Photo
- - - - -

Resveratrol and body weight loss

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Gianluca

• 1 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:02 AM

Which of you experienced weight loss assuming resveratrol ?

Could you please give further data to understand ?

- resveratrol daily dosage

- period of assumption

- body weight loss in kg

- other interesting parameters using resveratrol and realizing weight loss

thanks for your partecipation

#2 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:08 AM

Which of you experienced weight loss assuming resveratrol ?

- resveratrol daily dosage

- period of assumption

- body weight loss in kg

- other interesting parameters using resveratrol and realizing weight loss

I think it does help reduce appetite, but my weight stabilized about where it usually sits, likely mostly out of habit.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 marcopolo

• 128 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 05:12 AM

I think that most of the people here are very health conscious to begin with, therefore I would imagine most are not overweight, hence they don't experience much excess weight loss since they don't have that much excess weight to begin with. That is one study we haven't seen-how does it do combating obesity, or assist in weight loss? I am a layman, and am throughly confused by all the contradictory information here posted about resveratrol, but I would think that if it churned out fresh mitochondria ( I think I read that somewhere) that would raise your metabolism, making it easier to lose weight. Possible?

Edited by marcopolo, 08 June 2008 - 05:13 AM.

#4 hmm

• 143 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 03:14 PM

I think that most of the people here are very health conscious to begin with, therefore I would imagine most are not overweight, hence they don't experience much excess weight loss since they don't have that much excess weight to begin with. That is one study we haven't seen-how does it do combating obesity, or assist in weight loss? I am a layman, and am throughly confused by all the contradictory information here posted about resveratrol, but I would think that if it churned out fresh mitochondria ( I think I read that somewhere) that would raise your metabolism, making it easier to lose weight. Possible?

#5 hmm

• 143 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 03:36 PM

I never got the weight loss thing. Around the time I started taking 400 mg per day (Now brand 200 mg veggie caps, 50% RSV, one in the morning and one at night), I gained 10 pounds almost right away. 3 months later still haven't gotten rid of it.
At the same time as I started with the RSV, I resumed daily swimming which I had stopped because the heater for the pool I use had broken. The water was 56-60 degrees, and I associated the weight gain with my body adapting to the water rather than something the RSVwas doiie. As a matter of fact, I even associated my lack of soreness after other sports endeavors to the cold-water swimming, because I had never taken a supplement before that conferred immediate benefits such as RSV. It wasn't until the pool heater got fixed a few weeks later that I realized my pain and soreness releif were due to RSV.
I still lean toward the idea that the pool temperature led to the weight gain, because I think that is a fairly common phenomenon (the body fat helps shield the body's core temperature).

#6 marcopolo

• 128 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 05:14 AM

I never got the weight loss thing. Around the time I started taking 400 mg per day (Now brand 200 mg veggie caps, 50% RSV, one in the morning and one at night), I gained 10 pounds almost right away. 3 months later still haven't gotten rid of it.
At the same time as I started with the RSV, I resumed daily swimming which I had stopped because the heater for the pool I use had broken. The water was 56-60 degrees, and I associated the weight gain with my body adapting to the water rather than something the RSVwas doiie. As a matter of fact, I even associated my lack of soreness after other sports endeavors to the cold-water swimming, because I had never taken a supplement before that conferred immediate benefits such as RSV. It wasn't until the pool heater got fixed a few weeks later that I realized my pain and soreness releif were due to RSV.
I still lean toward the idea that the pool temperature led to the weight gain, because I think that is a fairly common phenomenon (the body fat helps shield the body's core temperature).

Not many replies here. I guess the consensus then is that I will not be able to get washboard abs by taking Resveratrol, bummer. Last fall when I was taking it I seemed to get better results for the same amount of effort, but it is difficult to attribute that to resveratrol, to pinpoint if that was the reason it was easier to lose body fat and gain lean muscle mass.

#7 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:09 PM

I have, at times, noted to myself my decreased appetite, presumably due to resveratrol; however, a lot goes into diet, eating, weight change- more than just appetite. For me, a large component is psychological and social.

#8 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:40 PM

Just a question,Is the potential reduced appetite due to resveratrol a purpose or a side effect?

#9 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 01:57 AM

Just a question,Is the potential reduced appetite due to resveratrol a purpose or a side effect?

Huh?

#10 wootwoot

• 112 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:05 AM

400mg t-res for 3 weeks, no weight gain or loss

also it did not cure my athletes foot, or tie my shoes

#11 marcopolo

• 128 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 11:07 PM

Here is an interesting article I found today about this-

Red wine's resveratrol may help battle obesity

Correct me if I am wrong as I am not an expert, but it seems that from what I read that Resveratrol may also have some similarities to a high intensity interval training workout, which can cause someone to lose gobs of fat and increase endurance.

Personally, I have been only taking 300mg caplet of 98% a day, on and off. Last fall when I was cutting(losing weight through diet and exercise), I did seem to lost fat at a slightly higher rate while on it, but I cannot be sure because there are so many variable and I didn't really monitor things that closely to see how much difference it was making. I know this isn't directly related to life span, but finding safe ways to stay within a healthy weight as you age I think are also important. Excess body fat can have life shortening consequences such as diabetes and heart disease as everyone I am sure knows. Not to mention being fat makes you appear older as well. I want to maintain a healthy weight as I get older but now that I am well into my thirties I am finding it increasingly difficult to stay in a healthy weight range, much less have a sixpack like I did in my 20's.

Edited by marcopolo, 28 July 2008 - 11:54 PM.

#12 JoL

• 16 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:38 PM

I have gained a lot of belly fat since taking 300 mg tRes 98 %. I hope this is a coincidence.

#13 SusanK

• 22 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:29 PM

My mental state is much, much better. (granted this is only after a few days)
This morning I noticed that I have decreased circles under the eyes.
Yesterday DD took her first dose and she was extremely productive. More than usual.
My appetite seems to be in control as well.

#14 SearchHorizon

• 167 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:20 PM

There is evidence that resveratrol causes a subject's body to preferentially metabolize fat over carbohydrate. This is consistent with observations that, under starvation conditions, one's body tends to burn fat and spare lean body mass (starvation -> activation of sirtuins).

Basically, resveratrol should make one leaner and less fat, though body weight may not change. The body weight will be function of how much food one eats, so, weight loss may or may not happen with resveratrol. This may depend on the extent of appetite suppressive effect.

Edited by SearchHorizon, 12 August 2008 - 05:22 PM.

#15 JayMass

• 17 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:00 PM

Just thought I would chime in on this thread.

I have been taking 1500mg of 98% Resveratrol for ~3 weeks. I have noticed no change in weight, body fat, or appetite supression. I did not begin taking it for any of those effects but they sure would be nice.

#16 SearchHorizon

• 167 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:24 PM

Just thought I would chime in on this thread.

I have been taking 1500mg of 98% Resveratrol for ~3 weeks. I have noticed no change in weight, body fat, or appetite supression. I did not begin taking it for any of those effects but they sure would be nice.

I have been comparing the effects of exercise/dieting, without and with resveratrol for about 4 weeks, and resveratrol seemed to make a difference. Based on my experience, I believe the lipolytic effect (rather than catabolic effect) of resveratrol becomes pronounced as you (1) increase the amount of exercise (cardio + lifting), and (2) decrease caloric intake.

------------

SIRT promotes fat mobilization in white adipocytes by repressing PPAR-gamma.
Department of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA.

Calorie restriction extends lifespan in organisms ranging from yeast to mammals. In yeast, the SIR2 gene mediates the life-extending effects of calorie restriction. Here we show that the mammalian SIR2 orthologue, Sirt1 (sirtuin 1), activates a critical component of calorie restriction in mammals; that is, fat mobilization in white adipocytes. Upon food withdrawal Sirt1 protein binds to and represses genes controlled by the fat regulator PPAR-gamma (peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma), including genes mediating fat storage. Sirt1 represses PPAR-gamma by docking with its cofactors NCoR (nuclear receptor co-repressor) and SMRT (silencing mediator of retinoid and thyroid hormone receptors). Mobilization of fatty acids from white adipocytes upon fasting is compromised in Sirt1+/- mice. Repression of PPAR-gamma by Sirt1 is also evident in 3T3-L1 adipocytes, where overexpression of Sirt1 attenuates adipogenesis, and RNA interference of Sirt1 enhances it. In differentiated fat cells, upregulation of Sirt1 triggers lipolysis and loss of fat. As a reduction in fat is sufficient to extend murine lifespan, our results provide a possible molecular pathway connecting calorie restriction to life extension in mammals.

PMID: 15175761 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

---------------------
STIMULATION of muscle cell glucose uptake by resveratrol through sirtuins and AMPK

Faculty of Applied Health Sciences, Brock University, St. Catharines, Ont., Canada L2S 3A1.

Although recent studies in vitro and in vivo indicate that the polyphenol resveratrol (RSV) has anti-diabetic properties, the exact mechanisms involved are not known. In the present study, we examined the effects of RSV and the mechanism of regulation of glucose uptake in skeletal muscle cells. In L6 myotubes RSV (100 microM) induced maximum stimulation of glucose (2DG) uptake (201+/-8.90% of control, p<0.001), an effect that was similar to insulin action. RSV-stimulated glucose uptake was abolished by AMPK inhibition. In the presence of the sirtuin inhibitor nicotinamide, RSV-stimulated 2DG uptake and AMPK phosphorylation were abolished. RSV did not stimulate significant translocation of GLUT4 or GLUT1 transporters. However, treatment with indinavir, a GLUT4 specific inhibitor, blocked RSV-stimulated glucose uptake. We propose that RSV elevates glucose uptake in muscle cells through a mechanism that involves sirtuins and AMPK and possibly stimulation of GLUT4 transporter intrinsic activity.

PMID: 18601907 [PubMed - in process]

#17 SusanK

• 22 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 04:22 PM

Yesterday I noticed that I didn't have a lot of interest in eating. It's early but seems to be heading that same way today. Mood is continued to me up. Libido is improved. Scale is down 2 lbs from yesterday, which knocks me off a plateau that I have been on for a long time. Energy is about the same, but I seem to have more endurance, but sleepy earlier in the evening. Eye circles continuing to look good. Just noticed crows feet much softened, but I spent nearly a week in New Orleans, and it may be from the high humidity. I will continue to watch that. Pants were looser today. I feel my stomach growl at times, but not a great interest always in eating. This is weird. I tend to LOVE to eat, even when I am not hungry, so this is different for me.

That's it for today.

#18 SearchHorizon

• 167 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 05:03 PM

Libido is improved.

Hmmm ... my libido took a nose dive.

But I was using 50% res ...

#19 Guest_chucklesmcgee_*

• Lurker

Posted 14 August 2008 - 01:14 AM

Eh, there's some scant preliminary in-vitro evidence that resveratrol could maybe have some effect on lipid cells, but I'm not aware of any human or animal studies actually showing a significant decrease in weight or body fat. As much as resveratrol has going for it, fat loss doesn't seem to be one of them.

#20 SearchHorizon

• 167 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 03:45 AM

Eh, there's some scant preliminary in-vitro evidence that resveratrol could maybe have some effect on lipid cells, but I'm not aware of any human or animal studies actually showing a significant decrease in weight or body fat. As much as resveratrol has going for it, fat loss doesn't seem to be one of them.

On the contrary. If you look at human studies on starvation, preservation of lean body mass at the expense of fat cells is one of stress responses. It is likely that activation of SIRT1 will promote fat loss. This is consistent with observed changes in plasma glucose levels in diabetic mice administered with RESV. Of course, mice != humans, but we do know that mice and humans share some pathways.

The fact that there is no human study on this subject is far from showing that resv doesn't promote fat loss, for obvious reasons.

Edited by SearchHorizon, 14 August 2008 - 03:45 AM.

#21 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:03 AM

Which of you experienced weight loss assuming resveratrol ? = my wife and I lost weight

- resveratrol daily dosage = right now, about 3 grams per day

- period of assumption = increasing our daily dose over approx 3.5 years

- body weight loss in kg = i lost 30 pounds or 14 kg

- other interesting parameters using resveratrol and realizing weight loss = my wife can do 10 mile walks

#22 JayMass

• 17 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 03:09 PM

I have been comparing the effects of exercise/dieting, without and with resveratrol for about 4 weeks, and resveratrol seemed to make a difference. Based on my experience, I believe the lipolytic effect (rather than catabolic effect) of resveratrol becomes pronounced as you (1) increase the amount of exercise (cardio + lifting), and (2) decrease caloric intake.

We will see what happens with continued use. I am currently work out on cardio at least 5 times a week and lift 6 times a week. I don't really need to lose any weight but targeted fat loss would be nice. Since muscle weighs more than fat I am more concerned with how clothes fit and how the body looks vs. what the scale says.

#23 SearchHorizon

• 167 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 06:28 PM

We will see what happens with continued use. I am currently work out on cardio at least 5 times a week and lift 6 times a week. I don't really need to lose any weight but targeted fat loss would be nice. Since muscle weighs more than fat I am more concerned with how clothes fit and how the body looks vs. what the scale says.

Out of cursioity, are you keeping track of your caloric intake, and approximate number of calories you burn?

Without keeping tabs on these numbers to some extent, it may not be easy to see the effect of resveratrol on body fat levels ...

Edited by SearchHorizon, 15 August 2008 - 06:29 PM.

#24 marcopolo

• 128 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:08 PM

What I have been thinking how Resveratrol would help with weight loss in theory is not appetite reduction or a stress response, I was thinking that if it produced more mitochondria that would help keep body fat down and more lean muscle mass as a person ages. It is just theoretical, but isn't one of the reasons people gain fat as they age because of a lower resting metabolism associated with a reduction in mitochondria? Or is this incorrect? If it is correct then middle aged and older people would notice fat loss but probably not as much for younger people. This is what I mean by age related weight gain-

Article

It would seem to me that if Resveratrol did what is claimed to mitochondria this would have an effect on metabolic weight gain as you get older.

#25 SearchHorizon

• 167 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:32 PM

What I have been thinking how Resveratrol would help with weight loss in theory is not appetite reduction or a stress response, I was thinking that if it produced more mitochondria that would help keep body fat down and more lean muscle mass as a person ages. It is just theoretical, but isn't one of the reasons people gain fat as they age because of a lower resting metabolism associated with a reduction in mitochondria? Or is this incorrect? If it is correct then middle aged and older people would notice fat loss but probably not as much for younger people. This is what I mean by age related weight gain-

IMHO, what you are referring to is one aspect of aging and fat gain.

I think there are other mechanisms, however, that kick in under the starvation condition. Under that condition, I believe the body tries to preserve LBM actively while using fat. For example:

SIRT1 promotes fat mobilization in white adipocytes by repressing PPAR-gamma

Picard, Chung, Kurtney, Topark-ngarm, Senawong, Machado, Leid, McBurney, Guarente

Department of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA.

Calorie restriction extends lifespan in organisms ranging from yeast to mammals. In yeast, the SIR2 gene mediates the life-extending effects of calorie restriction. Here we show that the mammalian SIR2 orthologue, Sirt1 (sirtuin 1), activates a critical component of calorie restriction in mammals; that is, fat mobilization in white adipocytes. Upon food withdrawal Sirt1 protein binds to and represses genes controlled by the fat regulator PPAR-gamma (peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma), including genes mediating fat storage. Sirt1 represses PPAR-gamma by docking with its cofactors NCoR (nuclear receptor co-repressor) and SMRT (silencing mediator of retinoid and thyroid hormone receptors). Mobilization of fatty acids from white adipocytes upon fasting is compromised in Sirt1+/- mice. Repression of PPAR-gamma by Sirt1 is also evident in 3T3-L1 adipocytes, where overexpression of Sirt1 attenuates adipogenesis, and RNA interference of Sirt1 enhances it. In differentiated fat cells, upregulation of Sirt1 triggers lipolysis and loss of fat. As a reduction in fat is sufficient to extend murine lifespan, our results provide a possible molecular pathway connecting calorie restriction to life extension in mammals.

Edited by SearchHorizon, 07 September 2008 - 09:47 PM.

#26 zawy

• 291 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 11:14 PM

3 months of 1 g/day did not have any effect on belly fat. I monitor and control belly fat with CR and weight lifting/exercise. It's by far my favorite method of monitoring my overall health. It takes 3 months of hard work to reduce it from 1 inch to 1/4, as measured on the right side of my belly button. Age 41. My impression is that weight lifting and exercise are healthier and better than CR for decreasing belly fat. I do not get the impression that sedentary CR is as healthy as good exercise and healthy eating.

#27 SearchHorizon

• 167 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:09 AM

3 months of 1 g/day did not have any effect on belly fat. I monitor and control belly fat with CR and weight lifting/exercise. It's by far my favorite method of monitoring my overall health. It takes 3 months of hard work to reduce it from 1 inch to 1/4, as measured on the right side of my belly button. Age 41. My impression is that weight lifting and exercise are healthier and better than CR for decreasing belly fat. I do not get the impression that sedentary CR is as healthy as good exercise and healthy eating.

May I ask what your overall set up is like? For example, protein/carb/fat breakdown of your diet. Your lifting schedule. Your caloric intake, your approximate caloric output, etc. ...

#28 zawy

• 291 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:12 PM

I am very erratic in my exercise, sometimes nearly stopping for 3 months. In my 20's i was sedentary. I am 5'9", 136 lbs right now, with a full inch of belly fat. This is due to a foot and hand injury that caused me to lay off. In about a month I'll be back to 140 with 1/2 inch belly fat if i do good. I measure by pinching deep. I've kept a bent piece of aluminum in the past to measure weekly progress. It is a C shape to make sure depth is constant, measured over a mole. Even being careful, it's a very delicate measurement. I bend it tight one week and the next week i want to see it move around more easily.

I could do better at getting my last inch off in less than 3 months with more aerobic, but my history at being consistent is not good. My cholesterol gets above 200 if i do not do consistent aerobic.

I eat some sugars from fruit. Coffee with 20 g whey protein and vitamins is often breakfast, other times 2 egg whites. Hunger snack: 85% dark chocolate 40 g/day (210 calories). 2 cups blueberries and nuts with snacking are often lunch. Dinner is often the biggest meal. 3 cans of salmon per week. An unwarmed, unseasoned can of peas is sometimes a meal. I'm not big on preparing meals. As low as 1,500 calories per day if i'm not exercising. Splurging would be 2,500 calories during weight lifting. Average about 1800. Protein/sugar/carbs/fat grams: guessing: 70/30/200/80. I guess if i really did low carb and didn't make dinner the biggest meal, it would be a lot easier. I try to follow one rule when eating: never eat anything that has more sugar than protein, including my chocolate. I have a little fear of eating too little and will snack on carbs because once when i counted calories carefully, i started avoiding eating simply because i didn't feel like figuring out and writing down the calories and i really crashed from ketone acidosis that caused my heart rate to stay above 110 bpm for days. Took me a month to recover. Doctor was like, "i don't know what the ketones are from, you're not starving yourself"....and i was like "hold on there doc maybe i was". I had also increased exercise and calories were coming out to 1500, so i shouldn't have been so stupid. I've also had the heart race for a day after nights of party drinking in my early 30's (apparently i'm sensitive to acetaldehyde).

Nowadays i buy ketone stix if i am going into really low cal to make sure those ketones don't get too low again.

Exercise right now getting into: 15 min/day cardio on stair stepper 25 bpm. dumbells: 15 different things 1 to 4 sets, try to average > 15 BPM during rest periods for 1 hour. Sit ups with 40 pounds. 12 pullups, trying to get back to 15 or 20. 40 or 50 pushups, feet raised high. Lift 80 pounds from floor to above my head 3 sets of 10 or 12...surprising how slow progress is on that final raise. Finsh with extra lift and curl, maybe double. Obliques and shrugs using two 40 pounders strapped together for one side, 30 and 70 reps per side. No leg work except lunges and stair stepper (70 pound pack for 5 minutes sometimes, plus calve work). When i don't work out, I am obviously a thin dude looking pretty puny, but I look pretty healthy when i do work out, but not up to par with guys who visit a gym regularly. Hopefully on this next round, some six pack will show. The reason I'm not good at weight lifting is that i only do it for health. I think i need more vanity (for lack of a friendlier description) to be good at it.

Edited by zawy, 08 September 2008 - 06:30 PM.

#29 zawy

• 291 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:51 PM

oops, that's 25 and 15 beats per 10 second. I should say if i was smarter or more serious about health, then i could be more consistent, rather than implying vanity is necessary for good health. Thinking about things and typing it out helps me see where I'm failing in the exercise and eating routines. I take about 40 pills a day, 1 ounce, way more than i want, and i'm only a little more consistent with that than exercise. Niacin and red yeast rice and fish oil for the cholesterol. Vit C powder in water-down fruit drinks.

Edited by zawy, 08 September 2008 - 07:59 PM.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 SearchHorizon

• 167 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:59 PM

zawy:

Thanks for your response -- I have read it.

Let me briefly summarize the issue that I am trying to address. Generally, when one's weight changes, whether that weight change improves one's appearance/health depends on how much lean body mass and fat was gained or lost.

For example, if you gained 10 lbs and all of it came from fat, then, that weight gain will make you unhealthier and look worse. If ALL of that 10 lb came from lean bpdy mass (LBM) gain, you will look much better. Conversely, if you lost 10 lb, and all of that was from fat, you will improve in appearance. If all of that came from muscle, then, you'll have worsened your health/appearance.

The question is not whether resveratrol will help you gain weight or lose weight. Weight change is purely a function of caloric intake/output. The question is, when you lose weight, AND you are taking resveratrol, how much of that weight loss is from losing fat? And without resveratrol, when you lose weight, how much of that weight loss would be from losing fat?

Conversely, when you gain weight, AND you are taking reseveratrol, how much of that weight gain is from muscle? And without resveratrol, how much of that weight would have been from muscle gain?

Edited by SearchHorizon, 08 September 2008 - 08:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users