Photo
- - - - -

Pycnogenol and Verbal Fluency

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 Erstwhile

• 36 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:01 AM

So, are there any updates on this thread? Does anyone still take pycnogenol and noticed nootropic benefits?

#62 middpanther88

• 185 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:19 PM

What's the verdict on this one about pycnogenol's efficacy?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 panhedonic

• 388 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:14 AM

I'm also interested in this. Need to improve my verbal fluency.

#64 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

I've recently tried both forms (pycnogenol then pine park extrack) at around 100mg, then upping to 300mg. Not noticed any effect at all, not even the supposed skin enhancing effects. Also pure Pyncnogenol is ridiculously expensive. I have ADHD and Eczema, and it has not helped with either of those problems.

#65 8bitmore

• 347 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:48 AM

I have done a months trial of Pycnogenol at 100mg a day; did not notice any particular changes in myself, but then my skin is okay (as long as I stay off gluten/cheese) and I don't suffer any other particulars that it purportedly should be able to help with. Would like to do longer/bigger-dose trial some time but the prices are just too high to justify what seems like relatively minor/subtle effects when one's diet/health is already in good order.

Edited by 8bitmore, 15 April 2013 - 09:49 AM.

#66 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

I have trialed continously for about a month, then ran out.

#67 middpanther88

• 185 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:13 PM

I used pine bark. Not really much of a boost. Like to read more when on it, but don't know how significantly more I comprehend.

#68 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 03:49 PM

Last year I used pycnogenol for a while when I was trying to resolve tinnitus.  I don't remember any mental benefits.  I was taking it with a lot of other stuff too, though.  I have some bottles left and I might try it again and see.  I got two kinds, both from Swanson, one Swanson, and one Swanson ultra, and that's weird because swanson ultra is used in cases where someone else makes the product, and swanson is used when they make it, but pycnogenol is made by another group so I don't know why they would have both.

#69 airplanepeanuts

• 352 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:23 PM

Last year I used pycnogenol for a while when I was trying to resolve tinnitus.  I don't remember any mental benefits.  I was taking it with a lot of other stuff too, though.  I have some bottles left and I might try it again and see.  I got two kinds, both from Swanson, one Swanson, and one Swanson ultra, and that's weird because swanson ultra is used in cases where someone else makes the product, and swanson is used when they make it, but pycnogenol is made by another group so I don't know why they would have both.

The only difference is the dosage 50 vs 100 mg.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#70 thedevinroy

• 1,188 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:52 AM

I get nootropic effects from an attack dose of like 1g or so... like an hour of productive mind freedom. Then poof, back to normal. Not a fun dose to take even with the cheap stuff. Tastes like pine bark.

Instead, I recommend going for the monomer and dimer catechol extracts for more immediate effects. Stuff like hops and cocoa. Again, only lasts an hour and then maybe you get some residual awakeness.

I will say that constant supplementation with high polyphenols/catechols does seem to produce long term motivation, energy, and mood enhancement. Definitely exists a compound effect. I believe it has to do with a hormetic response of dopaminergic neurons.

Obviously, oxidization happens in mitochondria and is a healthy process for energy creation. We have our natural scavengers of free radicals that take care of the ROS. When this process is interrupted by antioxidants, it triggers the release of more dopamine activity in the form of DA receptors and tyrosine hydroxylase to get the mitochondria working at full capacity again.

Polyphenols/catechins are broken down into metabolites and absorbed into the walls of unhealthy nuclei causing telomere production interruption but are otherwise completely harmless to healthy cells and help regulate mitochondrial functions that extend their life.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....ubmed/24875147/

The initial boost comes from inhibition of COMT and very small bits of MAO-B inhibition activity. Lasting effects from initial effects have to do with vesicles and their release from having slightly more PEA than usual. In theory.

So it is an interesting biofeedback loop. Dopamine spike resides, then the cells realize they can handle more positive ions, so they put out their feelers (not sure how that works), realize that it's all good, and start manufacturing more enzymes for dopamine activity. The net effect is more energy, same oxidation level.

Edited by devinthayer, 29 June 2016 - 04:01 AM.

• Ill informed x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users