- - - - -

Sunscreen with matte finish

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Johan

• Guest, F@H
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 08:31 PM

Hi. I'm looking for a new sunscreen. I'm currently using RoC Minesol SPF 50+, following recommendations from Fredrik, but I find that it makes my face shinier and glossier than I'd like it to be. So I'm looking for a sunscreen that doesn't make my face shiny or glossy, but instead gives it more of a matte finish.

Do you know a good one, and where to find it? Preferably a site that ships to Sweden.

Thanks.

#2 spacey

• 241 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 10:19 PM

Try Nivea DNAge SPF 30, you can find it in most swedish stores so shipping won't be an issue.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 July 2008 - 07:11 AM

I'm using the SPF50 version of this. The finish is OK, but does anyone know it's quality regarding UVA protection?

#4 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 08:05 AM

This has dove-tailed with my thread about (not) re-applying which was somewhat limited by the "perma-shine" factor. Eva Kindly recommended the following:

QUOTE (Eva Victoria @ 20-Jul 2008, 03:52 PM)
"I also used Bioderma Photoderm Fluide Max SPF50+ and I ended up with the same conclusion as you: "looking a bit sweaty which is not the look I was after".
Bioderma Mineral SPF50+ is much more dewy, matte and generally a nicer sunscreen if you are not bothered by the whiteness.
Nothing is perfect I guess.

I still find Nivea Light Feeling Sensation sunscreen Spf30 or 50 the most cosmetically acceptable sunscreen I have seen. It is matt, non greasy and an ok sunscreen esp. if you add 20%ZnO additionaly into the sunscreen to boost its UVa protection. BTW, it has 5 stars on the UK bottle. But I don't believe it has such a good UVA protection though."

I have reached the conclusion that, for me, i will attain the best total protection using a screen that may be less than perfect in terms of its protection, but is bearable to use more often. This decision is largely based on vanity (not wanting to look/feel shiney), the same primary driver for protecting from the sun in the first place.

sentinel

#5 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 July 2008 - 01:02 PM

Try Nivea DNAge SPF 30, you can find it in most swedish stores so shipping won't be an issue.

Agree, that´s a good one. My friends like the finish and they don´t want to use the higher SPF ones that I use myself (LRP fluide extreme spf 50+).

#6 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 July 2008 - 01:11 PM

Hi. I'm looking for a new sunscreen. I'm currently using RoC Minesol SPF 50+, following recommendations from Fredrik, but I find that it makes my face shinier and glossier than I'd like it to be. So I'm looking for a sunscreen that doesn't make my face shiny or glossy, but instead gives it more of a matte finish.

Do you know a good one, and where to find it? Preferably a site that ships to Sweden.

Thanks.

I recommended La Roche Posay fluide extreme spf 50+ (and I still do) but you wanted one you could buy right away in a store. My sister didn´t like Minesol either, she found it to be to whitening, sorry about that :) Nivea DNAge spf 30 is a new sunscreen that people seem to like. SPF 30 will give you a SPF 3-5 in real life as most people apply 0.5 to 1.5 mg per square cm instead of the measured 2 mg.

Edited by Fredrik, 21 July 2008 - 01:12 PM.

#7 Johan

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 472 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 02:35 PM

I recommended La Roche Posay fluide extreme spf 50+ (and I still do) but you wanted one you could buy right away in a store.

Right you are, sorry about that. Well, that was the most convenient for me at the time.
How is the finish of La Roche Posay fluide extreme spf 50+?

#8 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 July 2008 - 05:35 PM

I recommended La Roche Posay fluide extreme spf 50+ (and I still do) but you wanted one you could buy right away in a store.

Right you are, sorry about that. Well, that was the most convenient for me at the time.
How is the finish of La Roche Posay fluide extreme spf 50+?

Like all good UVA/UVB sunscreens it´s a bit shiny. Not bad at all except when very humid (but those days I get that shiny/sweaty look even if I use nothing so). I sweep some mattening SPF 30 powder over it. I like both that one and the Bioderma fluide spf 50 but the Bioderma feels heavier so I only use the LRP fluide now. Bought 13 bottles when I ordered last.

SPF 50 will give you about SPF 7 in real life. And I want to use at least SPF 7 everyday so that´s why I use SPF 50+ daily.

So, for the best protection but not the best finish go for LRP fluide. For better finish try Nivea DNage spf 30. I find sunscreens are a trial and error thing. You´ll have to find something you tolerate, or like.

Edited by Fredrik, 21 July 2008 - 05:42 PM.

#9 luminous

• 269 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 12:54 AM

Sunforgettable by Colorescience is a clear powder sunscreen that gives a matte finish. I assume it provides a physical barrier because it "...relies on the reflective and refractive properties of micronized titanium dioxide and zinc oxide".
It's pricey, but it lasts a long time. Also, once you buy the first one, you can get refills for a bit less. I use it, and it's awesome. It truly takes away the shine on my face and looks perfectly natural.

http://skincarerx.co...x.html?pid=1035

(paraphrased from an earlier post of mine)

#10 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 02:38 AM

I recommended La Roche Posay fluide extreme spf 50+ (and I still do)

Can can recommend this too. While you can tell that I am wearing sunscreen when I use the product, you have to look very closely. It becomes even more aesthetically acceptable when you think of the protection it offers.

#11 sdxl

• 391 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 03:27 AM

I don't like the Minesol Fluid Cream SPF50+ on my face either. It is one of the most unnatural looking sunscreens I've tried so far. There is a tinted version of this sunscreen, but I don't think I'll be getting that since it was shiny. The LRP Anthelios Fluide Extreme SPF50+ has a better finish. Alternatively you could get the Vichy fluid, but it gives less UVA protection. Same for the L'Oréal Solar Expertise Matte fluid. This has fragrance and other L'Oréal goodies.

#12 spacetime

• 191 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 03:31 AM

I found that both the LRP and Bidoerma left a very shiny texture to one's skin. They also left a noticeable white cast to one's skin but not as bad as others, but you still look pale. Ideally there would be a sunscreen that had no white cast, was matte, and offered acceptable UVR protection. I've yet to find it though and while I was never really self-conscious about my appearance I get tired of people asking if I'm alright because of this white cast. Neutrogena's Helioplex sunscreens offered somewhat acceptable protection and I've found them to be fairly matte, but at the cost of looking like a mime. I'd readily accept a shiny finish if it left little or no white cast if anyone has good suggestions.

#13 siberia

• 91 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:05 PM

Does anyone know how this LRP Anthelios Fluide Extreme SPF50+ compare to Vichy labs´Capital Soleil SPF50+ cream, concerning shininess? I think the latter, which I use now, somehow facilitates the formation of acne, which had disappeared completely after a few months tazarotene treatment (while using another sunscreen), something I naturally wish to avoid...

Also Fredrik, I think you have mentioned it somewhere but can´t find nor remember it, where do you buy your Anthelios bottles?

Edited by siberia, 29 July 2008 - 06:24 PM.

#14 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:48 PM

Also Fredrik, I think you have mentioned it somewhere but can´t find nor remember it, where do you buy your Anthelios bottles?

La Roche-posay Anthelios fluide extreme SPF 50+

$20.50:

http://www.cosmetik-...X0XFN3685NFC0CF

Awful looking website. But trustworthy. I ordered 13 bottles recently + body and lip sunscreens.

#15 Johan

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 472 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:56 PM

Oh, regarding acne, I have another question: How is Nivea DNAge and La Roche Posay with regards to acne formation?

#16 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:03 PM

Oh, regarding acne, I have another question: How is Nivea DNAge and La Roche Posay with regards to acne formation?

I have only used the LRP and it doesn´t increase acne on my acne-prone skin. The LRP would be safer because it´s alcohol and silicone based and stated/tested not to be comedogenic. But go ahead and try the DNAge also. You can always use it on hands and neck if it doesn´t work out for you.

The LRP is more protective though with SPF 50+ (SPF 60 actually) and has got six UVA and partial UVA-filters + one pure UVB-filter, tocopherol and senna alata extract:

avobenzone

octocrylene

tinosorb S

titanium dioxide

mexoryl SX

mexoryl XL

ethylhexyl triazone (UVB-filter)

tocopherol

senna alata extract (trademark name DNage)

Edited by Fredrik, 29 July 2008 - 08:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users