Photo
- - - - -

The Latest Alzheimer's Research

• Please log in to reply
1229 replies to this topic

#601 mag1

• 1,061 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:12 AM

Hmm, so resveratrol can convert cu-2 --> cu-1 (good), though it and cu-2 introduce DNA breakages (not so good).

Suppose you cannot expect to have it all.

BTW where is this quote coming from?

Edited by mag1, 31 December 2015 - 05:12 AM.

#602 resveratrol_guy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:24 PM

I don't advocate consuming Ensure at all. At best, it's loaded with sugar and has no fiber or phytochemicals, so you'd be better off consuming a variety of fruit and vegetable juices loaded with fructose, provided that you supplemented zinc. At worst, it's full of inorganic aqueous metal salts that promote dementia. You're right that, as a medical food, the lead and mercury and arsenic content is probably tightly controlled. But it's the other stuff, such as copper and molybdenum, that would scare me off.

BTW I would call copper-1 "organic" because it occurs in organisms, bound to carbon-bearing molecules; and copper-2 "inorganic" because it fails both of those requirements.

Otzi may have been a violent fellow. I've heard similar evidence to what you presented, and it's certainly consistent with a criminal. Although, there was no legal system in those days, so perhaps he shot the arrows in self-defense. But I don't think he had clicincally significant AD. As you described, he was much too organized and environmentally prepared to fit that description.

I would suggest that you look at Indiegogo. There are more fundraisers over there than Kickstarter for this sort of campaign, mainly because they allow you to fall short of your goal but still raise money; Kickstarter is all-or-nothing. The DRACO antiviral molecule discussed on Longecity was featured in an Indiegogo campaign, for example. If you ask for money to discover a copper-1 molecule, I think you'll be ignored. But if you ask for funds to raise awareness of the hazards of copper-2, or to push for legislation blocking its use in food, you might get somewhere.

Edited by resveratrol_guy, 31 December 2015 - 01:26 PM.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#603 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 31 December 2015 - 03:11 PM

It's probable that all men in that period of history behaved like criminals. Life was nasty Brutish and short in those days.
Does that mean that Resveratrol is ok to eat are grapes ok to eat?
@Resveratrol I thought you mentioned a paper a few months ago which said Resveratrol stops hippocampal growth?
What would you advise?
Could pterostilbene do the same?

#604 mag1

• 1,061 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 07:56 PM

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/25914621

#605 mag1

• 1,061 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:32 AM

@ceridwen Biology is hopelessly complicated. The great advance that science has been able to contribute to humanity

is to conduct highly controlled experiments in which only one variable is manipulated.

The problem is that science is an island to itself. Almost nothing else in life has been reduced to testable hypotheses.

Everything else is merely speculation. 

Resveratrol probably has hundreds of biological effects.

It is all so hopelessly complicated.

Notwithstanding everything I have said on the thread I suspect, though cannot prove, that chocolate, copper, and

many others are probably on balance mostly fairly safe.

All the same it is greatly worrisome how the above url noted that many metals have a range of neurotoxic effects.

Consider this analysis included 5 2+ oxidation state metals including magnesium and calcium.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3794368/

#606 resveratrol_guy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 05:53 PM

@mag1: That 2013 study raises more questions than it answers, first and foremost because it looked at plasma metal concentrations, which are often at odds with CSF concentrations. Most of it comes down to this graph. At least, they may have discovered a cheap biomarker for early AD. I see 2 trends of interest: (1) plasma iron is lower in both Chinese (Hong Kong, 2010) and Iranian AD patients than controls, which is consistent with the authors' citation of a study showing that this condition implies abnormally high CSF concentrations of copper; and (2) there is an enormous deficit in plasma cobalt and nickel -- which were not measured in the Iranians -- in Chinese AD patients.

So point #1 is surprising, because iron is supposed to be a great evil in AD. Maybe, once again, this comes down to oxidation state; it's unfortunate that the authors failed to differentiate between +2 and +3. Maybe hemoglobin ain't so bad after all, and what we really want to avoid is inorganic iron, like the kind found in vitamin pills. Indeed, I would be surprised if mussels caused dementia, even though they contain more hemoglobin per gram than beef.

But the cobalt and nickel deficit is astounding. These Hong Kong senior citizens grew up amid high levels of pollution, probably including high exposure to industrial metals until around 1990, when the city began to lose its factories. Logically, we would expect the AD patients to have had more exposure to these metals, leading to an increase in their plasma concentrations. Granted, these metals are nutrients in their natural forms, so perhaps plasma deficits imply CSF copper excesses. They do share various properties with iron, so I don't think this is a huge leap of speculation, given point #1. But then, chromium is clearly going the other way, with excesses contributing to AD, as we expect. Otherwise, I'm stumped.

Looking at the statistical distribution, I would say that plasma chromium should be lower than both cobalt and nickel, with high confidence. Otherwise you're in serious trouble. All 3 metals can be tested, although nickel may be available only as a 24h urine test.

@ceridwen: Despite being resveratrol_guy, I no longer take the stuff. Instead, I down about half a level teaspoon of pterostilbene per day, stirred up in a drink. It's not because I don't think resveratrol is useful; the science does show some beneficial effects on lipid profile, for one thing. It's just that the bang for the buck is less than pterostilbene (Pteropure), in my view.

Edited by resveratrol_guy, 01 January 2016 - 06:04 PM.

#607 mag1

• 1,061 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 06:11 PM

What I am noticing here is how many metals are popping up.

I am keeping track on a periodic table: There are only a few metals that are not yet marked up

(either neuroprotecing or neurodamaging.)

The first article cited above starts off with a list of known neurotoxic metals:

Lead, Mercury, Aluminum, Cadmium and Arsenic (possibly pesticides with metals content

and metal nanoparticles). 

Manganese is then added...then Titanium, Iron and Gold nanoparticles 

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/25914621

The next article added Zinc, Copper, Magnesium and Calcium.

In Figure 3, the Chinese subjects without AD appeared to have higher levels of Cobalt (2-5+) and

Nickel(1-2+) and less Chromium (2-3+).

It is notable that Cobalt, Nickel, and Beryllium are not even essential metals.

It is not clear whether Beryllium levels were different between AD and control.

A consistent result across the samples in this article was the higher Cu2+ and lower Zn2+ levels

in AD patients versus controls.

I was very impressed that such a clear result was obtained once a principal components analysis

was done. By just looking at the numbers it is difficult to see much of anything. However, when the

analysis was done the first group divided exactly into 2 distinct groups: AD and control. It does

make me wonder if there were some over-fitting involved. How could measuring the content of

5 metals in serum possibly be so explanatory of AD?

Does anyone know how to do a PCA?

The article provides all the numbers. It would be interesting to rerun the numbers. If we were to know

how it was done then others with AD could also have these measurements done to verify the result.   

"In CSF, however, the concentrations of vanadium, manganese, rubidium, antimony, cesium and lead

were significantly lower among subjects with AD (p <or= 0.010) and AD + vasc (p <or= 0.047) than

in controls."

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/18463412

Lithium has been tried as a treatment for Alzheimer's.

This is nearly a complete list of all of the metals.

The only reason why there are not even more is probably because people simply are not likely to be

exposed to them.

res, the iron connection with AD appears stronger pre-symptomatically

"The damaging effects of the at‐risk combinations were limited to those without dementia and were

not seen in those with fully developed Alzheimer's disease. This is consistent with the view that

misregulated iron and the associated oxidative stress exert their harmful influence in the preclinical

phase of Alzheimer's disease  ... The lack of any raised iron status associated with the at‐risk

combinations in patients with mature Alzheimer's disease could be due to iron withholding

(anaemia of inflammation), as Alzheimer's disease is a chronic inflammatory condition."

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17047092

Edited by mag1, 02 January 2016 - 06:31 PM.

#608 resveratrol_guy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:43 AM

Beryllium is fantastically toxic and should not be in our bodies at all, but of course I'm not surprised that it's showing up. I disagree that the plasma zinc and copper concentrations really differed between AD and nonAD; it was barely statistically significant, if at all. Of course, that has little to do with CSF concentrations or, more importantly, zinc and copper ions embedded in brain plaque and thus hidden from external observation.

As to that heavy metals study, their conclusion was: "Besides the raised plasma mercury concentrations, no consistent metal pattern in plasma or CSF was observed in patients with AD." So it sounds like the oddly low heavy metals concentrations in AD CSF may have been statistically insignificant. It could also be that mercury somehow competed with and flushed out those other metals as it wreaked havoc on neurons. Mercury is worse for neurons than any other nonradioactive heavy metal, on account of the way it destroys actin and normal tau. Once again, though, this looks like a smoking gun. It's almost like we need to teach the importance of chelation in elementary school, so kids know how to avoid these problems before they emerge into the polluted world. And how ironic it is that our most familiar source of omega-3 is often tainted with mercury, that being popular game fish such as tuna.

All this makes me wonder whether aggressive chelation therapy at the very earliest indications of memory loss would prevent AD. I'm speculating on this possibility because, as you pointed out, it's the most effective monotherapy we have for established AD, but it probably hasn't been studied much in early stage disease because, after all, why would anyone go to such lengths (and such expenditure) for a mild disease condition? There is some evidence from Japanese studies that cilantro is an excellent mercury chelator (thanks, Playground). I can dig them up if anyone wants the data. I would also want to look into low-risk-high-effectiveness chelation agents.

#609 mag1

• 1,061 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:24 AM

I have been having a ton of fun this weekend going through the PCA analysis in the below study.

I could post all the freeware software urls and the code that I have to make it easier for those who might be interested to run through this.

It would also be helpful to help work through a few of the lingering questions I have about what was done in the study.

(I am surprised that they did not report back more of their dataset in the article, with virtual publishing you do not have worry about the trees anymore.) 

It still is not completely clear to me why they included magnesium and calcium in the PCA. The 4th and 5th component axes did not contribute much

value to the study. I would be interested to see what would happen if you simply discarded Mg and Ca.

Their study showed how using a 3D model you can capture quite a bit of what is happening in AD by simply looking at Cu,Zn and Fe ions.

It is true that when only looking at the 1D stats for copper and zinc you do not have much of a separation, though by moving into higher dimensions the study found

complete separation of the datasets. They were able to analyze through the complexity to find the higher order complexity (and toxicity) of these neurotoxic metals.

The concerns that we have raised on our thread appear to be confirmed in their study.

One of the only things I could not figure out was how to plot 3D points with the freeware software Scilab. The program let you plot almost everything else in 3D, just not points. 

Edited by mag1, 04 January 2016 - 02:26 AM.

• like x 1

#610 mag1

• 1,061 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 01:46 AM

There has no doubt been great anticipation around the world for the release of my Scilab code for the article on Metals and Dementia

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3794368/  .

Attached to this post is the very same code. 

Just download the free Scilab program and copy and paste the entire attached file into the Scilab Console and you're all set.

You can read some of the documentation in the attached file for the details (such as the url for the software etc.).

There are, though, a few lingering questions that I have.

For instance in Figure 3 of the article, box plots for many of the metals did not seem significantly different between AD and Control.

When I ran a statistical test in the program to detect differences it was found that all the metals levels were significantly different.

See lines 1123-1143 in the code for the test.

Is there a mistake here? (The line numbers will show up when the attached file is pasted into the file editor (not the console).)

I am also unclear why they PCAed the whole dataset. I reran PCA on AD only and Control only data (lines 830-943 for the AD patients and 

lines 1005-1121 for Controls). Would it not make more sense to run the PCA approach on each of the groups separately?

The eigenvalues and some of the eigenvector values appeared to change quite a bit once the separate groups were used.

For instance, when the entire first dataset is PCAed the 3 component axes explained 81%,10%, and 9% of total variance.

Yet, when the AD patients were PCAed the component axes explained 55%, 31%, and 14% of total variance. I would have

thought that taking subgroups would have resulted in the principal component axis explaining more of the variance. Yet,

perhaps when having a more homogenous subset of subjects features that would have been averaged over in the overall dataset  

become more apparent.

The result of the PCA lines 232-250 is also somewhat a mystery. Is the FinalDatanew matrix (lines 245-250) accurate?

Someone might like to attach the second dataset from the article so that we work through that dataset.

Anyone interested could offer some additional suggestions. We could work collaboratively.

It is somewhat surprising that science articles do not include more of the type of code that is attached here

as it would allow others to do further processing. However, the authors of the article should be praised for

actually including the dataset with the article. Including such information should be encouraged.

Attached Files

#611 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:04 AM

I have found that I do have copper pipes attached to the boiler for heating water and a copper tank water container also an aluminium one.I had a habit of taking hot steamy baths. I must have inhaled loads of impurities. This seems to be the cause. The signs of this bout of decline started in the bath. I was forgetting to rinse my hair or put the conditioner on things like that.Could anyone advise me as to what sort of water filter to use?

#612 mag1

• 1,061 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:47 AM

ceridwen, have you had your serum copper, zinc, iron, magnesium, and/or calcium measured?

The article that went through the PCA excluded those with Lyme disease among several other illnesses, though it would be of interest to 

see which group you were predicted to fall within.

In the software I wrote there is a function that can determine which group would contain the nearest neighbor for anyone with the above

metal information. Longitudinal studies probably have not been done yet on these metals, so it would not be clear what treatments might 

be helpful, yet it would be enlightening to test the results from the study especially as you might fall in the murky zone of MCI. In the article this

group was not classified accurately.

Edited by mag1, 12 January 2016 - 01:48 AM.

#613 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:36 AM

I have found that I do have copper pipes attached to the boiler for heating water and a copper tank water container also an aluminium one.I had a habit of taking hot steamy baths. I must have inhaled loads of impurities. This seems to be the cause. The signs of this bout of decline started in the bath. I was forgetting to rinse my hair or put the conditioner on things like that.Could anyone advise me as to what sort of water filter to use?

ceridwen, if there were metal ions in your bath water, they wouldn't be found in the steam.  At the low concentrations you'd be dealing with, transdermal absorption would not be a big contributor, so I don't think that bathing will have been a big problem for you.  The main thing that you want to avoid is eating and drinking metal ions.  I use a Brita Pitcher-- their new filters remove copper and various other metals.  That's a relatively low cost solution. 

• Good Point x 1

#614 mag1

• 1,061 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 04:06 AM

Very exciting!

Yet more research supporting a copper sub-type of AD.

Looks like the researchers are in the process of moving this ahead.

Article also mentions that "a new CE certified test (C4D test, 2012 CE certified test code n. 1211662)"

is coming online.

With biology there are often so many wrong turns that you never want to be too excited, though this truly does look

exciting. If there is a substantial population of AD patients who simply have a copper problem (article suggests this as 60%),

then we are talking a truly stunning amount of savable healthcare resources if a copper lowering treatment could be proven

effective ( um, perhaps zinc?). Our loved one with severe dementia, no APOE epsilon 4s, came back with homozygous

risk variants for rs1061472 (GG), and rs732774 (TT) ATP7B  (both are on 23andme) noted in the article.  

If I were handing out some of that B note that America has just stepped up with for AD research, then I think I would

be dropping some of it on metals research especially the non-CP copper narrative.

As the article pointed out even after all these years the research is still fairly granular: They only considered

3 ATP7B SNPs, though there are many others that are known in this gene and others (ATOX1 and COMMD1)

that are involved in non-CP copper metabolism. We really should be seeing a spreading of interest in the global

research community into this by now.

There is way too much money on the table now for concerted action not to be taken.

That billion that will be spent every year in America for AD research will soon only equal the cost to care for

Americans coping with dementia for a single day. The metals hypothesis could offer a truly massive financial

payoff.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/26758278

Edited by mag1, 16 January 2016 - 04:19 AM.

• Good Point x 1

#615 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 16 January 2016 - 06:11 AM

@miner I like my baths to be very steamy so I could have been inhaling the copper in the air? Surely there is no safe level? That combined with imbibing a lot of chocolate and other copper containing foods probably caused it.

#616 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 16 January 2016 - 06:13 AM

Copper levels when tested last year 150% above normal.

#617 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 16 January 2016 - 06:17 AM

@mag1 I think I fall into the category subjective dementia. I had MCI probably for all my adult life. This is much worse

#618 resveratrol_guy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 07:18 AM

risk variants for rs1061472 (GG), and rs732774 (TT) ATP7B  (both are on 23andme) noted in the article.

rs1061472 is C-or-T according to 23andMe, which contradicts A-or-G as noted in the article and your GG above, does it not? Look it up in your own 23andMe and see what it says.

#619 mag1

• 1,061 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 05:06 PM

res, you are right. I just took this to be one of those strand flip issues: I used C for G and A for T.  

Our loved one also hit a homozygous variant at rs1801249 which the article notes is in the Wilson disease database.

Another extremely rare variant in the COMMD1 of low quality appeared in our loved ones exome file.

Mutation Taster called it disease causing.

All in all our loved one has a long list of variants in the metals pathway (Including the HFE C282Y variant).

Investigating metals as a cause of dementia might not be favored in the pharmaceutical industry as it could be seen as

a low return investment. A bottle of zinc citrate is unpatentable. However, by not removing subgroups such as Copper AD

any signal from a drug that might be effective in a more focused definition of dementia would be lost. Perhaps the

pharmaceutical industry will start making serious money in AD dementia when they more carefully define what AD dementia is.

Edited by mag1, 16 January 2016 - 05:08 PM.

• Enjoying the show x 1

#620 mag1

• 1,061 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 06:49 PM

I wonder if there could be an epigenetic side of the metals and AD hypothesis.

Perhaps metals exposures or other factors could influence the metals pathways

resulting in epigenetically disregulated metals processing.

• Agree x 1

#621 resveratrol_guy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 07:16 AM

@mag1, if you have a consolidated list of metal SNPs, please post. I know you've mentioned several but it sounds like you've researched this in detail and might have a handy list. It would help the rest of us 23andMe them.

• Agree x 3

#622 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 January 2016 - 10:32 AM

Good information, thank you. Depending on our AD risk and copper metabolism a preventive low copper nutrition plan is maybe a good idea. This study points to this and also indicates the most important genes involved in the copper metabolism (e.g. ATP7B, ATOX1, and COMMD1) which we can look at.

Low-copper diet as a preventive strategy for Alzheimer's disease.

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../?term=24913894

I also reported it in my personalized nutrition thread.

• like x 1

#623 mag1

• 1,061 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 03:25 AM

We have been missing out on the aluminum (silica) side of this.

These metals almost seem unescapable: It is noted below that global aluminum production is still ramping up.

Early life metals exposure leading to metal nucleation and later life neurodegeneration. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/15488650

Aluminum and commercial considerations.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/25386158

Even worried the bumblebees might be getting Alzheimer's from aluminum.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/26042788

#624 resveratrol_guy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:38 PM

These metals almost seem unescapable: It is noted below that global aluminum production is still ramping up.

Early life metals exposure leading to metal nucleation and later life neurodegeneration. 

Neonicotinoid pesticides, which have been blamed for bee colony collapse disorder, don't seem to contain aluminum, so it sounds like this contamination is coming from elsewhere.

In any event, 4 of us seem to agree that we would like a copy of your metals SNP list. What do you say?

#625 resveratrol_guy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:41 PM

Neonicotinoid pesticides, which have been blamed for bee colony collapse disorder, don't seem to contain aluminum, so it sounds like this contamination is coming from elsewhere.

By the way, aluminum (Al) is a metalloid whereas silica (SiO2) is the oxide of silicon, usually tainted with up to 15% boron. Silica comes in crystalline and amporphous (glass) forms, with the former being an inhalation hazard and the latter usually being tainted with up to 15% boron, but I see no connection to AD, whereas aluminum is probably of comparable hazard as bivalent copper.

In any event, 4 of us seem to agree that we would like a copy of your metals SNP list. What do you say?

Edited by resveratrol_guy, 18 January 2016 - 02:43 PM.

#626 mag1

• 1,061 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 11:53 PM

res, I was thinking of the research that has been done that found silica water reduces aluminum levels.

I have just added the silica water to my zinc regimen.

I do not have a magic list of the metals SNPs, I would give it you if I had one. As the recently cited articles on

copper AD have noted, most of this has flown underneath the radar of the large GWAS studies. I will be very

interested to see what they might be able to find when they take this to whole genome sequencing.Our loved

one has hit quite a few of the variants (several of them rare) in the metals pathway as reported in the exome file.

Most of the important variants affecting metals processing would not show up on a typical 23andme type genechip. 

Individual SNPs that increase AD risk by even minuscule amount should already have appeared in the research. The recent

copper AD articles seem to be proposing that the AD risk lies in various combinations of genotypes. This is still mostly

for those wanting an off-road adventure.

Complete GWAS datasets should be released. Not doing so would appear to be a large affront to the hard working taxpayers

that have funded these studies. It would seem to me that an open science argument lurks here:

Publish complete genetic datasets for the GWAS and let researchers and others scour through the information.

It seems very wrong that whenever researchers want to do any genetic studies (e.g. investigate copper AD) they almost always need

to start from square 1.

• Agree x 1

#627 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:07 AM

resveratrol_guy,

I am sorry to bother you, but I believe you have mentioned trying several things with a significant member of your family. My condolences that there has not been a complete solution.

Would you post what you have tried, and maybe what you might be currently leaning towards? You mentioned Pterostilbine in another thread, and I am wondering about a good source of bulk powdered U.S. sources?

mag1, it is interesting that you are trying the silica water. .

Edited by heisoktoday, 19 January 2016 - 02:08 AM.

• Agree x 1

#628 resveratrol_guy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:30 PM

resveratrol_guy,

I am sorry to bother you, but I believe you have mentioned trying several things with a significant member of your family. My condolences that there has not been a complete solution.

Would you post what you have tried, and maybe what you might be currently leaning towards? You mentioned Pterostilbine in another thread, and I am wondering about a good source of bulk powdered U.S. sources?

Dementia is a catch-all term for many different diseases. What you first need is a diagnosis. I mean, it is "copper AD" or beri beri or TBI or vascular dementia or Parkinson's dementia or a MTHFR mutation or what? There are very different treatments depending on the particular pathology, and a lot of precious time and money can be wasted pursuing inappropriate ones. That said, I take my research advice from scientific publications, not the FDA.

If you just want a short list of some of the better treatments which may or may not suit any particular case, I would suggest researching, in no particular order: (1) chelation or zinc supplementation to evict copper, as we've just been discussing here; (2) mesenchymal stem cell therapy; (3) methylcobalamin and methylfolate supplementation; (4) shiitake-maitake extract; (5) ashitaba and ashitaba chalcone; (6) intranasal NGF administration; (7) Curcubrain; (8) LLLT therapy; (9) dark chocolate low in lead and cadmium (e.g. Edangered Species 88%); (10) juices rich in kale (watch kidney effects, and see also the Kame dementia study); and (11) lion's mane mushroom. There are many other novel approaches here on Longecity, as in the Brain Health section.

As to Pterostilbene, I recommend Pteropure from Chromadex. They have a very deep auditing process which allows them to know the precise levels of VOC comtamination of each sample. Just be careful: until you learn your dosing limits, be advised that you could actually crash your blood glucose if you take upwards of 200 mg in one dose. It certainly does suppress hunger within an hour or so.

Edited by resveratrol_guy, 19 January 2016 - 01:32 PM.

• Informative x 4

#629 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:22 PM

Thank you very much.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#630 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:42 PM

resveratrol_guy,

Dementia is a catch-all term for many different diseases. What you first need is a diagnosis. I mean, it is "copper AD" or beri beri or TBI or vascular dementia or Parkinson's dementia or a MTHFR mutation or what? There are very different treatments depending on the particular pathology, and a lot of precious time and money can be wasted pursuing inappropriate ones. That said, I take my research advice from scientific publications, not the FDA.

If you just want a short list of some of the better treatments which may or may not suit any particular case, I would suggest researching, in no particular order: (1) chelation or zinc supplementation to evict copper, as we've just been discussing here; (2) mesenchymal stem cell therapy; (3) methylcobalamin and methylfolate supplementation; (4) shiitake-maitake extract; (5) ashitaba and ashitaba chalcone; (6) intranasal NGF administration; (7) Curcubrain; (8) LLLT therapy; (9) dark chocolate low in lead and cadmium (e.g. Edangered Species 88%); (10) juices rich in kale (watch kidney effects, and see also the Kame dementia study); and (11) lion's mane mushroom. There are many other novel approaches here on Longecity, as in the Brain Health section.

As to Pterostilbene, I recommend Pteropure from Chromadex. They have a very deep auditing process which allows them to know the precise levels of VOC comtamination of each sample. Just be careful: until you learn your dosing limits, be advised that you could actually crash your blood glucose if you take upwards of 200 mg in one dose. It certainly does suppress hunger within an hour or so.

I couldn't have said it better myself RG.

Just to add:

Diabetes of the brain where it can't use carbs as an energy source anymore, but the lights come back on when using MCT or Coconut oil as an alternate energy source.
Google

Dr. Mary Newport Alzheimer's 

for more info.

This is becoming known as Diabetes type 3.

Personally I'd prefer VCO to MCT as the C12/Lauric acid (and close relatives) is known to strip the lipid layer off of virii, (and bacteria with similar defences) exposing them to the immune system and decreasing their ability to dock with and infect cells.

There is some evidence that some dementias are related to viral infections.  

Note that once the virii, etc are exposed to the immune sys; boosting the immune system with Olive Leaf Extract and Astragalus etc is worth considering IMHO.

Edited by Logic, 19 January 2016 - 08:43 PM.

• Agree x 1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users