• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Buddhism without the re-incarnation - the best religion?

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 gashinshotan

• 443 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:37 PM

I've been studying Buddhism and have found it to be the most analytical and practical religion. The only problem is the widespread belief held by many Buddhist sects of reincarnation, which is an unprovable theory. The dalai lama has claimed to reject all Buddhist doctrine that has been disproven by science yet he continues to cling to this concept in defiance of Buddha's own words:

"‘There is rebirth of character,
but no transmigration of self.
Thy thought-forms reappear,
But there is no egoentity transferred.
The stanza uttered by a teacher
is reborn in the scholar who repeats the words."

"But if there is no other world and there is no fruit and ripening of actions well done or ill,
then here and now in this life I shall be free from hostility, affliction, and anxiety, and I shall live happily."

Other than this concept, which was probably established to feed the need of the lower masses for an afterlife, Buddhist philosophy an doctrine is highly scientific and applicable. It teaches effective strategies in self-control and in obtaining relatively clear knowledge free from emotion. However, I do feel that the majority of Buddhist monks and the dalai lama himself are wasting these teachings on selfish pursuits of enlightenment and nirvana, despite their claims otherwise. These people waste entire life times meditating on nothing, claiming to be seeking truth when in actuality many are ignorant of even the most basic scienes. They act only in self-interest, seeking pleasure through ignoring the horrors of this world and doing nothing to relieve the physical suffering of the masses who are incapable of learning and practicing the strategies of Buddhism without widespread, powerful institutions as found in Christianity and Islam.

Any other criticisms of Buddhism as a scientific religion?

#2 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:08 PM

I've been studying Buddhism and have found it to be the most analytical and practical religion.

Agreed. "Buddhism minus reincarnation" is my favored version of spirituality.

#3 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:48 PM

I love the principles and practices of Buddhism (like meditation), they are very useful in real life.

#4 spaceistheplace

• 397 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:51 PM

They act only in self-interest, seeking pleasure through ignoring the horrors of this world and doing nothing to relieve the physical suffering of the masses

Then you must never meditate, or meditate incorrectly. When done properly, it is not an escape from the horrors of the world. Quite the contrary, it's a place where one does battle with the horrors of the world.

Buddhism is more than just a game one can take up like tennis. It is a culture, climate, diet, a genetic heritage. To the majority of those who practice it, it's not even a choice but a way of life. To separate one of its largest tenets and still call it buddhism is like presenting white rice as a whole food.

#5 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:07 PM

They act only in self-interest, seeking pleasure through ignoring the horrors of this world and doing nothing to relieve the physical suffering of the masses

Then you must never meditate, or meditate incorrectly. When done properly, it is not an escape from the horrors of the world. Quite the contrary, it's a place where one does battle with the horrors of the world.

Buddhism is more than just a game one can take up like tennis. It is a culture, climate, diet, a genetic heritage. To the majority of those who practice it, it's not even a choice but a way of life. To separate one of its largest tenets and still call it buddhism is like presenting white rice as a whole food.

QFT, spot on.

#6 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:25 PM

Taking the religious aspects of Buddhism out, it actually makes a very nice way of life or philosophy.

#7 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:28 PM

They act only in self-interest, seeking pleasure through ignoring the horrors of this world.

Aren't we all, more or less, like that? :)

#8 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:44 PM

Alright, then we'll call it something else. How about Buddhism-lite? All of the wisdom, 60% less mysticism?

#9 gashinshotan

• Topic Starter
  • 443 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:27 PM

Meditating is not my idea of battling the world's evils - what can be more selfish than chanting and seeking nirvana for an entire life time? The Buddha also teaches that meditation is subjective - you can only achieve enlightenment for yourself not others. These monks should be establishing strong institutions through which they can spread the benefits of Buddhism to the rest of the world. Sure there are some small organizations, but these pale in comparison to the efforts of Christianity and Islam.

#10 gashinshotan

• Topic Starter
  • 443 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:31 PM

They act only in self-interest, seeking pleasure through ignoring the horrors of this world.

Aren't we all, more or less, like that? :)

We are except that these monks are even more selfish than us. At least we are affecting the world physically in pursuit of our material interests while they stay hidden away seeking personal enlightenment. Sure they've done a few protests - for their own benefit, while Bill Gates and other capitalists have helped more people through achieving their material self-interests than all these so-called "lamas" combined, and in all probability all monks throughout known history combined.
  • dislike x 1

#11 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:43 AM

Bill Gates is better than the Buddha. For that matter, he's better than Jesus, and cough (Mohammad) cough...

edit: made more blasphemous

Edited by niner, 29 May 2008 - 06:47 AM.

#12 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:26 AM

it's all just a subjective experiance. Buddhism isn't anything actually. The school of buddhism is founded on one person's perception of what they believed to be the truth. The buddha never stated that what he saw was the absolute truth he only shared his experiance of the truth. Buddhism or the dharma is just a set of tools that one can use in an attempt to experiance the truth.

#13 abolitionist

• 720 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:39 AM

meditation is useful, but besides that Buddhism is a great hinderance - it teaches acceptance of bioluddite policy and distracts from the only true hope of addressing the human condition successfully : biotechnology

-----

you can find rare buddhists who are not bioluddites - but they do not accept buddhist doctrine

Importantly : does Buddhism work? Of course not - they say you have to die before you can reach nirvana...

Every Buddhist master I've met suffers just like the rest of us regardless of how 'comtemplative' they appear

#14 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:07 AM

meditation is useful

How have you measured this?

but besides that Buddhism is a great hinderance - it teaches acceptance of bioluddite policy and distracts from the only true hope of addressing the human condition successfully : biotechnology

This of course is just your view of the situation. Just like it is your view that meditation is useful.

you can find rare buddhists who are not bioluddites - but they do not accept buddhist doctrine

Importantly : does Buddhism work? Of course not - they say you have to die before you can reach nirvana...

Every Buddhist master I've met suffers just like the rest of us regardless of how 'comtemplative' they appear

You appear to making generalised comments based on your experiance, which is fine, but you also appear to making these comments as if they are facts.

A few years back I gave away my belief in buddhism. At about the same time I gave away my belief in most/all things. I didn't give these things away because they didn't work out or because I found them to be false. I gave up belief because I came to the realisation that belief, like everything, changes. Belief is empty and hence not worth pursuing for me. I don't believe in anything, especially what other people believe to be true. This has been quite a headf**k for me and it will continue to be a headf**k for years to come. However, this experiance is a very liberating experience.

#15 gashinshotan

• Topic Starter
  • 443 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:36 PM

How have you measured this?

yep - some people go crazy with meditation.

This of course is just your view of the situation. Just like it is your view that meditation is useful.

You appear to making generalised comments based on your experiance, which is fine, but you also appear to making these comments as if they are facts.

A few years back I gave away my belief in buddhism. At about the same time I gave away my belief in most/all things. I didn't give these things away because they didn't work out or because I found them to be false. I gave up belief because I came to the realisation that belief, like everything, changes. Belief is empty and hence not worth pursuing for me. I don't believe in anything, especially what other people believe to be true. This has been quite a headf**k for me and it will continue to be a headf**k for years to come. However, this experiance is a very liberating experience.

So then your a zen buddhist....

#16 John_Ventureville

• 279 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 03:14 PM

I recommend to everyone the incredibly cool science fiction masterpiece "Lord of Light" by Roger Zelazny. It is set in a world where a sort of Transhumanist Buddhism upsets the natural (and very wrong) order of things. One of my very favorite novels and you must not die until you have read it (the book is that good)!

Michael LaTorra of the Extropians-list (also a WTA leader) is studying to be a Buddhist priest. I have been very impressed by some of his postings over the years.

John Grigg

#17 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:50 PM

you're funny

#18 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:13 AM

meditation is useful, but besides that Buddhism is a great hinderance - it teaches acceptance of bioluddite policy and distracts from the only true hope of addressing the human condition successfully : biotechnology

This sounds like religious doctrine.

-----

What? Care to explain further? Many buddhists I've met (from various schools) are open to the idea of biotechnology and have taken an interesting in transhumanism in general. 'A buddhist who does not accept buddhist doctrine'...are you from the church of biotechnology or what?

#19 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 01:05 AM

there are way to many materialistic spiritual people in this world.

#20 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 01:42 AM

Zoolander, since you had a Buddhist shrine with a leaf from the tree underneath which the Buddha became enlightened, I thought you would be more accepting of it than other religions. I guess that is what I get from assuming. :)

#21 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 01:44 AM

I still have that shrine. I still have that bodhi leaf and I still meditate. However, these things do not define me anymore. In the past they did.

Edited by zoolander, 30 May 2008 - 01:45 AM.

#22 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:15 AM

there are way to many materialistic spiritual people in this world.

you say that like its a bad thing.

#23 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 05:09 AM

I wouldn't say that it's a good or bad thing in general. However from a personal standpoint I try not define myself but a set of values or acts. My main personal issue is that I care to much about people and the world that I live. I generally don't like what I see most of the time. That's an arrogant mindset because it's all about me. So if anything's bad Mike, it's my inability to just be.

Edited by zoolander, 30 May 2008 - 05:12 AM.

#24 dr_chaos

• 143 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:17 AM

My main personal issue is that I care to much about people and the world that I live. I generally don't like what I see most of the time. That's an arrogant mindset because it's all about me.

That's not arrogant. The world is bad and full of suffering. If you start liking it the way it is you are a sadist.

"'There is rebirth of character,

Philosophically speaking ideas are never lost. Like truth is never lost. So that is nothing which is unscientific. Furthermore the opinion, that your subjective point of view is conserved even after death, but without the information the mind puts in( without "you") is impossible to prove or disprove by science at this time. After all the mind and the body are not identical. Its like chocolate and its taste.

#25 Mixter

• 788 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 10:40 AM

There is rebirth of character,

It's great that the Dalai Lama sees it like this, because this is not unscientific, depending on how you interpret it.

I would interpret this as: "the ego which people cling on to will be lost, but the character, patterns of thought
or memes will live on." I.e. even if your personal memes are not directly adopted by people by contact or your
writings, surely other people will adopt some the same memes, each some of them, as result of being exposed to
the same culture, and the same things you read. From an Information theory POV, this idea is not out of thin air.

So, interpreting this quote, most of your character/memes will continue to exist, but not in a single individual and
your self will be lost. This is not unscientific at all. The question is whether this is meaningful or desirable, to fully
lose your self. For us it is not.

Philosophically speaking ideas are never lost. Like truth is never lost. So that is nothing which is unscientific. Furthermore the opinion, that your subjective point of view is conserved even after death, but without the information the mind puts in( without "you") is impossible to prove or disprove by science at this time. After all the mind and the body are not identical. Its like chocolate and its taste.

Just saw this quote after starting to write my answer. Kinda proves the point :)

IMO the only problematic "dogma" of buddhism, well, at least something which I find many teachers implicitly take
for granted, is that Nirvana as full loss-of-self is good. I only have a problem with the missing separation, which
many buddhists seem to accept, of the core ego / sense of self from the "collection of social memes,
social roleplay, common prejudices, politics, and other beliefs"
that is also a part of ego and determines how
you see yourself (and others).

These have to be separated. Letting go of all the latter, to the maximum extend after which you can still function
in society and grow (and earn money;), is great. Letting go of the first, the core of self, what you really are, not
what you think you are/how you are defined by society, is bad, and is the single thing that immortalists ultimately
should strive to preserve. It's what it's all about.

So Buddhism is not egalitarianism or full selflessness or per se. As zoolander expressed, it's what you subjectively
make of it and becomes a helpful tool in exactly in those ways. But it comes dangerously close to it, so that too
many people probably confuse it with buddishm. And accepting true egalitarianism, i.e. anti-ego philosophy is destructive
(if ego is worthless, why not kill yourself right away, other than the loss for society, etc?).

Letting go of those preconceptions (and temporarily of the sense of the true self, i.e. "ego death", which IMO does not
include letting go of the actual self even for an instant, just of your views of your self), is very cleansing and can be
achieved through a long meditational retreat (or heavy psychedelics if one is in a hurry and wants to risk psychosis :~),
even a part of ego death, i.e. retreating on a sabbatical and spending a lot of time with your thoughts and not much
else, can help. This can solve a lot of emotional (but not objective) things. Doing that (not full ego death) helped me to
be much less afraid of death, for example. But still, it is and always will be the very last thing I want, of course.

Contrary, the tibetans and the Dalai Lama do stand for an enlightened, very scientific buddhism. The Dalai Lama's
connection with Gelugpa is very visible, which is a tradition that stands for constant learning in retreat and searching
for wisdom, including science (much like the christians and arabs advanced science in their golden eras). He is
not against cryonics or uploading per se, and states that he can imagine being "reborn" into a computer as consistent
with tibetan buddhist ideas: http://www.transhuma...p/WTA/faq21/83/

Now we'd just have to convince him to take up life extension, given his age and somewhat declining health... I often thought
about that. If only some multivitamin/omega's and perhaps astaxanthin for eyesight. Well I hope he already gets some of it.
If this single individual could be around for much longer, it would certainly direct buddhism into a very beneficial, pro-transhumanist
direction... and also he seems like a very nice guy personally who definitely deserves to be around for much longer :)

PS: Regarding the "materialistic spirituality" (=essentially just consuming spirituality as I understand it), this is also true.
It's like doing life extension and waiting for the singularity without personal engagement/accomplishments: pretty boring.

But if one's goal is to accomplish something concrete, like a scientific project, and not just be there and help others,
'consuming' more spiritualism/well-being, as a purpose for making your life and materialistic work more efficient, still
seems helpful. Helping people directly can be much harder than science or another career, because you might have to
fight people a lot (their self-harmful preconceptions and behavior) in order to 'help' them. It starts with offering life extension
and health concepts to people you know and having them rejected. Tremendously frustrating, especially if you're doing
it for sick/old friends or relatives. I really like Objectivism here, which is not at all incompatible. Just help people by offering
them something (life extension or insight into a better life strategy), and have them take it or leave it. The objectivism
part is that everyone is fully responsible for his/herself, and noone else. So personally, I help people by briefly offering
them a hand and have them take it or leave it. Which often is not much, but better than nothing, and better than too much
forced/futile effort. This does require being disconnected in many ways, and being focused on self (or not focused on anything)...

Edited by mixter, 30 May 2008 - 11:00 AM.

#26 gashinshotan

• Topic Starter
  • 443 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 02:47 PM

you're funny

you obviously believe in words.... what kind of zen buddhist are you?

#27 gashinshotan

• Topic Starter
  • 443 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 02:49 PM

I still have that shrine. I still have that bodhi leaf and I still meditate. However, these things do not define me anymore. In the past they did.

I thought Buddhism was all about losing the ego! Why did you view it as a definition of yourself when it should have been annihilation instead?

#28 gashinshotan

• Topic Starter
  • 443 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 02:51 PM

I wouldn't say that it's a good or bad thing in general. However from a personal standpoint I try not define myself but a set of values or acts. My main personal issue is that I care to much about people and the world that I live. I generally don't like what I see most of the time. That's an arrogant mindset because it's all about me. So if anything's bad Mike, it's my inability to just be.

What your describing is what Buddhism addresses isn't it? Accepting reality and realizing that emotional attachment causes anger and pain.

#29 gashinshotan

• Topic Starter
  • 443 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:15 PM

It's great that the Dalai Lama sees it like this, because this is not unscientific, depending on how you interpret it.

The dalai lama doesn't see it like this. That was from the Buddha gospel.

I would interpret this as: "the ego which people cling on to will be lost, but the character, patterns of thought
or memes will live on." I.e. even if your personal memes are not directly adopted by people by contact or your
writings, surely other people will adopt some the same memes, each some of them, as result of being exposed to
the same culture, and the same things you read. From an Information theory POV, this idea is not out of thin air.

So, interpreting this quote, most of your character/memes will continue to exist, but not in a single individual and
your self will be lost. This is not unscientific at all. The question is whether this is meaningful or desirable, to fully
lose your self. For us it is not.

Death defines most people so it makes sense to reject our sense of ego in pursuit of life extension.

Just saw this quote after starting to write my answer. Kinda proves the point :)

IMO the only problematic "dogma" of buddhism, well, at least something which I find many teachers implicitly take
for granted, is that Nirvana as full loss-of-self is good. I only have a problem with the missing separation, which
many buddhists seem to accept, of the core ego / sense of self from the "collection of social memes,
social roleplay, common prejudices, politics, and other beliefs"
that is also a part of ego and determines how
you see yourself (and others).

These have to be separated. Letting go of all the latter, to the maximum extend after which you can still function
in society and grow (and earn money;), is great. Letting go of the first, the core of self, what you really are, not
what you think you are/how you are defined by society, is bad, and is the single thing that immortalists ultimately
should strive to preserve. It's what it's all about.

The point of rejecting the ego is to eliminate the only source of pain - you can't feel angry or sad if you do not have a self to care bout. All ego is bad and can never be separated from outside influence - how can you define an ego without an external reference? If you've ever meditated you'll discover that you really have no control over your thoughts and the point of rejecting the self is to realize that these thoughts do not define you and are only the source of all suffering.

So Buddhism is not egalitarianism or full selflessness or per se. As zoolander expressed, it's what you subjectively
make of it and becomes a helpful tool in exactly in those ways. But it comes dangerously close to it, so that too
many people probably confuse it with buddishm. And accepting true egalitarianism, i.e. anti-ego philosophy is destructive
(if ego is worthless, why not kill yourself right away, other than the loss for society, etc?).

Buddhism is totally selfish in my opinion.

Letting go of those preconceptions (and temporarily of the sense of the true self, i.e. "ego death", which IMO does not
include letting go of the actual self even for an instant, just of your views of your self), is very cleansing and can be
achieved through a long meditational retreat (or heavy psychedelics if one is in a hurry and wants to risk psychosis :~),
even a part of ego death, i.e. retreating on a sabbatical and spending a lot of time with your thoughts and not much
else, can help. This can solve a lot of emotional (but not objective) things. Doing that (not full ego death) helped me to
be much less afraid of death, for example. But still, it is and always will be the very last thing I want, of course.

Letting go of ego eliminates all your problems though. The point of doing so is to realize your consciousness as it is and the uncontrollable influence of the mind on your emotions and actions.

Contrary, the tibetans and the Dalai Lama do stand for an enlightened, very scientific buddhism. The Dalai Lama's
connection with Gelugpa is very visible, which is a tradition that stands for constant learning in retreat and searching
for wisdom, including science (much like the christians and arabs advanced science in their golden eras). He is
not against cryonics or uploading per se, and states that he can imagine being "reborn" into a computer as consistent
with tibetan buddhist ideas: http://www.transhuma...p/WTA/faq21/83/

He still wont reject reincarnation, which is the main sticking point for many of Buddhism's critics.

Now we'd just have to convince him to take up life extension, given his age and somewhat declining health... I often thought
about that. If only some multivitamin/omega's and perhaps astaxanthin for eyesight. Well I hope he already gets some of it.
If this single individual could be around for much longer, it would certainly direct buddhism into a very beneficial, pro-transhumanist
direction... and also he seems like a very nice guy personally who definitely deserves to be around for much longer :)

He believes in reincarnation while Buddha taught to avoid attachment to any reality.

PS: Regarding the "materialistic spirituality" (=essentially just consuming spirituality as I understand it), this is also true.
It's like doing life extension and waiting for the singularity without personal engagement/accomplishments: pretty boring.

But if one's goal is to accomplish something concrete, like a scientific project, and not just be there and help others,
'consuming' more spiritualism/well-being, as a purpose for making your life and materialistic work more efficient, still
seems helpful. Helping people directly can be much harder than science or another career, because you might have to
fight people a lot (their self-harmful preconceptions and behavior) in order to 'help' them. It starts with offering life extension
and health concepts to people you know and having them rejected. Tremendously frustrating, especially if you're doing
it for sick/old friends or relatives. I really like Objectivism here, which is not at all incompatible. Just help people by offering
them something (life extension or insight into a better life strategy), and have them take it or leave it. The objectivism
part is that everyone is fully responsible for his/herself, and noone else. So personally, I help people by briefly offering
them a hand and have them take it or leave it. Which often is not much, but better than nothing, and better than too much
forced/futile effort. This does require being disconnected in many ways, and being focused on self (or not focused on anything)...

Fighting people to help them has proven to be the most effective method throughout history. Without the brutal force of the Catholic church, much of the world would still be dominated by lawless barbarian societies - the same can be applied to the American civil rights movements and the Communist revolutions which did help much more people than mere ideas alone.

#30 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 05:50 PM

Fighting people to help them has proven to be the most effective method throughout history.

Yes but we have to be careful to not take this ideal to the extreme and create absolutist governments that use force to repress the population.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users