- - - - -

MFURI+Imminst

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 09:35 PM

I interviewed Kelsey Moody (MFURI developer) for the Sunday Update and I met him at the UABBA conference. Both times we talked about possible collaboration between the two organizations.

Homepage here.

Kelsey's proposals for funding and structure here.

In the second proposal he asks for Alcor and Imminst to match the MF scholarship amount of $2,000. In my meetings with him I have said this is a possibility but it would have to of course be approved by the board of directors and maybe even put up for a member vote.

I am in support of collaborating with MFURI, not only monetarily but in other ways as well, whatever form those "other" ways might be. Maybe publicity. Maybe an advisory role. I am also in support of helping MFURI because it has a dedicated volunteer right now (Kelsey), has some momentum, has the support of MF, and because it is always good to strike the iron while it is hot. Kelsey as said he would put an Immortality Institute sponsor banner on the MFURI website (after all we drive the most traffic to his site) so it would be nice visibility for Imminst.

If you think the $2,000 is too much then maybe we could vote for a smaller amount of scholarship or grant money.

#2 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 11:42 PM

I think this is a great opportunity to sponsor research (at least in a small way) - something that many Imminst members have been asking for throughout the years. It will continue to strengthen the ties between MF and Imminst and generate visibility among the college age crowd. If there is something Imminst could use more of is young enthusiastic members.

The F@H prize, a possible 2nd book publication, the streaming content, and perhaps now a scholarship/research program are all signs that Imminst is moving beyond just being a forum. I see a MFURI as great opportunity to continue growth in a new direction and to advance the mission.

#3 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 11:50 PM

I think it would be awesome.

#4 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:38 PM

I think this is a great opportunity to sponsor research (at least in a small way) - something that many Imminst members have been asking for throughout the years. It will continue to strengthen the ties between MF and Imminst and generate visibility among the college age crowd. If there is something Imminst could use more of is young enthusiastic members.

The F@H prize, a possible 2nd book publication, the streaming content, and perhaps now a scholarship/research program are all signs that Imminst is moving beyond just being a forum. I see a MFURI as great opportunity to continue growth in a new direction and to advance the mission.

I also think it is a great opportunity. You hit the nail on the head, Mind, these types of ties, promotions, and call to arms is what will and are making ImmInst a community and not 'just a forum'. For me, it is hard to think of a better call to arms to try and support given ImmInst's resources.

I am surprised none of the directorship have chimed in.

#5 Richard Leis

• 866 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:31 PM

I only talked to Kelsey briefly at the Aging 2008 event, but was immediately impressed by his enthusiasm. I was also impressed by the other undergraduates who participated and volunteered. These are passionate young people who are looking for ways to help out. I think ImmInst support of this initiative would be fantastic, and I hope we can find other ways to collaborate in the future.

#6 Aegist

• Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:13 PM

As far as I am concerned ImmInst only exists so that we can support organisations and initiatives such as MFURI. ImmInst is the community - the community that wants to see advancements made regardless of who makes them. I completely support any form of sponsorship.

#7 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:57 PM

I think it is great, I wish that the donation could be more than 2,000.00 :) It is a great start though, and sets a good example--hopefully other organizations will follow suit.

#8 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 06:16 PM

ImmInst can consider financial support to MFURI-preselected candidates provided the following conditions are met:
-- an independent review panel of sufficient expertise recommends a suitable candidate
-- the candidate's contribution is in the field of life extension etc.

I don't think that ImmInst can consider structural financial support for MFURI itself at this stage, but a joining channels of communication is certainly desirable.

#9 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 07:11 PM

I don't think that ImmInst can consider structural financial support for MFURI itself at this stage, but a joining channels of communication is certainly desirable.

I was thinking this would be a one-time matching of their initial scholarship ($2,000). Any other structural financial support or another scholarship match in the future would have to be approved.

#10 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:08 PM

Kelsey informs me that Methuselah will be putting together a scholarship review panel. Perhaps a member of Imminst leadership could apply to be a member of this panel, since we would be providing at least half of the scholarship money. Or maybe Imminst Board would like to see who is on the review panel before officially approving the scholarship fund.

#11 caliban

• 9,152 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:25 PM

Perhaps a member of Imminst leadership could apply to be a member of this panel, since we would be providing at least half of the scholarship money.

Definitely. Volunteers please contact Mind.

Or maybe Imminst Board would like to see who is on the review panel before officially approving the scholarship fund.

There is no "maybe" about it - although I have faith in MF that they will be able to put up a good panel.

Is there an intended launch date? Most candidates will be interested in securing a stipend for the autumn semester.

#12 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:28 PM

Perhaps a member of Imminst leadership could apply to be a member of this panel, since we would be providing at least half of the scholarship money.

I could be the default person on the panel if no one else steps up...just to expedite this potentially very synergistic relationship, that is, if no one else volunteers. I don't have a bio-science background, which is a drawback.

#13 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 03:38 AM

Which of the leadership have a bioscience background? If none step forward then Ide think youde be the best bet. You stay pretty well read and informed.

Mind, let me know if you think its a good idea to list imminst as a cause beneficiary at http://www.guidestar.org/ I would do it but you need to have the authorization and non profit status code numbers and all that or whatever.

Ill then create a cause box for it. I work with the Methuselah Foundation and CEL myspace cause boxes, they are all powered by guidestar. There are other people in myspace that help recruit and raise funds with it too, like Cody, I think Jotun is in imminst too right? We are a bit lax about it, if we were to take a ball, like a Methuselah Foundation Undergraduate Research fund box with Imminst as its beneficiary, and run with it, I know we could put up some decent numbers. At least $1,000.00. I know facebook has successful cause boxes in it too like you were saying but Im not to familiar with it.

If we ever change the name I would start a cause box just for imminst itself too.

Edited by brokenportal, 31 July 2008 - 04:18 AM.

#14 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 04:08 AM

Which of the leadership have a bioscience background?

Quite a few. If my memory serves, I count at least 7 without counting the obvious advisors.

I hate to see even more stuff put on Mind's shoulders, but I agree that he would be good in that position.

#15 caliban

• 9,152 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 12:49 PM

There seemed to be general agreement at the board meeting yesterday that Mind may not be the best person to lumber with this.

We are still encouraging nominations and members to step forward.

Mind, let me know if you think its a good idea to list imminst as a cause beneficiary at http://www.guidestar.org/ I would do it but you need to have the authorization and non profit status code numbers and all that or whatever.

Ill then create a cause box for it. I work with the Methuselah Foundation and CEL myspace cause boxes, they are all powered by guidestar. There are other people in myspace that help recruit and raise funds with it too, like Cody, I think Jotun is in imminst too right? We are a bit lax about it, if we were to take a ball, like a Methuselah Foundation Undergraduate Research fund box with Imminst as its beneficiary, and run with it, I know we could put up some decent numbers. At least $1,000.00. I know facebook has successful cause boxes in it too like you were saying but Im not to familiar with it.

Sorry brokenportal, you have lost me there. Could you explain your proposal to the uninitiated?

Edited by caliban, 31 July 2008 - 12:51 PM.
typo

#16 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 31 July 2008 - 01:32 PM

I think this is a valuable first step but I concur with Caliban with respect to his points:

ImmInst can consider financial support to MFURI-preselected candidates provided the following conditions are met:
-- an independent review panel of sufficient expertise recommends a suitable candidate

However the qualifications for our representative can vary but any candidate should be as objective as possible and not tainted by any conflicts of interests with respect to the awards. No voting for relatives or personal students etc.

The second point is more complex because what is still lacking is a clear standard of what the assessment guidelines for both the candidates application and evaluation standards are. Nevertheless the goal should be clear that the candidates efforts are demonstrably contributory to the field of life extension. How they are contributory needs to be better defined, clarified, presented, and applied (adjudicated).

#17 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 01:46 PM

Let me add something to the first issue:

I would prefer that a recognized legitimate authority (like a university department head or rep) make an endorsement of the candidate but I am not sure that it should be *required* as much as *recommended,* and stated as an additional criteria.

I would like to see the ability for independent talented candidates to be able to apply regardless of *professional* endorsements so their individual efforts and ideas can be evaluated. However the *recommendation* in our rules would also state upfront that such endorsements would contribute to the panel's favorable review of the candidates' proposal.

I think this should be seen as a form of annual competition more than a scholarship per se. A limited number of awards for the best proposals. As the award fund grows, so hopefully will the number of candidates and the number of annual award grants. If such an idea can grow by attracting endorsements and sponsors then the *fund* can also hopefully grow to the point when it becomes a true endowment or trust. It then becomes a self perpetuating idea and ever present on the annual list of funding options students engage for help but it can also begin taking on the more complex job of really providing student scholarships and eventually funding real research at the graduate level.

#18 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 02:39 PM

There seemed to be general agreement at the board meeting yesterday that Mind may not be the best person to lumber with this.

We are still encouraging nominations and members to step forward.

Sorry brokenportal, you have lost me there. Could you explain your proposal to the uninitiated?

There is a little add you can make for any cause you choose to make it too. I do it in myspace but I think the cause box can be coded/embeded in other places too. Anyways, I want to make an MFURI box, its takes about a second, and then have Imminst be the beneficiary of any funds I raise in that cause box. In order for me to be able to choose Imminst as a beneficiary, Imminst has to be registered as a charity at guidestar.org

#19 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:13 PM

I'll take a look at guidestar Eric. As long as it is free, I don't see any harm in it. Imminst ended up with a few bucks through facebook causes as well.

#20 caliban

• 9,152 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:08 AM

Laz: Institutional endorsement is an almost implicit condition. The stipend is not large enough do do much garage science. It would be good to see the supervisor is supportive though.

Brokenportal & Mind: ImInst is already registered at guidestar as a matter of course, but it may be nice to give them further details.

#21 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 03:13 AM

I did finally find Imminst there. It is registered as Immortality Institute Inc. If they deposit these funds in an imminst account, has the account remained the same?

#22 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:48 AM

stipend: n. A fixed and regular payment, such as a salary for services rendered or an allowance.

grant: n. A giving of funds for a specific purpose: federal grants for medical research.

grant-in-aid (plural grants-in-aid)

1. The giving of national funds to subsidize a local or regional project.
2. Providing funds to an institution (such as a school) or person to subsidize a specific project or activity, such as a scholarship.

award: n. A trophy, medal or prize (money etc); something that denotes an accomplishment, especially in a competition.

scholarship: Synonyms

* (money): allowance, grant, stipend, subsidy, bursary

I put that set of definitions up because I hope it will be helpful to focus the discussion. This is the type of simple word that we all assume we are using the same way and often are not.

Caliban is correct that the amount is not even sufficient for garage science and for that reason I have been emphasizing more the *award* concept to start but long term the idea is to help the supporting fund grow to where it can support true research grants and scholarship(s).

Another advantage of the award approach is the element of competition between the candidates. This approach can produce a lot of interesting ideas for the panel to review annually. Most might redundant or even absurd but often a few will be innovative and ingenious meriting recognition and thus an *award*.

I think for us here at Imminst the important element is to get the process started and begin putting our resources where they can do the most good and begin developing a core idea that can grow with time. Even though we would start small the effort would still have immediate positive impact.

#23 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:07 PM

Caliban is correct that the amount is not even sufficient for garage science and for that reason I have been emphasizing more the *award* concept to start but long term the idea is to help the supporting fund grow to where it can support true research grants and scholarship(s).

Award, grant, whatever...MFURI has to start somewhere, and starting from scratch means that million dollars are not just lying around waiting to be used to start up a shiny research lab - fully staffed. Think of it a seed money to kickstart and bootstrap the effort.

Kelsey had a meeting with MF and they do not want to give a panel seat to Imminst because they do not want to set a precedent of giving away seats to every donor. Seems unlikely to happen, but it is a reasonable request. Kelsey mentioned a grant option as well, where Imminst could have full control over what undergraduate project would be funded. He would like to have a conference call with the Board. I will invite him to the Thursday (5pm central) open Board meeting.

#24 Illuminatusdarksoul

• 57 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:45 PM

Yes Caliban- collaboration and communication is probably more valuble than a few thousand dollars here and there (not that funding MFURI is not an excellent way of bringing your community together to achieve results). I would be more interested in a collaboration of minds to come up with MFURI projects. For instance-if a buzz was created around the forum to come up with actual literature and computer science projects. Perhaps you could run a competition for project creation here at ImmInst?

As I may have mentioned when we met- we have a technological program that is understaffed and undervalued due to a lack of computer scientists and theoreticians in the technology field.

In view of such a collaboration-if you chose to have the second ImmInst book as an update rather than a specialisation perhaps MFURI staff would be apt at writing a peice for such a book. I personally would write something if I had a specification.

[Aside] It is my personal opinion that any project funded by ImmInst should be ran past the MF board of scientists as the laboratory projects for MFURI are and the student chosen by MFURI staff. I feel that it is never very professional for sponsors to dictate where the finances of a charity go when there are more qualified individuals to do this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users