• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

TREASURE CHESTS REQUEST, Mission forfillment request.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

#1 thefirstimmortal

• Life Member The First Immortal
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 07:31 PM

The stated mission and function of this organization is to conquer the blight of involuntary death. In fact, that is the expressed main mission.

Article II. -- Mission & Function
Section 1 -- Main Mission
The mission of ImmInst is to conquer the blight of involuntary death.

Section 2 further states that ImmInst shall function as an “organization to help its members succeed in working towards the possibility of human physical immortality.”

Section 2 -- Umbrella Organization
ImmInst shall function as an umbrella organization to help its members succeed in working towards the possibility of human physical immortality. This Institute shall serve as a platform for the exhibition, exchange, debate, and creation of concepts and methods toward that end as well as to physical immortality.

Immortality Institute was formed under the Section 501©(3) of the Internal Revenue Code in part to be in part a Charitable Organization. Immortality Institute is organized exclusively for charitable, educational, and scientific purposes.

Section 4 -- Nonprofit Educational & Charitable Organization
ImmInst is organized exclusively for charitable, educational, and scientific purposes as may qualify it as exempt from federal income tax under applicable sections of the Internal Revenue Code (1986), as amended, or corresponding section(s) of any future federal tax code. Notwithstanding any other provisions in this Constitutions or in the Bylaws, ImmInst shall not engage in any activities that would endanger its status as exempt from federal income tax under Section 501©(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or its status as a corporation, contributions to which are deductible under Section 170©(2) of the Internal Revenue Code.

I found this post

There have been a few projects suggested lately (research fund, scholarship fund, etc.) that Imminst may be spending money on, please take a little time to comment and vote on any proposals that come forward. Also, if any member has an idea for a project that might require Imminst funds, please present a detailed outline for discussion and voting. All ideas are welcome.

I would like to forward a proposal.
Since ImmInst shall function as an organization to help its members succeed in working towards the possibility of human physical immortality and ImmInst's mission is to conquer the blight of involuntary death, I am requesting assistance to that end in the form of charitable giving.

One of your members is dying, what would be more consistent with the stated mission than attempting to rescue one of you own members from death? I am about to suffer an involuntary death. This organization has an opportunity to put some real meaning behind its mission.

Currently, my understanding is that there is a TREASURE CHESTS, where 6 individuals control 800 dollars each, that they may decide spend in furtherance of this organizations mission. I am not currently aware of any projects that are under consideration at the moment.

According to Caliban

B2) ImmInst has an obligation to spend its treasure in furtherance of its mission, not to hoard it.

I am currently requesting that each one of you Kenneth Sills, Bruce Klein, Shane Greenup, John Schloendorn, Sebastian Sethe and Richard Leis consider using the funds to purchase vitamins and any other life extension product to help reverse or slow down the progression of my cancer.

Live Long and Well
William C. O’Rights

#2 Matthias

• 851 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:33 PM

Here is an additional idea: The "Dr. Rath Health Foundation" develops highly dosed vitamin supplements. One of their goals is to fight cancer cells without harming normal cells.
Their approach is very controversial. This is a short description of it:
http://www4.dr-rath-..._speech2001.htm

Someone I know said, she has heard, that sometimes they take in cancer patients in their research program, who then are given lysine and vitamins within the scope of their research for free.
If that was still the case, it might help too.
Dr. Rath Health Foundation
P.O. Box 4103
Santa Clara, CA 95056-4103
Phone: +1-800-648-7171
or online:
http://www4.dr-rath-...act/contact.php

#3 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 10:14 PM

I thank you for taking the time to post Matthias. Before I even attempt to contact them, they are located some 3,000 miles away. How would that work?

Here is an additional idea: The "Dr. Rath Health Foundation" develops highly dosed vitamin supplements. One of their goals is to fight cancer cells without harming normal cells.
Their approach is very controversial. This is a short description of it:
http://www4.dr-rath-..._speech2001.htm

Someone I know said, she has heard, that sometimes they take in cancer patients in their research program, who then are given lysine and vitamins within the scope of their research for free.
If that was still the case, it might help too.
Dr. Rath Health Foundation
P.O. Box 4103
Santa Clara, CA 95056-4103
Phone: +1-800-648-7171
or online:
http://www4.dr-rath-...act/contact.php

#4 Matthias

• 851 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 10:41 PM

I am not sure if you have to be at their laboratories. I hope there is a way they support patients by sending them their supplements and check the results with the local treating physician.

#5 Mariusz

• 164 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 10:50 PM

I am currently requesting that each one of you Kenneth Sills, Bruce Klein, Shane Greenup, John Schloendorn, Sebastian Sethe and Richard Leis consider using the funds to purchase vitamins and any other life extension product to help reverse or slow down the progression of my cancer.

Come on! Didn't you notice that currently " conquer the blight of involuntary death" means "discuss new name for two months and end up with the old one"?

BTW. do you have a list somewhere with items that you need?

Mariusz

#6 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 01:54 AM

Come on! Didn't you notice that currently " conquer the blight of involuntary death" means "discuss new name for two months and end up with the old one"?

LOL

Mariusz

I’m going to be compiling a list. I posted this thread at this time largely because Missminni is pushing for me to take Resveratrol. I’m glad that Missminni is giving me a nudge because I really wanted to get all of my medical data up first, complete researched list, what I took, the evidence that it had an effect, cost of a light program, cost of an aggressive program ect ect. Really, without that nudge it would easily have been another month before I started this thread, but my prognosis is that I will pass in October, so I really need to step it up a bit.

Below is the link to a post that had a list that I had started researching while in the hospital this past January. I didn’t research everything on the list. Again, I’m behind the eight ball here.

http://www.imminst.o...&...st&p=251618

I see Mind and Richard Lewis have already read this thread. I do look forward to reading their responses. I don’t expect that everyone will agree with this request. I expect objections like, “we don’t want to set a precedent”, and that’s fine. I’m cool with that or any other reason that might be advanced.

Three people have already given assistance, Mygene Shepard and Mixter. People have given in other areas also. Advice, information, leads, and members have given support and words of encouragement. I hope the organizations as a whole gets behind this.

#7 Mariusz

• 164 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 01:17 PM

LOL

Mariusz

I'm going to be compiling a list. I posted this thread at this time largely because Missminni is pushing for me to take Resveratrol. I'm glad that Missminni is giving me a nudge because I really wanted to get all of my medical data up first, complete researched list, what I took, the evidence that it had an effect, cost of a light program, cost of an aggressive program ect ect. Really, without that nudge it would easily have been another month before I started this thread, but my prognosis is that I will pass in October, so I really need to step it up a bit.

Then just post few, most important items, this way people that want to help will know what to do.

Mariusz

#8 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 02:55 PM

We should support our members, especially long time members who have contributed a great deal to the scientific and philosophical discourse around here. I will discuss this with the directors at our next meeting, we'd have to have some parameters as to how many people are helped yearly, to what extent etc. In William's case, we can be assured that he would be writing about his own fight with the cancer-what supplements are being used, how they are supposed to be working/vs how they are working, this would be invaluable to us all.

#9 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 06:05 PM

From experience, if you write out a proposal that includes a cost breakdown, there will be less 'resistance' as the uncertainties are less. It gives people some meat to chew on so to speak, allows them to make agreements on budget per treasure chest, etc.

#10 Mixter

• 788 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 06:41 PM

Hi. Um, so when is that next director's meeting? I'm asking because
his prognosis is not that good (august-october according to him).

So, it would be important that you voted on this fast (or allow a
poll open to members for 2-3 days). You could also vote on the
range of money you would grant, e.g. options for 2000, 5000, 10000$,
whereas a vote for a higher amount includes votes for the lower amounts.

I've been ImmInst member for over 2 years and known you almost since
2001, and I'm all over the institute's goals. But, also seeing that you
will try helping a member with such a grave problem to survive, if not
forever, then at least many more months to justify his cryonics arrangements,
would be much more moving to me. Also this would be a great moving
introductory story I wouldn't hesitate to tell other people about the institute.

Among our members, the combination of a terminal illness and being broke,
should be rare enough, so that this wouldn't exhaust ImmInst treasure as it
most likely won't occur often. I would expect this kind of help for every member
of the community. But if this happened more than every five years or so, I'd
assume that then we would then already have a huge enough full member base
that the expenses would not matter.

Edited by mixter, 21 July 2008 - 06:45 PM.

#11 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 07:30 PM

Hi. Um, so when is that next director's meeting? I'm asking because
his prognosis is not that good (august-october according to him).

Board meetings are generally weekly, open to members, and are announced via a post in the members forum.

#12 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 July 2008 - 08:41 PM

Probably best not to mix this situation with PR or "scientific test" opportunities. I'm sure that's not the primary intention of people posting contributions to this (or the other) thread, but these are issues to keep separated carefully imo. The first concern should be to help.

I don't know what your plan is William, but I would like to spend 100$ for your health.

Any idea's on how to coordinate initiatives so that optimal synergistic results could be achieved? Probably it's up to William to develop some sort of plan with the aid of his treating doctors? Or other experts in the field?

Edited by SubZero, 21 July 2008 - 08:43 PM.

#13 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 08:55 PM

Treasure chest expenditures do not require membership approval. It is up to each director.

From experience, if you write out a proposal that includes a cost breakdown, there will be less 'resistance' as the uncertainties are less. It gives people some meat to chew on so to speak, allows them to make agreements on budget per treasure chest, etc.

I agree with cnorwood here. If you are planning to megadose on resveratrol, curcumin, broccoli extract, etc... try to estimate a cost, or have someone look into it for you. If the cost of a 2-3 month regimen is $1,400 (hypothetical) then each director could contribute $200.

There will be a director meeting this week, most likely on Wednesday.

Of course there is nothing stopping a "membership drive", as Subzero has already hinted at.

#14 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:20 PM

A budget plan is one thing, getting the best bang for the buck is something else....

#15 thughes

• 262 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:06 PM

Could have the directors set up a paypal donate somewhere (eg in a thread somewhere) for the membership drive, seems to have worked somewhat for the guy who runs amygdala.

(In fact that would be a cool thing for any/at least some treasure chest expenditure(s), allow members to put more money into that particular expenditure...)

- Tracy

#16 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:35 AM

WOW,

OK everyone, I don't have time to respond to all of this tonight. I will attend to this thread tomorrow. I just spent several hours responding to PM's and have a few more to go. I would like to throw one thing out there for now. Apparently there are several members who wish to send me money and have PM'ed me about that. I don't want money sent directly to me for several reasons, I would rather donations and gifts be sent to a special fund that goes to Imminst. That way people can be assured that the money was spent for it's intended purpose, and, oh yeah, that would make it tax deductable wouldn't it :~ That would make it so members claim it on their taxes and pay the government a little less. Waddya say :)

#17 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 04:42 AM

Your point is well taken Cnorwood. I don't really have a specific proposal at this time. For starters, I just wanted to know if there was any interest at all in doing this.

Edited by thefirstimmortal, 23 July 2008 - 06:07 AM.

#18 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:44 AM

I'm trying to get all my data up here. Old notes that I took while at the hospital, volumes of data I had copied off the web. I read several books, 12-15, that I took page numbers down. I can get the books at the library by Inter library for 2 dollars a book. I have already put in my limit of 5 requests and two books are already in. I have to reconstruct all that data here, and I will do it as fast as I can.

As far as my doctors go, they won’t be involved. They don’t understand alternate methods. I do plan on switching to doctors who do understand.

I don't know what your plan is William, but I would like to spend 100$ for your health.

Any idea's on how to coordinate initiatives so that optimal synergistic results could be achieved? Probably it's up to William to develop some sort of plan with the aid of his treating doctors? Or other experts in the field?

#19 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 05:33 AM

I will be gone this weekend, visiting my Grandparents. I will get back to posting on Monday, and try to answer any unanswered material.
Live Long and Well.

#20 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 03:52 PM

Hey Bill

I am privileged to have been entrusted with a small 'treasure chest' of ImmInst money. Thanks for making the very first application. You are right to give us a kick up the backside that way.

However, I don't think it is commensurate with my duties as caretaker of pooled finances to spend money on the health of a single member, even if it is a member of long standing. I also could not spend such money on spurious miracle cures. You will appreciate that there are also legal issues to be considered when transferring money in such a manner.

What I think we can spend money on, might be infrastructure.
For example, we could establish a platform where ImmInst facilitates directed donations to a particular charitable cause. We could establish procedures for supporting a guarantor, an individual who is trusted in the community, who conducts the necessary due diligence, solicits donations, assists with fact-finding, works the media, and assists the individuals and their families as much as possible.

Another example could be to spend money on establishing links to clinical trial networks, so we can get our members into such trials.

In certain situations, I think we could also assist with supplementing standby or transport costs for cryonics. While this deviates from the 'not for individual cures' guideline, I think that crynonics as a last resort option is sufficiently special that some light structural support would be endorsed by many members.

Just some ideas, there are other options.

My thoughts and wishes are with you.

#21 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 12:11 AM

I don't have a treasurers chest, or I would contribute some to your case-it seems many of our members support it. I don't think that Bill's case is trying to mount a spurious miracle cure, I feel he has highly detailed records and the ability to take copious notes, and his sharing could also benefit our other ImmInst members. I'm in agreement with Caliban's other ideas though ;) .

What I think we can spend money on, might be infrastructure.
For example, we could establish a platform where ImmInst facilitates directed donations to a particular charitable cause. We could establish procedures for supporting a guarantor, an individual who is trusted in the community, who conducts the necessary due diligence, solicits donations, assists with fact-finding, works the media, and assists the individuals and their families as much as possible.

Another example could be to spend money on establishing links to clinical trial networks, so we can get our members into such trials.

#22 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 03:45 PM

Before the week is through, I will post a list

Mariusz

#23 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:00 PM

Treasure chest expenditures do not require membership approval. It is up to each director.

My understanding is that these expenditures don't need aproval of the board either.

"2008 Treasure Chest Scheme"

1) Each member of the board, other than the chair, is authorized to spend $800 during 2008, without having to seek a majority vote from the entire board

I agree with cnorwood here. If you are planning to megadose on resveratrol, curcumin, broccoli extract, etc... try to estimate a cost, or have someone look into it for you. If the cost of a 2-3 month regimen is $1,400 (hypothetical) then each director could contribute $200.

I don't want to put the cart before the horse. While I will get a list up before the week is over, I don't think it would be productive to make a proposal. If I had started one, it would have already needed revisions because some members have given some of the products that would have made the list. Also, for all I know, everyone might give it thumbs down, making it a waste of time to even make such a proposal. Time is something I don't have to waste.
I can't guess at what level of interest there is with those entrusted with the funds, so for now if we could just get all 6 to answer what they may or may do, that would be useful.

Edited by thefirstimmortal, 28 July 2008 - 04:02 PM.

#24 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:14 PM

There will be a director meeting this week, most likely on Wednesday.

How did that go Justin? I'm having problems with accessing all that. I wanted to go in and listen to every board meeting that has been posted there, actually, I want to listen to eveything that you have up there. I was fairly impressed at the concept of having all that information up there, just got frustrated trying to access it.

#25 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 06:00 PM

I am aware that the Ustream site is a little flaky at times, but it the best value for the Institute right now. You need the latest flash player plug-in in your browser to view the videos - usually your OS or browser will alert you. We will be having another open Board meeting this week, but the time is not yet set, however, I will suggest Wednesday at 6pm ET.

#26 Matthias

• 851 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 06:09 PM

The NEW link to the videos is:

This is the link to the board meeting video from July 23th 08:
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/579742

If it doesn't work, you can download a newer version of your flash player plug-in here:
http://www.adobe.com...=ShockwaveFlash

#27 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:14 PM

Mind post 13

Of course there is nothing stopping a "membership drive", as Subzero has already hinted at.

My thought on this are as follows. The members have already given, that is in part how you got the money in the treasure chest to begin with. Before any membership drive takes place I thought that I should request funds that already exist rather than request additional funds.

Should a membership drive take place, I figured I should make that appeal personally myself. What were you thinking with respect to a "membership drive"?

#28 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:22 AM

By the way, I understand this is a member only posting thread. Is there any reason why we can’t disclose the details of the Treasure Chest to the community at large so that registered users could participate in this discussion?

Of course, what I personally write here I feel free to repost elsewhere as long as I edit out information that has been disclosed here. My words I own, but other relevant data I do not. For example, that a Treasure Chest exists is known because one can see the topic header of even the members’ only threads (or at least that what I currently believe), but the topics contents are not available. For instance, I would never disclose that there is 800 dollars entrusted to 6 directors without your consent.

Can I get that consent? What would it take to get that consent?

#29 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 04:05 AM

Caliban post 20

Hey Bill

I am privileged to have been entrusted with a small 'treasure chest' of ImmInst money. Thanks for making the very first application.

Your welcome Caliban.

You are right to give us a kick up the backside that way.

Well, I don’t know that I was trying to give you all a kick up the backside. I just saw what I believed to be resources that were not being used and could be put to a higher use than just sitting there laying dormant. I however did call Laz last night to let him know of this thread, he had his funds earmarked for something that he had in mind, and it sounded like a well thought out use of his funds. Other Treasure Chest fund holders may have other project ideas, and that’s fine too. If all of these funds have a project home or a potential project home, that’s great, I just couldn’t tell. I read every thread in the members site and did not detect any discussion on it, so it appeared to me that the funds were available, but if they are not available that’s fine too.

However, I don't think it is commensurate with my duties as caretaker of pooled finances to spend money on the health of a single member, even if it is a member of long standing.

That’s a fair reason to reject the request; I’m cool with that Caliban. And I do want to thank you for coming down and answering the request in a straightforward manner. That’s all I’m looking for at this time, a simple thumbs up or thumbs down.

I also could not spend such money on spurious miracle cures.

Once again Caliban, a perfectly sound reason to reject the request. If you don’t believe in the power of vitamins you definitely should reject the request. That is a principled rejection and one that I can 100% respect.

Oh, by the way, I thought the whole program you set up was and is a very sound idea. It provides some flexibility that wasn’t apparently there prior to the setting up of the Treasure Chest program.

Live Long and Well

I respond to the rest of your post in a bit.

Attached Images

• frog_crocodiles_sm.jpg

#30 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 04:24 AM

With respect to Lazarus Long, I am withdrawing my request. I am withdrawing my request for the following reason. Lazarus has an intended use for his Treasure Chest allotment. Laz and I are personal friends, we go back many years, and it simply isn’t proper for me to keep that request open as it clearly places an undue influence to redirect his original intended use.
I am putting Laz down as No.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users