• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Discussion about cryonics

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 06:58 AM

Robin Hanson (of the blog Overcomingbias.com) was on Bloggingheads.tv and one of the topics he discussed was cryonics. They discussed the problems with cryonics, economics, etc. They also touch on life extension in general and why people become irrational when you discuss it. Here is a link to just the part of the conversation on cryonics/life extension (if you would like to watch the whole conversation or other parts, you will need to click on other stuff):
http://bloggingheads...=...3&out=40:49

#2 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 04:46 AM

Thanks, was interesting that Will Wilkinson said he was probably going to do cryonics--lots of people say that of course but never get around to setting it up. I wish Will had not called cryonics 'scientific resurrection'. I really liked the point that we've had the same lifespan for so long, that our whole society is set up to deal with it-and we don't think in the extreme long term naturally.

It is true that people don't want to think about death, but many buy health insurance and care about what laws are passed towards the end of their lives (they don't say in the piece that people do this for their families).

Man, Robin said that he was 'afraid' of dying, that didn't sound well even though he said he felt he was like everyone. Will said he was not afraid of death, because death is nothing--he is only afraid of suffering.

In all the exposure I think is wonderful, or will be from that. I wish Robin had mentioned some of the studies that actually make cryonics look like it will work (such as the various animal organ studies, especially brains with electrical activity after long term cryonics storage). The science wasn't really addressed, but at least it was put out there "as a possibility" (several times :) ) and I'm sure many will look up more on the subject after having watched that.

That would be fun to do (blog head TV) :)

#3 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 07:16 AM

Thanks, was interesting that Will Wilkinson said he was probably going to do cryonics--lots of people say that of course but never get around to setting it up. I wish Will had not called cryonics 'scientific resurrection'. I really liked the point that we've had the same lifespan for so long, that our whole society is set up to deal with it-and we don't think in the extreme long term naturally.

It is true that people don't want to think about death, but many buy health insurance and care about what laws are passed towards the end of their lives (they don't say in the piece that people do this for their families).

Man, Robin said that he was 'afraid' of dying, that didn't sound well even though he said he felt he was like everyone. Will said he was not afraid of death, because death is nothing--he is only afraid of suffering.

In all the exposure I think is wonderful, or will be from that. I wish Robin had mentioned some of the studies that actually make cryonics look like it will work (such as the various animal organ studies, especially brains with electrical activity after long term cryonics storage). The science wasn't really addressed, but at least it was put out there "as a possibility" (several times :) ) and I'm sure many will look up more on the subject after having watched that.

That would be fun to do (blog head TV) :)

You would be an excellent guest on there, Shannon! Most of the guests are political, but they do have at least one or 2 science related guests a week usually.

sponsored ad

• Advert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users