Photo

Caffeine poisioning

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 06:21 PM

I've discussed this with people and I can't find any good source on the net,but could drinking 2 liters of cocacola in a period of about 10 minutes lead to symptoms of caffeine poisoning for a human of average size?

(no I'm not going to try it) ;)

Edited by Shonghow, 14 June 2008 - 06:22 PM.

#2 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 09:19 PM

I'm no expert in it but i hardly think so. Coke doesn't have so much caffeine in 2 liters...

#3 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 09:46 PM

2 liters of coke would have on the order of 200 mg of caffeine, about the same as one small starbucks coffee.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 09:52 PM

I'm no expert in it but i hardly think so. Coke doesn't have so much caffeine in 2 liters...

it's probably best to hold back what you think if you don't have data

#5 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,130 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 09:59 PM

Are you sure it is only 200 mg in a big 2 liter bottle? A twelve ounce can has 34 mg of Caffeine.

Hmmm, now I have to think about that darn metric to English units....I guess it would be around 200mg. Not that much.

#6 cyborgdreamer

• 735 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 10:04 PM

I don't know about the caffine, but pumping that much sugar into your blood stream can't be healthy.

#7 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 10:20 PM

Are you sure it is only 200 mg in a big 2 liter bottle? A twelve ounce can has 34 mg of Caffeine.

Hmmm, now I have to think about that darn metric to English units....I guess it would be around 200mg. Not that much.

diet coke has about a 3rd more.

12 oz is about .35 of a liter.

#8 VictorBjoerk

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 10:35 PM

is that enough to cause symptoms when consumed very rapidly for the average man weighing maybe 150 pounds?

#9 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:38 PM

So using some logic to come to conclusions and then give our opinions is not allowed anymore?

I just reasoned that we would hear many cases of people having caffeine poisoning issues if just drinking 2 liters of coke in short periods of time did so much harm, i mean, millions of people must already have drunk 2 liters of coke in short amounts of time.

No need for data when you can just think a little.

Edited by sam988, 14 June 2008 - 11:47 PM.

#10 VictorBjoerk

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:45 PM

Of course I know it won't do any long-term damage to most people but I'm wondering if it's enough to get eg irregular heart-beatsmuscle twitching and tachycardia as well as other unpleasant and potentially dangerous things associated with high caffeine intake....

Someone maybe should try this and report how they feel and maybe measure how the heart rate and blood pressure changes etc..

#11 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:54 PM

Did Idiocracy finally come true?

#12 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:58 PM

So using some logic to come to conclusions and then give our opinions is not allowed anymore?

I just reasoned that we would hear many cases of people having caffeine poisoning issues if just drinking 2 liters of coke in short periods of time did so much harm, i mean, millions of people must already have drunk 2 liters of coke in short amounts of time.

opinions have zero value if not backed up by evidence or at least the reasoning behind it. Simply stating what an opinion is does not contribute to a thread.

#13 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 12:04 AM

Why bother with that? I only drink coke when there's rum mixed with it, and not all that often. Cola is not a beverage option imo

#14 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 12:13 AM

Now there is an experiment for you, Shonghow. Mix 2 parts Coke, 1 part whiskey until you've taken out the 2-liter.

Report back.

#15 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 12:50 AM

opinions have zero value if not backed up by evidence or at least the reasoning behind it. Simply stating what an opinion is does not contribute to a thread.

Talk about evidence addiction (in lack of a better definition) lol. That was an obvious question, unless you think that drinking 2 liters of coke in 10 mins can really harm somebody. All the evidence needed is the fact that Coke didn't go bankrupt because of judicial actions yet...

I gave an answer without much more info because i assumed that everyone has enough common sense (other than Shonghow ;) . ok i know everybody has his unbright moments i don't blame you Shong ;) ). Sure if the question was more complex i would have elaborated a bit more on it.

Edited by sam988, 15 June 2008 - 12:50 AM.

#16 cyborgdreamer

• 735 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 12:51 AM

Of course I know it won't do any long-term damage to most people but I'm wondering if it's enough to get eg irregular heart-beatsmuscle twitching and tachycardia as well as other unpleasant and potentially dangerous things associated with high caffeine intake....

Someone maybe should try this and report how they feel and maybe measure how the heart rate and blood pressure changes etc..

Preferably someone who isn't trying to live forever.

#17 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 01:00 AM

I do this every morning when I have a couple cups of coffee (-the sugar of course). That gives me the caffeine quantity in 6 liters of coke every morning....

#18 cyborgdreamer

• 735 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 02:19 AM

I do this every morning when I have a couple cups of coffee (-the sugar of course). That gives me the caffeine quantity in 6 liters of coke every morning....

Okay so the caffine won't hurt you but between the sugar and the sheer fluid volume, I still wouldn't advise drinking that much Coke in ten minutes.

#19 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:03 AM

Okay so the caffine won't hurt you but between the sugar and the sheer fluid volume, I still wouldn't advise drinking that much Coke in ten minutes.

good advice

#20 VictorBjoerk

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 12:21 PM

yes, obviously a good advice............

#21 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 01:15 PM

2 liter of any drink would probably give you water poisoning though.

#22 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:53 PM

#23 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:14 PM

It was not an opinion, it was a fact stating :p

http://en.wikipedia....er_intoxication

http://www.wisegeek....ntoxication.htm

But seems like 2 liters isn't a great enough amount to get water poisoning (I know I got it from drinking 3 liters in few minutes though, was dehydrated and was told to keep drinking, day after, I am water poisoned, yay.)

#24 VictorBjoerk

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:24 PM

The stomach can hold about 4 liters so that's not the problem..however I think we can safely state that NO you don't get caffeine poisoned by drinking that amount of cocacola in 10 minutes.End of discussion.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users