• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Nootropics effects... Are they cumulative or instant?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Leo

• 47 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:28 PM

Is the effect of the following supplements cumulative or it can be felt soon after ingesting them?

CDP-Choline

Alpha-GPC

Huperzine A

Centrophenoxine

Piracetam

I haven't tried any of them yet and was wondering whether or not the effect builds up over time. In other words, if I have an exam, can I take any of these supplements above and feel a mental/memory boost within a couple of hours?

#2 Rags847

• 362 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:13 PM

Is the effect of the following supplements cumulative or it can be felt soon after ingesting them?

CDP-Choline

Alpha-GPC

Huperzine A

Centrophenoxine

Piracetam

I haven't tried any of them yet and was wondering whether or not the effect builds up over time. In other words, if I have an exam, can I take any of these supplements above and feel a mental/memory boost within a couple of hours?

Although many say Piracetam takes time to built up (and that it true to an extent) I recently went back on Piracteam/CDP-Choline after 3 months off and I noticed the mind strengthening, thought-quickening, etc effects the first day back.
So, yea, they can be used as a booster for exam periods.

Edited by Rags847, 23 June 2008 - 11:14 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Leo

• Topic Starter
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:46 AM

Since choline is water soluble and is never stored in the body, then I guess the effect of CDP-Choline will be instant, not cumulative. Am I correct?

CDP-Choline

Alpha-GPC

Huperzine A

Centrophenoxine

Piracetam

#4 Mr.Bananas

• 108 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 06:08 PM

If cdp-choline is instant, what effects should be expected?
I took 500mg in one dose yesterday and i cant say that i felt anything.

And i took 600mg alpha-gpc and 100mcg huperzine today, usually huperzine has made me excited and full of energy but today i havent been very "speedy" at all. The effects arent that consistent, some days i feel really good on nootropics and others are just so-so.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 Leo

• Topic Starter
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:53 AM

I just found the answer to this question:

Citicoline is a water-soluble compound with greater than 90-percent bioavailability. (3) Pharmacokinetic studies on healthy adults have shown oral doses of citicoline are rapidly absorbed, with less than one percent excreted in feces. Plasma levels peak in a biphasic manner, at one hour after ingestion followed by a second larger peak at 24 hours post-dosing. Citicoline is metabolized in the gut wall and liver. The byproducts of exogenous citicoline formed by hydrolysis in the intestinal wall are choline and cytidine. Following absorption, choline and cytidine are dispersed throughout the body, enter systemic circulation for utilization in various biosynthetic pathways, and cross the blood-brain barrier for re-synthesis into citicoline in the brain. (4)

Pharmacokinetic studies using [sup.14]C citicoline show citicoline elimination occurs mainly via respiratory C[O.sub.2], and urinary excretion, in two phases mirroring the biphasic plasma peaks. The initial peak in plasma concentration is followed by a sharp decline, which then slows over the next 4-10 hours. In the second phase, an initially rapid decline after the 24-hour plasma peak is similarly followed by a slower elimination rate. The elimination half-life is 56 hours for C[O.sub.2] and 71 hours for urinary excretion. (5)

Oral administration of citicoline raises plasma levels of cytidine and choline in rats within six to eight hours. Prolonged administration for 42 and 90 days increases brain concentrations of phosphatidylcholine, phosphatidylethanolamine, and phosphatidylserine--the three major phospholipids in brain cell membranes. Evidence for the role of these metabolites as substrates for phosphatidylcholine synthesis was found in a study giving rats daily oral doses of citicoline for 90 days. At a dose of 500 mg/kg per day phosphatidylcholine levels increased by 25 percent, phosphatidylethanolamine by 17 percent, and phosphatidylserine by 42 percent. (8)

From http://findarticles....1_9/ai_n5990648

Since choline is water soluble and is never stored in the body, then I guess the effect of CDP-Choline will be instant, not cumulative. Am I correct?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users