.7%) reported a complete regression of symptoms after 7 days of treatment. By comparison, 64 subjects (85.3%) of the Acyclovir reported regression of symptoms in the same period. There was statiscally significant difference between the groups (P < 0.05).

PMID: 18410585 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Edited by Lufega, 04 June 2010 - 11:45 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#120 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:01 AM

Chrono, this is interesting. From one of your quotes, it said:

The effect here is an increase of the electrical condenser function of cell membranes to resist toxins and viruses which may otherwise enter the cell and cause cellular degeneration.

I have the full study of the SB-73 compound and it says:

Experiments performed in vitro demonstrated that magnesium ions and PO4– are responsible for the induction and maintenance of cell resistance to HSV-1 infection [28].

I think this last statement lends support to the first.

28 references this study: Varadinova TL, Zlateva KT, Dyulgerova EI.
Cell response to herpes simplex virus type 1 infection mediated by
biphasic calcium-phosphate ceramics: in vitro approach.
J Biomed Mater Res 2001; 57:232–7.

Edited by Lufega, 05 June 2010 - 12:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users