• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Barack Obama wins democratic nomination!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:22 AM

Barack Obama won the democratic nomination for president!

Finally the democratic primary is over!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7434791.stm

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:26 AM

Hmm. YouTube pulled the video already. Maybe Hillary threatened them.

#3 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:48 AM

you must be very happy ;)

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 05:40 AM

Congrats to Obama. Now do you guys prefer mccain or obama?

#5 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 06:06 AM

you must be very happy ;)

My happiness is tempered a lot by knowing that should he win in the fall, he will inherit a horrific mess that the Republicans have produced. His hands will be tied in a variety of ways, and he may be blamed for what are really Republican chickens coming home to roost. He's still our best hope, imho.

#6 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 06:15 AM

Congrats to Obama. Now do you guys prefer mccain or obama?

Apparently Obama, by almost a 3 to 1 margin: http://www.imminst.o...ama-t20395.html

#7 mentatpsi

• 904 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:51 PM

he cured my blindness ;)

here's to diplomatic talks with Iran... I wonder, am i the only one afraid of Islamic countries with nuclear power?

#8 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 05:23 PM

he cured my blindness ;)

here's to diplomatic talks with Iran... I wonder, am i the only one afraid of Islamic countries with nuclear power?

I get afraid of that too. Even if the current government in Iran just wants to gain more insight into nuclear power for energy purposes, there may be one future government in iran that's going to be radical and the more nuclear knowledge they have the easier it would be for them to take one step further and develop nuclear bombs.

If Iran or another islamic country starts going that way (with a radical government + nuclear knowledge -which is soon to be the case of iran-), i wouldn't mind if it were invaded.

I'm not really sure if Obama is able to deal with these issues as well as McCain would..

#9 Cyberbrain

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 09:44 PM

he cured my blindness :p

I have several opinions about Iran establishing a nuclear program.

1. Under the UN nuclear proliferation treaty they are allowed to establish a civil nuclear program. However, knowing Iran's history they will certainly most likely try to enrich uranium to weapons grade yield in secret.

2. Iran is not stupid enough to create nuclear weapons with a 1 kiloton yield or more, or in other words a nuclear bomb. But their true objective would most likely be to use the depleted uranium rods as warheads in tanks, missiles, or artillery rounds like the Americans do.

3. If they build an atomic bomb and use it, Israel, NATO, and America would literary wipe Iran off the map in no time. And even if they use depleted uranium rods in tanks, missiles, or artillery, Iran has no chance against fighting America and Israel.

4. While Iran poses no military threat by establishing a nuclear program, there is the possibility they could hand over nuclear material to terrorists and that is extremely dangerous.

As long as Iran has ties to terrorist organizations, I do not support their nuclear ambitions.

But if we sit down and negotiate with Iran, there is a large chance they can become our ally. I mean Iran even congratulated Bush when we over threw the Taliban and Saddam (Iran's two biggest enemies).

I have a couple of friends from Iran, and Iran is actually a pretty modern secular society. Our media has completely blown things out of proportion.

#10 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:05 PM

I'm not really sure if Obama is able to deal with these issues as well as McCain would..

Look at it this way: McCain's approach is more of the same Bush policies, and look how that turned out. How could Obama, a smart guy who will have good advisors, be any worse? I think he's highly likely to be better.

#11 Cyberbrain

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:19 PM

Look at it this way: McCain's approach is more of the same Bush policies, and look how that turned out. How could Obama, a smart guy who will have good advisors, be any worse? I think he's highly likely to be better.

Let's also put it this way ...

Obama finished at Harvard University (specializing in law, political science, and international relations) ... McCain barely got in and barely finished Naval Academy.

Edited by Kostas, 04 June 2008 - 10:29 PM.

#12 modelcadet

• 443 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:30 PM

he cured my blindness :p

I have several opinions about Iran establishing a nuclear program.

1. Under the UN nuclear proliferation treaty they are allowed to establish a civil nuclear program. However, knowing Iran's history they will certainly most likely try to enrich uranium to weapons grade yield in secret.

2. Iran is not stupid enough to create nuclear weapons with a 1 kiloton yield or more, or in other words a nuclear bomb. But their true objective would most likely be to use the depleted uranium rods as warheads in tanks, missiles, or artillery rounds like the Americans do.

3. If they build an atomic bomb and use it, Israel, NATO, and America would literary wipe Iran off the map in no time. And even if they use depleted uranium rods in tanks, missiles, or artillery, Iran has no chance against fighting America and Israel.

4. While Iran poses no military threat by establishing a nuclear program, there is the possibility they could hand over nuclear material to terrorists and that is extremely dangerous.

As long as Iran has ties to terrorist organizations, I do not support their nuclear ambitions.

But if we sit down and negotiate with Iran, there is a large chance they can become our ally. I mean Iran even congratulated Bush when we over threw the Taliban and Saddam (Iran's two biggest enemies).

I have a couple of friends from Iran, and Iran is actually a pretty modern secular society. Our media has completely blown things out of proportion.

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

The reason countries want nuclear weapons is because countries with nuclear weapons don't get fucked up by the Bush Doctrine or other imperialist bullshit from the West. Iran looks to Pakistan, then to Iraq. Because of Obama's background, he understands that the challenge of the 21st century isn't racism or sexism, it's to overcome diversity in general, be it in sexual identity, transhumanism, or globalism.

I encourage everyone to watch the documentary "Rageh Inside Iran." It pleasantly changed my perception of life in the Middle East. If the mainstream media didn't actively encourage the "sand n*****" stereotypes, we as a global community would be much more informed of diversity and its benefits.

Part 1 here!

• Lurker

Posted 08 June 2008 - 04:17 AM

Just damn. Obama seems to be rather young to be showing symptoms like this. Should we be concerned?

#14 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 05:09 AM

Just damn. Obama seems to be rather young to be showing symptoms like this. Should we be concerned?

Not too long ago, when presented with some negative facts about McCain, you said:

In any case, I don't have time for you. I've actually got real work to do for the welfare of our country that has nothing to do with politics.

So I guess you finished that work?

#15 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 05:18 AM

Concerned because he got distracted from someone yelling at him? (which was obviously not picked up by the mic, but he was talking to)

• Lurker

Posted 08 June 2008 - 09:52 AM

Concerned because he got distracted from someone yelling at him? (which was obviously not picked up by the mic, but he was talking to)

Actually I shouldn't even joke about something like that - it was in very poor taste. Sorry about that.

Yes, it does appear that he was distracted by someone off mic, but his pastors at Trinity UCC never seemed to miss a beat even with all the shouting and whopping and hollering going on. Seems to me he could have benefited from staying on board there a bit longer.

Edited by ludongbin, 08 June 2008 - 10:04 AM.

• Lurker

Posted 08 June 2008 - 10:06 AM

Not too long ago, when presented with some negative facts about McCain, you said:

In any case, I don't have time for you. I've actually got real work to do for the welfare of our country that has nothing to do with politics.

So I guess you finished that work?

Yes, for now in any case. You may sleep soundly tonight.

#18 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 05:49 AM

This is a sweet graphic! Check it out ;)

http://graphics8.nyt...HIC/margins.swf

#19 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 05:59 AM

This is a sweet graphic! Check it out ;)

http://graphics8.nyt...HIC/margins.swf

LOL.
As I increase in income, the distribution shifts over to the Obama side.
As I increase in age, the distribution shifts to the Clinton side.
As I increase in education, the distribution shifts to the Obama side.

Even if I knew nothing about what each candidate stood for, that information alone would be enough for me to decide between the two. I wonder what Ron Paul's distribution looks like.

#20 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 02:50 PM

This Black/White distribution is a bit disconcerting...

A

#21 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:08 PM

I dislike them both..

#22 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:14 PM

how about Captain Kirk for president ;)

#23 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 12:35 AM

how about Captain Kirk for president :p

I love that so much it hurts a little. I'm just starting his newest book (autobiography) and it's as enjoyable as all the rest.

• Lurker

Posted 11 June 2008 - 01:10 AM

LOL.

Even if I knew nothing about what each candidate stood for, that information alone would be enough for me to decide between the two. I wonder what Ron Paul's distribution looks like.

The highest income bracket they go by is a family making $50,000. That's poverty if you ask me. Besides, I don't see what the hell you're talking about, they're all smack dab in the middle for each income bracket.

Younger people happen to be less white and don't remember that Clinton was a good president. They're also usually stupid.

Although, the education thing I could only disagree with by being extremely biased, assuming flawed somehow... Weren't asians for Clinton?

Edited by Fear&Obey, 11 June 2008 - 01:17 AM.

#25 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:07 AM

LOL.

The highest income bracket they go by is a family making $50,000. That's poverty if you ask me. Besides, I don't see what the hell you're talking about, they're all smack dab in the middle for each income bracket.

Younger people happen to be less white and don't remember that Clinton was a good president. They're also usually stupid.

Although, the education thing I could only disagree with by being extremely biased, assuming flawed somehow... Weren't asians for Clinton?

I'm pretty sure that if you look at income over a wider range, the more well-off people would have trended toward Obama. Old people liked Clinton a lot. She totally had the post-menopausal vote locked up. If someone owns neither a cell phone nor a computer, they were probably Clinton people. Oh well, water under the bridge. What counts now is Obama vs. McCain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users