- - - - -

Nootropic for being alert at night shifts

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 samcortex

• 8 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:10 AM

Hi:
I have many night shifts and being alert is very important. I may have a little time to sleep between calls but most of the night I need to be awake and alert. Can you please suggest a nootropic (or some nootropics) that help me and keep(s) my mind alert at night?
Thanks
SamCortex

#2 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:20 AM

200mg Modafinil

Prim Care Companion J Clin Psychiatry. 2007;9(3):188-94.Click here to read Links
Modafinil for excessive sleepiness associated with chronic shift work sleep disorder: effects on patient functioning and health-related quality of life.
Erman MK, Rosenberg R, For The U S Modafinil Shift Work Sleep Disorder Study Group .

Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, and Pacific Sleep Medicine Services, Inc., San Diego, Calif. and Northside Hospital Sleep Medicine Institute, Atlanta, Ga.

Objective: We evaluated the effects of modafinil, a wake-promoting agent, on patient functioning, health-related quality of life, and nighttime and daytime sleep in patients with excessive sleepiness associated with shift work sleep disorder (SWSD).Method: A 12-week, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study was performed at 31 centers in the United States between February 2001 and March 2002. Adults (N = 278) with excessive sleepiness associated with chronic SWSD (International Classification of Sleep Disorders criteria) were randomly assigned to receive modafinil 200 or 300 mg or placebo, 30 to 60 minutes before each night shift. Effects on patient functioning and quality of life were assessed using the Functional Outcomes of Sleep Questionnaire (FOSQ) and the 36-item Short Form Health Survey (SF-36), respectively. Daily patient diaries were used as a sleep log.Results: Modafinil 300 mg significantly improved mean FOSQ total score relative to placebo (2.3-point increase from baseline vs. 1.6 for placebo; p < .05). Both doses of modafinil significantly improved mean SF-36 mental component scores relative to placebo (mean changes from baseline of 3.2, 3.7, and 0.7 points in the modafinil 300-mg, modafinil 200-mg, and placebo groups, respectively; p < .05 for each comparison vs. placebo). Modafinil did not adversely affect sleep when sleep was desired or caffeine use. Modafinil was well tolerated. Headache (21.5%) and nausea (12.4%) were the most common adverse events in modafinil-treated patients. Differences between modafinil and placebo for vital sign measurements, physical examination findings, or electrocardiography results were not clinically meaningful.Conclusions: Modafinil significantly improves functioning and quality of life in patients with SWSD. Modafinil is an effective treatment for excessive sleepiness associated with SWSD.

PMID: 17632651 [PubMed - in process]

You could also consider the use of bright lighting (>5000lux) to inhibit melatonin release. Check out the Apollo GoLite

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 samcortex

• Topic Starter
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:27 AM

200mg Modafinil

How do you buy Modafinil? Isn't it regulated?
Thanks
SamCortex

#4 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:58 AM

If your job requires that you work night shift then speak with your doctor about this. Present the above abstract and they should write you a script. If you work night shift it's more than just trying to stay awake. It's about your circadian rhythm which is closely connected to your overall wellbeing

#5 samcortex

• Topic Starter
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:29 AM

If your job requires that you work night shift then speak with your doctor about this. Present the above abstract and they should write you a script. If you work night shift it's more than just trying to stay awake. It's about your circadian rhythm which is closely connected to your overall wellbeing

That's great. Thanks
Just another question. Is there any OTC or Herbal based product that keeps me awake/alert at night shifts (before visiting the doctor)
Thanks
SamCortex

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 Mr.Bananas

• 108 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:14 PM

That's great. Thanks
Just another question. Is there any OTC or Herbal based product that keeps me awake/alert at night shifts (before visiting the doctor)
Thanks
SamCortex

Coffee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users