Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Coconut oil and health

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#91 Blue

• 1,104 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 11:11 PM

Three studies comparing coconut oil to other oils. Coconut oil was was worse in every case. I will not be switching.

The Golden Syrian hamster (Mesocricetus auratus) has been shown to be a useful model of both human lipoprotein metabolism and the development of atherosclerosis. We report the effects of dietary lipids on the progression and regression of atherosclerosis in this model. In the first study, hamsters fed on coconut oil (150 g/kg diet) and cholesterol (30 g/kg diet) developed lipid-rich lesions in the ascending aorta (0.28 (SD 0.14) mm2) and aortic arch (0.01 (SD 0.01) mm2) after 4 weeks that continued to progress over the next 8 weeks (0.75 (SD 0.41) mm2 and 0.12 (SD 0.11) mm2 for the ascending aorta and aortic arch respectively). Removal of cholesterol from the diet halted this progression. Furthermore, in animals fed on olive oil in the absence of added cholesterol, plasma LDL-cholesterol concentrations were lower (P < 0.05) and the extent of atherosclerotic lesions was reduced (P < 0.001 for both regions of the aorta) compared with animals fed on coconut oil (with no added cholesterol). In a second study, animals were fed on the atherogenic diet for 10 weeks, transferred to diets containing either coconut oil (150 g/kg diet) or olive oil (150 g/kg diet) without added cholesterol and monitored for up to 16 weeks. In the ascending aorta, lesion size doubled in animals fed on coconut oil but stabilized in those fed on olive oil. In the aortic arch, lesion size decreased linearly (P < 0.05, P < 0.001 for coconut oil and olive oil respectively) with the greatest reduction being seen in the olive-oil-fed animals (P < 0.05). Again, progression and regression of atherosclerosis appeared to reflect the relative concentrations of LDL-cholesterol and HDL-cholesterol in the plasma. We conclude that the male Golden Syrian hamster represents a useful model of dietary induced regression as well as progression of atherosclerosis.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/10673913

It was found that sesame oil produced significant beneficial changes in terms of increment of HDL and reduction of TLC, LDL, VLDL and TG values in comparison to intake of coconut oil.
http://indianmedicin...llItemRecord=ON

Obesity and increased fat intake are linked to type II diabetes. The objective of the present study was to evaluate the effect of diets containing either canola oil or coconut oil on body weight, food intake, water consumption, blood glucose, and glucose or palmitate uptake in the sham group and streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. Eighty Sprague-Dawley female rats were equally divided among four groups and were fed diets containing either 15% or 47% canola oil or coconut oil. One-half of the rats received an intraperitoneal injection with streptozotocin (STZ) at a rate of 15 mg/kg body weight and the remainder were injected with equal volume of citrate buffer. The dietary treatments for the eight-weeks duration of the study were: 1. Canola oil (15%); 2. Canola oil (15%) + STZ; 3. Coconut oil (15%); 4. Coconut oil (15%) + STZ; 5. Coconut oil (47%); 6. Coconut oil (47%) + STZ; 7. Canola oil (47%); 8. Canola oil (47%) + STZ. Diets were isocaloric and isonitrogenous. All rats were pair-fed to the mean food intake of rats eating 15% canola oil. The initial weight was similar across treatments. Streptozotocin significantly (P<0.05) increased water consumption, and significantly depressed (P<0.05) body weight, feed intake, glucose uptake and palmitate uptake, while increased (P<0.05) blood glucose level. Eating diets containing either canola oil or coconut oil did not affect blood glucose, food consumption, water intake, or body weight. Eating diets containing canola oil significantly (P<0.05) increased glucose and palmitate uptake by muscle cells. The effects were pronounced in rats eating a diet containing 47% canola oil compare to a diet containing 15% canola oil. In conclusion, canola oil increases glucose and palmitate uptake.
http://crops.confex....gram/P23784.HTM

#92 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 06:49 AM

I can't find cheap coconut oil in Finland, and iHerb doesn't ship packages weighing over 1.5 kg, so I haven't been eating as much coconut oil as I'd like. However, for the past year or so, I've been using coconut milk in almost all my cooking. I also add it to my smoothies.

I just had a blood test done. Compared to my previous readings, total cholesterol was the same, but HDL was higher and LDL was lower. I have a blog post discussing my cholesterol levels here. I once wrote a post about coconut increasing HDL and lowering LDL/VLDL, and my own experience seems to confirm this. Of course, I can't be 100% sure it's the coconut that is the reason, but I have increased my consumption of coconut significantly.

As has been mentioned before, the type of coconut oil used in the studies may be important. Unfortunately, many of them don't specify whether the oil was refined/hydrogenated or not.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#93 JackChristopher

• 178 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:11 PM

I just had a blood test done. Compared to my previous readings, total cholesterol was the same, but HDL was higher and LDL was lower. I have a blog post discussing my cholesterol levels here. I once wrote a post about coconut increasing HDL and lowering LDL/VLDL, and my own experience seems to confirm this. Of course, I can't be 100% sure it's the coconut that is the reason, but I have increased my consumption of coconut significantly.

As has been mentioned before, the type of coconut oil used in the studies may be important. Unfortunately, many of them don't specify whether the oil was refined/hydrogenated or not.

That last sentence is crucial. I doubt they used the (extra) virgin.

Also, plant SFAs and MFAs seem to lower LDL. I'm not sure if that's good or bad. Stearic acid (from chocolate) is neutral. It could because of the things found in plant derived foods; sterols for instance.

#94 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:36 AM

Recent study on coconut oil:

Received: 12 September 2008 Accepted: 22 April 2009 Published online: 13 May 2009

Abstract The effects of dietary supplementation with coconut oil on the biochemical and anthropometric profiles of women presenting waist circumferences (WC) >88 cm (abdominal obesity) were investigated. The randomised, double-blind, clinical trial involved 40 women aged 20–40 years. Groups received daily dietary supplements comprising 30 mL of either soy bean oil (group S; n = 20) or coconut oil (group C; n = 20) over a 12-week period, during which all subjects were instructed to follow a balanced hypocaloric diet and to walk for 50 min per day. Data were collected 1 week before (T1) and 1 week after (T2) dietary intervention. Energy intake and amount of carbohydrate ingested by both groups diminished over the trial, whereas the consumption of protein and fibre increased and lipid ingestion remained unchanged. At T1 there were no differences in biochemical or anthropometric characteristics between the groups, whereas at T2 group C presented a higher level of HDL (48.7 ± 2.4 vs. 45.00 ± 5.6; P = 0.01) and a lower LDL:HDL ratio (2.41 ± 0.8 vs. 3.1 ± 0.8; P = 0.04). Reductions in BMI were observed in both groups at T2 (P < 0.05), but only group C exhibited a reduction in WC (P = 0.005). Group S presented an increase (P < 0.05) in total cholesterol, LDL and LDL:HDL ratio, whilst HDL diminished (P = 0.03). Such alterations were not observed in group C. It appears that dietetic supplementation with coconut oil does not cause dyslipidemia and seems to promote a reduction in abdominal obesity.
Keywords Medium chain fatty acids - Lauric acid - Dyslipidemia

This article based in part on the Master’s Dissertation of M.L. Assunção, presented to the Faculdade de Nutrição, Universidade Federal de Alagoas, Maceió, AL, Brazil, in 2007. A summary of the paper was presented at the IX Congresso Nacional da Sociedade Brasileira de Alimentação e Nutrição, São Paulo, SP, Brazil, 2007.

#95 frederickson

• 282 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 02:10 AM

Below is a link to an excellent collection of studies on the many benefits of coconut oil

http://www.coconutre...t-research.html

I am a firm believer that the soybean lobby is the only reason the many benefits of coconut oil are not promoted in the United States. Don't you love it when industry dictates health policy? I often wonder if this as much of a problem in other countries.

#96 Blue

• 1,104 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 11:14 PM

To me it is not all that interesting if coconut oil is better than other oils high in saturated fats (animals fats) or oils high in omega-6 (soybean, corn, sunflower, safflower). I want study comparisons to high monounsaturated (olive, canola) or high omega-3 (flaxseed).

#97 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:20 AM

What is the temperature at which coconut oil becomes solidified and can be used as a butter substitute?

#98 shifter

• 716 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:23 AM

The coconut oil used in studies is most likely the cheaper RBD versions (refined, bleached & deodourised). The differences in health between that kind and the unmolestered 'extra virgin' kind is night/day.

Its very high in lauric acid which is great for the immune system. I am sure one day (much like the days when eggs were to be shunned because it contained cholesterol) that 'health' advocates like the heart foundation will give its tick of approval to extra virgin coconut oil despite its saturated fat content. Or we can look forward to companies suggesting that mothers do not breast feed their children because the milk is high in saturated fats and recommend everyone go onto soy formula!

Like cholestrol, there are good saturated fats and bad saturated fats. Coconut oil is loaded with the good kind of saturated fats. Stay away from the refined ones though as they are not good for your health!

#99 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:27 AM

What is the temperature at which coconut oil becomes solidified and can be used as a butter substitute?

i have some and it is kept in a cupboard at room temperature. it is a solid, gel-like form. i scoop a bit out with a spoon and drop it in a frying pan or pot.

if you buy the Nutiva organic coconut oil (which I bought from iherb) it will say on the side of the package, "does not need refrigeration".

#100 Rich D

• 59 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:06 AM

I believe it is 78 degrees. I use it as a butter substitute on popcorn, and Ezekiel sprouted grain bread among other things. Delicious!

#101 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:38 AM

i have some and it is kept in a cupboard at room temperature. it is a solid, gel-like form. i scoop a bit out with a spoon and drop it in a frying pan or pot.

if you buy the Nutiva organic coconut oil (which I bought from iherb) it will say on the side of the package, "does not need refrigeration".

I asked because I just received some jarrow virgin coconut oil in the mail today and it was 100% liquid oil, which probably happened in transit. I think anything above 78 degrees becomes liquified unless it's refined to make it a thicker consistency.

#102 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:40 AM

I believe it is 78 degrees. I use it as a butter substitute on popcorn, and Ezekiel sprouted grain bread among other things. Delicious!

I think it's been above 80 degrees all week here so it must have liquified in transit. I placed it in the refrigerator and hope it becomes solid by the morning.

Edit: Just checked on it. It solidified in about 30 minutes in the refrigerator. I ate a tablespoon full and I am amazed at how similar it tastes to butter, but with a subtle coconut flavoring.

Edited by TheFountain, 07 July 2009 - 04:48 AM.

#103 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:47 AM

People should start slowly on coconut oil. I got overly excited had 3 tablespoons and felt sick for 2 hours afterwards. Take it slow!

#104 JackChristopher

• 178 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:49 PM

People should start slowly on coconut oil. I got overly excited had 3 tablespoons and felt sick for 2 hours afterwards. Take it slow!

I second this. CO destroys you if you eat too much at once. But I can eat a lot of coconut milk with no problem.

#105 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:15 PM

I second this. CO destroys you if you eat too much at once. But I can eat a lot of coconut milk with no problem.

The reason I think is that coconut oil is a natural antimicrobial agent. What people are experiencing when they become nauseous as a result of eating it is the flushing out of microbes from the body. But I imagine one becomes use to such sensations after a while.

#106 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:32 PM

off the top of my head, i can't think of any type of oil that I would want to take 3 tablespoons of at one time.

#107 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:05 PM

Stay away from the refined ones though as they are not good for your health!

Aside from hydrogenation, which I agree would be bad, what aspect of refined coconut oil is not good for you? I could see how it might be "not as good", but why bad? The refining process would remove minor components; is it also adding something?

#108 JackChristopher

• 178 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 02:47 PM

The reason I think is that coconut oil is a natural antimicrobial agent. What people are experiencing when they become nauseous as a result of eating it is the flushing out of microbes from the body. But I imagine one becomes use to such sensations after a while.

Nuts are overstimulating. Eating a lot of almonds bedded me for a few hours. And eating lots of macadamias caused bloating. I think they mess with gut 'flora'. But both are fine in moderation. They're not diet staple. I dropped dairy (except butter/eggs) for the same reason. I take problems like that as I sign I should really be eating it.

#109 Blue

• 1,104 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:48 PM

I think there is way to much promotion of coconut oil on these forums considering the evidence. All the studies I have seen finding good effects compare it against bad fats such high saturated or high omega-6 fats. When compared against good fats such monounsaturated or high omega-3 it compares poorly:
http://www.imminst.o...o...st&p=332976

This is waved away by saying without any evidence that these studies must have used refined coconut oil. Until there studies finding at least comparable effects to those from very well-studied fats such as olive oil coconut oil is not the preferred alternative.

#110 yoyo

• 582 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:37 AM

I think there is way to much promotion of coconut oil on these forums considering the evidence. All the studies I have seen finding good effects compare it against bad fats such high saturated or high omega-6 fats. When compared against good fats such monounsaturated or high omega-3 it compares poorly:

This is waved away by saying without any evidence that these studies must have used refined coconut oil. Until there studies finding at least comparable effects to those from very well-studied fats such as olive oil coconut oil is not the preferred alternative.

its better on some measures, inferior on others.

#111 Blue

• 1,104 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:06 AM

its better on some measures, inferior on others.

Source for claims please.

#112 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:04 AM

What do you take from this article which used coconut oil for source of saturated fat:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14229538/

In the study, at The Heart Research Institute in Sydney, Australia, 14 people, ages 18-40, ate two meals of carrot cake and a milkshake one month apart. One meal was high in saturated fat — using coconut oil — and the other was high in polyunsaturated fat — using safflower oil.

Saturated fat has long been linked to the buildup of plaque that can lead to heart attacks and strokes. HDL, the "good" cholesterol, protects arteries from the inflammation that leads to artery-clogging plaques. And plaque hurts the ability of arteries to expand to carry blood to tissues and organs.

Effect seen in 3 hours
The researchers, led by Dr. Stephen Nicholls, a cardiologist now at the Cleveland Clinic, found that three hours after eating the saturated-fat cake and shake, the lining of the arteries was hindered from expanding to increase blood flow. And after six hours, the anti-inflammatory qualities of the good cholesterol were reduced.

But the polyunsaturated meal seemed to improve those anti-inflammatory qualities. Also, fewer inflammatory agents were found in the arteries than before the meal.

I believe there were some comments made on this trial on Imminst but i can't find them now.Something about the wrong kind of cocunut oil --> not cold pressed & biological

But how do these members know they used the 'wrong kind' of coconut oil?

#113 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:05 AM

And of course if the coconut oil were hydrogenated, then the study would be worthless, except to recommend avoiding hydrogenation.

StephenB

That is an 'if' you and I are uncertain of. Why take a chance if there is a degree of uncertainty?

#114 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 12:30 PM

Here's a rebuttal of the coconut oil vs safflower oil study by Chris Masterjohn.
I don't know if it's been linked here before or not.

http://www.westonapr...fat-attack.html

#115 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 01:59 PM

You can go back one page and see the study I posted on Coconut Oil vs Soy Bean Oil (100g of soybean oil contains 7g of omega-3 fatty acids to 51g of omega-6: a ratio of 1:7).

I can deliver more if you like.

#116 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 03:54 PM

Yes, please do and also always add a short summary of the papers you discuss. I'm so lazy and busy these days and coconut cream would be so convenient a food. I want to see the issue resolved without having to read long Masterjohn-rants (not that I don't want to read 'em, I just can't).

Edited by kismet, 23 September 2009 - 03:54 PM.

#117 Blue

• 1,104 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:01 PM

You can go back one page and see the study I posted on Coconut Oil vs Soy Bean Oil (100g of soybean oil contains 7g of omega-3 fatty acids to 51g of omega-6: a ratio of 1:7).

I was objecting to high omega-6 fats comparisons as stated. Please deliver more studies if you have. Again, I am primarily interested in comparisons with the best fats as found in other studies, primarily high monounsaturated oils, secondarily high omega-3 which would be flaxseed.

Edited by Blue, 23 September 2009 - 05:03 PM.

#118 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:48 AM

The first one - double blind Coconut Oil vs Soybean Oil:

Monica L. Assunção1, Haroldo S. Ferreira1 , Aldenir F. dos Santos2, Cyro R. Cabral Jr1 and Telma M. M. T. Florêncio1
(1) Faculdade de Nutrição, Universidade Federal de Alagoas, Maceió, AL, 57072-970, Brazil
(2) Faculdade de Ciências Biológicas e da Saúde, Fundação Jayme de Altavila, Maceió, AL, 57051-160, Brazil
Received: 12 September 2008 Accepted: 22 April 2009 Published online: 13 May 2009

Abstract The effects of dietary supplementation with coconut oil on the biochemical and anthropometric profiles of women presenting waist circumferences (WC) >88 cm (abdominal obesity) were investigated. The randomised, double-blind, clinical trial involved 40 women aged 20–40 years. Groups received daily dietary supplements comprising 30 mL of either soy bean oil (group S; n = 20) or coconut oil (group C; n = 20) over a 12-week period, during which all subjects were instructed to follow a balanced hypocaloric diet and to walk for 50 min per day. Data were collected 1 week before (T1) and 1 week after (T2) dietary intervention. Energy intake and amount of carbohydrate ingested by both groups diminished over the trial, whereas the consumption of protein and fibre increased and lipid ingestion remained unchanged. At T1 there were no differences in biochemical or anthropometric characteristics between the groups, whereas at T2 group C presented a higher level of HDL (48.7 ± 2.4 vs. 45.00 ± 5.6; P = 0.01) and a lower LDL:HDL ratio (2.41 ± 0.8 vs. 3.1 ± 0.8; P = 0.04). Reductions in BMI were observed in both groups at T2 (P < 0.05), but only group C exhibited a reduction in WC (P = 0.005). Group S presented an increase (P < 0.05) in total cholesterol, LDL and LDL:HDL ratio, whilst HDL diminished (P = 0.03). Such alterations were not observed in group C. It appears that dietetic supplementation with coconut oil does not cause dyslipidemia and seems to promote a reduction in abdominal obesity.

Here's an lpa study with 3 diets 1) high fat with Coconut Oil (2) low fat with Coconut oil (3) High fat with poly and mono saturated fat

A diet rich in coconut oil reduces diurnal postprandial variations in circulating tissue plasminogen activator antigen and fasting lipoprotein (a) compared with a diet rich in unsaturated fat in women.

Müller H, Lindman AS, Blomfeldt A, Seljeflot I, Pedersen JI.
University College of Akershus, 1356 Bekkestua, Norway. hanne.muller@ihf.nlh.no

The effects of high and low fat diets with identical polyunsaturated/saturated fatty acid (P/S) ratios on plasma postprandial levels of some hemostatic variables and on fasting lipoprotein (a) [Lp(a)] are not known. This controlled crossover study compared the effects of a high fat diet [38.4% of energy (E%) from fat; HSAFA-diet, P/S ratio 0.14], a low fat diet (19.7 E% from fat; LSAFA-diet, P/S ratio 0.17), both based on coconut oil, and a diet with a high content of monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA) and PUFA (38.2 E% from fat; HUFA-diet, P/S ratio 1.9) on diurnal postprandial levels of some hemostatic variables (n = 11) and fasting levels of Lp(a) (n = 25). The postprandial plasma concentration of tissue plasminogen activator antigen (t-PA antigen) was decreased when the women consumed the HSAFA-diet compared with the HUFA-diet (P = 0.02). Plasma t-PA antigen was correlated with plasminogen activator inhibitor type 1 (PAI-1) activity when the participants consumed all three diets (Rs = 0.78, P < 0.01; Rs = 0.76, P < 0.01; Rs = 0.66, P = 0.03; on the HSAFA-, the LSAFA- and the HUFA-diet, respectively), although the diets did not affect the PAI-1 levels. There were no significant differences in postprandial variations in t-PA activity, factor VII coagulant activity or fibrinogen levels due to the diets. Serum fasting Lp(a) levels were lower when women consumed the HSAFA-diet (13%, P < 0.001) and tended to be lower when they consumed the LSAFA-diet (5.3%, P = 0.052) than when they consumed the HUFA-diet. Serum Lp(a) concentrations did not differ when the women consumed the HSAFA- and LSAFA-diets. In conclusion, our results indicate that a coconut oil-based diet (HSAFA-diet) lowers postprandial t-PA antigen concentration, and this may favorably affect the fibrinolytic system and the Lp(a) concentration compared with the HUFA-diet. The proportions of dietary saturated fatty acids more than the percentage of saturated fat energy seem to have a beneficial influence on Lp(a) levels.

Publication Types: Comparative Study
Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't

PMID: 14608053 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

#119 Blue

• 1,104 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:29 PM

The first one - double blind Coconut Oil vs Soybean Oil:

Monica L. Assunção1, Haroldo S. Ferreira1 , Aldenir F. dos Santos2, Cyro R. Cabral Jr1 and Telma M. M. T. Florêncio1
(1) Faculdade de Nutrição, Universidade Federal de Alagoas, Maceió, AL, 57072-970, Brazil
(2) Faculdade de Ciências Biológicas e da Saúde, Fundação Jayme de Altavila, Maceió, AL, 57051-160, Brazil

Here's an lpa study with 3 diets 1) high fat with Coconut Oil (2) low fat with Coconut oil (3) High fat with poly and mono saturated fat

A diet rich in coconut oil reduces diurnal postprandial variations in circulating tissue plasminogen activator antigen and fasting lipoprotein (a) compared with a diet rich in unsaturated fat in women.

Müller H, Lindman AS, Blomfeldt A, Seljeflot I, Pedersen JI.
University College of Akershus, 1356 Bekkestua, Norway. hanne.muller@ihf.nlh.no

The effects of high and low fat diets with identical polyunsaturated/saturated fatty acid (P/S) ratios on plasma postprandial levels of some hemostatic variables and on fasting lipoprotein (a) [Lp(a)] are not known. This controlled crossover study compared the effects of a high fat diet [38.4% of energy (E%) from fat; HSAFA-diet, P/S ratio 0.14], a low fat diet (19.7 E% from fat; LSAFA-diet, P/S ratio 0.17), both based on coconut oil, and a diet with a high content of monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA) and PUFA (38.2 E% from fat; HUFA-diet, P/S ratio 1.9) on diurnal postprandial levels of some hemostatic variables (n = 11) and fasting levels of Lp(a) (n = 25). The postprandial plasma concentration of tissue plasminogen activator antigen (t-PA antigen) was decreased when the women consumed the HSAFA-diet compared with the HUFA-diet (P = 0.02). Plasma t-PA antigen was correlated with plasminogen activator inhibitor type 1 (PAI-1) activity when the participants consumed all three diets (Rs = 0.78, P < 0.01; Rs = 0.76, P < 0.01; Rs = 0.66, P = 0.03; on the HSAFA-, the LSAFA- and the HUFA-diet, respectively), although the diets did not affect the PAI-1 levels. There were no significant differences in postprandial variations in t-PA activity, factor VII coagulant activity or fibrinogen levels due to the diets. Serum fasting Lp(a) levels were lower when women consumed the HSAFA-diet (13%, P < 0.001) and tended to be lower when they consumed the LSAFA-diet (5.3%, P = 0.052) than when they consumed the HUFA-diet. Serum Lp(a) concentrations did not differ when the women consumed the HSAFA- and LSAFA-diets. In conclusion, our results indicate that a coconut oil-based diet (HSAFA-diet) lowers postprandial t-PA antigen concentration, and this may favorably affect the fibrinolytic system and the Lp(a) concentration compared with the HUFA-diet. The proportions of dietary saturated fatty acids more than the percentage of saturated fat energy seem to have a beneficial influence on Lp(a) levels.

Publication Types: Comparative Study
Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't

PMID: 14608053 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Again, soybean oil is a high omega-6 fat which was not was I was asking for. In the second study it is unclear what polyunsaturated fats were used and how much. I repeat, when compared directly with monounsaturated fats coconut oil is worse:

#120 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:35 AM

I still want to disagree with you.

A study that compares MCTs and Olive Oil:

Weight-loss diet that includes consumption of medium-chain triacylglycerol oil leads to a greater rate of weight and fat mass loss than does olive oil.
St-Onge MP, Bosarge A.

College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University and New York Obesity Research Center, St Luke's/Roosevelt Hospital, New York, NY 10025, USA. ms2554@columbia.edu

BACKGROUND: Clinical studies have shown that consumption of medium-chain triacylglycerols (MCTs) leads to greater energy expenditure than does consumption of long-chain triacylglycerols. Such studies suggest that MCT consumption may be useful for weight management. OBJECTIVE: We aimed to determine whether consumption of MCT oil improves body weight and fat loss compared with olive oil when consumed as part of a weight-loss program. DESIGN: Forty-nine overweight men and women, aged 19-50 y, consumed either 18-24 g/d of MCT oil or olive oil as part of a weight-loss program for 16 wk. Subjects received weekly group weight-loss counseling. Body weight and waist circumference were measured weekly. Adipose tissue distribution was assessed at baseline and at the endpoint by use of dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry and computed tomography. RESULTS: Thirty-one subjects completed the study (body mass index: 29.8 +/- 0.4, in kg/m(2)). MCT oil consumption resulted in lower endpoint body weight than did olive oil (-1.67 +/- 0.67 kg, unadjusted P = 0.013). There was a trend toward greater loss of fat mass (P = 0.071) and trunk fat mass (P = 0.10) with MCT consumption than with olive oil. Endpoint trunk fat mass, total fat mass, and intraabdominal adipose tissue were all lower with MCT consumption than with olive oil consumption (all unadjusted P values < 0.05). CONCLUSIONS: Consumption of MCT oil as part of a weight-loss plan improves weight loss compared with olive oil and can thus be successfully included in a weight-loss diet. Small changes in the quality of fat intake can therefore be useful to enhance weight loss.

PMID: 18326600 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Dietary mono- and polyunsaturated fatty acids similarly affect LDL size in healthy men and women.

Kratz M, et al. J Nutr. 2002 Apr;132(4):715-8.

The goal of this study was to investigate the effect of the dietary fat composition on LDL peak particle diameter. Therefore, we measured LDL size by gradient gel electrophoresis in 56 (30 men, 26 women) healthy participants in a controlled dietary study. First, all participants received a baseline diet rich in saturated fat for 2 wk; they were then randomly assigned to one of three dietary treatments, which contained refined olive oil [rich in monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA), n = 18], rapeseed oil [rich in MUFA and (n-3)-polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA), n = 18], or sunflower oil [rich in (n-6)-PUFA, n = 20] as the principal source of fat for 4 wk. Repeated-measures ANOVA revealed a small, but significant reduction in LDL size during the oil diet phase (-0.36 nm, P = 0.012), which did not differ significantly among the three groups (P = 0.384). Furthermore, affiliation with one of the three diet groups did not contribute significantly to the observed variation in LDL size (P = 0.690). In conclusion, our data indicate that dietary unsaturated fat similarly R E D U C E S LDL size relative to saturated fat. However, the small magnitude of this reduction also suggests that the composition of dietary fat is not a major factor affecting LDL size.
PMID: 11925466

Edited by hamishm00, 17 November 2009 - 11:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users