- - - - -

When do you reach your physical peak?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:04 AM

When do you really reach your absolute physical peak? I've heard some saying as early as 18 and some as late as 25. When do you really start "aging"?

#2 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:20 AM

I was at my physical peak when I was zero.

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#3 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:04 AM

Never.

#4 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 05:53 PM

For me, it was the year from 18 to 19 years of age, when I was athletically at my peak, muscles and endurance wise (atrophied since, lost perhaps 50-80% of muscle, half of endurance power/ stamina, though can still finish a marathon race if pushed to do so, and can probably lift a small desk if threatened by force)and i guess mentally too. In all my previous life, I never felt as sharp as when I reached 18, when I took the SAT test and scored 1420/1600 (verbal 700, math 720) and so only missed about 18 questions when I ONLY Studied "half-heartedly" for two (2) months before the SATs. i wish i studied more and got perfect score or at least 1520+. Don't know what 1420 correlates on IQ score but I think my IQ didn't improve for at least 4-5 years. I tested an online version of some stupid IQ test and got ~135 when i was 14 years old. I just wish my intelligence keeps on increasing by leaps and bounds. After I got to college, I think I got lazy or discouraged, what's more, i actually believe that i really felt dumber and weaker. i guess the brain develops to about 100% mental capacity by Year 18 as I read somewhere. I don't like limits, especially limited in that sense. I hope i didn't go through mental atrophy like I did physically. The organs and tissues I care about are listed in this order, in order of importance to me: Brain, other really Vital organs like the heart, my genitals (not just masturbation , seriously, if no "immortality", then i need descendents. if i'm immortal, then i may not want any children) , my skin, muscles

If I can be forever young, I'd like to be eternally "frozen" at that stage, somewhere between 18 to 20 years old appearance, physical-wise, but mentally-wise (no pun intended) , as wise as a person who is hundreds if not thousands of years old, when i live that long. know what i'm saying? don't know if that will ever happen, well, i guess frozen in my early 20s and don't lose anything from there is good too, but our tech is not at that stage yet

Edited by HYP86, 06 July 2008 - 06:26 PM.

#5 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:09 AM

I think my physical peak was probably about 21-22 but at that age I was still very inexperienced and ignorant.
The most valuable thing a man has is the ability to produce sperm so that a woman can reproduce.

#6 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:23 AM

My physical peak was when i was 16, did weight lifting 4 times a week and also used to swimm every other day, apart from practicing tae kwon do.

Now i don't practice anything other than football every weekend, which always leaves me with a backache and headache, and i'm only 20 lol. Figure pushing the body to the extreme once a week only, without it being fit, might do more evil than good.

I will get back to exercising though, as soon as i can organize my life better again, now its sort of chaotic.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 spaceistheplace

• 397 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:41 AM

I'm 22 and still don't feel anywhere near my physical peak.

#8 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:44 AM

You start aging in utero.

When you reach your physical and mental peaks is a good question. In both cases, it will be a function of training. The potential for physical strength and athletic performance may be higher when you are in your early 20's, but if you started training late, or if your training improves over time, you may push the peak out later. Your mind is probably at it's physical peak in your early to mid 20's, but there is still a lot of programming to be done to it. In some areas of intellectual pursuit, people tend to do their best work in their mid thirties. You are not even allowed to be the President of the US until you have attained the age of 35. (Other qualifications may apply.) So... depending on your history and exactly what it is you are trying to do, it will vary.

#9 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:56 AM

I expect to reach my physical peak in some number of thousands or millions of years.

#10 spacetime

• 191 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 04:05 AM

What metrics are you judging physical peak by? Recovery seemed to peak at 19-20 as did libido. But the ability to increase enduracne, strength, muscle all seem to be consistently improving with age. Of course proper training and supplementation play critical aspects. As for mental acuity and the ability to multi-task and reaction times, I would venture around 23-25. But experience has been far more valuable.

#11 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 03:58 PM

What metrics are you judging physical peak by? Recovery seemed to peak at 19-20 as did libido. But the ability to increase enduracne, strength, muscle all seem to be consistently improving with age. Of course proper training and supplementation play critical aspects. As for mental acuity and the ability to multi-task and reaction times, I would venture around 23-25. But experience has been far more valuable.

Yep, sports wise people, depending on the discipline, peak much later. Mostly thanks to their "supplementation" even many master lifters can put up incredible numbers.
However, AFAIK speed/explosive-strength starts to decline way earlier than max. strength or endurance.
I am sure it is impossible to be at your physical peak at the age of 16. 18, maybe. The only variable that is better when you're younger is regeneration..

When do you peak mentally? Well, the older the wiser, the more life experience thus you peak before the mental decline of old-age sets in.
IQ wise? I'd guess in the 20s, rarely at 18 years like HYP86 implies. I've heard that people normally increase their IQ throughout university..

#12 David

• 618 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 03:28 PM

At 44 now, I'd have to say my physical peak was probably around 25ish.

I never needed to warm up before exercise or exertion. I recovered from injury quickly. I could stay out all night and cope the next day. I could eat just about anything and not put on any weight. My feet could take any pounding I threw at them. My joints dealt with whatever weight I could push at them, although I never really felt that I could increase muscle mass all that much. Libido and sexual stamina were virtually inexhaustable.

Now, I'm not doing too badly, but I have to take it a lot easier, watch my diet, warm up before running or resistance exercise. My many broken bones ache, although so far I can cope.

Aging is nasty. Full stop.

Dave

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#13 VictorBjoerk

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 03:43 PM

It seems to me that physical ability is quite good until early 60's and then suddenly goes down a lot.It seems to me like people tend to age much more between 60-65 than between 25-30.........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users