Photo
- - - - -

Modafinil M&M Article

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 dopamine

• 210 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:42 PM

I recently wrote an article for Mind & Muscle on Modafinil (link). I know modafinil is a common drug of discussion on this board, and hopefully installment of articles will clear up some of the details behind the mechanism of action and human use potential. I encourage anyone who is interested in the pharmacology of modafinil to read it. Feedback welcome.

#2 Rags847

• 362 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:08 PM

Awesome contribution, Dopamine! Thanks for alerting us. When is Part II and III due to be posted?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 DanielSon

• 53 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 02:07 PM

I recently wrote an article for Mind & Muscle on Modafinil (link). I know modafinil is a common drug of discussion on this board, and hopefully installment of articles will clear up some of the details behind the mechanism of action and human use potential. I encourage anyone who is interested in the pharmacology of modafinil to read it. Feedback welcome.

Awesome, heavy and detailed first installment there Dopamine! Funny how science evolves and how the knowledge basin widens all the time!

#4 dopamine

• Topic Starter
  • 210 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:05 PM

Awesome contribution, Dopamine! Thanks for alerting us. When is Part II and III due to be posted?

The section on pharmacology is two-parts, so the next article appearing next month will be an extension of the last (it was originally one large article). Parts 3 & 4 will be on clinical use and animal/human studies.

#5 dr_chaos

• 143 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:57 AM

Very impressing. :)

#6 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 04:53 PM

Why is there so much interest in modafinil on imminst.org etc? does it help with life extension?

I only looked into modafinil when I thought about finding an alternative to caffeine. but Provigil in US is a prescription drug, heavily regulated and everything.

Provigil is expensive too, though the part of w/o serious side effects sounds good to me. I first thought of provigil as a study drug, but i figure the money should be better spent on books and tutors if i want extra academic help. But does it also help with life, longevity, LE, happiness etc? I will definitely need to pull more all-nighters at times in the future and I just don't like coffee that much, occasionally take caffiene pills like NoDoz , JetAlert

#7 dopamine

• Topic Starter
  • 210 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 02:52 AM

Part II of the pharmacology section is up (link)

#8 brotherx

• 313 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:15 PM

Hi Dopamine,

could you re-post your articles here on imminst - as the access on the other board is denied!

Cheers

Alex

Part II of the pharmacology section is up (link)

#9 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:39 PM

Why is there so much interest in modafinil on imminst.org etc? does it help with life extension?

If you would notice, we are in the nootropics sub-forum of supplements. Nootropics are cognitive enhancers. Really, they have nothing to do with life-extension yet kind of go hand in hand knowing that a good brain leads to good physical health and vice versa. We talk about amphetamines and everything in hear even though we know that they are definitely not conducive to life-extension.

I only looked into modafinil when I thought about finding an alternative to caffeine.

Try chocamine, l-tyrosine, l-phenylalanine, alcar + ala combo, or sulbutiamine. These are all much better choices than modifinil. And don't forget the basics of adequate sleep, good sleep patterns, good diet, and a good exercise regimen.

edit: just like to also add that IMHO modafinil is CRAP!

Edited by luv2increase, 30 July 2008 - 10:40 PM.

#10 dopamine

• Topic Starter
  • 210 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:17 AM

Depending on what you're using it for, modafinil can be crap, but it is, I think, a much healthier option in treating excessive tiredness/fatigue and ADD than the amphetamine-class stimulants. In fact modafinil was very close to being approved by the FDA for treating ADD, but was rejected based on the appearance of a rare skin rash that in a very small number of patients led to Steven-Johnson's syndrome (and only appears in pediatric and early teenage populations).

But the side-effects are for some people too much, and the benefits do not outweigh the negative impact of the drug. But the development of modafinil was, in my view, a positive step in the research on stimulants, and has helped elucidate the intricacies and complexities of wakefulness as a neurophysiological and biochemical state.

#11 ikaros

• 334 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 02:21 PM

Depending on what you're using it for, modafinil can be crap, but it is, I think, a much healthier option in treating excessive tiredness/fatigue and ADD than the amphetamine-class stimulants. In fact modafinil was very close to being approved by the FDA for treating ADD, but was rejected based on the appearance of a rare skin rash that in a very small number of patients led to Steven-Johnson's syndrome (and only appears in pediatric and early teenage populations).

But the side-effects are for some people too much, and the benefits do not outweigh the negative impact of the drug. But the development of modafinil was, in my view, a positive step in the research on stimulants, and has helped elucidate the intricacies and complexities of wakefulness as a neurophysiological and biochemical state.

I would like to add that my own view of modafinil in the beginning was toward the negative, however having compared it to other stimulant drugs, I must say it is truly a wonderpiece pharmaceutical considering it's high selectiveness for wakefulness promoting neuronal pathways in the brain, virtually leaving other physiological functions untouched, whereas amphetamines slash methylphenidate etc are somewhat sloppy drugs. Side-effects from modafinil are a sign that you don't need the drug in a sense that you already posess optimum vigilance and more becomes deleterious. Overall one very practical drug. Cheers.

#12 sharp

• 3 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:20 PM

Can general practitioner prescribe modafinil?

#13 Galantamine

• 209 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 06:01 PM

Can general practitioner prescribe modafinil?

Any drug FDA approved can be prescribed by a licensed MD.

And yes, modafinil is approved by the FDA.

#14 jCole

• 211 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:27 PM

Modafinil has by far been one of the best pharms I've taken. I could go on and on about how much this stuff changed my life, in some aspects. (for the better) But I'm at work and time is limited. Perhaps later. ;o)

Edited by jCole, 04 August 2008 - 08:28 PM.

#15 yoyo

• 582 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 05:30 AM

The link is broken, could someone link to this article thanks?

#16 Rags847

• 362 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 06:17 AM

http://www.mindandmuscle.net/authors

Hmm... that's odd. Nothing's listed when you click on "Dopamine".

Edited by Rags847, 06 August 2008 - 06:23 AM.

#17 dopamine

• Topic Starter
  • 210 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:18 PM

The article was removed at my request (due to my being banned), but I'll be re-publishing it at Imminst very soon.

#18 Rags847

• 362 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 01:58 AM

The article was removed at my request (due to my being banned), but I'll be re-publishing it at Imminst very soon.

Cool. It was mentioned at the ImmInst Sunday Evening Update this last Sunday that you might be doing articles for ImmInst that would appear on the front page of this site. Have any others in the works?

What got ya banned from the Muscle And Steroid site?

Edited by Rags847, 07 August 2008 - 01:59 AM.

#19 dopamine

• Topic Starter
  • 210 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 01:37 AM

Cool. It was mentioned at the ImmInst Sunday Evening Update this last Sunday that you might be doing articles for ImmInst that would appear on the front page of this site. Have any others in the works?

What got ya banned from the Muscle And Steroid site?

I have some other ideas in the works for articles more directly related to the goals of the Institute (for example: ashwagandha, Huperzine A, piracetam).

The whole M&M ban situation is explained here.

#20 Rags847

• 362 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 03:54 AM

I have some other ideas in the works for articles more directly related to the goals of the Institute (for example: ashwagandha, Huperzine A, piracetam).

Awesome, Dopamine.

Do you have access to the recent FDA studies on Huperzine A (full-text)?
There has been some discussion of Hup A on here lately (pro and con) [here for example] and I've only seen this FDA-funded Phase Ib study so far:

A very recent study here (part of the FDA's clinical trial of Huperzine A):

1: Chem Biol Interact. 2008 May 3. [Epub ahead of print]Posted Image <script language="JavaScript1.2">Links
Protection of red blood cell acetylcholinesterase by oral huperzine A against ex vivo soman exposure: Next generation prophylaxis and sequestering of acetylcholinesterase over butyrylcholinesterase.
Haigh JR, Johnston SR, Peppernay A, Mattern PJ, Garcia GE, Doctor BP, Gordon RK, Aisen PS. Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Division of Biochemistry, 503 Robert Grant Road, Silver Spring, MD 20910-7500, USA.

As part of a phase Ib clinical trial to determine the tolerability and safety of the highly specific acetylcholinesterase (AChE) inhibitor huperzine A, twelve (12) healthy elderly individuals received an escalating dose regimen of huperzine A (100, 200, 300, and 400mug doses, twice daily for a week at each dose), with three (3) individuals as controls receiving a placebo. Using the WRAIR whole blood cholinesterase assay, red blood cell AChE and plasma butyrylcholinesterase (BChE) were measured in unprocessed whole blood samples from the volunteers following each dose, and then for up to 48h following the final and highest (400mug) dose to monitor the profile of inhibition and recovery of AChE. Significant inhibition of AChE was observed, ranging from 30-40% after 100mug to >50% at 400mug, and peaking 1.5h after the last dose. Gradual recovery of AChE activity then occurs, but even 48h after the last dose red blood cell AChE was about 10% below control (pre-dose) values. Huperzine A levels in plasma peaked 1.5h after the final 400mug dose (5.47+/-2.15ng/mL). Plasma BChE was unaffected by huperzine A treatment (as expected). Aliquots of huperzine A-containing (from three individuals) and placebo blood samples were exposed ex vivo to the irreversible nerve agent soman (GD) for 10min, followed by removal of unbound huperzine and soman from the blood by passing through a small C(18) reverse phase spin column. Eluted blood was diluted in buffer, and aliquots taken at various time intervals for AChE and BChE activity measurement to determine the time taken to achieve full return in activity of the free enzyme (dissociation from the active site of AChE by huperzine A), and thus the proportion of AChE that can be protected from soman exposure. Huperzine A-inhibited red blood cell (RBC) AChE activity was restored almost to the level that was initially inhibited by the drug. The increased doses of huperzine A used were well tolerated by these patients and in this ex vivo study sequestered more red blood cell AChE than has been previously demonstrated for pyridostigmine bromide (PB), indicating the potential improved prophylaxis against organophosphate (OP) poisoning.

PMID: 18572153 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher].

Edited by Rags847, 08 August 2008 - 04:01 AM.

#21 dopamine

• Topic Starter
  • 210 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 08:20 PM

The article is now hosted at http://www.socraticism.com

The website will contain all my long, research oriented writings from here on out. So keep checking it out, I'll be updating with some great articles soon.

#22 steelsky

• 412 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 08:46 PM

The link is for an articles list... Sadly I couldn't find the specific article. Please link directly to it.

As far as my two cents - it seems like Modafinil's effect is the clearest of being actually nootropic, meaning enhancing cognitive abilities in HEALTHY subjects. This is a great step and wonderful benefit, regardless of the drug's abilities to treat specific conditions such as ADD or fatigue. I really don't know much about its mechanism (and it doesn't seem like it is well known at all), but from what I've read about results - it is far superior to any currently common drugs which are intended for increasing focus, alertness and memory functions.

As for my own experience - its effect is much similar to Methylphenidate's, only stronger towards wakefulness and milder towards energy. It is also much better "spread", meaning that it is not a "peak boost" type, but has a more prolonged and equal influence (even compared with slow release forms of Methylphenidate, such as Concerta). I consider this a result of its effect on other neurotransmission factors than NE and dopamine, which are pretty much exclusive (or "selective") in Methylphenidate and related meds.

Edited by steelsky, 21 December 2008 - 08:48 PM.

#23 dopamine

• Topic Starter
  • 210 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:02 PM

The link is for an articles list... Sadly I couldn't find the specific article. Please link directly to it.

http://www.socratici.../modafinil1.htm

#24 steelsky

• 412 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:37 AM

Indeed, very interesting. A very unique drug not like anything else known and on a class of its own.

Personal question - can Modafinil substitute anxiety/depression/OCD treatments such as SSRI? Does it effect Serotonin to an enough extent? Were there any worthwhile studies or trails regarding Modafinil as treatment for such disorders?

#25 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:44 AM

Indeed, very interesting. A very unique drug not like anything else known and on a class of its own.

Personal question - can Modafinil substitute anxiety/depression/OCD treatments such as SSRI? Does it effect Serotonin to an enough extent? Were there any worthwhile studies or trails regarding Modafinil as treatment for such disorders?

Modafinil has been prescribed off-label for depression:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modafinil

I have to say that I do feel better while taking it, but it's probably a side effect of having more energy. Today I felt pretty down after taking 100 mg yesterday, but I think that's due to other factors...I turn 26 in 3 minutes.

#26 steelsky

• 412 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 11:05 AM

Modafinil has been prescribed off-label for depression:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modafinil

I have to say that I do feel better while taking it, but it's probably a side effect of having more energy. Today I felt pretty down after taking 100 mg yesterday, but I think that's due to other factors...I turn 26 in 3 minutes.

Off-label yes, but are there any substantial studies/trails?

#27 dopamine

• Topic Starter
  • 210 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:39 PM

The socraticism.com domain is now being forwarded to a wordpress blog, so the direct link to the article is http://socraticism.w...y/pharmacology/

Any requests for articles on specific topics/supplements/drugs?

#28 steelsky

• 412 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 03:05 PM

The socraticism.com domain is now being forwarded to a wordpress blog, so the direct link to the article is http://socraticism.w...y/pharmacology/

Any requests for articles on specific topics/supplements/drugs?

What'cha got? :)

I would really be interested in a comparison of psychiatric drugs regarding their nootropic effect, advantages and disadvantages, mechanisms of action and such. A good reference source would assist many in deciding which to explore.

P.S.
In your article about Modafinil there is no mention of theories/trails/studies regarding the cognitive (specifically memory) improving properties of the drug. It mostly concentrates on the wakefulness promoting properties and the former interests me greatly.

Edited by steelsky, 23 December 2008 - 03:06 PM.

#29 steelsky

• 412 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 05:07 AM

BTW, dopamine - what is YOUR nootropic of choice, or regimen? What did you used to take and what are your conclusions from personal experience?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 StrangeAeons

• Guest, F@H
  • 732 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 01:31 AM

Somebody introduced the emerging trend of low dose naltrexone (LDN) in the Pharmacology subforum. The theory is that it results in an upregulation of opioid receptors/endorphin activity. It appears it is also being used for a host of other disorders seemingly unrelated to pain and addiction. I haven't seen a great deal of science on the matter (though FunkOdyssey has experimented with it and Sheperd is currently trying it). I would appreciate your investigating the matter, because I believe it could be at least as relevant to nootropics, psychotropics, and/or life extension as selegiline.
EDIT: incidentally, are you familiar with the work of David Pearce?

Edited by PetaKiaRose, 26 December 2008 - 01:33 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users